PDA

View Full Version : On my final TR, please help me not mess it up.

Jaysun
11-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

So I took a long break and have not been past level 20 on my character but I was able to get many TR's in and I am finally on my last TR. So the next time I make my character it is going to be final and make it's way to the epic levels. I have no experience with what enhancements or races work best so please give me the pro's and cons. I will try to keep my questions organized below. My goal is to be solid in everything. Bow DPS, casting, and traps. My past lifes are cleric =1, Ranger =3, Wizard =1, rogue =1, and sorc = 3, fighter =1.

Here are the races I am looking at and why.

Half Elf= Since I am going the shadow dancer route, I think the rogue dilettante would be an amazing route? Really on the fence on this one.
Human = extra skill, extra feat, and increase to ability skills (skill boost)
Drow = Max caster DC and the poison stance (havent tried it yet..is it worth it?)
Warforge = I don't really want to play this race...I always have a partner with my wife so have never really needed the self heals. I would just use heal scrolls. If I am out of my mind..please let me know.

Feats =
1: Point blank shot (rapid shot if human)
3: Mental Toughness
4: precision
6: insightful reflexes
8: empower
9: improved mental toughness
12: improved critical ranged
12: maximize
15: Improved precise shot (maybe toughness instead)
16: spell focus evoc
18: arcane initiate
20: greater spell focus evoc
After 20...no clue what feats are best

The destiny I want to pick is shadow dancer because of the evasion. I know it's probably not the best DPS choice but like I said I am looking to be well rounded at traps, casting, and ranged dps.

Any guidance would be great. I have the next 4 days off so would really love to get started on this

Happy Thanksgiving.

skaught78
11-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm on my second life of arti. It's my fav class! I did warforged the first time around. I'm not crazy about the race, so I opted for halfling this time around. So far (level 11) it rocks! The thing I've noticed about Arti, is that at low levels (1-12ish) Most arti spells aren't that great. And the ones that are, don't get a huge boost from empower, mximize etc. SO from level 1-12, I took feats that boosted my ranged abilities, and am going to start taking spell boosting feats post level 12. (I have a whole spreadsheet on my home pc, but am at work currently, otherwise i'd link it). I also found that pre-level 12is I almost never ran out of, or even low on S.P, but at abougt level 14 or so, it was common to run very low or out completely. So I'd suggest taking mental toughness and empower after level 12, or at level 12 when you get two feats.
Arti was a class that I personally thought was slightly feat starved (unless you do go warforged) and I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me on this. Choose your feats wisely, and make sure you can get the max benefit out of them. I wouldn't bother with toughness. The HP is nice, but your going to be doing most of your fighting away from the mob, so you wont get hit as much anyway. Even soloing (which I'm doing a ton of on this life) I am killing most mobs, even big ones, before they even get close enough to hit me. For this reason, armor with spearblock is nice.
I could say the same for insightful reflexes. Chances are you'll have a relatively high dex, if your going to be using repeaters, and I'm not sure that the difference between your INT and DEX will be great enough to get a lot of benefit from taking it. At least not as much of a benefit from other feats. You'll also be able to trap, and as long as you know where most of them are in the game, you'll be fine.
Your 3 sorc lives will already give you +3 to your evocation DCs, so you may be able to get by without taking the evocation focus. I didn't take it on my first arti life, nor am I going to take it on this life. I'd get a second opinion on this though.
The three sorc lives will also give you 60 additional S.P. which might make it so your able to skip mental toughness, but like I said, at higher levels, arti's can blast through S.P. real fast, so I'd leave it up to you. If your good at preserving S.P., then skip it, if you like to flood AOEs and blast everything, then you may want to take it ( I also have 7 lives of hording S.P. pots so I may be biased)

So: What to take in place of these? Well, it's up to you, Look at the arti feats list again and decide for yourself. I'd at least try to squeeze in construct essence. Or throw me off as a B.Ser, it's all good ;) Just my two cents!

Good luck and have fun! Arti is my favorite class and a lot of fun to play. And perhaps a bit overpowered!

Jaysun
11-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the information:) I was curious what the benefits of construct essence? Is it just that I can use my repair spells to heal me? Is there some other aspect to it I am missing? I have never had any issues with healing mainly because I use heal scrolls or have a cleric hireling with me. I keep seeing people take this but just doesn't seem worth it for just the heal aspect along.

Annolas
11-28-2013, 07:46 PM
I played a drow arti to 20 when I first played before MotU. It was ok, but decided to reroll to a Warforged Arti when I just came back to play, who I just got to 28 recently. Warforged is so much more survivable with the easy access to healing. The penalties from Construct Essence are really severe; it's doable with it but preferable not to. When playing in Epic levels, having access to some sort of self healing is kind of necessary. If you're always playing with your wife who's going to be responsible for healing, then go human. Otherwise warforged is really strong.

I would avoid shadowdancer just for evasion. Shadowdancer isn't a very strong epic destiny choice and you lose out on so much going that route just for evasion. If you want evasion, splash to 18 arti/2 monk or 18 arti/2 rogue. But Artificers don't have very good saves so you will need to make sure to dedicate gear and ED points to making Reflex save worth it. Insightful Reflexes gives me about 4-5 more reflex save over just straight dexterity, and that much benefit from a feat slot is worth it.

I'm not sure about taking the spell focus feats. It's hard to get Arti's Evoc DCs as high as wiz/sorcs, and wiz/sorcs have major trouble getting their DCs high enough. With your 3 past sorc lives, you probably could make a good run for it. But I would consider Dodge and Quicken as options. If you are going that high with DCs, get your SLAs in Arcanotechnician, and use them all to heck. I'm full down the Battle Engineer tree, but spent the rest of my points in Arcanotechnician to get most of the SLAs.

For EDs, Shiradi, Fury of the Wild, and Draconic Incarnation (especially with the spell/DC focus) are all great. Lots of people say Fury is the strongest, but I'm a big fan of Shiradi. It works nicely with Arti since all the repeater attacks trigger Shiradi procs, as do your spells if you're throwing them.

skaught78
11-28-2013, 07:48 PM
It's a give & take thing. AT lower levels, it doesn''t do much for you, (cause it's 50% healing from repair) but at level 10 now, I can heal myself for a reasonable amount. And I still find that healers/hirelings can heal me just fine. More on this later, as my boss is here lol!!!

Singular
12-05-2013, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the information:) I was curious what the benefits of construct essence? Is it just that I can use my repair spells to heal me? Is there some other aspect to it I am missing? I have never had any issues with healing mainly because I use heal scrolls or have a cleric hireling with me. I keep seeing people take this but just doesn't seem worth it for just the heal aspect along.

Construct essence is only good if you're not going to be UMDing scrolls or twisting in cocoon, and are trying to max dps out (you can add .5 damage dice to a weapon w/Weapon Attachment). But it'll hold you back in EE content - you won't be able to heal as well as others and this will kill you often.

Contrary to what was said above, I find Mental Toughness and Improved, useful for the +1% crits. Additionally, the spell focus feats are necessary if you like doing damage through spells and the rune arm. Yes, arties can't get super high dcs, but that doesn't mean that good dcs aren't worth aiming for. My artie has 3 sorc and 1 wiz past lives, plus evoc focus, greater evoc, and epic - and I can land tac/dets in EE content at a roughly 50% rate. Plus the extra dc's decrease the likelihood of your run arm being evaded or saved all the time and so increase your dps output.

Hilltrot
12-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Well, I'm probably too late, but oh well.

Arties have 3, yes THREE aoe spell-like abilities which can be maximized, empowered, quickened, and heightened and then cast for fewer spell points than a cure light wounds. Oh, and did someone mention the infinite fire power rune arm?

In any case, I would wait until you actually feel like you need to before spending feats on mental toughness.

Which reminds me, one of the feats you really need is heighten. It makes no sense to have three past lives of sorcerer, level as a drow, and spend two feats on evocation focus if you're going to let your lightning sphere lose 4 bonus and free levels of DC.

Drow poison is nice . . . but you have to spend a ton to get it. And the Artificer trees have quite a bit of nice stuff in it. Yes, there are some real losers in the artie tree, but you might find the Drow poison to be awfully costly.

Construct essence sucks. It is the only way the get the +0.5 Dice on the artificer tree, but it really sucks. Half the healing is just simply not enough for high damage situations. You'll find that you have insufficient self-healing even at the lower levels.

"Warforge = I don't really want to play this race...I always have a partner with my wife so have never really needed the self heals. I would just use heal scrolls. If I am out of my mind..please let me know."

Ditto. But, you simply won't be able to self-heal that well. That being said, if you don't plan on soloing and know of a favored soul or cleric who is actually willing to heal, Drow is far more powerful as far as damage and casting. If someone else is healing you, then you will likely not run out of spellpoints that quickly. Most of my spell points are used up healing and buffing.

other feats you forgot -

Quicken - only 6 more spells points and important for so many reasons. (No more points in concentrate. Free for your 3 AOEs.)
Precision - More damage with crossbow. Most misunderstood and under-appreciated feat. (Oh you have this, but you've forgotten that you need precise shot, before you take improved precise shot. Oh, and you'll find that you need precise shot at level 3.)

I would have to agree that insightful reflexes is meh. The sorcerer past life feat is simply overkill with the fear your will not have spell points. Remember, you're an artie, not a sorcerer wannabe dysfunctional rogue.

The worse thing about not playing the class you want to end up as is that you don't know if you like it. Roll a level 7 artie and try it out. Of course, you could always TR again if you don't like it.

Enchant a screaming heavy repeating crossbow of bleeding, you'll find it works for quite some time in the early levels.