PDA

View Full Version : INT vs. DEX

jackmcbarn
12-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Is it possible to make a viable DEX-based artificer, or do all efforts need to be focused on INT (except possibly enough DEX to get feat prereqs)?

FestusHood
12-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Intelligence affects your spell and runearm dc's, and also adds directly to crossbow damage. So really, no, i don't see how you could make a viable archetypal artificer that was dex based.

Will the ninja spy ability allow you to add dex to damage on crossbows? If so, you might be able to make a decent dex based monkchanic.

Annolas
12-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Your typical Crossbow Arti benefits most from Int with as much Dex as necessary for feats. If you didn't gimp Int and just went all Dex, it would still work but wouldn't be as optimal. If you wanted to go full Dex and find a build to capitalize on it, maybe one of:

Elven bow-based Arti (or melee arti with elf weapons)
Splash 3 monk and go star-chucker or dual wield
Splash 3 thief and go q-staff build
Splash 3 Ranger and go dual wield
Halfling thrower
splash 3 thief and go dagger/kukri
Splash 2 ranger and take Weapon Finesse and the Imp Weapon Finesse in DWS

Those are the builds that benefit the most from a pure dex build. Only a few of those can still use a runearm though (thief dagger, halfling thrower, ranger 2 with IWF, elf melee).

If you go pure dex, it kinds screams for a splash for evasion. The Thief-3 routes give evasion and Dex to hit and damage with Q-staffs, daggers/kukris, or any light weapon if you take weapon finesse while letting you stay as pure arti as possible.

unbongwah
12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Will the ninja spy ability allow you to add dex to damage on crossbows? If so, you might be able to make a decent dex based monkchanic.
I don't believe there's any way to be centered w/crossbows; One w/Blade only applies to melee weapons, unfortunately.

Scrag
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I don't believe there's any way to be centered w/crossbows; One w/Blade only applies to melee weapons, unfortunately.

Plus no matter what, runearms uncenter you. And given that they are a major component of spellpower (and possibly damage), that is a big hit. My arti hits for over 1k with tier5 charge on lucid dreams. :D

On a side note, why don't I see more people using them? Is it because by the time you have a decent charge, everything is dead anyway?

Red_Knight
01-07-2014, 11:11 AM
My arty is a dex/int build. I have about 21 dex right now at level 11, way more then I actually need for AC since I'm wearing plate at the moment. But it does help me hit with my crossbow. My Int is currently 28 though, and I usually cast Insightful Damage so I can add that +9 to my damage rolls. Seems to work pretty well so far.

sgz
01-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Plus no matter what, runearms uncenter you. And given that they are a major component of spellpower (and possibly damage), that is a big hit. My arti hits for over 1k with tier5 charge on lucid dreams. :D

On a side note, why don't I see more people using them? Is it because by the time you have a decent charge, everything is dead anyway?

Think it has more to do with how clunky aiming the bolts can get...most of the time if you're close you may get 3 out of 5 to hit ( sometimes none ;( )
Also, the damage suffers if you multiclass; the more Artificer levels the better off it is.

Red_Knight
01-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Think it has more to do with how clunky aiming the bolts can get...most of the time if you're close you may get 3 out of 5 to hit ( sometimes none ;( )
Also, the damage suffers if you multiclass; the more Artificer levels the better off it is.

I use my rune arm regularly. It's handy for breakables my iron defender ignores like coffins. It's my main effective non-spell weapon vs most undead (using a Light one). And it passively gives me more spell power. That's kinda handy at times. Especially when casting repair spells. Oh, and I kinda like getting temp hit points when struck. Doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be handy. Was really handy when a recent quest ended with a vamp that usually gives me trouble. Hit him with all 3 light bolts for massive damage.

Joseph
01-13-2014, 05:47 AM
tl;dr

IMO no. Int is better than Dex in every way possible if you mix in a couple levels of Rogue. Even if you don't, INT is still the better option. Details below.

I am in the process of testing:

Artificer: Insightful Strikes - lets me use my INT modifier to hit
Rogue 6 (Targeting Sights) - lets me add my INT modifier to damage
(edited Targeting Sights from Rogue 3 to Rogue 6 - Thanks Hjarki for catching that)

Plus you get evasion, and first level rogue also gives you a ton of starting skill points. Mixing the rogue levels as you go up will also allow you to max skills you might not otherwise worry about.

For me the only catch is that I don't know how important the + to damage will be at higher levels - and therefore whether it would be worth taking or not. Obviously if I planned it out at early levels I would do massive damage and never miss (insightful strikes) - so many levels would be a cakewalk. Plus I have some really nice heavy repeaters banked from the good old days (low level Holy+PG with festival Icy sort of twink stuff).

Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

---------------- Updated

This is my post (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/434423-Battle-Engineer-Mechanic-%28Returning-Player%29?p=5223789#post5223789) with more details. I am just considering now whether you could have the rogue Targeting Sights and add INT as + Damage, AND add in Insightful Damage to also have +INT for Damage. If you had 30 INT and 21 DEX (both attainable through enhancements and character progression) - it would mean adding in +20 damage per shot.

Factor in all of the + Crossbow Training you could take from both paths as well, and you'd have even more damage potential (a good weapon would give you upwards of +40 damage per shot on most things). The difference you would lose in Dex is relatively meaningless so long as you meet the necessary natural 19 Dex for IPS.

At higher levels you could / would switch it up for insightful strikes (so an instant +10 to hit), but otherwise it seems to me you would really be hitting hard and often.

Hjarki
01-13-2014, 07:20 AM
tl;dr

IMO no. Int is better than Dex in every way possible if you mix in a couple levels of Rogue. Even if you don't, INT is still the better option. Details below.

I am in the process of testing:

Artificer: Insightful Strikes - lets me use my INT modifier to hit
Rogue 3 (Targeting Sights) - lets me add my INT modifier to damage

Targeting Sights is level 6, not level 3.

As for the value of Int-to-damage, it replaces nothing-to-damage. Since you're likely to ultimately have 40+ in your primary stat at a minimum, not having a stat-to-damage is leaving +15 or more damage/shot on the table. This makes it a far more clear choice than typical Str vs. Dex debates.