PDA

View Full Version : Fighter vs. Paladin splashes for Melee/Healer specced Clerics

Brendael
12-06-2013, 02:53 AM
I'm not very experienced when it comes to multi-classing and I don't know enough about the classes but can someone give me a breakdown of the differences between splashing two levels of Fighter vs. splashing two levels of Paladin? As I understand it spashing Fighter twice gives you an extra combat feat so I'm not sure what you gain with going Paladin instead? Is this correct. I've also read about improved saves for Paladin - which saves are those?

FuzzyDuck81
12-06-2013, 03:00 AM
Not counting the enhancement lines, a 2 level splash will get you:
Fighters: Tower shield proficiency for free (the only class that does) & 2 combat feats.
Paladins: full save progression, charisma bonus added to saves, a blue bar, lay on hands (though won't do much, it's instant at least) & smite evil (again won't do much since it's based off paladin level for damage).

Paladins also are required to be lawful good alignment, which locks it out of certain class combinations where fighter is independent of that.

As for which is better to splash, it depends on what the rest of your build plan is.

kaleid0star
12-06-2013, 03:03 AM
At 2 levels of Paladin, you get passive feat, Divine Grace, that adds your charisma modifier to ALL of your saves. So basically its a choice between saves or combat feats. You could take 2 of each and do 16/2/2 but then that makes people wary of your healing capability.

unbongwah
12-06-2013, 08:29 AM
So basically its a choice between saves or combat feats.
This: ftr splash is better for your melee DPS; pally splash is better for your survivability. Ofc, some people go for both (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/427304-Radiant-Titan-revisited-Clr17-Pal2-Ftr1-melee-healing-spec)...

axel15810
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm not very experienced when it comes to multi-classing and I don't know enough about the classes but can someone give me a breakdown of the differences between splashing two levels of Fighter vs. splashing two levels of Paladin? As I understand it spashing Fighter twice gives you an extra combat feat so I'm not sure what you gain with going Paladin instead? Is this correct. I've also read about improved saves for Paladin - which saves are those?

2 fighter gives - 2 extra feats, haste boost

1 fighter gives - 1 extra feat, haste boost

2 pally gives - CHA bonuses added to all saves

So basically your two best options in my opinion are to go 17 cleric / 2 pally / 1 fighter if you want maximum survivability, 17 cleric / 2 fighter / 1 wizard if you want a maximum number of feats, it gives 2 extra feats over the pally splash. There's little reason to take an 18th cleric level, so the one WIZ level for an extra feat is your best option for your last level if splashing 2 fighter. The low level arcane wands, like blur, you can use from it are a nice little perk as well.

wtorchia
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
2 fighter gives - 2 extra feats, haste boost

1 fighter gives - 1 extra feat, haste boost

2 pally gives - CHA bonuses added to all saves

So basically your two best options in my opinion are to go 17 cleric / 2 pally / 1 fighter if you want maximum survivability, 17 cleric / 2 fighter / 1 wizard if you want a maximum number of feats, it gives 2 extra feats over the pally splash. There's little reason to take an 18th cleric level, so the one WIZ level for an extra feat is your best option for your last level if splashing 2 fighter. The low level arcane wands, like blur, you can use from it are a nice little perk as well.

Just a note. Because Blur is now part of the Warpriest enhancement line, Blur scrolls can now be used by Clerics. I was pleasantly surprised to find that out. Also 1 wizards gives you access to masters touch. Great for the early levels before you splash the fighter level.

Ailia
12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Just a note. Because Blur is now part of the Warpriest enhancement line, Blur scrolls can now be used by Clerics. I was pleasantly surprised to find that out. Also 1 wizards gives you access to masters touch. Great for the early levels before you splash the fighter level.

A bit of a fallacy since there is nothing preventing you from doing the fighter or pally splash where you would be splashing wizard, even as soon as the first level in the case of PDK variants of the build. Weapon proficiencies are a non-issue in any variant other than 18/2 clonk.

In terms of feats the core offensive feats are:

THF-ITHF-GTHF or TWF-ITWF-GTWF
PA-Cleave-GCleave-Ocrit
Icrit

Core defensive feats:
EHeal-Maximize-Quicken

11 feats, of which you get 10 leveling from 1-28, taking human gives you room for the last and has great synergy with any of the build variants that have one or more fighter levels. One level of fighter or monk frees up the level 27 epic feat, beyond that there isn't a lot to gain from a second fighter or monk level offensively, Empower would help defensibly but that's about it. 2 Paladin contributes nothing feat wise, but stacking +12 all saves is pretty damn strong considering it ties up zero enhancement points, also makes playing off-destiny in unyielding a lot less painful for divine ETRs.

wtorchia
12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
A bit of a fallacy since there is nothing preventing you from doing the fighter or pally splash where you would be splashing wizard, even as soon as the first level in the case of PDK variants of the build. Weapon proficiencies are a non-issue in any variant other than 18/2 clonk.

In terms of feats the core offensive feats are:

THF-ITHF-GTHF or TWF-ITWF-GTWF
PA-Cleave-GCleave-Ocrit
Icrit

Core defensive feats:
EHeal-Maximize-Quicken

11 feats, of which you get 10 leveling from 1-28, taking human gives you room for the last and has great synergy with any of the build variants that have one or more fighter levels. One level of fighter or monk frees up the level 27 epic feat, beyond that there isn't a lot to gain from a second fighter or monk level offensively, Empower would help defensibly but that's about it. 2 Paladin contributes nothing feat wise, but stacking +12 all saves is pretty damn strong considering it ties up zero enhancement points, also makes playing off-destiny in unyielding a lot less painful for divine ETRs.

You are correct that early access to master touch is not that big of a deal. I was just pointing out that is another upside to 1 wiz splash. There are builds that go 19 cleric / 1 wiz. I could see 17 cleric/2 paladin / 1 wiz as well. Just depends on if you want the speed boost from fighter or not. I personally recommend and use the 17 cleric / 2 paladin / 1 fighter build. I find it to be the best compromise between all of the options.