PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Maintenance: Monday, December 16th from 6:00 to 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT)

Cordovan
12-13-2013, 10:22 AM
UPDATE: The worlds have reopened, and we'll see you in-game!

The DDO Game Servers and http://myaccount.turbine.com will be offline for maintenance on Monday, December 16th from 6:00 to 10:00 AM Eastern (-5 GMT). The forums and web site will remain up, but players may not be able to log in. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

gypsythief
12-13-2013, 11:52 AM
The DDO Game Servers and http://myaccount.turbine.com will be offline for maintenance on Monday, December 16th from 6:00 to 10:00 AM Eastern (-5 GMT). The forums and web site will remain up, but players may not be able to log in. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

But... but... but.. it's a Bank Holiday in the UK! NOOOOooooo!!!!! I was gonna be playing all day.

Oh, wait, that's next Monday.

Oh, no, it's the Tuesday after.

Oh, hang on, it's actually on the Wednesday. Some festival or another...

Never mind, carry on!

LrdSlvrhnd
12-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Hah, perfect timing, worlds went down 20 seconds after I looted the last chest in Crucible! Glad your clock is just far enough off mine for that *g*

Stretchicus
12-16-2013, 08:59 AM
pretty sure it's almost time for servers to come back up.
Anyone for a sweepstake on how long the extended downtime will be for?

Cordovan
12-16-2013, 08:59 AM
The maintenance has been extended until 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT).

ishr
12-16-2013, 09:02 AM
the maintenance has been extended until 12:00 pm eastern (-5 gmt).

i am so surprised!

Leatherneck
12-16-2013, 09:04 AM

Ouch, thanks for the quick update though.

Erofen
12-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Noooooooooo! Guess no logging in today or at least for any significant amount of time... :/

prophet1
12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
i really wanna same lame , but i wasted time reading and i am 20 k from 28 on my monk , and realized that if i take the lvl and am only not maxed in my second epic destiny , i woulda lost out on some cool feat choices , but i done reading now please get the server back up lol

PNP
12-16-2013, 09:21 AM
It's deja vu all over again - everytime it happens, I download another MMO, one day I will find one that I like and it will be your fault Turbine.

Shorlong
12-16-2013, 09:22 AM
You mean, maintenance on a highly sophisticated server system with lots of systems running and a companies hard work and integrity may take a little longer than expected? How dare they! They must be so incompetent.

Jesus, gaming nowadays is filled with the biggest bunch of fricken cry babies I have ever seen. We want it now, want it certain ways, everyone else is stupid, servers are done wah wah wah.

Bimbelbo
12-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the update, I hope it's "Scotty-time" and will be up a bit earlier...

I still don't like how you sh*t on your European/Asian/Australian players though. The sweet spot for downtime would be a tad earlier. Let's assume your calculations are right - this would indicate:

West coast USA is more profitable than Eurasia and Oceania combined (this again indicates very, very poor worldwide marketing, in times of internet there is little excuse for this, yet we know for fact marketing for this game is non-existent). Letting your guys work sunday night/monday morning is more expensive than letting the game be down for Eurasia/Australia prime time for many hours -> indicates that downtime is pretty "cheap" -> low sales overall.

So this game is far from a healthy world-wide "massive" MO-RPG.

Or your calculations are wrong, you are too loazy to work in the night, etc.

Anyway, thanks for posting fresh ETA though.

KKDragonLord
12-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Are they?

Just to be sure... is it really gonna take ALL the Way to 12:PM EST?

Maybe it will finish just a little bit after the previous deadline!

Sooooo.... Are the Servers Back On?!

When are they really coming back on?!

Are they back now? How about now?

...Now!?

What about now?! Are they Back yet?!

Lord_Jam
12-16-2013, 09:32 AM
There doing the best that they can, with the tools at hand so be joyful and give them a break they are working in dif time zones all over the world. So when its up it'll be up.

Have a Mary Holiday to ALL!!!!!

Nyata
12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
I still don't like how you sh*t on your European/Asian/Australian players though.

ehm... as for europe, I am right in the middle of it, and downtime here started at noon... i hardly consider that prime time.
also, it means it started at midnight in NZ... also probably not totally prime time on a monday night.
granted, aussies and asia really got hit this time.

I guess everyone defines prime time a bit different. and some insist that their play time has to be prime time for everyone else too and be made a priority. So I should probably complain now, because I actually surprisingly got the afternoon off today from work, and THAT has to be the day of all days there's downtime, but personally I don't think I am entitled to complaining about maintenaince.

g4b3
12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
You mean, maintenance on a highly sophisticated server system with lots of systems running and a companies hard work and integrity may take a little longer than expected? How dare they! They must be so incompetent.

Jesus, gaming nowadays is filled with the biggest bunch of fricken cry babies I have ever seen. We want it now, want it certain ways, everyone else is stupid, servers are done wah wah wah.

Reported coz you took the lord's name in vain.

Kull1966
12-16-2013, 09:36 AM

LOL, I know the feeling.

David2486
12-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the update, I hope it's "Scotty-time" and will be up a bit earlier...

I still don't like how you sh*t on your European/Asian/Australian players though. The sweet spot for downtime would be a tad earlier. Let's assume your calculations are right - this would indicate:

West coast USA is more profitable than Eurasia and Oceania combined (this again indicates very, very poor worldwide marketing, in times of internet there is little excuse for this, yet we know for fact marketing for this game is non-existent). Letting your guys work sunday night/monday morning is more expensive than letting the game be down for Eurasia/Australia prime time for many hours -> indicates that downtime is pretty "cheap" -> low sales overall.

So this game is far from a healthy world-wide "massive" MO-RPG.

Or your calculations are wrong, you are too loazy to work in the night, etc.

Anyway, thanks for posting fresh ETA though.

World of Warcraft is down 3 am-11 am EST every Tuesday, and are kicked if logged in when it hits. half the time you can not even log into the forums. most games pick a early morning EST, and Blizzard games have a massive client base over the whole world.

ishr
12-16-2013, 09:40 AM

nobody's faulting them for this, it's the fact that it happens nearly every time that is a little annoying. this means they're so clueless they can't even tell how long it will take, much less learn from their mistakes. different issue. QED

zappazpot
12-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Well i'm going to bed now. Stayed up to try to get at least an hour in. Guess not.

Weird_Beard
12-16-2013, 09:45 AM
You guys should post this sort of last minute change on Facebook too. After we weren't able to log in, my wife checked there first, didn't see anything so I came here looking. Just a helpful suggestion. Hope you get it worked out soon.

snitz
12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Hah, perfect timing, worlds went down 20 seconds after I looted the last chest in Crucible! Glad your clock is just far enough off mine for that *g*

well the hell with the crucible, maybe my m8's and i r idiots btu we always do the rest on HE and EE. we always bypass that one as far as the rewards and completions r concerned. i wud love to be in ur party to learn how to do that quest. Snitz, fafnir, thimbledorff pwent, and mrssnitz, please if u ever log into cannith look me up. i can have toons in a heart beat who will listen to instructions

Avenir
12-16-2013, 09:49 AM
There have been plenty of times where they came back up early, few seem to remember that.

xPhoxhoundx
12-16-2013, 09:51 AM
It's deja vu all over again - everytime it happens, I download another MMO, one day I will find one that I like and it will be your fault Turbine.

Promise? I hear WoW takes all kinds of people. You're welcome.

Xatumbus
12-16-2013, 09:54 AM

I think its mainly because we pay for the game monthly and expect to always be given it, now I cant play until tomorrow so should I be refunded the 1/30th of the $15 I paid? Meh, I dont really care.

David2486
12-16-2013, 09:54 AM
nobody's faulting them for this, it's the fact that it happens nearly every time that is a little annoying. this means they're so clueless they can't even tell how long it will take, much less learn from their mistakes. different issue. QED

No matter what game server maintenance gets extended all the time. Some games let you know before they are hours late. Some games don't post they get it extended till after the extension is over. It is "estimated" to end at a certain time. Think of it like a car at a mechanic. Would you like the car when he estimates it to be done, or when its fully done because something caused it to take a little longer?

David2486
12-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Promise? I hear WoW takes all kinds of people. You're welcome.

He wouldn't last there weekly 6-10 hour Tuesday morning Maintenance.

Shorlong
12-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Reported coz you took the lord's name in vain.

LOL. Thanks for the chuckle...

It doesn't happen nearly every time. Does it happen a lot? Yes, but not nearly every time. In fact, I remember quite a few maintenance periods where servers were up early, and even a few updates where it was on time or early. It really is not that big of a deal. And it sure does seem like most people are faulting them for it. Look at facebook or on the forums, it's filled with so much nerd rage that Francis blushed.

ishr
12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
It really is not that big of a deal. And it sure does seem like most people are faulting them for it. Look at facebook or on the forums, it's filled with so much nerd rage that Francis blushed.

you are so cool that you don't care. it doesn't change the fact that turbine was wrong. gj proving nothing.

supott
12-16-2013, 10:01 AM
just one more hour!!!! pls hurry!!! thank you

Stretchicus
12-16-2013, 10:03 AM
The only thing I find more amusing than the posts complaining about downtime extensions are the posts complaining about the posts complaining about downtime extensions.
Just how deep does this rabbithole go anyway?

LordGalaban
12-16-2013, 10:03 AM
There doing the best that they can, with the tools at hand so be joyful and give them a break they are working in dif time zones all over the world. So when its up it'll be up.

Have a Mary Holiday to ALL!!!!!

*** is a mary holiday?

Brendael
12-16-2013, 10:04 AM

It's a public holiday here in South Africa and the downtime is between 12h00 and 19h00. I'm not complaining though. I'd rather they sorted out issues than let the servers rot.

Shorlong
you are so cool that you don't care. it doesn't change the fact that turbine was wrong. gj proving nothing.

Turbine was not wrong. They gave an estimation of time for the work to be done. When they got close to that, they realized it wasn't quite done yet, so they extended it. It happens. It's part of the territory. Please tell me one game that doesn't have maintenance times get extended and forums full of raging nerds ticked off about it.

Nothing I said was put out there to prove anything, aside from maybe the fact that a bunch of you guys rage for the stupidest reasons, and it's not just here, but gaming in general.

Hirrum
[QUOTE=PNP;5200062]It's deja vu all over again - everytime it happens, I download another MMO, one day I will find one that I like and it will be your fault Turbine.[/QUOT

ikr

Cordovan
12-16-2013, 10:08 AM
The worlds have reopened, and we'll see you in-game!

Drwaz99
12-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Auth servers are still down.

Taslantha23
12-16-2013, 10:10 AM
UPDATE: The maintenance has been extended until 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT).

6 hours less XP for you. :p

"Get even more XP as a VIP!
Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:07:30 +0000
Now through December 16th, get +25% Heroic and Epic XP!"

Rendron
12-16-2013, 10:12 AM

maybe your servers are back online but login is still down or not reacable.

i have the feeling that the maintance of this game get every month longer and longer. will we get one day a 12h maintaince?

supott
12-16-2013, 10:13 AM
failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col:1]

EvillBitey
12-16-2013, 10:14 AM

good troll!

BigPapi
12-16-2013, 10:14 AM
failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col:1]

Yep...

ishr
12-16-2013, 10:15 AM

wrong again.

Miahoo
12-16-2013, 10:16 AM

You got me.

Nice one.

prophet1
12-16-2013, 10:17 AM
oh one question why did u nerf the purple dragon favor think it was last maint and i thought it was just me and found out other ppl have same issue , u kicked me from a bugged oversword back to a swordcaptian , first i thought maybe i was wrong but rember it going to the next rank 375 to 450 or so , and while you are taking this extra time could you please fix it for us , it not nice to steal our favor and not tell us

Azurchaos

well you cant see me as wont let me log on any1 else got on yet?

Weird_Beard
Quite the bug you guys have. Seems FB is in an uproar too. Funny how people are raging so. Monday morning (in NA) maintenance is part of what we are paying for. The occasional down time is also expected since programming an MMO is complex work. Quitcherbichin people and hopefully the devs can figure it out sooner than later.

Rendron
lets see if we get another announcement +3h for authentication server maintance ^^

RotR
12-16-2013, 10:18 AM
good troll!

Been there....said that. I fully understand...no problem. LOL

toaftoaf
12-16-2013, 10:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSnp6iC_QUc

EvillBitey
12-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Been there....said that. I fully understand...no problem. LOL

i like me a good troll in the morning

Azurchaos
12-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Always good to have a laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQUtElQXX0

EvillBitey
12-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Always good to have a laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQUtElQXX0

haha :)

Cordovan
12-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Looking into it.

RotR
12-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Well. I wanted to get my free die cast before ai went into surgery, But I will have to wait till tomorrow, or the day after depending on how it goes....
If I wake up, LOL nothing serious, just a Gull Bladder removal...hope to see you all in game?

ishr
Looking into it.

that's better.

granny1111
game is not up what is going on with login server be nice for you to tell us

katz
12-16-2013, 10:25 AM
loggin in now

EvillBitey
its up, later suckas

prophet1
the funny thing is , its always some diff message like sometimes can t connect to server , sometimes you can update , this time is some weird error , so when u go to logg your wondering if the maint messed up something and if your game is ok to play or if you gotta dl something , its just never the same generic server maint in progress message or something

supott
Theyre up.

Celebras
servers up

Bimbelbo
12-16-2013, 10:26 AM
working now.

Zenove
12-16-2013, 10:26 AM
I think its mainly because we pay for the game monthly and expect to always be given it, now I cant play until tomorrow so should I be refunded the 1/30th of the $15 I paid? Meh, I dont really care.

I'd be happy to. Just send me a self addressed, stamped envelope and I'll be glad to send you 50 cents. I'm not really on any "side". It is what it is. Back in 2006, I started reading a series and a few years ago, I caught up to the author so that I find myself waiting for the next book each time. For one book, he had a projected date in June which he needed to move back a couple months. He announced that he could finish a half-assed book on time or a whole-assed book a couple months later. The fan response was overwhelmingly for the whole-assed version. I'll gladly wait a couple extra hours for a whole-assed game.

toaftoaf
12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
i dont work for turbine

Rishlin
12-16-2013, 10:32 AM

I'm sure you guys are working as hard as you can to get it all working properly but now I have to get interact with the real world for another half hour...please hurry!!

Cordovan
12-16-2013, 10:36 AM
All right, log ins should now be working correctly. Thanks.

ishr
12-16-2013, 10:41 AM

third time's a charm!

HungarianRhapsody
12-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Any hints as to what this maintenance was for?

Were there changes to DDO or was it just replacing the hamsters in the server farm power generating wheels?

lokomski
12-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I am a DeVry student currently attending to education majoring in Web Game Design. While I learn much more than just writing code I think mostly of those aspects including system analysis and design and object oriented construction and destruction during yet more Turbine downtime for maintenance.
Availability refers to how consistently and reliably a system may be accessed. Following data shows what 99% reliability is compared to how much downtime a system has (Dean, T., 2013):

99% availability is related to these downtimes:

Downtime per day: 14 min. 23 sec.
Downtime per month: 7 hr. 18. min. 17 sec.
Downtime per year: 87 hr. 39 min. 29 sec.

Remembering downtime for an entire year, of course, is not considered by end users that just want to play a game. Thinking of this month's Turbine downtime.. so far.. is an easy comparison to reliability. Today's original downtime was scheduled from 0600 to 1000 EST then extended to noon: 6 hours. On December 9th scheduled downtime was another 3 hours. Not including the all to often additional server crashes that is 9 hours total.. so far in December. A little ratio and proportion algebra returns Turbine reliability:

99% is to 7 hours as X% is to 9 hours.
7X = 99*9
7X = 891
X = 891/7 = 127.286

127% reliability but more hours of downtime indicates less availability: 27% less than 99%: 72%. That percentage is even less for rounding down hours from 7 hours 18 minutes 17 seconds to just 7 hours and not including other downtime problems than scheduled maintenance. .. And the month isn't over yet.
Other problems abound. DDO is entertaining when the mechanics work. For a long time now systems, including games, have been designed using object oriented concepts of programming. Everything with which interaction may occur is an object having attributes and actions that must be constructed. When the object no longer exists for a user computer memory should be freed by properly destructing the object from the memory of an individual computer. A destructor should be customized if the code creating an object, the class, contains a pointer that points to dynamically created memory. Otherwise the program may have a memory leak (Liang, Y., 2010). A lot, perhaps near everything, happening in an online game is dynamic. Objects may be created without customizing destructors. Default destructors are automatically created by utilities in which programmers write code. The defaults, however, do not always clean up memory correctly. Relying on default destructors is the case with Turbine games an amateur programmer may see.
Users that have several characters between which they log in and out fill up RAM and virtual memory, drive space used to simulate RAM, with memory leaks. Eventually the game crashes for having no place to store new data from that final loaded character. What of playing a single character for one session? Objects are still being constructed and inefficiently destructed as a character travels from zone to zone. Remember to close the client every 3 to 4 hours and clean up RAM on an individual basis.
Closer observation of objects themselves reveals inconsistency. A character may have a Flaming sword enhanced by Venomed Blades. During attacks against an opponent the poison damage is not always applied to the same target that just received poison damage a second before. The objects are occasionally missing implementation of methods not only with the example discussed here.
The time now is almost noon EST. Play time is hopefully almost at hand. After so many years of downtime maintenance Turbine should have a grasp on accurate estimates of return to access. Almost always, however, downtimes are extended. Turbine programmers work hard to entertain a world; to always bring their clients something new each several months. Still.. when something is done right no one will notice anything was done at all. So much of DDO is noticeable.

References:

Dean, T., (2013). Network + guide to networks. Sixth edition, p. 645.

Liang, Y., (2010). Introduction to programming with C++. Second edition, p. 372.

FestusHood
12-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I'd be happy to. Just send me a self addressed, stamped envelope and I'll be glad to send you 50 cents. I'm not really on any "side". It is what it is. Back in 2006, I started reading a series and a few years ago, I caught up to the author so that I find myself waiting for the next book each time. For one book, he had a projected date in June which he needed to move back a couple months. He announced that he could finish a half-assed book on time or a whole-assed book a couple months later. The fan response was overwhelmingly for the whole-assed version. I'll gladly wait a couple extra hours for a whole-assed game.

If the author had spent as much time as the mad doctor in South Park, perhaps he could have produced a book with three asses.

FestusHood
12-16-2013, 11:28 AM
99% availability is related to these downtimes:

Downtime per day: 14 min. 23 sec.
Downtime per month: 7 hr. 18. min. 17 sec.
Downtime per year: 87 hr. 39 min. 29 sec.

Remembering downtime for an entire year, of course, is not considered by end users that just want to play a game. Thinking of this month's Turbine downtime.. so far.. is an easy comparison to reliability. Today's original downtime was scheduled from 0600 to 1000 EST then extended to noon: 6 hours. On December 9th scheduled downtime was another 3 hours. Not including the all to often additional server crashes that is 9 hours total.. so far in December. A little ratio and proportion algebra returns Turbine reliability:

7X = 99*9
7X = 891
X = 891/7 = 127.286

127% reliability but more hours of downtime indicates less availability: 27% less than 99%: 72%. That percentage is even less for rounding down hours from 7 hours 18 minutes 17 seconds to just 7 hours and not including other downtime problems than scheduled maintenance. .. And the month isn't over yet.

I have to admit, i dont know what your calculations are supposed to mean.

A month has 720 hours, so i get that 7 hours out of a month would represent about 1% of the total time, ergo 99% availability.

What i'm not getting is how 9 hours out of 720 becomes 27%.

Krelar
12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
7X = 99*9
7X = 891
X = 891/7 = 127.286

Your math seems a bit wacky here. I don't think it's measuring what you think it is.

Availability is really easy to measure there are about 8760 hours in a year (365*24) 1% percent of 8760 is 87.6 this is how they get the 87 hr. 39 min. 29 sec. of downtime per year for 99% availability. (they actually used about 365.25, likely to account for leap years)

There are 730 hours on average in a month (8760/12) so 9 hours of downtime a month translates to 9/730 or 1.23% downtime which mean they have 98.7% availability quite a bit better than 72%.

ImanCarrot
12-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I've just cancelled my subscription. I am voting with my cash. This is *****.

enochiancub
12-16-2013, 12:08 PM
This is *****.

What is? The maintenance that has been over for hours now?

Grecan
12-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Maybe you should perform those maintenances more often.. they give me some time to sleep =)

And this time, with the extended downtime, i even found the time to take a bath! Felt great after all this time 8-)

So thank you, Turbine! :-D

lol

lokomski
12-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Your math seems a bit wacky here. I don't think it's measuring what you think it is.

Availability is really easy to measure there are about 8760 hours in a year (365*24) 1% percent of 8760 is 87.6 this is how they get the 87 hr. 39 min. 29 sec. of downtime per year for 99% availability. (they actually used about 365.25, likely to account for leap years)

There are 730 hours on average in a month (8760/12) so 9 hours of downtime a month translates to 9/730 or 1.23% downtime which mean they have 98.7% availability quite a bit better than 72%.

Considered in the ratio and proportion is not only one company's service but a comparison to what is 99% reliability of online services of an entire industry. Games, banks, movie downloads.. any service accessed online. Thus partially the reason for specific reference: to keep my post from becoming a novel to describe the ratio of what is 99% and who is lower.
If every online service in the world had a 99% uptime and one service remained at 98% uptime the reliability of the one lower service would be far less than 99% compared to everyone else.
My apologies, I should have described at least that briefly the difference in meaning of availability and reliability.

Zenove
12-16-2013, 08:13 PM
If the author had spent as much time as the mad doctor in South Park, perhaps he could have produced a book with three asses.

I suspect it is much more reasonable to create a.. four assed baboon was it?.. since such things are part of the natural order of things. Under current technology, it's best to restrict books and games to single asses. Besides which, Dr. Mephisto is a genius. He did after all figure out who Cartman's father is.

lokomski
12-16-2013, 09:39 PM
It's not that, it's like every week we have a patch to fix a patch and an upgrade. I'll play as premium from now on because I am not paying inept incompetent imbeciles anymore.

*Subscription cancelled* and I urge others to do the same, it's the only way they'll take notice: hit them on the bottom line because all else will not work.

If you disagree then meet me in a dark alley, you'll be needing a patch or two afterwards I can assure you.

Years ago I let my subscriptions expire and remained premium ever since; related to the downtime and quick fixes that produce additional problems themselves. I understand if a company makes no profit eventually no product will be offered. When that time arrives for Turbine I'll just entertain myself with any of a thousand other choices of games. I have interests in DDO. The many different ways to build each class.. the newest enhancement system choices are great. I do not, however, have the emotional attachment an industry would wish from a client. When the game is gone I'll find my +5 sword somewhere else.