PDA

View Full Version : Bow Strength and Dex Mod

RavenAmazing
12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I happened to notice that the longbows I am using on my pure AA show the "Dex mod" listed on the weapon, whether equipped or not.

The "Bow Strength" feat, awarded at one of the lower levels, implies that the strength "bonus" is used for calculating damage as opposed to using dexterity. I am so curious now. How do I know that I am using strength instead of dexterity, as my strength is significantly higher than dex. I have noticed, that I continue to hit at the same numbers for many levels now, regardless of the bow I am using.

I love this Ranger toon, but I grow bored having to pump 25 arrows into a mob after mob just to move along. I just picked up the Underdark exp and I have to say, killing werewolves isn't fun. I think it takes way more arrows than it should. I am not looking to 1 hit kill, but I would like to complete a 10-15 minute quest in under 45 minutes.

What must I do to ensure I am getting the correct attribute from the Bow Strength feat?

Kawai
12-04-2013, 01:46 PM
I happened to notice that the longbows I am using on my pure AA show the "Dex mod" listed on the weapon, whether equipped or not.

The "Bow Strength" feat, awarded at one of the lower levels, implies that the strength "bonus" is used for calculating damage as opposed to using dexterity. I am so curious now. How do I know that I am using strength instead of dexterity, as my strength is significantly higher than dex. I have noticed, that I continue to hit at the same numbers for many levels now, regardless of the bow I am using.

I love this Ranger toon, but I grow bored having to pump 25 arrows into a mob after mob just to move along. I just picked up the Underdark exp and I have to say, killing werewolves isn't fun. I think it takes way more arrows than it should. I am not looking to 1 hit kill, but I would like to complete a 10-15 minute quest in under 45 minutes.

What must I do to ensure I am getting the correct attribute from the Bow Strength feat?

sounds like u took Grace Enhancie... (Elf Tree)?

Eliphelet
12-05-2013, 08:09 AM

As long as you have the feat Bow Strength then your strength mod will be added to your bow dmg. As a ranger you get it free without the pre-reqs, however if you're not a ranger then you need some pre feats to grab it.

ArcaneArcher52689
12-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Can you give us some more info? Like what numbers you're seeing, what you're str is, what level you are, and what build you are

and a couple things:
1st, any bow will have dex mod for attack. That's just how it is. And i don't remember if they display dex to damage.
2nd, werewolves have damage reduction, so unless you're using the metaline toggle or a metalline bow, you're going to deal less damage
3rd, keep in mind that ranged weapons are normally weaker than melee, because of the advantage of being ranged. WHere most people see damage is critical hits and manyshot.

Violith
12-05-2013, 09:17 AM

bow str adds your str mod to damage. Normally bows used without this feat dont get any mod for damage, so that Dexmod that it is showing is most likely for the ToHit not damage (unless like the other person said and you took graces from the elven tree). So that will probably be the amount of damage you will be doing forever, unless you take more enhancements that increase damage (such as elven core enhancements, use the archers focus stance, etc) or use abilities such as pin to make things helpless. Since your str build, do you have overwhelming crit? slayer arrow? (<- this is probably your most damage dealing, an attack that adds 250 daamge (before crits) is hard to miss

schelsullivan
12-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Hmm, Do I understand this correctly?

Dex = To Hit Mod
Str = Damage Mod

So dex ONLY determines hit or miss?
AND
Str ONLY determines damage?

Or

Does bow strength combine or add Str to Dex to determine damage?

I fuzzy on what my stats should really be for optimal bow damage (I like to melee some inbetween manyshots)

ArcaneArcher52689
12-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Hmm, Do I understand this correctly?

Dex = To Hit Mod
Str = Damage Mod

So dex ONLY determines hit or miss?
AND
Str ONLY determines damage?

Or

Does bow strength combine or add Str to Dex to determine damage?

I fuzzy on what my stats should really be for optimal bow damage (I like to melee some inbetween manyshots)

With a bow, normally there is no damage modifier, and Dex is the common to-hit modifier. However there are two ways to add a damage modifier to bows:
1) a character with the bow strength feat, which will add Str to your damage.
2) a character with Grace enhancement from the Elf tree, which will add your dex to damage with bows.

Optimal bow damage will usually be maxing str. However, considering the other benefits of maxing dex (and feat requirements of IPS and Combat Archery), some people prefer to use dex to damage instead.

schelsullivan
12-05-2013, 04:00 PM
With a bow, normally there is no damage modifier, and Dex is the common to-hit modifier. However there are two ways to add a damage modifier to bows:
2) a character with Grace enhancement from the Elf tree, which will add your dex to damage with bows.

Optimal bow damage will usually be maxing str. However, considering the other benefits of maxing dex (and feat requirements of IPS and Combat Archery), some people prefer to use dex to damage instead.

Ah thanks, I was begining to think that because I have bow strength feat and more dex that str I was nerfing myself.

Emizand
12-16-2013, 10:26 AM

But only Longbows or Shortbows, depending on your choice, NOT both.

Aerenal Grace: You may use Dexterity to determine the damage you deal with Longswords, Rapiers, and Longbows.

Valenar Grace: You may use Dexterity to determine the damage you deal with Scimitars, Falchions, and Shortbows.

thegreatneil
12-16-2013, 10:38 AM

Anyone else think these should stack, or is it just me?

Inoukchuk
12-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Anyone else think these should stack, or is it just me?

It's just you, monchers are generally regarded as OP already without adding another 15 damage/arrow.