PDA

View Full Version : Can someone provide me with a good drow bard build?

SirRaccoon
11-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey guys. I've been looking to get back into playing the game and I was thinking that creating a drow bard would be a great way to re-familiarize myself with DDO.

Unfortunately, I've completely forgotten EVERYTHING when it comes to making builds...

That being said, could anyone provide me a pretty good bard build for drow? I was thinking warchanter...if I recall, they're pretty desirable to have in raids, but it's been awhile...

BoBoDaClown
11-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Hey guys. I've been looking to get back into playing the game and I was thinking that creating a drow bard would be a great way to re-familiarize myself with DDO.

Unfortunately, I've completely forgotten EVERYTHING when it comes to making builds...

That being said, could anyone provide me a pretty good bard build for drow? I was thinking warchanter...if I recall, they're pretty desirable to have in raids, but it's been awhile...

I wouldn't worry about Warchanter vs Spellsinger choice too much, since you can go into both trees, and swap when you want, without any feat requirements. That said, the Spellsinger Tree is generally juicer.

Melee and Healing
or CC and Healing are your big choices.

What tickles your fancy?

marinerfan
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Melee and Healing
or CC and Healing are your big choices.

What tickles your fancy?

This pretty much sums it up - what play style sounds fun to you?

It sounds like you may not be privy to the enhancement update that was made? Basically you can pick and choose between the "warchanter" and "spellsinger" trees now, but can only get the top tier enhancements from 1 or the other, not both. I'd suggest spellsinger top tier just because the sp regen song seems really handy (I have a 12 bard/8 other stuff splash that uses the sp regen song and can easily self-heal thru an entire mission despite only have 750ish sp, without using heal scrolls..and i can throw heals at others if things get hairy). I am not super familiar with the warchanter's top tier songs..maybe they are useful but I will defer to others' advice...1 comment, it seems the GH song is bugged to only affect you, not the whole party (at least this is the case when I sing GH song)

Do you want to be a pure bard, or are you thinking a multi-class would be fun?

SirRaccoon
11-30-2013, 01:14 PM
This pretty much sums it up - what play style sounds fun to you?

It sounds like you may not be privy to the enhancement update that was made? Basically you can pick and choose between the "warchanter" and "spellsinger" trees now, but can only get the top tier enhancements from 1 or the other, not both. I'd suggest spellsinger top tier just because the sp regen song seems really handy (I have a 12 bard/8 other stuff splash that uses the sp regen song and can easily self-heal thru an entire mission despite only have 750ish sp, without using heal scrolls..and i can throw heals at others if things get hairy). I am not super familiar with the warchanter's top tier songs..maybe they are useful but I will defer to others' advice...1 comment, it seems the GH song is bugged to only affect you, not the whole party (at least this is the case when I sing GH song)

Do you want to be a pure bard, or are you thinking a multi-class would be fun?

Ah...indeed. I was unaware of the enhancement update at the original time I posted this. I'll probably be going spellsinger, yeah. I'm not the greatest at multi-classing... What would you both recommend I take a couple levels of for some decent damage with a melee weapon?

Rawrargh
11-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Ah...indeed. I was unaware of the enhancement update at the original time I posted this. I'll probably be going spellsinger, yeah. I'm not the greatest at multi-classing... What would you both recommend I take a couple levels of for some decent damage with a melee weapon?

2 fighter levels for 2 feats.
2 rogue levels for evasion (and maybe even trapping if you have the skillpoints to spare).
2 ranger for bow-related feats.
1 or more barb levels for fast movement and ragey-stuff.

Take your picks.

Personally I'd go with atleast 16 bard levels for otto's irresistable dance, it's like a no-fail trip basicaly with a short cooldown, assuming no spell resistance.

Steevye
11-30-2013, 10:59 PM

You can do either. Fighter meshes well with the warchanter tree and cleric offers divine might with only 3 levels needed. Evasion isn't bad to have either, but mine doesn't and seems to be fine so long as she can pop a heal (a new addition to the SS's capstone).

Honestly with items and what not self healing is cake. SP management with bards is a bit tougher, except the SP regen song does help a little with that.

Since bards don't really do dps with their blue bar, if you're soloing you'll need some avenue to melee enemies, so yes, find a way to toss in some combat abilities. The most common is THF (without the feats) combined with power attack and improved critical. Most who seem to go this route toss in both cleaves, which makes sense. The necessity of these though I'll leave to better suited people as I don't typically build this route.

One thing on the side, though, even if you consider yourself sub-par with multiclassing, U19 sort of did the dirty work for you, so even a brick can multiclass pretty well these days. That being said, my preference is still the pure 20 SS bard.

BoBoDaClown
12-01-2013, 03:31 AM
You still haven't given us enough info. If you aren't going spell based DC, I wouldn't use a Drow. I'm still keen on Humans because we're feat starved as bards.

If I was to have a single bard, and I didn't want to be a casting bard, I'd probably build something like:
HUMAN
20 Bard

TWF Variant
Str: 16 - Level Ups
Con: 16
Dex 14 +3 tome to qualify for GTWF
Cha: 12

THF Variant
Str: 18 - level ups
Con: 16
Dex 8
Cha: 12

FEATS:

Heroic:
TWFx3 or THFx3
Empower Heal
Cleavesx2
Improve Crit
PA

Epic:
Inspire Excellence
Overwhelming Critical
Quicken

Destiny:
Lasting Inspiration
Perfect Two Handed/ Two Weapon Fighting Fighting -> not sure what the best dps destiny feat is out of all the options?

SKILLS:
Balance, UMD, Heal, Concentration, Perform

Enhancements:
I'd go deep into Spellsinger, picking up the Capstone (Heal spell) + vigor (SP regen). Spending the rest in Warchanter and Human.

This bard will give you very good healing, moderate dps, great buffing, song based CC + Otto's Irresistible

If you wanted Drow, you'd have to lose a feat.

If you wanted more dps, you'd have to start splashing.

unbongwah
12-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Fighter meshes well with the warchanter tree and cleric offers divine might with only 3 levels needed.
Divine Might only req's lvl 1 cleric or FvS splash.

Steevye
12-01-2013, 10:54 PM

Noted, that makes it even more worthwhile for a splash then.

ArcaneArcher52689
12-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Hm... I'd forgotten about this when trying to build my drow bard... Had been playing with bard/ranger concept, but now i'll have to look into this...

unbongwah
12-03-2013, 02:05 PM
That being said, could anyone provide me a pretty good bard build for drow?
Good at what: Melee? Healing? Traps? Disco balls? Piking? :cool:

marinerfan
12-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Some good ideas thrown around above.

Ideas:
1) Pure bard for CC fun + wail of the banshee (mediocre at best DC, I hear) + heal

2) 16 bard/ 2 fighter/ 2 rogue - survivable (evasion) + solid dps + CC (irresistable dance) + traps (consider having a decent int and taking insightful reflexes and using a 2 handed weapon if you're going 28 or even 32 pt build..2 weapon fighter is also possible but it'd be stretching you thin)

3) 12 bard/ 6 ranger/ 2 rogue - survivable (evasion) + solid dps (manyshot!!) + traps + good 2 weapon fighter.
(side note: I made this character 2+ years ago and still play her fairly regularly - she has survived all the enhancement changes remarkably well and always finds some way to be useful in parties..and she's tough to kill because of pretty good saves)

4) 18 bard/ 1 cleric/ 1 fighter - mentioned above..I haven't played this but I can see it being fun

5) 16 bard/ 4 fvs or cleric - no idea if it'd be any good but you could take ameliorating strike and be a pretty handy healer while still doing melee damage/CC

6) 16 bard/ 3 rogue/ 1 cleric - similar to #4, but trapper capable with evasion and some sneak attack damage to boot

*EDIT* I'd just like to say, I don't recommend ever going barbarian/bard splash because when you rage, it makes you unable to cast, making you much less self-sufficient. Obviously it CAN work, but it does not fit with my playstyle -- I like flexibility and raging takes that away...now playing as a barbarian is a different story :p

Scrag
12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
15 bard 4 arti 1 cleric drow.
16 str, 16 cha 14 con 14 int on a 30 pt drow. You get 7 feats +1 metamagic for level 4 arti. Totally self sufficient, but you have to actively search traps, since you don't have enough points to spend on search and spot.

Levels are: 1 cleric, 2/3 arti,4->15 bard, 16/17 arti, 18->20 bard.

Arti levels are split to maximize trap finding and disabling throughout all 20 levels. Late arti levels are also to maximize skill point use on search, disable, and pick (since scrolls of knock suck for level, and thus chance to actually work). Bread and butter are songs + divine might +pa +skaldic rage +cleave, and with proper equip can do 150-180 point cure crits and 130-150 point cure serious. Without level 16 trap gear (tier 3 spyglass, tier 3 extra hand), you can trap all the way up to level 16 elite quests at level 14, assuming you have an ext. +int skill gs item.

1 emp heal
3 force of presence
6 pa
9 empower
12 quicken
15 imp crit
17 maximize (bonus)
18 cleave
If you went with 18 str and cut int to start with a 32 pt drow, you could pick up overwhelming crit as well at 21.

Totally rocks hard.

edit: missing feat was quicken