PDA

View Full Version : The swordmage - Looking for help with designing a build!

MagicBlade
11-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Hello all, I am trying to create a character that's focused around the Wizard's Eldritch Knight tree, designing the character as a Swordmage,

The idea of the Swordmage is to wear light or no armor, and instead use their spells to deflect blows, while they go in and use their sword, and spell casting to defeat their foes.

The character I am wanting to create:
High Melee DPS - Wanting high melee dps as the primary source of damage, using TWF or THF
Moderate-High Spell DPS - Wanting high spell dps as a secondary source of damage, to incorporate offensive spell casting along with the melee combat
Suvivability - Hard to take out, or hard to hit, able to survive solo if need be
Self Healing - Able to self heal most, if not all of the damage taken relatively quickly, without draining full SP.

I've played around some with different ideas, and I do realize that creating the swordmage character will require a lot of feats to pull off. For this reason, I'm looking for multiclass builds...

Such as: 12 Wizard/6 Monk/2 Fighter, 12 Wizard/6 Fighter/2 Monk, 12 Wizard/6 Fighter/2 Paladin, and other numerous builds...

Key Feats:
Extend, Quicken, Spell Focus, Mental Toughness, Two Weapon/Handed Fighting, Improved Two Weapon/Handed Fighting, Greater Two Weapon/Handed Fighting, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Critical, and Power Critical.

Secondary Feats:
Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirling Steel Strike (Monk), Oversized Weapons (TWF), Empower, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Spell Focus.

The highest number of feats I can come up with is 16-17 (and still have viable survive/healing) 12 Wizard (3), 6 Monk (3), 2 Fighter (2), Human (1) and 7 Default, this totals to 16 Feats. Or with switching Fighter and Monk, it gives 4 Fighter, 2 Monk..

I have looked at the 12 Wizard/6 Monk/2 Fighter so far, and it has a few different paths it can go.

12 Wizard - Allows for use of Wraith in Palemaster for Self healing, +3% Dodge, Ghost Touch, 25% Incorporeal, 100% Fortification, Feather Fall, and Con Dmg on Crit, Level 6 Spells
6 Monk - Allows for use of monk stances, +6% Dodge, Evasion, 2x Wis AC bonus, Imunity to Diseases, increased BAB, +6% Movement speed, Monk Finishing Moves, +2 To saves, Adept of Forms, Philosophy
2 Fighter - 2 Feats

BAB: 12/12/17/22 - probably not the best for BAB with a melee character.. but with 12 Wizard levels, can't go any higher than that, and unless there's an alternate build I can do that doesn't involve Wraith, can't drop 12 Wizard easily.
Tenser's Transformation puts the BAB at same level - and for this reason, I may consider going with the first option using TWF.

Starting stats would depend on the weapon selection:
10/16/14/16/14/8 - TWF
16/10/14/16/14/8 - THF

As far as enhancements, it also depends on what my weapon selection is.. for there's several possibilities...

I can go with the following:
40 Points in Eldritch Knight for: Eldritch Strike, Eldritch Tempest, 6% Doublestrike, Perm Tensers, Arcane Barrier (25% reduction at 50% hp) Improved Mage Armor (10% total armor bonus), Improved Shield (+10 PRR), +15 HP, +2 Str, +3 Concentraion/Spellcraft.
21 for Palemaster: Wraith, +3% Dodge, +30 HP, +10% Negative Healing, +3% Negative crit, and 1d6 Negative SLA (filler)
4 for Kensai: +1 to hit, +30% Haste Boost
15 to Ninja Spy: DEX to hit, DEX to dmg, +3 Balance, Jump, Tumble, +3% Dodge, -20% Threat, Fists of Iron (3[W] Attack (+1 Crit Threat/Mod)) and Sting of the Ninja (up to 20 stacks of 1d4 poison/3 secs, 5% poison increase)

The above is for a Dex based TWF, focused on Dodge/Evasion and Survivability, while still incorporating Melee and Spell casting for DPS

Could also go with the following:
33 Henshin Mystic: Riddle of Fire, Ki Bolt, Sounding Staff, All Consuming Flame, Mystic Training, Way of the Tortoise, Fists of Iron, Quick Strike, Light the Candle, Staff Specialization, Staff Training II
((+15 Fire/Force, SLA Ki Bolt, 3% Fire/Force Crit, 3 Universal SP/Enhance Point on Staff, +3 DC to monk finishers, +2 to Concentration, +10 HP, Fists of Iron {3[W] +1 crit threat/mod ki attack} Quick Strike {3[W] +25% Doublestrike for 10 Seconds (20 sec CD)}, +1d8 Fire on hit, +3d10 Force on Crit, +1 Crit Threat, +1 Crit Mod, +2 to hit, +4 to damage with staffs))
22 Eldritch Knight: Eldritch Strike, Improved Mage Armor III, Toughness III, Spellsword, Martial Training, Arcane Barrier III, Improved Shield III, Strength, Spellsword, Battlemage, Strength
((1[W] 0-2 Force Attack, affected by SP, +10% Ac, +15 HP, +4% Doublestrike, 25% reduced dmg at 50% hp, +10 PRR, +2 Strength, +1 Concentration/Spellcraft))
21 Palemaster: Dark Reaping, Deathless Vigor III, Spell Crit: Negative II, Negative Energy Conduit, Bone Armor, Necrotic Touch, Shroud of the Zombie, Shroud of the Vampire, Shroud of the Wraith
((Wraith, +3% Dodge, +30 HP, +10% Negative Healing, +3% Negative crit, and 1d6 Negative SLA (filler)))
4 Kensai: Weapon Focus: Druidic, Haste Boost III
((+1 to hit, +30% haste boost for 30 seconds))

Another option is to go enough in Henshin Mystic to get the 3x Light the Candle (25) Enough in PM to get Wraith (21) and this would leave me with enough to get the full Eldritch (minus Tempest) (34) but I also wouldn't be able to get the +30% Haste Boost if I go this route..

With the above, it would be with the THF with level ups in Str, not sure how well it'd do without the added 3% base doublestrike, or the perm Tensers. I could use Tensers' as a level 6 Spell, but it only lasts for 144 seconds (2 minutes 24 seconds) at level 12, while Extended. Without Tensers, I loose some on my melee dps (+4 Str/Dex/Con +6 AC) but I don't have the -2 DC/Spell Pen and increased cooldown for spells. I feel that this second setup could be more spell focused, with a bit on melee dps, I've never played a henshin mystic, so I have no idea how well the 33 in Henshin would be.

I'm also looking into other ideas that i could pull off, for what I am after, these 2 are the more prominent that I have looked over so far, although I haven't checked out many different ideas just yet.

Gear:

+6-8 Con, Str, Dex, Wis, Int
+X Fire/Frost/Shock/Acid Spellpower
+X Negative Spellpower
+X Negative Crit
+X Universal/Force Spellpower
+X Spell Focus
Dodge
Doublestrike

Not sure what other gears to really aim for - if anyone can give any ideas, that'd be appreciated.

garr71
11-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Hey, intresting builds, i was wondering, at wich levels would you take each class in a multiclass such as this? im kinda noob with spreads like these as im always pure or 18/2

MagicBlade
11-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Hey, intresting builds, i was wondering, at wich levels would you take each class in a multiclass such as this? im kinda noob with spreads like these as im always pure or 18/2

That I don't know just yet, sorry, it could go several different ways, depending on how you want to do the character really.. I've not looked that far into these 3 builds yet.

ThePrincipal
11-25-2013, 11:31 AM
I have a sword mage build I can share. It's currently lvl 22.

12 ranger, 7 wizard, 1 rogue Human - Tempest 2, Archmage 1 in Fury of the Wild

Ranger gives free TWF chain, lots of useful spells, evasion, manyshot, and haste boost
Wizard gives useful spells like dimension door, displacement, haste, rage, fire shield, invisibility, sleet storm, etc.
Rogue give full traps/locks, sneak damage

I don't remember all the feats but I took maximize, empower healing, extend and quicken. Idea was to get the most out of cure spells and buffs. Now I get healing from EDS - cocoon, healing spring, and fast healing

Quick draw was very important. This build loves boosts and to switch between twf and bow. Improved Crit and Power Attack are required for any melee.

Thrudh
11-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Ranger gives free TWF chain, lots of useful spells, evasion, manyshot, and haste boost
Wizard gives useful spells like dimension door, displacement, haste, rage, fire shield, invisibility, sleet storm, etc.

I don't remember all the feats but I took maximize, empower healing, extend and quicken. Idea was to get the most out of cure spells and buffs. Now I get healing from EDS - cocoon, healing spring, and fast healing

Quick draw was very important. This build loves boosts and to switch between twf and bow. Improved Crit and Power Attack are required for any melee.

I had a character just like this for many years... He was my favorite... ranger/wizard is pretty solid....

The problem is, almost all good low-level wizard spells can now be found in clickables, so I rerolled him a couple of years ago into a fighter/ranger/monk with access to all the same wizard spells he had before..

It made me sad... The classic fighter/wizard of AD&D is not nearly as useful in DDO... I had my guy long ago, and being able to self-cast haste, displacement, rage, blur, shield, exp retreat was awesome... Now I have ALL those things anyway without taking a single wizard level.

:(

Lifespawn
11-25-2013, 12:29 PM
12/6/2 barb wizard ftr bladeforged would require an lr+1 and an alignment change which is stupid but 6 wiz would give u haste rage and displacment along with the eldrich knight tree

bladeforged gives you the recon spell and 2 ftr for feats

This doesn't give you any high spell damage but gives you good dps and survivability

Sergius64
11-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Recently tried looking at it myself. EK doesn't really synergize well with Monk. Also a problem with monk is that your spellSWORD is going to most likely be using something else then swords in order to stay centered.

MagicBlade
11-25-2013, 03:52 PM

It's an interesting build, but to me, this looks solely like only a melee character who has a little ability to range, and who uses spells to buff and heal. I wouldn't consider this as a swordmage character. While the ability to buff and heal are nice, the build I'm after is one who uses offensive spellcasting mixed in with melee.

MagicBlade
11-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Recently tried looking at it myself. EK doesn't really synergize well with Monk. Also a problem with monk is that your spellSWORD is going to most likely be using something else then swords in order to stay centered.

Monks can use short swords via ninja spy, also long swords via whirling steel strike if can spare 2 feats for it.

DrWily
11-26-2013, 10:13 PM
i just got back to playing today and i LR'd my drow 20 arti into a 12 wiz/6 arti/2 rogue, using only the PM/EK/drow lines and skipping out on the other lines. using a celestia i got from the raider box i could get a moderately high dps which i can certainly get higher if i switched around a few things along with having more melee cleaves. i had to use 2 rogue as i was true neutral before and i dont have tp for an alignment change item, but the 2 rogue can be easily switched out for 2 monk so long as you spend 1 point in the ninja tree to be centered with short swords. he is currently lv27 but his hp and sp have both jumped dramatically

the 12 wiz gets me 3 lv6 spells and 2 bonus feats, vamp/wraith shrouds and perma-tensers and up to 3 spellsword toggles, the 6 arti gets 1 lv3 spell (insightful damage), ok trapping skills, umd and a bonus feat, rogue 2 gets evasion (obviously) slightly better trapping skills, slightly better umd

i would have to redo him again if i wanted to make him full melee though

ThePrincipal
11-29-2013, 10:18 AM
a 18sorc/2pally bladeforge might fit what you are looking for. but ive found that you will be sad with melee dps and use spell dps for 95% of content.

Lanceroy
12-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Wraith Tempest Knight

If you only have 28 pt builds, drop dex by 2 and you'll have 2 extra points to put wherever you want.
If you want more survivability, you can replace Blinding Speed at lv 27 with epic reflex.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.03
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 28 Lawful Good Halfling Male
(2 Rogue \ 6 Ranger \ 12 Wizard \ 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 478
Spell Points: 948
BAB: 13\13\18\23
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 22
Will: 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 28)
Strength 6 9
Dexterity 20 28
Constitution 16 21
Intelligence 14 17
Wisdom 8 11
Charisma 8 11

Tomes Used
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 18
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 18
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 18
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 18
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 18
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 18

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 28)
Balance 9 21
Bluff -1 8
Concentration 5 15
Diplomacy -1 8
Disable Device 6 34
Haggle -1 8
Heal 1 21
Hide 5 21
Intimidate -1 8
Jump 2 13
Listen -1 10
Move Silently 5 19
Open Lock 9 40
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 2 11
Search 6 34
Spellcraft 4 13
Spot -1 8
Swim -2 7
Tumble 9 21
Use Magic Device 3 12

Level 1 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Concentration (+2)
Skill: Disable Device (+4)
Skill: Heal (+2)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Open Lock (+4)
Skill: Search (+4)
Skill: Spellcraft (+2)
Skill: Tumble (+4)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge

Level 2 (Wizard)
Skill: Disable Device (+1)
Skill: Open Lock (+1)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell

Level 3 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 4 (Wizard)

Level 5 (Wizard)

Level 6 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Mental Toughness

Level 7 (Wizard)

Level 8 (Wizard)

Level 9 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Spring Attack

Level 10 (Wizard)

Level 11 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 12 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Whirlwind Attack

Level 13 (Wizard)

Level 14 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elemental

Level 15 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Ranger)
Skill: Heal (+3)
Skill: Search (+1)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 19 (Ranger)
Skill: Heal (+4)

Level 20 (Rogue)
Skill: Heal (+4)

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Toughness

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Blinding Speed

Level 28 (Epic)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Shield of Whirling Steel (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Tempest (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Graceful Death (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Reaction (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Reaction (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Reaction (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Whirling Blades (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Parry (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Dodge (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Dodge (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Dodge (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Mobility (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Mobility (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Mobility (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Dark Reaping (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Shroud of the Zombie (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Shroud of the Vampire (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Shroud of the Wraith (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Deathless Vigor (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Deathless Vigor (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Deathless Vigor (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Spell Critical: Negative Energy I (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Negative Energy Conduit (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Negative Energy Conduit (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Negative Energy Conduit (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Spell Critical: Negative Energy II (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Bone Armor (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Bone Armor (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Bone Armor (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Spell Critical: Negative Energy III (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Spell Critical: Negative Energy IV (Rank 1)

Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Eldritch Strike (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Improved Mage Armor (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Toughness (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Improved Shield (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Martial Training (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Elemental Resistance (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Critical Accuracy (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Ability Increase: Dex (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Ability Increase Dex (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Critical Damage (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Spellsword: Acid (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Spellsword: Frost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Spellsword: Fire (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Wand and Scroll Mastery (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Tenser's Transformation (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Eldritch Knight (Wiz) - Doublestrike (Rank 3)

Talon_Moonshadow
12-01-2013, 07:40 PM
I had a character just like this for many years... He was my favorite... ranger/wizard is pretty solid....

The problem is, almost all good low-level wizard spells can now be found in clickables, so I rerolled him a couple of years ago into a fighter/ranger/monk with access to all the same wizard spells he had before..

It made me sad... The classic fighter/wizard of AD&D is not nearly as useful in DDO... I had my guy long ago, and being able to self-cast haste, displacement, rage, blur, shield, exp retreat was awesome... Now I have ALL those things anyway without taking a single wizard level.

:(

Eldritch Knight has given mine a little bit of new life. ;)

But other than being Displaced just about as often as I could want.... yeah..... everything else is available and there are even clickies and dragon marks for displacement.

We even have a bunch of gear now with perma-blur.

Hard pressed tp justify my build in recent years...

But I am enjoying EK enhancments.