PDA

View Full Version : Need Wizard Advice

bennyson
11-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Am thinking about rebuilding my human wizard so that he can do Epic Elite content after he becomes a 38-point build character through via Epic Reincarnation. This is what am thinking of doing to him.

Main Stats: Con, Int (every stat point increase at levels 4, 8, 12 etc will be spend in Int)

Primary School: Necromancy

Secondary School: Enchantment

Normal Character Feats:
Toughness
Mental Toughness
Insightful Reflexes
Improved Mental Toughness
Spell Focus: Necromancy
Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
Active Wizard Past Life Feat
Augment Summoning

Wizard Bonus Feats:
Empower
Maximize
Extend
Heighten
Quicken

Epic Feats:
Epic Spell Focus: Necromancy
Epic Mental Toughness
Ruin

Epic Destiny Feats:
Epic Mage Armor
Hellball

Main Epic Destiny: Magister (DC focused/undead summoner. No nullmagic or sigils or arcane tempest)

Main Skills:
Concentration
Heal(skill)
Spellcraft

My wizard is going to be mostly Pale Master with a little bit of Archmage, all for Int bonuses plus small margins of the Human tree (no more then 3 action points as I only want the spellpower action boost and the extra int).

If anyone has suggestions on anything please let me know, also a question

What is the BEST Epic Past Life feat for wizards?

ChemE
11-19-2013, 02:31 PM
I have 2 fs and 2 sorc PL for when I thought I wanted to be an evoker specced fs. but I suspect wiz past lives are the best followed by bard and fs. 38 point build is not possible only 36 and right now, Drow and sun elf are far better raCES than human for the spell dc's

bennyson
11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
This isn't helpful

Enoach
11-19-2013, 02:50 PM
If I had to pick one for a PM Wizard Life I would lean towards Power over Life and Death for the +10 to Positive/Negative Energy

The Critical bonuses are nice, but as a PM I found most of my damage or needs were met with negative energy.

bennyson
11-19-2013, 03:26 PM
I'll keep that in mind, but any other suggestions such as my current feat choices and such? Or am I making a solid build as of now?

If anything is terrible with my current build idea please tell me, I'd rather have a good build than a gimp one

Failedlegend
11-19-2013, 10:03 PM
I have 2 fs and 2 sorc PL for when I thought I wanted to be an evoker specced fs. but I suspect wiz past lives are the best followed by bard and fs. 38 point build is not possible only 36 and right now, Drow and sun elf are far better raCES than human for the spell dc's

Drow and Sun Elf are 1-2 DC ahead of human but their racial abilities are inferior to human ad they get an extra feat/skill pt...id say their about equal. Also drow is inferior to sun elf in every way if you don't mind using an LR+1 to ditch the cleric level.

Satyriasys
11-19-2013, 10:13 PM
I would drop the mental toughness, toughness and augment summons and get some spell pen and Enchantment focus.

For epic feats go with Necromancy and Great Intelligence.
Take the negative spellpower from the divine sphere.

Ruin, Epic Mage Armor and Hellball are all but useless.

I would go with Sun Elf.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Drow and Sun Elf are 1-2 DC ahead of human but their racial abilities are inferior to human ad they get an extra feat/skill pt...id say their about equal. Also drow is inferior to sun elf in every way if you don't mind using an LR+1 to ditch the cleric level.

I thought the Sun Elf race was Morninglord only

Satyriasys
11-20-2013, 09:22 AM
I thought the Sun Elf race was Morninglord only

You would need a +1 heart to remove the cleric class but if you can they make good pale masters.

Sokól
11-20-2013, 09:30 AM
I would drop the mental toughness, toughness and augment summons and get some spell pen and Enchantment focus.

For epic feats go with Necromancy and Great Intelligence.
Take the negative spellpower from the divine sphere.

Ruin, Epic Mage Armor and Hellball are all but useless.

I would go with Sun Elf.

Solid advice except for Ruin, it is a great spell, have not found anything immune to it. I like Hellball to but on a Shiradi...

Miow
11-20-2013, 09:38 AM
This isn't helpful

Well i can tell you that you probably don't need and can swap ruin, toughness, augment summoning(bleh), extend(not necessary), epic mage armor. Spell pen, greater spell pen might be useful....epic spell pen.

make sure you invest in umd as a wizzy no reason not to.

Miow
11-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Solid advice except for Ruin, it is a great spell, have not found anything immune to it. I like Hellball to but on a Shiradi...

It's a good spell but man is it ever expensive to cast.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Well i can tell you that you probably don't need and can swap ruin, toughness, augment summoning(bleh), extend(not necessary), epic mage armor. Spell pen, greater spell pen might be useful....epic spell pen.

make sure you invest in umd as a wizzy no reason not to.

What good is UMD to a pale master?

Theolin
11-20-2013, 09:56 AM
I have +9 spell pen from past lives, 1 feat & a +3 item +3 enhancement but only 17 levels(-3 from max) - drow & some other mobs on EE still make the spell pen check often enough that I want more, so I would suggest more spell pen.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 10:00 AM
How is spell penetration calculated?

Theolin
11-20-2013, 10:00 AM
because when you are almost the last one standing it is good to raise those that can raise others, or just so the healing can continue on others. It is often better if the cleric doesn't have to do the both raising and healing it is more likely to keep the rest of the party alive.
And sometimes(gasp) it is better to pop a heal scroll on someone than it is to cast a spell.

Miow
11-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Using race/alignment restricted items, casting scrolls(arti-divine...etc) some optionals in game you can use umd to complete them....

Satyriasys
11-20-2013, 10:06 AM

You can afford it on an int class so might as well take it for certain divine scrolls you may want to cast.

I personally never take concentration. I know some people use it for scrolls but I don't use scrolls while being beat on often enough to justify it.
I personally go with balance, spot, umd, spellcraft and heal. Anything else is inconsequential.

Theolin
11-20-2013, 10:08 AM
How is spell penetration calculated?

Spell Penetration = [d20 + Caster Level + feats + enhancements + Destiny + item + Past Lives] >= Spell Resistance

edit: forgot +eDestiny

bennyson
11-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Spell Penetration = [d20 + Caster Level + feats + enhancements + item + Past Lives] >= Spell Resistance

So that's how it works, I was wondering because on a different thread people were talking about having 50ish spell pen and I didn't understand.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Why drop Toughness? Wouldn't I be squishy?

Miow
11-20-2013, 10:37 AM

total of 30 hit points at level 28....

Satyriasys
11-20-2013, 10:39 AM

No. you said you wanted to build for epic elite. Throw everything you got into improving your spellcasting abilities or they won't land. The amount of hp toughness will give you at level 28 is insignificant. It's really not worth the feat anymore since we all get it for free now anyway.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 10:41 AM
No. you said you wanted to build for epic elite. Throw everything you got into improving your spellcasting abilities or they won't land. The amount of hp toughness will give you at level 28 is insignificant. It's really not worth the feat anymore since we all get it for free now anyway.

What?!?! A free Toughness feat?!

bennyson
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
total of 30 hit points at level 28....

only 30 extra HP at 28? That sucks.

Miow
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
only 30 extra HP at 28? That sucks.

Yup.

Satyriasys
11-20-2013, 10:49 AM
What?!?! A free Toughness feat?!

Improved Heroic Durability (http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Heroic_Durability)

not a big deal but makes Toughness all the more unimportant.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Why would I also drop the Mental Toughness feats too?

unbongwah
11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Why would I also drop the Mental Toughness feats too?
It's a question of priorities and running out of feats; +8 Spell Penetration is more important than +3% crit chance for a Pale Master. So swap MT feats for Spell Pen instead.

EllisDee37
11-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Drow and Sun Elf are 1-2 DC ahead of human but their racial abilities are inferior to human ad they get an extra feat/skill pt...id say their about equal.The sun elf tree is vastly superior to the human tree for wizards. Also, humans do not get more skill points than drow or sun elf because drow and sun elf start with +2 int compared to human.

Also drow is inferior to sun elf in every way if you don't mind using an LR+1 to ditch the cleric level.True, but drow are so much cheaper. It's the "poor man's" wizard race. heh.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Why would I drop the Augment Summoning feat? I like having two strong undead minions with me.

Satyriasys
11-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Why would I drop the Augment Summoning feat? I like having two strong undead minions with me.

Summons will die in one hit in EE even with augment summons and 3 druid past lives. Also I really hope you didn't waste enhancements on the skeleton..

unbongwah
11-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Mostly because summons are too weak to be useful in elites and don't scale in epic levels; even w/Aug Summons & buffs, they're basically mana sinks, not assets. :( But there's no harm in taking Aug Summons while leveling then swapping it out for something else later. If you still really want the feat in epics, farm up an eRoderic (http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Roderic%27s_Wand).

bennyson
11-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Well the Skeleton Knight scales in epic levels. Also as long as there's an item that grands the Augment Summoning feat I'll replace it with something else.

I do hope my current Metamagic feats are ok because I think Enlarge is useless and a waste of sp and a feat. Although without Aug Summons I suppose I could take it...

nibel
11-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Toughness used to be a obrigatory feat because it opened the Racial Toughness enhancement line. On top of the feat, it would add +20 to +80 HP on your character. Also, the level cap was smaller, and 40-100 HP was a big bunch of your HP pool.

Now, the feat is only the feat. And it gives you HP equal [your level] +2. Except if you want to qualify for Epic Toughness (+50 HP, requires Con 23 and Toughness), it is safe to skip it now.

nibel
11-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Well the Skeleton Knight scales in epic levels.

The skeleton is still useful on EN and EH. But if your goal is playing EE, drop it. EE mobs hit too hard for you to heal him with aura only because he mave a melee AI, and love to go toe-to-toe with any monster he see. He will be destroyed in 3-5 hits.

IMO, it is not that the skelly is bad. Is that EE mobs are excessivelly overpowered.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Okay I've gone through all the advice you guys gave me thus far and the unintentional racial argument of Sun Elf vs Drow vs Human and I've come up with this.

Main Stats: Con, Int

Primary School: Necromancy

Secondary School: Enchantment

Normal Character Feats:
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Penetration
Spell Focus: Necromancy
Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
Insightful Reflexes
Spell Focus: Enchantment
Arcane Initiate(Wizard past life)
Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment

Wizard Bonus Feats:
Empower
Maximize
Extend
Heighten
Quicken

Epic Feats:
Epic Spell Focus: Necromancy
Epic Spell Penetration
Ruin

Epic Destiny Feats:
Epic Mage Armor
Hellball

Main Epic Destiny: Magister (Necromancy DC focused)

Main Skills:
Concentration
Heal
Spellcraft
Use Magic Device

The reasons why I still have Ruin and Hellball is that I think I still need some form of damage that I can use against enemies who are unaffected by the instant kill Necromancy spells or the CC Enchantment spells. So have I got a EE build or is there still room for improvement?

Satyriasys
11-20-2013, 05:46 PM
The reasons why I still have Ruin and Hellball is that I think I still need some form of damage that I can use against enemies who are unaffected by the instant kill Necromancy spells or the CC Enchantment spells. So have I got a EE build or is there still room for improvement?

I would make slight changes but that is mostly personal tastes so what you have there is solid enough depending on where you spend your enhancements and destiny points.

EllisDee37
11-20-2013, 06:01 PM
The reasons why I still have Ruin and Hellball is that I think I still need some form of damage that I can use against enemies who are unaffected by the instant kill Necromancy spells or the CC Enchantment spells. So have I got a EE build or is there still room for improvement?Your core build is the "correct" template for a DC caster. Solid through and through.

I would change out epic necro focus and ruin and replace them both with great ability: int. For dps, energy burst (draconic twist) is much more mana efficient. It's an aoe effect that deals thousands of damage to everyone near you and only costs 20 spell points.

SirValentine
11-20-2013, 07:08 PM
I really hope you didn't waste enhancements on the skeleton..

Even not useful in EE fighting, I feel it's well worth the 2 AP for the first enhancement rank just to have him as a lever puller, etc..

Past that, though, yeah, not worth it.

bennyson
11-20-2013, 08:12 PM
I will miss the Skeleton Knight, if Turbine increased the power of class pets and made the Skeleton Knight the same as the Druid and Artificer class pets, as being able to give them gear and their own enhancements maybe it would be an interesting option for EE content.

bennyson
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
My character has two passive wizard past lives, which gives him +4 total extra spell pen.

My question is, should I drop Epic Spell Penetration and replace it with Great Intelligence since his wizard past lives are granting him a +4 to spell pen? Or should I keep the spell pen? because at level 28 my int score is uneven.

unbongwah
11-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I prefer to err on the side of caution and max out Spell Pen. When the level cap goes to 30, you'll be able to have Epic Spell Pen (21), Epic Necro Focus (24), and Great INT x2 (27 & 30).

bennyson
11-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I prefer DC and higher (even) Intelligence, I'll just spend some action points and destiny points into getting more spell pen.

Oh anyone got a +5 int tome on G-land that you don't need :D