PDA

View Full Version : Feat selection for an Illusion AM / Pale Master build?

DDOisFree
12-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I saw a sick Illusion AM / PM wizard instakilling everything in epics, and I think I want this to be my Wizard's final life now instead of necro + enchantment. If I need to CC I can just use fear, as I was doing in the last wizard life I played and it works great.

Should I take both greater focuses in Illusion and Necromancy for it to work?

I have 3x wizard and 2x FVS lives already done and am working through my final FVS life atm, then I'm going to make a pure 20 sun elf wizard using a +1 lesser heart on a morninglord.

So I'm planning the following feats currently:

Level 1 - Maximize Spell, Extend Spell
Level 3 - Past Life Arcane Initiate
Level 5 - Heighten Spell
Level 6 - Spell Penetration
Level 9 - Greater Spell Penetration
Level 10 - Quicken Spell
Level 12 - SF Necromancy
Level 15 - SF Illusion, GSF Necromancy
Level 18 - GSF Illusion
Level 20 - either Empower or Enlarge spell?
Level 21 - Epic Spell Penetration
Level 24 - Great Intelligence
Level 26 - Epic Spell Power Negative
Level 27 - Great Intelligence
Level 28 - Epic Spell Power Force

Enhancements are:
12 points into the sun elf racial tree for +2 int and maxed elven arcanum,
26 points in Archmage illusion for +2 int, PK SLA, Spell penetration maxed, primary focus: Illusion
42 points in PM with all of the top tier perks and master of death.

Is that ok or would it be better with any changes?

Lanhelin
12-14-2013, 03:47 PM
There seems to be not much to say to your build^^

Except that I can't imagine a squishy Wiz to build for something else than Enchantment (because I feel forced to do pretty much solo on Wayfinder and Enchantment seems to be most survivable build), your Illusion Focus build seems viable and please tell us more about your experience with it. The one and only thing I can say - if you want to use other spells than the PK SLA you might want to rethink the AP spent in AM for Improved Heighten. And whether Epic Ability or Epic Spell Focus depends on what you want to get: +1 DC to prefered school earlier or + 1 DC to all schools later. That's it.

DDOisFree
12-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Oh I'll be using plenty of spells not just one:

PK x 2, FoD, CoD, Wail as the staples.

As for squishy, you mean due to a lack of CC? My enchantment spells will still work off my INT score, and plenty of spell pen here for irressistible dance, but forget all of that, all necromancers already have a much better underused spell at their disposal for CC ...

Fear. You have no idea how good it is till you try it. It also debuffs enemy saves by 2, I was using it exclusively along with Web SLA in my last wizard life as a necro / conjuration AM with the old enhancement system.

Enchantment is no longer important. Fear works great.

Though with 3 wizard lives done, I only had an issue with being squishy in my first due to being an ungeared 12 con drow, which I quickly changed. Even as necro / cojuration, I never needed enchantment spells other than disco ball and mass hold, and the reliance on those is significantly lessened once you figure out how much more amazing fear is.

bsquishwizzy
12-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I saw a sick Illusion AM / PM wizard instakilling everything in epics, and I think I want this to be my Wizard's final life now instead of necro + enchantment. If I need to CC I can just use fear, as I was doing in the last wizard life I played and it works great.

Should I take both greater focuses in Illusion and Necromancy for it to work?

I’ve seen similar builds. I ran with a guy once in GH with that same focus.

Problem with Illusion is that there is a narrow range of spells to use for damage. PK is nice, but it has an issue with two distinct saving throws being required for the kill effect. The other downside is that your mainstay killer spells are all subject to SR, which in EE content is near impossible to overcome, and that is on top of the very high DCs required to get a kill. The same thing applies to Enchantment as well. In Heroic content, you should be fine. Epic Hard and EE are going to be touch-and-go. If you want to go that route, really consider a bunch of past-lives for the spell pen (which it looks like you’ve done). I’d also start farming a lot of gear for the max INT item, and grabbing Yugo favor for the INT boosters.

I guess the point here is that if you throw too much into instakill, you end up slightly vulnerable when you need raw power because your top-tier abilities are invalidated by mobs who are resistant. Yes, you’ll have plenty of alternative spells, but doing decent damage with them is a combination of gear and feats, which you didn’t choose to go uber instakill.

Just something to think about.

As for squishy, you mean due to a lack of CC? My enchantment spells will still work off my INT score, and plenty of spell pen here for irressistible dance, but forget all of that, all necromancers already have a much better underused spell at their disposal for CC ...

Fear. You have no idea how good it is till you try it. It also debuffs enemy saves by 2, I was using it exclusively along with Web SLA in my last wizard life as a necro / conjuration AM with the old enhancement system.

Enchantment is no longer important. Fear works great.

That is unless you are a melee in a PUG chasing after all of the mobs caster has feared. It also has the unintended side-effect of triggering other mobs to join in the fight because the melee is running after a monster you feared to get the kill.

Keeping them in the same spot so the melees can beat them down is a better solution overall. If you primarily solo, Fear is not a bad spell to use.

DDOisFree
12-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Well the thing is I have enough feats for two greater focuses, and with all the past lives I've done, it would be a waste to make an evocation shiradi spammer on this character, which I already have a capped sorc for.

I've already played pure necro, necro / enchantment, and necro / conjuration, and found that CCs also became ineffective in EE, and its not like not having enchant focuses means I cant use enchantment CCs.

If it isn't effective at EE, I can just use my sorc instead and leave this one as an EH farm bot. I currently have 47 int and 43 illusion DC at level 16 which is tearing through mobs easilly in heroics, and I've seen it works in EH too.

While there aren't many illusion DC spells, you get cheap invis, blur and displace, and an extra 10 SP instakill that has a separate timer to normal PK. Overall I'm finding getting those 4 spells as SLAs much more useful than just having web, or any of the enchant or necro SLAs.

phillymiket
12-21-2013, 02:09 AM
This is very similar to the build I'm using now to get my 3 wiz PLs on my FVS.

Enlarge is an awesome feat with the PK SLA. Mobs don't even see you before they die.

The PK from 12-20 is crazy good but I don't know how I'd fare in EEs.

DDOisFree
12-21-2013, 02:22 AM
With just two feats left to take at level 18 and 20, I have to pick two out of extend, empower and enlarge.

Extend is a must have for displacement and auras, they don't last long enough without it. And I'm finding that with just maximize, my auras and neg energy burst don't heal as well as they could, so I'm really undecided if I should drop empower for enlarge.

DDOisFree
12-21-2013, 02:25 AM
This is very similar to the build I'm using now to get my 3 wiz PLs on my FVS.

Enlarge is an awesome feat with the PK SLA. Mobs don't even see you before they die.

The PK from 12-20 is crazy good but I don't know how I'd fare in EEs.

I suppose if I havnt taken enlarge up to level 20 then, I should just stick to empower, that way I can swap to damage spells for EEs instead. And also starting at level 15 as an iconic made enlarge less appealing.