PDA

View Full Version : Henshin Mystic Core abilities

Visty
12-29-2013, 09:21 PM
the henshin gets several spelllike abilities, now the wiki isnt clear on that:
are those abilities affected by metamagic feats?

edit: on a related note, i guess that fire and force spellpower boost them and that the spell lore items work on them as well?
and what spell school do they have?

TeacherSyn
12-30-2013, 11:48 AM
the henshin gets several spelllike abilities, now the wiki isnt clear on that:
are those abilities affected by metamagic feats?

edit: on a related note, i guess that fire and force spellpower boost them and that the spell lore items work on them as well?
and what spell school do they have?

Metamagic feats do NOT work with Henshin Mystic abilities. "Spell-like" and spells are different things, as ki is to magic.

That said, the class tree gains innate boosts as they level to Fire and Force damage, and all other bonuses from items and equipment also work with the Mystic's power, such as Equipment bonuses. They also gain bonuses when wielding a quarterstaff at any time. They've also gained better vulnerability increases to help offset enemy resistances.

So the Mystic's powers can't fully make them "spellcasting Monks," especially since ki is generated predominantly with melee fighting. They do gain the best passive ki regeneration options, as much as +6 ki by Epic levels (+7 if you take one Animal Form that adds +1 at 50% health). They also gain more Meditation turns (up to 5 versus 2 for all other Monks) than any other class tree. By Epic, a Mystic at rest will fully regenerate their ki bar in a few minutes.

The "disadvantage" with ki generation is your advantage. Eventually all casters will use up their potions. A Mystic can regenerate ki indefinitely and spam their spell-like attacks for as long as the player can fight.

Not being spell casters, Mystics aren't eligible for spell schools and since metamagics can't work for them, enrolling them shouldn't have any real effect to my understanding.

jeromekwah
02-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Not being spell casters, Mystics aren't eligible for spell schools and since metamagics can't work for them, enrolling them shouldn't have any real effect to my understanding.

Though not specifically a metamagic feat, the magical training feat can be taken with no prerequisites. It is of questionable value on a non-spell caster, but I imagine the +5% magic crit would do something for the henshin mystic SLAs.

TeacherSyn
02-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Though not specifically a metamagic feat, the magical training feat can be taken with no prerequisites. It is of questionable value on a non-spell caster, but I imagine the +5% magic crit would do something for the henshin mystic SLAs.

Since the Mystics gain those inherent crit chances to Fire and Force attacks from core abilities, you may be right.

Scrag
02-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Since the Mystics gain those inherent crit chances to Fire and Force attacks from core abilities, you may be right.

Considering that all of the EK bits work for a mystic, I would say so as well.