PDA

View Full Version : Build ideas, help appreciated!

Ashidesu
11-14-2013, 07:31 AM
So, I been wanting to make a character utilizing shield bash and being more damage/off tank.
A lot from what I have seen is its hard to pull off unless youre a human or dwarf.

I was thinking maybe a fighter/wizard for the Eldritch Knight prestige and its shield bash enhancement.

I just don't know what to do class wise to make this work out with all the feats necessary. You need shield bash, improved shield bash, shield mastery, improved shield mastery, all the weapon focus bludgeoning and etc to boost the damage of shields. Either take bastard sword prof, kopesh, or be a dwarf for dwarven axes.

I mainly am searching for tips and insight into how to pull this off without completely gimping myself. I do mainly play with a group of 2-4 friends, if that information does help too.

Skills, enhancements, feats, cross class (do I go pure fighter, or what would I need to do to make sure my damage isn't gimped?), and whatever insight you kind folks can offer. I've looked at some builds, but things aren't clear enough for me.

I really like the idea of this character: having good ac, defense, and offense with a shield bash proc sounded awesome to me. In addition does the twf line work with it now, or is it still bugged?

Ashidesu
11-15-2013, 02:52 AM
shameful bump.

Maybe a bit more specifics.

I'd like to make him a Drow, but if Human/Half-elf/Dwarf are almost a necessity, I am willing to do this. Would Drow be able to pull it off? I know it would be easy to get TWF feats with Drow if it is necessary to go TWF until I have to Sword and Board.

I am thinking of Bastard Sword for the glancing blows dps and would like to use shields for AC/Shield bash for additional damage. I do know TWF is definitely better DPS overall, but I am curious if Shield bashing builds are viable.

Would TWF or THF be better for overall dps? Also reiterating, does twf work with shields now?

Would there be any plausible way to work Eldritch Knight in there, or would that just gimp my heavy line of feats I need? Any other ways to increase shield bashing? Paladins have a spell I read.

If you need more clarification, please let me know, id really like to build this character and play him with my friends.

unbongwah
11-15-2013, 07:51 AM
TWF feats don't affect S&B; this is WAI. Imp Shield Bash feat, Shield Striking enh, and the Shield Bashing property (http://ddowiki.com/page/Shield_Bashing) on shields should now be stacking, but I haven't tested it myself. Also the Blunt weapon feats don't affect shields. :(

I experimented with EKs on Lama and was underwhelmed by them. A lot of what's in the EK tree is either redundant with ftr trees (e.g., Shield Striking, Crit Dmg), unnecessary (e.g., you can get a lot of ASF reduction from gear, you don't need so much in the EK tree too), or kinda weaksauce, IMHO. Could be useful to a U20 update on Tukaw (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/181901-Tukaw-s-official-build-post), but otherwise I'm not impressed by EK.

Ashidesu
11-15-2013, 07:06 PM
TWF feats don't affect S&B; this is WAI. Imp Shield Bash feat, Shield Striking enh, and the Shield Bashing property (http://ddowiki.com/page/Shield_Bashing) on shields should now be stacking, but I haven't tested it myself. Also the Blunt weapon feats don't affect shields. :(

I experimented with EKs on Lama and was underwhelmed by them. A lot of what's in the EK tree is either redundant with ftr trees (e.g., Shield Striking, Crit Dmg), unnecessary (e.g., you can get a lot of ASF reduction from gear, you don't need so much in the EK tree too), or kinda weaksauce, IMHO. Could be useful to a U20 update on Tukaw (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/181901-Tukaw-s-official-build-post), but otherwise I'm not impressed by EK.

thanks ubongwah, you are always here and helpful!

With that in mind, I decided to just play around and after doing extra research go thf route and a drow.
At lvl 1
15 st
12 dex
15 con
14 int
8 wis
10 charisma

I took intimidate, balance, tumble, use magic device as skills

Feats:
Toughness and Bastard Sword Prof

Until I get the feeling of the enhancements for fighter, ill probably mix a bit of Kensai and Stalwart Defender.

I plan on going Shield feats, THF feats, Powerattack/greater cleave. Debating on whether I want Dragonmark of the Sentinel or some selected tactic feats.