PDA

View Full Version : Yay! A bard fix in U20!

AzB
11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
-Bard Warchanter:

-Fixed typo in tooltip for Words of Encouragement.

Hey, it's something! ;)

LucasMacKinnon
11-12-2013, 10:00 AM
ok so when they plan on fixing song of the dead and song of the makers. that's been broken since u19 first came out and not a single mention of it in any known issues. i know i have submitted several bug reports about it

Bolo_Grubb
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
call me when they fix song of capering.

ElrosOronar
11-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Same here with the songs, still waiting for a fix. Would be nice if it was at least mentioned as a known problem, but then again its just Bard.

Steelstar
11-12-2013, 10:56 AM
-Bard Warchanter:

-Fixed typo in tooltip for Words of Encouragement.

Hey, it's something! ;)

More (and certainly more substantial) Bard fixes are coming in the next few patches, including reducing the play time for Song of Capering.

As for Music of the Sewers/Dead/Makers, we just took a look and they seem to be working at this time. If you continue to have issues with those three abilities after today's patch, please let us know.

Thanks!

Chette
11-12-2013, 11:13 AM
More (and certainly more substantial) Bard fixes are coming in the next few patches, including reducing the play time for Song of Capering.

As for Music of the Sewers/Dead/Makers, we just took a look and they seem to be working at this time. If you continue to have issues with those three abilities after today's patch, please let us know.

Thanks!

Will you be fixing the duration of inspire recklessness? It is not being affected by increases to song duration. This has been a problem since enhancement change, but reported multiple times, but not in known issues as far as I've seen.

Also, will you be fixing the wand mastery pre-requisite for scroll mastery? FoS had mentioned those were going to be combined, but they never were. I brought this up again last patch, and he said they were still working on this.

enochiancub
11-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for this heads up. I'm not much of a complainer (I leave that to those here far more talented) but the Bard issues have really been cheesing me off. Glad to know you're paying attention to them. I miss my favorite class!!!

Propane
11-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks!

Anyone know if the bug of not getting the extra bard songs is fixed? (or on the list to get fixed?)

AzB
11-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the update and giving us some hope. ;)

Volarr
11-12-2013, 12:44 PM

Thanks!

You make Casters more powerful by now having their weapons cast spells??? Bards/fighters still do very little damage compared to them you want fighters to take the beating and hope to survive while casters brag about hitting the bosses for 5000 + damage. its a wonder we can hold agro at all.

My Bard has pretty much no offensive spells and the ones he has does little damage (Greater Shout is about it). His Epic Destiny tree even has a spell power bonus to spells he doesn't have in his spell tree (Echoes of the Ancestors (+9 spell power to acid, cold, electric and firespells)) I looked and looked and looked but BARDS don't have acid, cold, electric and firespells........sheesh you got to do better than this

LordDunmore
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I just checked.

My Lvl 7 Bard.

I "Reset all Enhancements"

I added 3 levels of Musical Studies under Spellsinger. No increase. I went into the bar to see if the bar would pop them, no luck. I played a song, the next pop put it back to 7.

I reset again, and went back to the trainer, and put 3 levels in Poetic Edda under Warchanter and YES! Now I have 10 songs.

So, we have a 'partial' fix.

Thanks for at least something, so now the bard is playable, even though I put points where I didn't want to :)

Anyone know if the bug of not getting the extra bard songs is fixed? (or on the list to get fixed?)

Saravis
11-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I reset again, and went back to the trainer, and put 3 levels in Poetic Edda under Warchanter and YES! Now I have 10 songs.

Poetic Edda has always worked as far as I've known.

Howl of the North needs looked at, the toggle stays on, but the buff goes away on relog, death, quest entry, and shrining. To get the buff back you need to deactive then reactivate the toggle. This is especially annoying on logins because it shares a cooldown with the Gathering Cold toggle. If you forget to activate Gathering Cold ahead of time, you need to wait for 30 seconds after activating Gathering Cold before you can activate Howl of the North.

ElrosOronar
11-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Thanks!

Well unless there is something you need to do to get it to work the songs are still broken.

(Combat): you hit Error! Name_Property missing with Mesmerize Undead.
(Combat): you hit Error! Name_Property missing with Mesmerize Ooze.
(Combat): you hit Error! Name_Property missing with Mesmerize Constructs.

It's pretty easy to test in the Orchard just jump off and grab a fleshgolem and zombie together and Facinate doesn't stop them.

AzB
11-12-2013, 02:49 PM
You make Casters more powerful by now having their weapons cast spells??? Bards/fighters still do very little damage compared to them you want fighters to take the beating and hope to survive while casters brag about hitting the bosses for 5000 + damage. its a wonder we can hold agro at all.

My Bard has pretty much no offensive spells and the ones he has does little damage (Greater Shout is about it). His Epic Destiny tree even has a spell power bonus to spells he doesn't have in his spell tree (Echoes of the Ancestors (+9 spell power to acid, cold, electric and firespells)) I looked and looked and looked but BARDS don't have acid, cold, electric and firespells........sheesh you got to do better than this

Baby steps.

voodoogroves
11-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I just checked.

My Lvl 7 Bard.

I added 3 levels of Musical Studies under Spellsinger. No increase. I went into the bar to see if the bar would pop them, no luck. I played a song, the next pop put it back to 7.

Thanks for at least something, so now the bard is playable, even though I put points where I didn't want to :)

Partial - this certainly didn't work for me.

1 level of bard, one PL bard. Skaldic Rage shows 2 uses (also Inspire Courage). Put points into musical studies, regardless of the hijinks I do raging, singing, etc. I still max at 2 (and should be 5).

Systern
11-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Flicker: With the stealth changes, mobs adjacent to you still detect you while invisible. The guard lasts 6 seconds. If a mob is close enough to hit you and make you turn invisible, it still sees you. So this enhancement does not enhance game play at all. It is literally, without hyperbole, pragmatically useless. It is also nonsensical. Blur is 20% concealment. Displacement is 50% concealment. But this invisibility guard confers no defensive benefits.

Drawbacks: Bards have limited weapon selection, lower spell selection, lower max caster level, lower hitdice, 3/4 bab, Multiple Attribute Dependent, the only arcane class to not be autogranted echoes of power, ASF penalties. Do their enhancements really need drawbacks to them too? If every bard enhancement is "Two steps forward, one step back", while every other class's enhancement are "two long strides forward", bards just get further left in the dust. Might we please get a philosophy change? If you insist that Bards are by far too OP to not have these drawbacks, can you change the structure of enhancements so 1 point is full benefit and full draw back, and successive points diminish the drawbacks. i.e. Change Inspire Recklessness from [2/4/6]% doublestrike, -10% fort to 6% Doublestrike, [-10/-5/-0]% fort.

It's rather amusing that Glin mentioned in the DDO Cast a couple of weeks back that there won't be an Iconic Bard because they suck so bad.

My Warchanter TR'd and is level 9, and I can't find enough enhancements in the tree that I want to spend points on to meet the prerequisites to take the tier 5s.
Guess she'll be parked for a long while.

Bolo_Grubb
11-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. The previous way Song of Capering worked was one of the few things that made a Bard very useful in EE content. With the current length of time it take to play, I TR'd one of my Bards into an Arti. I still have another level capped bard hoping to be useful once again.

Chai
11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Flicker: With the stealth changes, mobs adjacent to you still detect you while invisible. The guard lasts 6 seconds. If a mob is close enough to hit you and make you turn invisible, it still sees you. So this enhancement does not enhance game play at all. It is literally, without hyperbole, pragmatically useless. It is also nonsensical. Blur is 20% concealment. Displacement is 50% concealment. But this invisibility guard confers no defensive benefits.

Those stealth changes that allow a fighter (spot and listen as a non class skill) type mob to see a stealthed 90+ hide and move silently rogue are one of the worst "improvements" they have come up with.

AzB
11-12-2013, 06:00 PM
If you insist that Bards are by far too OP to not have these drawbacks,

Clearly, bards are available for the most ├╝ber players to give them a challenge. If the devs were to remove the drawbacks and give bards some real video game abilities, it would take away the challenge.

If you want easy, play a monk. They can heal, run faster than anything else, rez people, insta kill, evasion, cc, and even cast slas now. They are clearly the easy button. Look at how many ridiculous builds there are out there that are saved by splashing monk levels. And you wonder why you can't splash monk on a bard?

It's rather amusing that Glin mentioned in the DDO Cast a couple of weeks back that there won't be an Iconic Bard because they suck so bad.

I honestly think that the devs are completely baffled about what to do about bards.

It's very simple; this is not DnD. It's a video game. Monks are a perfect class for a video game, (and if you've ever played one in PnP they have some serious drawbacks) and bards have almost no function in a video game...

You need to rethink bard. An iconic would be a perfect chance to redefine what a bard is. To leave behind the idea of a guitar toting hippy sidekick and make something with some teeth.

kryscendo
11-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I just checked.

My Lvl 7 Bard.

The extra songs in the Warchanter tree worked before. The extra songs in the Spellsinger tree did not ... and sounds like it still doesn't :(

karl_k0ch
11-13-2013, 02:29 AM
Yesterday, after not playing my bard for some time, I noticed that the Song of Heroism is a single-target ability, and does not affect the whole group as one anymore. Is this new with U20?

Steevye
11-13-2013, 02:55 AM
Yesterday, after not playing my bard for some time, I noticed that the Song of Heroism is a single-target spell, and does not affect the whole group as one anymore. Is this new with U20?

Nope, it was effed from u19, like everything else wrong with bards atm.

And no, I don't think fascinate works against undead and constructs, because...well, it just doesn't. Keep getting immune over the mobs' heads, that's not working. I have no idea why a dev said otherwise.

So song enhancements still bugged, fascinate isn't worth being a core SS ability for the same reason, etc. I only happen to have 2 lower WC's, so I'll be seeing what doesn't work with that PRE too.

Not one mention in known issues, but you can be sure the second something plays into this class' favor, it'll be fixed with its own patch overnight. I think they're largely ignoring us now, as if they're just going to toss this class out of the game. Why not, it's not like they're doing anything worthwhile for the 200 of us who are still bard faithfuls...

Silken-Akira
11-13-2013, 05:16 AM

Thanks!

Still waiting with my main toon to TR (Heroic) till this is indeed fixed.
And as you can read from others it still isn't fixed, so please take a closer look.

Steelstar
11-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Yesterday, after not playing my bard for some time, I noticed that the Song of Heroism is a single-target spell, and does not affect the whole group as one anymore. Is this new with U20?

This bug is fixed internally, and should appear in an upcoming patch.

When you have Music of the Sewers/Dead/Makers, it adds additional effects to your Fascinate ability that specifically work on those kinds of monsters. Those monsters are still immune to the base Fascinate effect, so you'll likely still see Immune pop up over their heads, even when the additional Mesmerize Ooze/Undead/Construct effect procs. As of Update 20, these abilities do seem to be working. If you are still experiencing issues after yesterday's patch, please file a bug report and include the specific monsters you were using the ability on if possible.

Thanks!

Silken-Akira
11-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Steelstar, can you also spill some light on the possible fixes on other bard related bugs (like musical studies for example) do they also have a bright future to be resolved in the next update?

brian14
11-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Last night I had my Bard 9 play Fascinate to puddings in Red Fens. They stopped moving. I don't think there were any notes waving over the puddings, but they did stop moving and attacking.

katz
11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
about 2-3 weeks ago, when i was in the home stretch for gaining 375 PDK favor... i ran EE House of Death Undone. upon triggering the end fight... i attempted to fascinate to thin things down a bit... result: all the drow stopped cold. all the zombies didn't even miss a step... even with multiple attempts... not a single zombie stopped.

when i get in again, i can test again (bad connection, so it's taking me a real long time to do the download) but yeah.

perhaps the internal DC numbers need checking and tweaking... where it works ok at the lower levels, but the higher the quest is, the more out of whack the DC needs to be for "random-mob-fascinate-doesn't-normally-work-on" to get fascinated

CaptainSpacePony
11-13-2013, 09:18 AM

When you have Music of the Sewers/Dead/Makers, it adds additional effects to your Fascinate ....

Thanks!

Any reason those additional effects cannot be applied to enthrall? Or better yet, make enthrall an additional effect on fascinate.

afroblue
11-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I would like to see "inflame" from the warpriest tree fixed too, I love to use it on my bard (I took two divine levels for that purpose) but it stops working after you shrine.

Will that bug be fixed soon?

ElrosOronar
11-13-2013, 02:46 PM

When you have Music of the Sewers/Dead/Makers, it adds additional effects to your Fascinate ability that specifically work on those kinds of monsters. Those monsters are still immune to the base Fascinate effect, so you'll likely still see Immune pop up over their heads, even when the additional Mesmerize Ooze/Undead/Construct effect procs. As of Update 20, these abilities do seem to be working. If you are still experiencing issues after yesterday's patch, please file a bug report and include the specific monsters you were using the ability on if possible.

Thanks!

Submitted a bug report and it's the same as the previous ones I have sent.
Still get the same error msg about "name property error" and then the fascinate effect immune comes up like it should, then everything saves vs 102+d20 fascinate. I have tried it vs giant skeles in the subterrane, fleshgolems and zombies in the orchard. Nothing has been stopped by 100+ fascinate.

EDIT:

Just went into Durks and it stopped the CR:6 lesser grey oozes. For 30 secs.....

So somewhere between Harbor and Orchard DC100+ stops working.

LrdSlvrhnd
11-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Any reason those additional effects cannot be applied to enthrall? Or better yet, make enthrall an additional effect on fascinate.

Yes, this, please.

Pre-MotU, my virt loved Enthrallment. Post-MotU, with the Fatesinger effects that add to Fascinate, Enthrallment became useless. Post-enhancement pass? I don't know why I even put it on the hotbar anymore. (Well, she used it to good effect in Madstone with that third crystal fight with all the ogre mages that appear up top, but that's it). Honestly, I only took Enthrallment to get to Sustaining Song.

A T4 ability should NOT be a worse option than something you get at L1! Please add its effects to Fascinate, rather than keeping it as a separate song that, because of all the stuff that's added to Fascinate and not Enthrallment, is generally sub-par. (I prefer adding to Fascinate rather than having everything added to *it* because 1) That's one less thing on the hotbar, and 2) the suggestion song won't work with it, and I suspect that would be true even if everything else was tweaked to add to it)

Darkvx
11-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Thanks!

As of update 20 as in it was fixed?

I know in several quests I've run into issues not just the immune issues. My lvl 23 bard 93-95+ d20 perform in Orchard of the Macabre and Flesh Maker's Laboratory both constructs and undead make the save. Other times they show immune and there are no saves. I haven't tried sense update 20 but i will test tonight.

AzB
11-13-2013, 09:19 PM
I think they're largely ignoring us now, as if they're just going to toss this class out of the game. Why not, it's not like they're doing anything worthwhile for the 200 of us who are still bard faithfuls...

I think it's more a case of they don't know what to do with it. And kinda just ignore it hoping we'll all just go away and play a monk or monk splash/fotm like everyone else. I think they're out of ideas.

Maybe we should all start spamming the suggestion forum with some good ideas about bards. And I don't mean just fixing the broken stuff, because although it's a good start, it's really still way off from the mark.

cru121
11-14-2013, 06:29 AM
If you ever get to fixing bard... look at The Frozen Fury. Reflex save 10/12/14 plus your Charisma modifier is a joke that cannot work.

Solutions:
1) Make it a Cleave attack. Keep the DC as it is, in 5% of cases (enemy rolls a 1), this will proc.

2) Make the DC feasible.
* make is STR or CHA
* flag it as Tactical Feat (stunning) to allow past lives, ED abilities, Stunning items, Combat Mastery items to increase the DC
* Consider adding half bard or half character level
(this would make it stronger than stunning fist so find a fair compromise)

Steevye
11-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I think it's more a case of they don't know what to do with it. And kinda just ignore it hoping we'll all just go away and play a monk or monk splash/fotm like everyone else. I think they're out of ideas.

Maybe we should all start spamming the suggestion forum with some good ideas about bards. And I don't mean just fixing the broken stuff, because although it's a good start, it's really still way off from the mark.

Yeah I'm game to try it, but I'm also willing to bet it won't work.

Even if the fascinate extensions work for 30 seconds, this cannot possibly be WAI. My standard fascinate lasts for 3 minutes, a 30 seconds length is worthless any way you toss it.

And whatever happened to Wall of Sound? In comparison to Wail, that sounded really cool and useful.

LucasMacKinnon
11-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Really So fascinate for undead and constructs is only supposed to last for 30 seconds? Pre enhancement update those songs lasted for the same duration of fascinate. Now with a perform or over 100 it takes at least 4 songs to fascinate an undead creature in the orchard which is heroic. You are trying to tell me that undead creatures have a will save in the 90's to 100's?????!!!! I highly doubt that. Secondly it does not work since i tried to fascinate wraiths in fall of the truth and still doesn't work. So please who ever told you that it's working as intended lied to you. It would be nice to dust off the cob webs of my bard whom i built for epic elite crowd control and actually use him again. I know personally i have sent in at least 4 or 5 bug reports and the last one with screenshots.

Inoukchuk
11-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Really So fascinate for undead and constructs is only supposed to last for 30 seconds? Pre enhancement update those songs lasted for the same duration of fascinate. Now with a perform or over 100 it takes at least 4 songs to fascinate an undead creature in the orchard which is heroic. You are trying to tell me that undead creatures have a will save in the 90's to 100's?????!!!! I highly doubt that. Secondly it does not work since i tried to fascinate wraiths in fall of the truth and still doesn't work. So please who ever told you that it's working as intended lied to you. It would be nice to dust off the cob webs of my bard whom i built for epic elite crowd control and actually use him again. I know personally i have sent in at least 4 or 5 bug reports and the last one with screenshots.

This needs fixed. They also need to gut the whole bard system and replace it with something less clumsy. Having to cast bard songs for 4 minutes to get everything up is ridiculous both for the bard and for the group. I personally think there should only be 2 songs: fascinate and inspire. Inspire should get all buffs added to it, fascinate should get all debuffs added to it.

And the buffs need to be better and more reflective of the new combat mechanics and end game. I'd like to see something like:
1) inspire adds a bonus to universal spell power = to # of pts spent in tree (SS)
2) inspire adds a bonus to PRR = to # of pts spent in tree (WC, replace iron skin chant)
3) inspire adds 2/4/6 double strike and double shot chance (WC, no penalty like the lame inspire recklessness)
4) inspire adds 2/4/6 to saving throws (SS)
5) inspire adds 1/2/3 to spell DCs (SS)
6) inspire adds 2/4/6 seeker (WC)
7) inspire adds +1 crit range (WC capstone)

The fluff they added to bards in the pass is just silly and lame. Gathering cold? What does that have anything to do with bards? Frost breath? Really? I'm not saying they necessarily need to add ALL of the above, you'd have to balance it in, remove other stuff, add them as carrots at tier 5 and capstone, etc... but if you did people would want bards around and would want to play a bard, maybe even pure class.

A_Sheep2
11-17-2013, 09:53 PM
And the buffs need to be better and more reflective of the new combat mechanics and end game. I'd like to see something like:
1) inspire adds a bonus to universal spell power = to # of pts spent in tree (SS)
2) inspire adds a bonus to PRR = to # of pts spent in tree (WC, replace iron skin chant)
3) inspire adds 2/4/6 double strike and double shot chance (WC, no penalty like the lame inspire recklessness)
4) inspire adds 2/4/6 to saving throws (SS)
5) inspire adds 1/2/3 to spell DCs (SS)
6) inspire adds 2/4/6 seeker (WC)
7) inspire adds +1 crit range (WC capstone)

Good thinking. I like where you are going, to make the buffs really worthwhile and worth having 1/6th or more of your party be sub-par at the other things he does in order to provide this kind of buff-age.

I like changing ironskin chant to +PRR instead of the non-stacking DR. Inspire recklessness wouldn't be quite as terrible if the debuff didn't hit casters/healers who aren't getting any benefit and if the song was affected by duration increases.

I think the +1 crit range is great, I was initially worried about it being overpowered, but to really make the sacrifices of staying pure worth it, I think it could be the way to go. My other thought is add a bonus damage % of some sort.

However, all that said, back when the level cap was 14, we could buff inspire courage up to +8 damage. Now, with the cap being 20 and the new enhancement system, it's +7 (not counting fatesinger, which I think fatesinger is actually balanced kind of ok). We definitely lost out on the enhancement pass. And damage from every other source has increased a lot. The problem with increasing the crit range, which would be awesome of course, is that it won't affect undead and will be mitigated by fortification in end-game stuff (although a lot more folks are thinking about precision and other fort-reducing abilities). Just Adding 2 or 3 more damage straight up would make a big difference (multiplied by a couple melees in the party or even a bunch in a raid). Maybe make the +1W from boast last past when the temp hitpoints are gone.

voodoogroves
11-17-2013, 10:09 PM
While I love the idea of combining songs, I'm ok with there being more than two ;-)

I'm a fan of immediate song-expenditures for short-term effects. Capering. Competence. Heck, Heroics. A very short term burst DPS option (which is what I think they intended to do w/ the Capstone, only totally missed). The fear-breaking one. In fact, we probably could use a few of them, including one more DPS song (replacing the crappy freeze-with-suck-DC ability).

There should be a song-based spell or spell-like DPS effect. Like spend a song to add X to your sonic SP for a brief period (or just spend a song to do some sonic damage).

There should be a +CL and +MaxCL option for sonic-based songs baked into the SS tree.