PDA

View Full Version : I need advice for a new paladin

royallion
12-27-2013, 08:42 PM
I am still new to DDO and I wanted advice on how I should build a Paladin. I know I want to be a half-elf and I want to be a tank of sorts with a sword and board. I wanted advice on which feats I should pick up, which dilettante I should select, etc. Thank You

Ralmeth
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Hey there! There's actually quite a bit that goes into a Pally S&B build. So here is some overview / tips:

Race - Half-Elf vs. Human
I've leveled up my S&B Pally both as a half-elf and human. Both are good, though human is a bit better at the moment. Currently, the only advantage of going half-elf is that you get a second intimidate button on a 60 second cool-down. It is helpful to have if a second wave of guys shows up before your primary intimidate is available again. In contrast, going human will give you 1 extra feat of your choice plus 1 extra skill point, making human more useful IMHO.

Class Split - Pure vs. Splash
Currently splashing in 2-5 levels of another class works very well on a Paladin and is stronger than going pure. To keep things simple, I would recommend to take a 2 Fighter splash, which will get you 2 more feats, access to haste boost and combat tactics (if you choose to use them), and the tower shield feat for free. There are other splash options, with adding in another 2 levels of monk being great if you want evasion and 2 more feats.

Stats
Strength is your primary stat, charisma is secondary, and constitution is 3rd. You probably want to start your strength at a 16 and then put most/all of your level ups into strength. For a 28 point build, you could go with something like the following. Please note that a Paladin's ability to cast spells is based on your modified wisdom, which includes any items, tomes, etc. that you have. So starting wisdom at 8 is perfectly fine and a good way to save build points:
Str: 16 (10 pts) - Level ups into strength
Dex: 8
Con: 14 (6 pts)
Int: 10 (2 pts)
Wis: 8
Char: 16 (10 pts)

Skills
Keep intimidate and heal maxed. Concentration and UMD are good to have if you have the points, as are balance & jump. If you want more skills, you could drop your starting charisma to 14, and put a couple of points into int and dex.

Feats
The exact feats you take will depend on whether you go human vs. half-elf, pure vs. splash, but below are the must have feats IMHO:
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Improved Critical - Slashing
Shield Mastery
Improved Shield Mastery
Overwhelming Critical
Blinding Speed
Elusive Target

Other good feats to consider are:
Bastard sword & THF chain
Quicken
Empower Healing
Stunning Blow & Improved Sunder
Improved Shield Bashing
Shield Deflection

Epic Destinies
When you first get to level 20, you'll want to go Unyielding Sentinel. When you can, start running in Grandmaster once in a while to build up XP there, with the goal of eventually moving to Legendary Dreadnaught. Eventually you'll want to run in either Unyielding Sentinel (when you want to tank) or Legendary Dreadnaught (when you want more DPS).

Hope that helps as a start:)

Krelar
01-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Hey there! There's actually quite a bit that goes into a Pally S&B build. So here is some overview / tips:

Race - Half-Elf vs. Human
I've leveled up my S&B Pally both as a half-elf and human. Both are good, though human is a bit better at the moment. Currently, the only advantage of going half-elf is that you get a second intimidate button on a 60 second cool-down. It is helpful to have if a second wave of guys shows up before your primary intimidate is available again. In contrast, going human will give you 1 extra feat of your choice plus 1 extra skill point, making human more useful IMHO.

Purple Dragon Knight is very similar to human. You lose access to dragonmarks but gain the option of taking shield deflection via enhancements instead of as a feat. I also really like the amunater faith ability. (Basically a free fire shield that can be kept up constantly) Ignore charisma to damage it's a trap.