PDA

View Full Version : Wanna make a good melee CC monk, any built ideas?

Xeno5k
11-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I've already got a 34 point built wizard I wanna use my +20 LR Heart on and I was thinking I LR him into a monk. I have a few requirements for this monk:

1. He has to be able to self heal, and I mean to the point to which he doesn't ever need a healer present.
2. He has to have tons of dodge and other attack prevention abilities, I want this guy to be nearly untouchable in GH EEs.
3. He has to be able to CC (stuns and knockdowns) in GH EEs.
4. He has to be human, since my wizard is human.
5. He can't have paladin levels, since my wizard is lawful neutral.

Feithlin
11-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Monk 17/Fighter 2/Cleric 1 is very potent. Fighter DC enh. compensates the loss of 3 levels for kukan-do, cleric gives access to empower healing, divine might and 75% scroll mastery.

inspiredunease
11-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Monk 17/Fighter 2/Cleric 1 is very potent. Fighter DC enh. compensates the loss of 3 levels for kukan-do, cleric gives access to empower healing, divine might and 75% scroll mastery.

Monk 17 gives you precisely... f*** all (EDIT: actually the extra reflex is not to be sneezed at, but, other than that). You might as well go 2 cleric to grab another spell slot and a bit more sp. I prefer druid though. Ram's might is one of the best possible melee splash spells, and your ap are too tight to waste in cleric trees. Once you have empower healing, cocoon is all you'll ever really need, as far as I'm concerned scrolls take you out of the action too much for EE. If you're desperate, you'll still be able to scroll heal, and having to pop two scrolls is really no worse than popping one when you've got to back out of melee range for a while.

thouston
11-07-2013, 09:11 AM

do you have a link of this build, i need a guide to keep myself from screwing something up

Feithlin
11-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Monk 17 gives you precisely... f*** all (EDIT: actually the extra reflex is not to be sneezed at, but, other than that). You might as well go 2 cleric to grab another spell slot and a bit more sp. I prefer druid though. Ram's might is one of the best possible melee splash spells, and your ap are too tight to waste in cleric trees. Once you have empower healing, cocoon is all you'll ever really need, as far as I'm concerned scrolls take you out of the action too much for EE. If you're desperate, you'll still be able to scroll heal, and having to pop two scrolls is really no worse than popping one when you've got to back out of melee range for a while.

Monk 17 gives +1 dc to kukan-do compared to monk 16, which is better than a few sp imo.

inspiredunease
11-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Monk 17 gives +1 dc to kukan-do compared to monk 16, which is better than a few sp imo.

A marginal benefit for a marginal benefit. Fair enough. I have been questioning myself recently having an extra level of druid, but more for the reflex save than this. Not going to be relevant when I ITR into bladeforged anyway :D

Feithlin
11-07-2013, 01:10 PM
do you have a link of this build, i need a guide to keep myself from screwing something up

Mine is a dwarf and I have put points into Str to get Overwhelming Critical.
If you want to focus mainly on CC, your points should go into Wis, for Stunning fist and Quivering palm. If you plan to use kukan-do (shintao tier 5), it's important to not dump charisma.
I won't have time to post a complete build atm, but I can do in a few days, when I'll be back from trip.

Your wisdom would look like:
Wis 16 + 4 tome + 7 level + 10 item + 3 iWis item + 1 exc. + 3 enh. (or more) + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 48 (50)
It may be more if you include more wisdom from enhancements and use water stance instead of earth.
Cha 14 + 4 tome + 10 item + 2 iCha sloted + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 34 (36)

You DCs would be (with +20 wis mod. and +12 cha mod.):
Stunning fist: 73 = 10 + 14 half levels + 20 wis + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
Quivering palm: 67 = 10 + 8 half monk levels + 20 wis + 10 shattering + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
Kukan-do: 68 = 10 + 17 monk levels + 12 cha + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat

thouston
11-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Mine is a dwarf and I have put points into Str to get Overwhelming Critical.
If you want to focus mainly on CC, your points should go into Wis, for Stunning fist and Quivering palm. If you plan to use kukan-do (shintao tier 5), it's important to not dump charisma.
I won't have time to post a complete build atm, but I can do in a few days, when I'll be back from trip.

Your wisdom would look like:
Wis 16 + 4 tome + 7 level + 10 item + 3 iWis item + 1 exc. + 3 enh. (or more) + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 48 (50)
It may be more if you include more wisdom from enhancements and use water stance instead of earth.
Cha 14 + 4 tome + 10 item + 2 iCha sloted + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 34 (36)

You DCs would be (with +20 wis mod. and +12 cha mod.):
Stunning fist: 73 = 10 + 14 half levels + 20 wis + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
Quivering palm: 67 = 10 + 8 half monk levels + 20 wis + 10 shattering + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
Kukan-do: 68 = 10 + 17 monk levels + 12 cha + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat

thank you very much,

maddmatt70
11-10-2013, 10:10 AM

16 monk 2 fvs 2 fighter is better. FVS is better because it gives +3 to reflex saves vs. cleric. The 2nd level of FVS is better then 17 monk because you get Wall of Steel (+10 physical resistance rating) which is better then one dc of kukan-do which lands with ease anyway.

Edit: I have been trying to figure out a build concept that has mid 70+ quivering palm dc. Maximum ki regen/does not use much ki other then for quivering palms (everthing is nothing probably only real exception). I was playing around with some different ideas, but was curious what others thought for a build.

xTethx
11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
16 monk 2 fvs 2 fighter is better. FVS is better because it gives +3 to reflex saves vs. cleric. The 2nd level of FVS is better then 17 monk because you get Wall of Steel (+10 physical resistance rating) which is better then one dc of kukan-do which lands with ease anyway.

Edit: I have been trying to figure out a build concept that has mid 70+ quivering palm dc. Maximum ki regen/does not use much ki other then for quivering palms (everthing is nothing probably only real exception). I was playing around with some different ideas, but was curious what others thought for a build.

Wis based. 15 monk 3 druid 2 fighter. Go fire stance and spam quiver palm, stun fist, etc. With fatal harrier and 3 ki per hit, you can go to your hearts content in spamming. This is the build I will go for.

maddmatt70
11-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Wis based. 15 monk 3 druid 2 fighter. Go fire stance and spam quiver palm, stun fist, etc. With fatal harrier and 3 ki per hit, you can go to your hearts content in spamming. This is the build I will go for.

Hmm that would be only 18 ki every six seconds for palm (6 second cooldown) not counting other ki regen sources. I suppose there will be downtime between battles for more ki and there will be an initial surplus of ki at the start. I have not played a ton of monk builds, but was wondering about if you can spam palm and stun fist over and over or would you run out and not be able to do quivering palms until you get ki back sort of thing. I almost thought about a two weapon fighting build because then you would not be using the 15 ki for stun fist and you get vorpal and other stuff with two weapon fighting. Not really sure though.

xTethx
11-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Hmm that would be only 18 ki every six seconds for palm (6 second cooldown) not counting other ki regen sources. I suppose there will be downtime between battles for more ki and there will be an initial surplus of ki at the start. I have not played a ton of monk builds, but was wondering about if you can spam palm and stun fist over and over or would you run out and not be able to do quivering palms until you get ki back sort of thing. I almost thought about a two weapon fighting build because then you would not be using the 15 ki for stun fist and you get vorpal and other stuff with two weapon fighting. Not really sure though.

I agree it will be tough, but with crits and doublestrike I think the build could keep up sufficient ki, but I'll have to experiment with it.