PDA

View Full Version : Am I gimping myself?

kmankowski
12-12-2013, 10:25 AM
So I am planning a rolling up a 12 fighter/ 6 something / 2 rogue next life. The 2 rogue is just for the trap skills because I am considering doing the 6 as monk. The question is though: are the monk levels worth it if I am planning on continuing to use my Green Steel great axes from my previous lives? I'm not sure I have it in me to farm up Green Steel quarterstaffs. But not being centered takes away everything but the bonus feats of the monk.

If I don't use the 6 monk levels, what other class would be worth it? Cleric and FVS don't seem to work because of their low skills points (trapping splash). Ranger doesn't seem to gel because I don't need the free TWF feats (using great axes).

Should I just suck it up and farm some quarterstaffs before I TR?

Thanks in advance!

Dandonk
12-12-2013, 10:27 AM
If you go far enough into the Kensai tree, you can be centered with your axes. And as for monk in general? Well, ask The Troll about monks ;)

Battery
12-12-2013, 10:27 AM
So I am planning a rolling up a 12 fighter/ 6 something / 2 rogue next life. The 2 rogue is just for the trap skills because I am considering doing the 6 as monk. The question is though: are the monk levels worth it if I am planning on continuing to use my Green Steel great axes from my previous lives? I'm not sure I have it in me to farm up Green Steel quarterstaffs. But not being centered takes away everything but the bonus feats of the monk.

If I don't use the 6 monk levels, what other class would be worth it? Cleric and FVS don't seem to work because of their low skills points (trapping splash). Ranger doesn't seem to gel because I don't need the free TWF feats (using great axes).

Should I just suck it up and farm some quarterstaffs before I TR?

Thanks in advance!

12 fighter gets you the ability to use your favored weapon as ki weapons and remain centered (tier 5 kensai ability One With The Blade)

unbongwah
12-12-2013, 10:32 AM
12 fighter gets you the ability to use your favored weapon as ki weapons and remain centered (tier 5 kensai ability)
Actually, ftr 8 is all you need: Gtw Weap Focus + Keen Edge + One w/Blade (and all their pre-reqs, natch). Going to ftr 12 also gets you Power Surge and 2 more feats (the last one is probably GWS for +2 dmg).

So yes, OP, you can play a centered monk / kensei using GS greataxes / eAGA / Cleaver just like all the cool kids do these days. :cool:

kmankowski
12-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Wow, thanks guys! Now am I really excited about my next life. Too funny because I looked at the monk enhancements to see what they offered as far as adding centered weapons, but I forgot to look at the fighter enhancements.

Lonnbeimnech
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
consider arti insted of rogue since you will get evasion from monk.

arti gets you an sp bar to power some ed abilities, such as cocoon.

Inoukchuk
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Great idea; also get you artificer knowledge (+2 UMD on scrolls and +1 CL on scrolls), some spells (e.g. enchant weapons for more damage, resist energy in case of death) and for 4 AP you can either have scroll mastery 75% or +90 spell pts (or both for 7ap).

Though if it's me I still choose paladin for the saves.

kmankowski
12-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Good advice. I am finding that squeezing trap skills into a fighter build is pretty tough anyway. My spot is pretty low by 20. Guess I'll be finding traps with my face.

Dandonk
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Good advice. I am finding that squeezing trap skills into a fighter build is pretty tough anyway. My spot is pretty low by 20. Guess I'll be finding traps with my face.

Artis also get access to trap skills, so you can still get them with enough int.

kmankowski
12-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeah, plenty of points for dd, search, and open lock. Just short on spot. We'll get to see how good my trap location memory is.