PDA

View Full Version : Two-Handed

Rougemastert
12-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Started a Fighter life a few weeks ago, and have been encountering much trouble. I originally was specced out to be a Two-Handed greatsword kensai. I had nice DPS, ok armour, and a nifty haste and damage boost (from Human). However, I seem to have no real defensive capabilities, meaning I take more damage, and thus become more of a hinderance. I respecced some feats, and turned myself into more of a tank, but now my damage is not so good. I'm at level 8 right now, so it might be too early to tell, but any advice would be appreciated. I'll post my stats and base gear when I can, but any general advice would be helpful. Thanks.

kned225
12-18-2013, 10:42 AM
At low levels, make sure you wear an invulnerability item or at least some good "block" items. (axe, spear, hammer) They work really well for a melee at low level

Xianio
12-18-2013, 10:48 AM
If you've spec'd out for S&B you'll want to do a few things;

1) Use a Dwarven axe or Bastard Sword. Both can proc glancing blows which significantly increases the potential dps a S&B toon can do.

2) Consider grabbing the shield bashing feat/shield striking enhancement. This will add 1-2 bashes every full combat sequence. Shields add full strength + all the same extras that affect two weapons (deadly, power attack etc.) That will add a bunch more damage as well.

If you want to get some more defense for your two-handed;

1) Look to get a blurry item. That will increase your defense by more than it may original seem like it would.

2) Put focus on getting at least 10 elemental resistance for everything (although if you have to lose one, lose sonic) On my fighter I'm using the Troll's cloak that gives 10 elemental resistance to 3 different elements and it really helps to not be chipped away at by things like melf's or burning blood.

Mahalko128
12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Started a Fighter life a few weeks ago, and have been encountering much trouble. I originally was specced out to be a Two-Handed greatsword kensai. I had nice DPS, ok armour, and a nifty haste and damage boost (from Human). However, I seem to have no real defensive capabilities, meaning I take more damage, and thus become more of a hinderance. I respecced some feats, and turned myself into more of a tank, but now my damage is not so good. I'm at level 8 right now, so it might be too early to tell, but any advice would be appreciated. I'll post my stats and base gear when I can, but any general advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Hey bud where you been! Haven't talked to you in what seems like weeks :P. Throw me a tell or a bit of mail in-game if you've got a fighter going on, would be awesome to discuss the class with you!

Rougemastert
12-18-2013, 03:44 PM
A) hey man, it has been a while
B) here are my stats and gear (unbuffed)] (level 9) 42 AC, 50 PRR, 3% dodge, 253 hp DR 3/-
STR 25
DEX 16
CON 30
INTEL 14
WIS 12
CHA 13

Feats:
Cleave
power attack
improv crit: slash
shield mastery
power critical
weapon focus: slash
weapon specialization:slash
dodge
improved shield mastery
Past lives
monkx2
roguex1
Artix1

Enhancements
Human Versitality: defense
Tier 1 heal amp
weapon focus: heavy blades (tiers 1, 2, 3)
once cut
haste boost (3/3)
strike with no thought
crit accuracy (1/3)
reed in the wind (1/3)
toughness
overbalance
stalwart defense
durable defense (3/3)
stalwart defensive mastery (3/3)
hardy defense (3/3)

Gear
Gleaming adamantine plate (with +15hp slot)
entire abishai set (minus helm.. replaced with spiked turban)
ddly ring of res +2
ddly ring (IV)
black wolfskin belt
angers gift
bloodstone
goggles of perception

Threnalian warblade (mod fort. slot)
+5 heavy mithril shield

Sorry if this is lengthy, but I hope this helps anyone offering advice

Mahalko128
12-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Could you take all of your equipment off, and tell us your stats once more? And what is your goal for this character by the time you finish it?

Rougemastert
12-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Sure thing
STR-22
DEX-16
CON-20
INTEL-14
WIS-10
CHA-10
(switched out some enhancements (i.e. heavy blades for axes, and the con bonus from stlawart defense for +3 to saves)
the plan is to use greataxes (or a greatsword when I find a good one) until level 23, in which I will switch to Sireth and take QS mastery. It would allow me to deal good damage, while taking advatage of heavy armour and PRR, giving me some survivability. The final product should be some sort of intimiaggro-cleave-tank-thing. If possible

Mahalko128
12-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Are you sticking with full fighter, or are you willing to spread out a little bit?

bsquishwizzy
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM

First, I can’t believe this one has gone on unresolved to this point. The fixes this are really rather simple.

I had the same basic problem with my Pally, though I switched him to S&B. Great defensive benefits, way crappy DPS. That’s the tradeoff.

Going THF means giving up defense to a point. All of the good defensive stuff for melees is moving to shields. That being said, you can fix you defensive issues with the following:

1) Max DPS – do whatever you can to completely hammer mobs before they can even lay a hand on you. This means max STR, max weapons enhancements and effects, using proc weapons like Disruption, Vorpal and the like.

2) Greensteel MIN II weapon – Gives you a Stoneskin clicky for DR. DR does not suck.

3) Consider taking Dodge as a feat, and getting gear to maximize your dodge. Lots of those floating around now. You’ll need a 13 DEX to qualify.

4) With a higher DEX, consider the Mobility and Lightning Reflexes feats to increase you AC due to DEX, as well as your Reflex saves.

5) Armor with a Blue of Green Augment slot can be slotted with a Physical Resistance augment. The max you’ll get by 20 is +12, I believe. The only way to get more is to go S&B and go Stalwart Defender.

6) Greensteel smoke goggles have a Blur clickie built into them. Very handy.

7) The Marbar Cloak gives you the Ghostly attribute and also DR (at upper levels). The ghostly and blur / displacement are each a separate roll, so it essentially doubles your chances not to get hit.

8) The radiance attribute on a Greensteel weapon (or something like the Stone Prison guard on armor) blinds an opponent, dropping their chances to hit you. Any CC effect on armor or weapons is generally useful (especially on a cleave) to help reduce incoming damage.

9) Regeneration items. I believe these can be crafted.

10) Natural Armor items – stack with AC.

11) Protection Item – I believe this stacks with AC.

12) Heavy fortification (100%+) and exceptional fortification (you can get this sometimes from random loot and a couple of trinkets out there).

13) To increase AC, take the Stalwart Defensive Mastery and Armor Expertise enhacements.

14) Invest in combat tactics like Stunning Blow and Trip. If they are stunned or prone, they are not doing damage to you.

If you go S&B, you defensive abilities are great, but your DPS is ****. And there is very little you can do to make it any better. Your options are:
1) Khopesh / Scimitar for the crits.

2) Proc effects like Vorpal and Disruption for instakills.

3) Doublestrike items, feats, and anhacements (Kensai has a couple I believe).

4) Sunder and Improved Sunder to reduce AC for short periods of time.

5) A haste clicky or armor / shield with Haste Guard (really not feasible).

6) Haste potions.

7) A True Seeing item to work on displaced mobs.

8) Weapons with a double-stat damager. I had a scimitar that had nailed CON two ways: -1 CON on every strike, and 1 – 4 CON on a critical. Once a mob’s CON was ultra low, and they were disabled every hit had elevated damage.

9) A Seeker item (you already have this with the bloodstone).

10) Retributive items (like armor).

Really, your only overall DPS boost is weapons with high crits and a high double-strike.

It seems to me that there are more avenues to reduce incoming damage on a THF toon than there is for delivering it on a S&B setup.

mkmcgw17
01-10-2014, 05:11 PM
A) hey man, it has been a while
B) here are my stats and gear (unbuffed)] (level 9) 42 AC, 50 PRR, 3% dodge, 253 hp DR 3/-
STR 25
DEX 16
CON 30
INTEL 14
WIS 12
CHA 13

Feats:
Cleave
power attack
improv crit: slash
shield mastery
power critical
weapon focus: slash
weapon specialization:slash
dodge
improved shield mastery
Past lives
monkx2
roguex1
Artix1

Enhancements
Human Versitality: defense
Tier 1 heal amp
weapon focus: heavy blades (tiers 1, 2, 3)
once cut
haste boost (3/3)
strike with no thought
crit accuracy (1/3)
reed in the wind (1/3)
toughness
overbalance
stalwart defense
durable defense (3/3)
stalwart defensive mastery (3/3)
hardy defense (3/3)

Gear
Gleaming adamantine plate (with +15hp slot)
entire abishai set (minus helm.. replaced with spiked turban)
ddly ring of res +2
ddly ring (IV)
black wolfskin belt
angers gift
bloodstone
goggles of perception

Threnalian warblade (mod fort. slot)
+5 heavy mithril shield

Sorry if this is lengthy, but I hope this helps anyone offering advice

Nothing wrong with your toon seems fine to me dps fighters take damage id get a tank buddy. :)