PDA

View Full Version : New player, few questions

sayan
11-06-2013, 01:03 PM
This is a repost from general (realized that probably wasn't the best place to put this.

Hi,

I've been playing DDO now for just over week. Right now I am a level 12 rogue spec'd into the acrobat enhancement line. First I went with assassinate but after a few hours I swapped to acrobat and prefer it. Right now I have a 15% passive boost to attack speed (with staff) with one of the enhancements and another one that requires an action boost for +30% speed (20 second duration).

I want more attack speed, run speed, and critical threat range (I have improved critical bludgeoning atm). Are there any splashes (multiclassing right?) that would anyone can suggest to complement at least some of the wants I have? Also, can I mix and max the enhancement trees for rogue? ex, can I get the 30% action damage boost in addition to the 30% attack speed I already have? (and would they share a cd?).. can I get the +2 dex from the assassin line and then get the +2 dex offered in the mechanic and acrobat lines for a total of +6? Right now my STR is holding me back from taking cleave because I don't have the STR for its prerequisite power attack. I have opportunist, two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting, precision, and improved critical bludgeoning. I know I should change the two weapon fightings but because my str is currently not high enough I don't know if there is anything else I should swap it to.

Excuse me if some of the questions are noob.. I spend a lot of time reading the wiki and other forum posts trying to learn.

ReaperAlexEU
11-06-2013, 02:54 PM
This is a repost from general (realized that probably wasn't the best place to put this.

Hi,

I've been playing DDO now for just over week. Right now I am a level 12 rogue spec'd into the acrobat enhancement line. First I went with assassinate but after a few hours I swapped to acrobat and prefer it. Right now I have a 15% passive boost to attack speed (with staff) with one of the enhancements and another one that requires an action boost for +30% speed (20 second duration).

I want more attack speed, run speed, and critical threat range (I have improved critical bludgeoning atm). Are there any splashes (multiclassing right?) that would anyone can suggest to complement at least some of the wants I have? Also, can I mix and max the enhancement trees for rogue? ex, can I get the 30% action damage boost in addition to the 30% attack speed I already have? (and would they share a cd?).. can I get the +2 dex from the assassin line and then get the +2 dex offered in the mechanic and acrobat lines for a total of +6? Right now my STR is holding me back from taking cleave because I don't have the STR for its prerequisite power attack. I have opportunist, two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting, precision, and improved critical bludgeoning. I know I should change the two weapon fightings but because my str is currently not high enough I don't know if there is anything else I should swap it to.

Excuse me if some of the questions are noob.. I spend a lot of time reading the wiki and other forum posts trying to learn.

easy one first, run speed generally comes from items. look for an old style striding item, or better a new style speed item (same run speed, but attack speed too!). yes you can multi-class to boost this, but that tends to give about 10% while the items give 30% (ok, might not be true 30%, i think the tested number is a bit off from the display number)

next update you will get a free lesser reincarnation token (you might already have one now, i'm not 100% sure on that). you could use that to follow an acrobat build off the forum. note that you will have to have the same class split (and ideally the same class progression, ie the order you took them in) so best to find one now and try to follow it as best you can.

the dex from assassin, mechanic and acrobat will all stack. those action boosts wont though as they stick each other on cooldown. you can however mix a racial action boost with a class action boost, eg human damage boost and acrobat haste boost.

i think hunting for a build you like would be a great help right now, sounds like you need to reincarnate to go from assassin to acrobat anyway due to feats and stats, so you might as well do that with a solid build that has been planned out by a vet. it will help you learn the system with a character you can be confident of being viable at end game (note there are different types of end game, so that is down to you. epic elite is the hardest type of end game but not every player aims for that. epic elite builds will probably rely on high level tomes to work so might be quite off putting to a newbie busy building up their resources)

unbongwah
11-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Run speed: Acrobats used to get +10% run speed at rog lvl 12, but for some reason Turbine got rid of it in the U19 overhaul (along w/Showtime). So apart from enhancement bonuses (e.g., Striding item), the only way to boost your base speed is MCing: barbs get +10% run speed @ lvl 1 and can take Sprint Boost @ lvl 2; monks get +5% run speed every 3 lvls starting at lvl 3.

Atk speed: enhancement bonuses such as monk Wind stance, Haste, or Speed item (http://ddowiki.com/page/Speed) will boost this. Note that enhancement bonuses don't stack, only the highest applies, so don't bother investing in multiple bonuses. Also invest in doublestrike (http://ddowiki.com/page/Doublestrike) bonuses; you should definitely take Opportunist as one of your rog bonus feats if you haven't already.

Crits: as a lvl 12 Acrobat you should definitely have Staff Specialization, which is +1 to crit range & multiplier. You're only allowed to take one set of tier-5 PrE enhancements; so AFAIK there's nothing else you can add to boost crit range. But if you have enough APs, you can pick up, e.g., Crit Dmg + Killer from Assassin tree for the +crits and +doublestrike bonuses. EDIT: if you multiclass with monk, you can use Master/GM Earth stance for +1 crit multiplier on 19-20 (thanks, Inoukchuk).

I haven't updated it yet for U19, but see my Three Ring Circus thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/399244-Three-Ring-Circus-Staff-wielding-Acrobat-II-Builds) for some Acrobat builds.

Also, you may already have a free LR you can use, which would let you redo your stats etc. so you can add, e.g., Power Atk/Cleave/GC. Talk to Kruz in House Jorasco and see if he offers you the option of doing a free reincarnation. [If you have any tomes you want to add, be sure to use them before LRing.]

Inoukchuk
11-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Run speed: Acrobats used to get +10% run speed at rog lvl 12, but for some reason Turbine got rid of it in the U19 overhaul (along w/Showtime). So apart from enhancement bonuses (e.g., Striding item), the only way to boost your base speed is MCing: barbs get +10% run speed @ lvl 1 and can take Sprint Boost @ lvl 2; monks get +5% run speed every 3 lvls starting at lvl 3.

Atk speed: enhancement bonuses such as monk Wind stance, Haste, or Speed item (http://ddowiki.com/page/Speed) will boost this. Note that enhancement bonuses don't stack, only the highest applies, so don't bother investing in multiple bonuses. Also invest in doublestrike (http://ddowiki.com/page/Doublestrike) bonuses; you should definitely take Opportunist as one of your rog bonus feats if you haven't already.

Crits: as a lvl 12 Acrobat you should definitely have Staff Specialization, which is +1 to crit range & multiplier. You're only allowed to take one set of tier-5 PrE enhancements; so AFAIK there's nothing else you can add to boost crit range. But if you have enough APs, you can pick up, e.g., Crit Dmg + Killer from Assassin tree for the +crits and +doublestrike bonuses.

I haven't updated it yet for U19, but see my Three Ring Circus thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/399244-Three-Ring-Circus-Staff-wielding-Acrobat-II-Builds) for some Acrobat builds.

Also, you may already have a free LR you can use, which would let you redo your stats etc. so you can add, e.g., Power Atk/Cleave/GC. Talk to Kruz in House Jorasco and see if he offers you the option of doing a free reincarnation. [If you have any tomes you want to add, be sure to use them before LRing.]

Monk splash (preferably 6 levels) will give you stacking staff bonuses, increased movement, dodge, AC, and access to shadow veil for good damage mitigation. It also gives monk stances for either (air) increased attack speed or (earth) +1 crit multiplier on 19-20 and extra PRR and CON. This synergy is tough to pass up.

Druid splash (1 or 2 levels) will give you shillelagh and ram's might as spells for +2 stacking damage and +1[W] damage, and give you access to empower healing for later use with rejuvenation cocoon. 2nd level gives you access to beguile, which I haven't played with but I hear is broken good.

Fighter splash gives you access to cheaper haste boost and more stacking attack/damage enhancements as well as free bonus feats.

My prefered split for a dex build is 13/6/1 (rogue/monk/druid or fighter). While leveling druid is better, but once you have and use sireth (http://ddowiki.com/page/Sireth), fighter is arguably the better split.

unbongwah
11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
It also gives monk stances for either (air) increased attack speed or (earth) +1 crit multiplier on 19-20 and extra PRR and CON.
Good point and I added a mention to my post. Although the drawback to Earth stance is the extra threat, which you don't want on a sneak-atk-based build.