PDA

View Full Version : Monkcher: Light or Dark

RumbIe
11-06-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm a bit unsure of what woudl be better for a Monkcher, focused mostly/solely on ranged. On my melee dark I like the negative level AOE finisher and that favors dark to me on a melee, but for a ranged that would never be available to proc right?

I've also never played a light monk so not sure what you'd get or how with ranged.

Any guidance here woudl be appreciated.

Thank you

TeacherSyn
11-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm a bit unsure of what woudl be better for a Monkcher, focused mostly/solely on ranged. On my melee dark I like the negative level AOE finisher and that favors dark to me on a melee, but for a ranged that would never be available to proc right?

I've also never played a light monk so not sure what you'd get or how with ranged.

Any guidance here woudl be appreciated.

Thank you

A Monk's attacks are primarily melee-oriented. While many have made very successful Monk archers and throwers, here's some stuff to keep in mind as you get other's thoughts.

Philosophy is less important on a ranged Monk, since very few ki-based attacks can be activated or used with ranged attacks. Going Dark opens up Ninja stealth and sneak attack skills and Dodge improvements. Going Light allows some innate healing amp but many attacks/effects there aren't compatible with ranged work.
You'll need to keep a melee option as a backup. Dark Monks weaponize ki more so than Shintao when your bow is not usable.
You can mix up some Ranger levels with a Monk for a potent Arcane Archer. You can take a non-Drow elven race and add the AA tree without Ranger levels, but some might argue the loss of granted Ranger feats and some spells.
In any bow-wielding Monk, you'll need Zen Archery to make the bow a ki weapon. This doesn't give you proficiency, so going Elf is a common way to gain this, if not with Ranger levels.
Vampirism effects do not work with ranged attacks.
The amount of AP required for Arcane Archer class trees may take away from unarmed enhancements as a Dark or Light Monk. You don't want to spread AP too thinly or you'll be a jack of all trades but a master at none.
The Deepwood Sniper is also a useful tree and may allow greater use of melee options with a useable ranged option.

RumbIe
11-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Thank you. I actually was hoping for, but not expecting, as detailed a response so I didn't give much qualifying information. So I'll fill in some more details and hopefully get some more advice.

I have TR'd (Though only level 2 atm) to what I am calling simply a monkcheric. I created a build for it on the planner and posted it under custom builds. Maybe about 2 pages back now. Didn't get a ton of response.

In short it is a Human 12 Monk/6 Ranger/ 2 Cleric 34 point build. The only difference from the one I posted and my newer verison is I got a +5 STR tome so now a couple extra level ups can go into Wisdom.

I went human for the extra feat and the cheap 2 tiers of healing amp. The extra feats are important because I essentially have to waste 3 on non-ranged ones like PA, Cleave and GC in order to get OC.

Monk levels for all the good reasons (I picked up Zen Archery and will get 10k Stars) and 6 ranger for the freebies that offers in ranged. Cleric through WP line gets me righteous weapons, divine might and if I want to spend the AP some toughness, PRR and even Inflame for pretty cheap. Through the RS line I get Wand & Scroll Mastery in tier 1. Yes please!

My goal is to be mostly, if not all, range focused. I think I can achieve that cycling 10k stars, MS, 10k stars and so on. Much like the Sithali build. Maybe in early levels i will need to put the bow down, but for now I'm trying all out ranged.

So my question is how my path decides anything at all for me? I mean if I go dark or light I can still chose the first core ability of healing amp in Shintao. I can also grab Henshin way of the patient tortoise for 10 more HP and more concentration (Though I may skip this in favor of more from WP line). I can even (while still in the light path) grab some Sneak Attack from Ninja Spy.

So I guess my question is what bearing, if any does the path have? I honestly can't even figure it out for my pure monk build who is dark. I have capped the ninja spy tree and grabbed some goodies from Shintao to include jade strike and healing amp. Why does path matter any more?

Saravis
11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
If you're planning on primarily doing range, I'd say light would be the better because of the buffing and healing finishers. Dark is mostly melee attacks, so would be of minimal benefit.

Xorlandu
11-07-2013, 04:44 PM
If your plan is to use only ranged your path doesn't really mean much these days. Light would probably be the better choice simply for the finishers like water/light/water to help out your other party members. You would have to swap to a melee weapon to use them though cause you can't use strikes with a bow equipped as far as I remember.

In either case though a monkcher usually doesn't have enough ki to do much of anything other than 10k stars unless they melee as well. +2 passive ki gen is enough to keep using 10k stars when it's off cooldown while never swapping to melee from what I remember.

Pre u19 dark would be my choice 99% of the time cause of shadow fade but you can get that now w/o taking the dark path at level 3.