PDA

View Full Version : new player looking for a new mmorpg

jkyle87
12-27-2013, 10:59 PM
hey everyone , just a question for you all . so iv pretty much only played final fantasy 11 online but quit do to subscription fee's so i started looking into ftp mmo's , so i tryed out lord of the rings online and liked it but i hated that so much of the games content was locked to ftp , so i thought the next best game to try might be this , so question is does the same problem apply to this one as per the locked content , its just i really love good PARTY oriented mmo's and was wandering if you guys might help me out here . thanks

toaftoaf
12-27-2013, 11:03 PM
tons of free to play stuff here, there is a few lvs it gets hard with the free to play packs, but youll unlock free turbine points. so its not too bad. knowing what stuff is free to play and what stuff isnt is semi-a-pain-in-the-butt but youll get used to it after awhile. i would say save the free TP you get for the VON chain. then save for vale, or sands

jkyle87
12-27-2013, 11:18 PM
kool, honestly cant wait for the 6hour 23min and 30sec download to be done. but i did have a couple u know starter questions if it ant no trouble like:
hows the community
does the game of a high player population
what server do you recommend
and of course any newb adventuring tips

....cant wait to play this game seen some crazy ddo youtube videos that just made this game look amazing

cjgoddard
12-28-2013, 02:44 AM
kool, honestly cant wait for the 6hour 23min and 30sec download to be done. but i did have a couple u know starter questions if it ant no trouble like:
hows the community
does the game of a high player population
what server do you recommend
and of course any newb adventuring tips

....cant wait to play this game seen some crazy ddo youtube videos that just made this game look amazing

this should help with the questions you have.

http://ddowiki.com/

SlowDM
12-28-2013, 05:18 AM
You'll find the community friendly and helpfull for the most part. Post questions in the forum and you will get good advice. But you may find when playing that some groups play fast and don't have time for new players. Saying you are new may or indeed may not help :-). Getting invited into a friendly guild will help a lot .
I don't know much about other mmo's but compared to wow, nwo, lotro. DDO is (a lot) smaller.

What server depends on your time zone and other things
SO make a character on Every server and earn 100 favour. That way you get the one time intro bonus 125 TP (125 x 8 ) free to spend on adventure packs when you run out of free content. Also you'll be able to see how busy each server is when you're online or meet people that you enjoy playing the game with. DDO has complex character creation/builds so again this will help you with your 1st goes at making a character, as your 1st one or few will be rubbish :-).

http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play

Enjoy DDO, this isn't an easy game and can be a bit confusing to start as it's huge with 'quest giver's' all over the place. But i love it.
When you can buy some cure wounds, remove curse, remove poison and cure disease potions. When you get off the starter island Korthos, you'll be in the habour, look for the Marketplace entrance, in its centre is were you can buy all the above and more.
ddowiki.com is FANTASTIC and will help you very much. Warning the quest section has maps and many spoilers so be careful if you prefer to do it yourself first.

Uska
12-28-2013, 06:59 AM
There is no MMO out there to equal ddo and none in the pipeline I had hopes for elderscrolls but not any more. There is quite a bit of free stuff here and you can use some earned TP to buy a bit more but I would advise spending a small amount to become premium at least.

Ungood
12-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Ok, I'll give it to you straight.

You get "some" content for free, this is enough content to make it to 20th, if you like doing the same quests over and over again, there is a lot of content for sale as well.

They call the paid content "adventure packs" as well as "expansions"

As for how "free" it is, lets be honest, they, like every other MMO on the planet need to make money, this is not a charity for broke gamers, it is a business looking to make some money off their product. You are mostly looking at a nickle-dime type of means to get you spend money on the game, 3 dollars here, 5 dollars there, kind of thing.

The dungeons and quests in DDO are bar none some of the best dungeons in any MMO I have ever seen or played, so there is that.

The community is often helpful and for the most part, very friendly, every community has its jerks, but in the end, most vets are willing to help anyone that wants to listen, do not ask advice and then fight with the advice you have been given, this gave has a very old community, some players have been here quite a few years, so walking in the door cocky is not the right way to get well met or received.

It's all pretty much the norm really, so, welcome to the game! have a great time.

EllisDee37
12-28-2013, 07:59 AM
There are 93 free quests (including one raid) and 218 paid quests/raids.

Arianrhod
12-28-2013, 07:59 AM
I love DDO, and LOTRO too, but I have to be honest - they're not free. If anything, I'd say DDO locks players out of content even more thoroughly than LOTRO: in LOTRO you can at least explore the zones and look at the scenery even if you can't do the quests; in DDO if you don't have the pack you can't even enter the zone (though there are "guest passes", if you can get someone to spend points to buy you one). In both games you can grind the points to get the packs you want, but while there's a fair amount of free content, there's more that's not free.

Uska
12-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I love DDO, and LOTRO too, but I have to be honest - they're not free. If anything, I'd say DDO locks players out of content even more thoroughly than LOTRO: in LOTRO you can at least explore the zones and look at the scenery even if you can't do the quests; in DDO if you don't have the pack you can't even enter the zone (though there are "guest passes", if you can get someone to spend points to buy you one). In both games you can grind the points to get the packs you want, but while there's a fair amount of free content, there's more that's not free.

As it should be otherwise they cant make money and we wont have a game for long

lyrecono
12-28-2013, 02:13 PM
welcome,

f2p
This game provides a "free" taste, the better quest packs cost points.
the point trick gives some free points to check some stuff out, make sure you spend them wisely, not just the first pack you see.
you can reach lv 10 without any problems on your f2p content.

population.
The population on DDO is pretty mature, making clear communication even more important.
Solo a few days to get a hang of character controls, the next 6 months i would pug (pick up group), using the lfm panel (press o).
You can do this on all the servers for free turbine points
Let them know that you're new!
Some people are playing for 8 years and will assume that you have too! Communication is the key to success!
With so much build customization, it's easy to go wrong, talk to people, try stuff out.
once you have met nice people you could accept a guild invite.

Preparation:
Like any other rpg out there, preparation saves you from a lot of trouble.
Potions, gear etc is one part of this, reading about the quest on DDO Wiki helps too.

Treefq
12-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Everyone has been pretty good to me on the forum. very mature and informative. I took advantage of the holiday sales and got some good pricing on stuff. I used the following as my guide line:

http://ddosource.com/guide/free-vs-premium-vs-vip/

Here are some beginner builds to try out that helps maximize your ftp enjoyment:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/277496-Tempest-Trapmonkey-for-new-players-%2828-pt-human-amp-dwarf%29

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422622 <- look at the sig on this guy, he has other good builds.

Archery for the noob is fun but underpowered, apparently it can become very strong but it takes awhile and many lives from what I gather. Magic is strong but you have to learn to manage your Spell points.
Melee is a good start. nothing wrong with ripping up early levels with a two handed fighting(THF), power attack, cleave and great cleave. It also helps you begin to learn the overall mechanics.

SLA = spell like ability <- took me 3 weeks to figure that one out.

If you have TP to spend, get the shared bank vault. its expensive but worth it.

When you spend TP it unlocks for all servers. When you spend favor (faction points) it is good for the server you are on only. monitor your favor, once you get the current max you have to talk to that house's guy to cash it in and continue to next level. i.e. once you get 75 favor at coin lords you have to talk to the guy in front of the bank. He gives you a new inventory bag and you can then begin to build more favor.

Have fun