PDA

View Full Version : Returned L20 (solo) Monk with obsolete gear, what to go for?

GrantAnderson
11-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Returning from a fairly long DDO hiatus (i.e. pre-much-Cannith-crafting), I've logged into my L20 monk, specced into Shintao and chosen GMoF epic destiny. I suspect that my gear is not all it could be, though. I just about always solo, so I don't generally have best-in-slot gear, but I think I can probably do better. I'll list what I'm currently sporting below, and any advice on tune-ups would be appreciated. (Should I be running Epic quests solo (possibly on low difficulties?) at L20, or sticking to the heroic quests until I'm 21+?)

Default weapon (I have a few sets of handwraps, this is the one I mostly use): +2 Icy Burst Holy Burst Handwraps of Stunning +6
Head: Minos Legens
Neck: Wisdom +6
Trinket: VotM
Cloak: Resistance +4
Belt: Con +6
Rings: Str +6 and Prot +4
Gloves: Spectral Gloves
Boots: Feather Falling, Jump bonus
Bracers: Chaosgarde (apparently an old version, the wiki now lists them as having a Heroism effect that mine lack, which was what spurred me into looking for better stuff)
Robe: Dragontouched, ExcWis+1, Striding 20, Combustion (not all that great for a Shintao)
Goggles: Flesh Render

GeoffWatson
11-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Returning from a fairly long DDO hiatus (i.e. pre-much-Cannith-crafting), I've logged into my L20 monk, specced into Shintao and chosen GMoF epic destiny. I suspect that my gear is not all it could be, though. I just about always solo, so I don't generally have best-in-slot gear, but I think I can probably do better. I'll list what I'm currently sporting below, and any advice on tune-ups would be appreciated. (Should I be running Epic quests solo (possibly on low difficulties?) at L20, or sticking to the heroic quests until I'm 21+?)

Default weapon (I have a few sets of handwraps, this is the one I mostly use): +2 Icy Burst Holy Burst Handwraps of Stunning +6
Head: Minos Legens
Neck: Wisdom +6
Trinket: VotM
Cloak: Resistance +4
Belt: Con +6
Rings: Str +6 and Prot +4
Gloves: Spectral Gloves
Boots: Feather Falling, Jump bonus
Bracers: Chaosgarde (apparently an old version, the wiki now lists them as having a Heroism effect that mine lack, which was what spurred me into looking for better stuff)
Robe: Dragontouched, ExcWis+1, Striding 20, Combustion (not all that great for a Shintao)
Goggles: Flesh Render

Epic Normal quests are easy enough, and give a lot more XP than the heroic quests.

What adventure packs do you have?

Menace of the Underdark has commendations you trade in for items in Eveningstar. The Villager items are really good for a monk, and easy to get. The Purple Dragon Knight gloves are also great. Unquiet Graves has a really good set of handwraps (Grave Wrappings); the adventure is short so they are pretty easy to get.
The Cannith Challenges have some nice items as well. The Frozen Tunic is great for a monk, as is the Ring of the Stalker. Spare Hand if you go for tactics.

If you have a decent amount of plat, you can get better items (eg +6 stat and something else) than you've currently got from the Auction House, most would be pretty cheap.

Geoff.

GrantAnderson
11-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Epic Normal quests are easy enough, and give a lot more XP than the heroic quests.

What adventure packs do you have?

Menace of the Underdark has commendations you trade in for items in Eveningstar. The Villager items are really good for a monk, and easy to get. The Purple Dragon Knight gloves are also great. Unquiet Graves has a really good set of handwraps (Grave Wrappings); the adventure is short so they are pretty easy to get.
The Cannith Challenges have some nice items as well. The Frozen Tunic is great for a monk, as is the Ring of the Stalker. Spare Hand if you go for tactics.

If you have a decent amount of plat, you can get better items (eg +6 stat and something else) than you've currently got from the Auction House, most would be pretty cheap.

Geoff.
The only adventure packs I don't have are Reign of Madness, Druid's Deep, High Road of Shadows and Secrets of the Artificers (but I have the points to pick them up, I was just going to wait on a sale unless there was some reason to get them Right Now).
I had about 200k plat when I came back - I'm not sure whether that qualifies as a decent amount!

GeoffWatson
11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
The only adventure packs I don't have are Reign of Madness, Druid's Deep, High Road of Shadows and Secrets of the Artificers (but I have the points to pick them up, I was just going to wait on a sale unless there was some reason to get them Right Now).
I had about 200k plat when I came back - I'm not sure whether that qualifies as a decent amount!

I'd suggest doing the Kings Forest explorer area and the quest chain there. The forest encounters give commendations, and you don't need many to get some great items.

That might be enough plat. +6 stat items vary a lot in price. Some as low at 4-5k. You could pick up some minor upgrades (an item that has what you currently do, plus something extra) fairly cheaply. Or wait until after you get the Villager set and see what you need then.

Geoff.

Rhysem
11-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Robe is, IMO, biggest bang for your buck to upgrade. You might find better lootgens in the AH or on the vendor on the cheap. +8 deathblock, possibly with a blue slot. So that fixes the robe, leaves headgear open, and potentially another item too depending what you can find to fill the blue slot with.

If the cove was up, I'd suggest trying to score the ring of the buccaneer out of it, but it isn't. You may (or may not) need a friend if you want to actually get dragonshards so you can tier-2 or tier-3 it.

If mabar was up, I'd suggest trying to score the cloak of night and handwraps of endless light out of it, but it isn't.

Spare hand (out of cannith challenges) is worth a look. Epic spare hand shouldn't be too hard to farm up.

GrantAnderson
11-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Robe is, IMO, biggest bang for your buck to upgrade. You might find better lootgens in the AH or on the vendor on the cheap. +8 deathblock, possibly with a blue slot. So that fixes the robe, leaves headgear open, and potentially another item too depending what you can find to fill the blue slot with.

If the cove was up, I'd suggest trying to score the ring of the buccaneer out of it, but it isn't. You may (or may not) need a friend if you want to actually get dragonshards so you can tier-2 or tier-3 it.

If mabar was up, I'd suggest trying to score the cloak of night and handwraps of endless light out of it, but it isn't.

Spare hand (out of cannith challenges) is worth a look. Epic spare hand shouldn't be too hard to farm up.
Thanks! I took Geoff's advice and hit the King's Forest, so my robe is now the Sun Soul one, ditto the belt, and I'm a few commendations off the final item in the set.

I didn't manage to get handwraps out of Mabar, but I did get a +5 Wisdom tome. :) It is indeed the handwraps that I'm looking suspiciously at now. Doing the MotU arcs at the moment, I'm tempted to get Greater Drow Bane or whatever the equivalent is!

toaftoaf
11-05-2013, 11:46 PM
looks like you need more ghostbane. :D im sure most of us think that

ycheese123
11-06-2013, 12:31 AM
If you're grabbing stuff from the comm traders, pick up the pdk gloves (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Purple_Dragon_Gauntlets) and the lenses of the woodsman (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Lenses_of_the_Woodsman). Also...Drow smoke goggles (ddowiki.com/page/Item:Drow_Smoke_Goggles) and Grave wrappings (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Grave_Wrappings) aren't too hard to get either. Voice seems a waste of a perma-trinket slot, I'd suggest Sustaining Symboint (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Sustaining_Symbiont) but I don't believe you have that pack. Maybe just a new Dusk Heart (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Dusk_Heart)? Should be easy to pick up. Craft the Master's Gift (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:The_Master%27s_Gift) augment and stick it into the dusk heart.

sirgog
11-06-2013, 02:56 AM
If you're grabbing stuff from the comm traders, pick up the pdk gloves (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Purple_Dragon_Gauntlets) and the lenses of the woodsman (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Lenses_of_the_Woodsman). Also...Drow smoke goggles (ddowiki.com/page/Item:Drow_Smoke_Goggles) and Grave wrappings (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Grave_Wrappings) aren't too hard to get either. Voice seems a waste of a perma-trinket slot, I'd suggest Sustaining Symboint (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Sustaining_Symbiont) but I don't believe you have that pack. Maybe just a new Dusk Heart (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Dusk_Heart)? Should be easy to pick up. Craft the Master's Gift (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:The_Master%27s_Gift) augment and stick it into the dusk heart.

Until you've made the Master's Gift, never ever be the fool that takes the Voice off. Voice applies to optional XP which was not the case a while back, so you need it on all the time or you are wasting a lot of XP.

In quests that are very optional-heavy, someone that wears the voice all the time and recalls and reenters can get more XP than someone that only has the voice on for completion. Most people don't recall/reenter often at all; taking off the Voice should be equally rare.

Especially because nothing you could wear will increase your completion speed even close to the amount needed to compensate for losing the Voice effect on ~90% of optionals and ~10% of completions.

ycheese123
11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Until you've made the Master's Gift, never ever be the fool that takes the Voice off. Voice applies to optional XP which was not the case a while back, so you need it on all the time or you are wasting a lot of XP.

Oh, yes, those are Great points. It's more of a personal thing I 'spose. I would not wear VoM all of the time, but that's because I'm rarely concerned about max XP or fast completions. Fortunately enough it exists in augment form now, so no more missing out on xp :o

GrantAnderson
11-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Huh. Went through the King's Forest, the Underdark and the Demonweb on Epic Normal without too much trouble. Then I thought I'd finish up the saga, so I stroll confidently into Lords of Dust Epic Normal. The *dogs* were a ridiculously high CR compared to the cultists, but I blatted on through to the end bosses. Gnomon I eventually wore down, though he was pretty tough and I think I need more damage, but his drow buddy just tore me apart.

Epic Normal on Eberron is clearly a little tougher than Epic Normal Forgotten Realms.

I'm running the Sun Soul set now, and am level 22, but I'm still using the same old handwraps as mentioned above - possibly that's the reason I wasn't getting much damage through.

Almost midnight here - might try Lords of Dust again (as I'm a glutton for punishment) but on Epic Casual - I'll still get saga completion, at least, even if the xp's a bit low.

GeoffWatson
11-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Huh. Went through the King's Forest, the Underdark and the Demonweb on Epic Normal without too much trouble. Then I thought I'd finish up the saga, so I stroll confidently into Lords of Dust Epic Normal. The *dogs* were a ridiculously high CR compared to the cultists, but I blatted on through to the end bosses. Gnomon I eventually wore down, though he was pretty tough and I think I need more damage, but his drow buddy just tore me apart.

Epic Normal on Eberron is clearly a little tougher than Epic Normal Forgotten Realms.

I'm running the Sun Soul set now, and am level 22, but I'm still using the same old handwraps as mentioned above - possibly that's the reason I wasn't getting much damage through.

Almost midnight here - might try Lords of Dust again (as I'm a glutton for punishment) but on Epic Casual - I'll still get saga completion, at least, even if the xp's a bit low.

Lords of Dust is buggy.
Some of the monsters are the Epic Elite variants.

Geoff.

GrantAnderson
11-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Lords of Dust is buggy.
Some of the monsters are the Epic Elite variants.

Geoff.
Oh. If that includes the bosses, I don't feel quite so bad about it! (I don't see it in the Known Issues, but I assume if it's common knowledge it's been bugged already? Edit: apparently fixed in U20! Well, that's not long to wait now.)

The other thing that gave me trouble was the last fight of 'Don't Drink the Water' - but I think that may not be down to a bug! I shall give it another shot in a few Destiny Points and see what happens. Further edit, one quest later: managed to take out the DDtW boss, though it did take my Rise of the Phoenix and a sack of potions swigged while on the run!

ArcaneArcher52689
11-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Oh. If that includes the bosses, I don't feel quite so bad about it! (I don't see it in the Known Issues, but I assume if it's common knowledge it's been bugged already? Edit: apparently fixed in U20! Well, that's not long to wait now.)

The other thing that gave me trouble was the last fight of 'Don't Drink the Water' - but I think that may not be down to a bug! I shall give it another shot in a few Destiny Points and see what happens. Further edit, one quest later: managed to take out the DDtW boss, though it did take my Rise of the Phoenix and a sack of potions swigged while on the run!

Yeah, it hasn't been mentioned in a while. On the bright side, it should hopefully be fixed on tuesday (crosses fingers)

GeoffWatson
11-08-2013, 07:09 PM

The DDtW end fight is tough for a melee. The dragon throws out a lot of no save effects, which really sucks.

Geoff.

Thud
11-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Oh, yes, those are Great points. It's more of a personal thing I 'spose. I would not wear VoM all of the time, but that's because I'm rarely concerned about max XP or fast completions. Fortunately enough it exists in augment form now, so no more missing out on xp :o

I put the resistance ritual on my pale green ioun stone. +1 saves, 5%xp and 40 vitality make a nice ml 15 trinket ;)

Edit: Oh, need the shadowfell expansion for this though.