PDA

View Full Version : New Player Looking For DPS Pally Advice

silasjakob
12-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm new to DDO, but familiar with PnP and MMORPGs in general. Here's what I'm looking for, and I'm hopeful to get some of the expert advice I'm seeing on these boards.
I'll be playing primarily with a group of friends, and I don't have much interest in end game/ raiding/ powergaming etc. I'm looking for a character that is primarily melee DPS (my standard of play for ages) with the ability to heal a bit when I'm in my small friend group (a ranger and/or a wizard). Also, I'd like that character to have solid solo ability.
Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

HungarianRhapsody
12-22-2013, 09:13 AM
My own personal favorite DPS Paladin - 2 levels of Paladin, 2 levels of Monk, 16 levels of Sorcerer.

Yes, I know that's just a snarky response that sounds like trolling, but it's really not intended that way. Paladin offers a lot of benefits. DPS isn't one of those benefits. Instead of looking for a "DPS Pally", I'd suggest looking at the core mechanic of what you want and then trying to build for that. You want a melee character that has a ton of survivability. To me, that says Paladin + Monk (two levels of each, but feel free to increase either) and then a third class of *whatever* to get the DPS.

Paladin 2/Monk 12/Ranger 8
Paladin 4/Monk 2/Fighter 14
Paladin 2/Monk 2/Sorcerer or Wizard 16
Paladin 4/Monk 12/Fighter 4

Lots of combinations can work out nicely. Paladin's bonus to Saving Throws and Monk's Evasion and high saving throws and bonuses to a variety of combat options combine very nicely. And each of those combinations has a significantly different feel to it.

silasjakob
12-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Great point. I'll move this over to new player advice with a broader scope of advice.

Choopak
12-22-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm new to DDO, but familiar with PnP and MMORPGs in general. Here's what I'm looking for, and I'm hopeful to get some of the expert advice I'm seeing on these boards.
I'll be playing primarily with a group of friends, and I don't have much interest in end game/ raiding/ powergaming etc. I'm looking for a character that is primarily melee DPS (my standard of play for ages) with the ability to heal a bit when I'm in my small friend group (a ranger and/or a wizard). Also, I'd like that character to have solid solo ability.
Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

Well one very good is the evasion pally on the pally's forum (i think it's called: evasion pally for new players, by EllisDee37)

Arcanegrin
12-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Well one very good is the evasion pally on the pally's forum (i think it's called: evasion pally for new players, by EllisDee37)

Evasion paladin can be quite nice, and has trapping which is sometimes extremely useful for small groups and soloing. The damage isn't going to be fantastic though.

Pure monk has a lot of interesting abilities, some self healing, and decent damage, perhaps that would be interesting for you also.

You might want to read through DDOWiki.com to figure out which characters you like best.

goodspeed
12-28-2013, 12:40 PM
well heres the thing. Outside of end game, that pally is gonna be sooooo bad. Not bad but... look at it this way. Your wizard friend might be able to melee harder lol.

It'll take a hit but even the small splash builds just go on and on and on as you climb to 20. Thank god for those burst saga xps and stuff.

Anyway a self sufficient melee. Ideally the best melee I could think of in heroic would be a monk with the helf race and the cleric dili whipping cure serious and critical wands until you could use heal scrolls. Don't care what anyone says cleric dili is the best thing their is for grinding out tr's and making heroic cake.

But if you don't have the helf class then I would suggest a bard/fighter/rog build. The bard is for first lifers that don't have all their GS clicky gear. It's going to keep you fully hasted, fully displaced, and whipping cure critical wands, and having a boost to dmg through heroic. For heroic I would say a 12 bard 6 fighter 2 rog.

For mine I was originally using a varient of the classic rocker using a half orc. I had 12 bard and 8 fighter. But with the enhancment changes I made him a 10 bard 8 fighter 2 rog. So that I could get keen edge. At end game he really wasn't to bad. I could handle pretty much any EH quest. Stunning blow was 100% working. But he wasn't strong enough for EE so I went back to the drawing board.

Anyway as far as heroic goes, the bard wielding a 2 hander and focusing on STR was probably one of the easiest melee's I ever leveled clear to 20. It's probably alot easier now to with the enhancements.