PDA

View Full Version : Server Downtime: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Friday, November 1

Tolero
11-01-2013, 11:54 AM
The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Friday, November 1st from 2:00 - 4:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for maintenance. Lamannia will remain up and available during the downtime. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

Rakuda13
11-01-2013, 11:59 AM
This is funny.
I wish DDO would find ONE system to use to tell us stuff.
Like the day we didnt get TP for favor,maybe you didnt see that because it was buried in the account thread.

Circon
11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Is this the cleanup from mabar/fubar/mehbar/lagbar/lamebar? I saw the event had vanished earlier today.

PS: any chance of the mabar vendor (just the vendor) returning during the weekend for the people who have lots of motes but little time?

Arcanghakhyorsarthel
11-01-2013, 12:08 PM
OK...so is this an emergency thing or scheduled and someone kinda forgot to tell people?

Thought that this last minute stuff was....nevermind.

(logs off DDO in frustration)

Arianka
11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Is this the cleanup from mabar/fubar/mehbar/lagbar/lamebar? I saw the event had vanished earlier today.

OK...so is this an emergency thing or scheduled and someone kinda forgot to tell people?

i'm guessing its somthing else.

Dandonk
11-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Umm, right, so what's so important that it has to be EU prime time, on a friday night, and with a whole hour's worth of notice?

-Zephyr-
11-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Thought that this last minute stuff was....nevermind.

(logs off DDO in frustration)

In this case, "scheduled" means "don't worry it's not a server crash we hadn't anticipated".

lethargos
11-01-2013, 12:19 PM
nm

Opensezame
11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Umm, right, so what's so important that it has to be EU prime time, on a friday night, and with a whole hour's worth of notice?

Not to mention it's my birthday!!!

Nestroy
11-01-2013, 12:41 PM

As usual exploit fixing, what else do you think? Everything else is Monday, 6 - 10 EST.

Dandonk
11-01-2013, 12:42 PM
As usual exploit fixing, what else do you think? Everything else is Monday, 6 - 10 EST.

Exploit? I doubt it, last one ran weeks or even months. That could've waited till the new year.

Silvamoon70
11-01-2013, 12:42 PM
not to mention it's my birthday!!!

happy birthday!!!

brzytki
11-01-2013, 12:43 PM
This is funny.
I wish DDO would find ONE system to use to tell us stuff.

What? We have an accurate in-game World Broadcast messages system.
Oh wait, i've just seen those messages pop up in this order:
1) closed in 60 min
2) closed in 45 min
3) closed in 60 min (!!)
4) closed in 45 min (!!)
5) closed in 30 min

:confused:

sebastianosmith
11-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Upon this day I state without reservation that thou doth possess both the countenance and aroma of a simian.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

:D

TFPAQ
11-01-2013, 12:49 PM

It's my birthday too!

sebastianosmith
11-01-2013, 12:52 PM
It's my birthday too!

What are the odds (http://www.howstuffworks.com/question261.htm)...?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Asmodeus451
11-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Turbine needs to take a page out of Cryptic's book and start doing WEEKLY maintenance/fixes at a regularly scheduled time and date (ie, Cryptic does theirs every Thurs @ 7am PST)

this would let them keep the servers more stable, and start hacking away at the Bugs (every week Cryptic's patch notes include AT LEAST 1-2 bug fixes)

Darkrok
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I almost took the day off today because we're slow enough at work to afford me taking the day off and frankly I was due. My intention was to play DDO all day - just needed a day to screw around and unwind and DDO sounded like a fun way to do that. I would have been pretty upset if I'd burnt a day off specifically for that purpose with absolutely no indication from Turbine that we'd have down time and then a scheduled downtime is announced in the middle of the same day it's due to occur. If you guys have scheduled downtime can you please try giving at least a day of notice if not more? It didn't effect me at all this time but again, I have a life and if I want to play DDO for a longer period of time I have to schedule around that life. A little information goes a long way.

oweieie
11-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Turbine needs to take a page out of Cryptic's book and start doing WEEKLY maintenance/fixes at a regularly scheduled time and date (ie, Cryptic does theirs every Thurs @ 7am PST)

this would let them keep the servers more stable, and start hacking away at the Bugs (every week Cryptic's patch notes include AT LEAST 1-2 bug fixes)

They need to take a page out of Square-Enix's book and make servers that don't need to be taken down. FF11 would stay up for many months straight.

Vaniir76
11-01-2013, 01:07 PM
If you guys have scheduled downtime can you please try giving at least a day of notice if not more?

They gave us a whole 60 minutes worth of notice! Be thankful for what ya get. ;)

DogMania
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Well its obvious they waited for Mabar to finish 1st as if they had done this during Mabar and then shortened the duration like they did you guys would have quit again like you do every problem

Nestroy
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Exploit? I doubt it, last one ran weeks or even months. That could've waited till the new year.

They would have fixed that given they would have found it earlier and would have been able to fix it. There are exploits running for at least since I first put my foot into DDO, and they have never been fixed. And there have been fixes nobody talks about (doors only unlockable by keys and not by rogue or arty. and stuff like that) that had been actively working for eons. Exploit fixes are damn fast once they find out about what bugs there.

On the other side, I only say "ladders" now. Shall I really give them a bug report for any ladder there is in game? I meanwhile am sure i had the ladder bug on at least 90% of ladders that are in the game. I prefer to runb ALL the qursts with my TRs so there is a helluva good chance to get problems with any ladder there is once in a while. And so far there had been no clear picture on when a ladder bugs out, except when I jump to the ladder - then I have a felt 30/70 it will bug out and I have to press space bar and go again.

Well, we all know that hotfixes usually give fixes for quests that are unplayable (and Mabar oficially ended and so far I have not heard of anything else being totally broken) or fix exploits. So this time I think its an easy bank to put money on "hotfix to fix an exploit".

DogMania
11-01-2013, 01:11 PM
They gave us a whole 60 minutes worth of notice! Be thankful for what ya get. ;)

Actualy it was 1 and 1/2 hours as per a previous post

merridyan
11-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Hotfix!

Release notes:

XP stones are now BTC

Opensezame
11-01-2013, 01:13 PM
1) closed in 60 min
2) closed in 45 min
3) closed in 60 min (!!)
4) closed in 45 min (!!)
5) closed in 30 min

Maybe it's a timer bug they are fixing???

Opensezame
11-01-2013, 01:14 PM
It's my birthday too!

Happy birthday!!!

Dandonk
11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
They would have fixed that given they would have found it earlier and would have been able to fix it. There are exploits running for at least since I first put my foot into DDO, and they have never been fixed. And there have been fixes nobody talks about (doors only unlockable by keys and not by rogue or arty. and stuff like that) that had been actively working for eons. Exploit fixes are damn fast once they find out about what bugs there.

On the other side, I only say "ladders" now. Shall I really give them a bug report for any ladder there is in game? I meanwhile am sure i had the ladder bug on at least 90% of ladders that are in the game. I prefer to runb ALL the qursts with my TRs so there is a helluva good chance to get problems with any ladder there is once in a while. And so far there had been no clear picture on when a ladder bugs out, except when I jump to the ladder - then I have a felt 30/70 it will bug out and I have to press space bar and go again.

Well, we all know that hotfixes usually give fixes for quests that are unplayable (and Mabar oficially ended and so far I have not heard of anything else being totally broken) or fix exploits. So this time I think its an easy bank to put money on "hotfix to fix an exploit".

And sometimes exploits have been reported on Lama only to go live and not be fixed for weeks.

Tscheuss
11-01-2013, 01:17 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3283142017_8e53c318c0.jpg

-Zephyr-
11-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Actualy it was 1 and 1/2 hours as per a previous post

That'd be assuming the time between the first three announcements was indeed 15 minutes each time.
It was more around 5 minutes. So 1 hour 10 minutes...

But that's details. It's still too short a notice to plan days off.

GRUMBLEDUKE
11-01-2013, 01:22 PM
I do not think this maintenance was 'scheduled in advance' just that they brought the server down themselves. If it is short notice and unannounced then its probably to fix a bug or exploit
It could be just to repair or optimise the servers after the stress from Mabar.
But then I think they are just messing with my head. Offering me the anticipation of some +2 loot and then closing the server just after I pop a Huge Jewel of Fortune.

Billybobml
11-01-2013, 01:24 PM
At least you are getting +2 loot during this downtime!

Here's to hoping this Friday hotfix goes better than the last!

Darkrok
11-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Hotfix!

Release notes:

XP stones are now BTC

Ugh...while I'm aware of the reasoning behind this and I quite frankly agree with the move (and the fact the move was done without warning) I'm feeling a tad silly right now about my bank toon that's holding about 120k worth of gold xp stones because they were BTA. Again, I understand that Turbine's hand was forced...I just have a bit of a sad. Guess I'll need to TR+20 that toon and do something with it now. :)

merridyan
11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Ugh...while I'm aware of the reasoning behind this and I quite frankly agree with the move (and the fact the move was done without warning) I'm feeling a tad silly right now about my bank toon that's holding about 120k worth of gold xp stones because they were BTA. Again, I understand that Turbine's hand was forced...I just have a bit of a sad. Guess I'll need to TR+20 that toon and do something with it now. :)

Making them BTC is the easy fix. What they actually need to do is code it properly and leave them BTA. I suspect this will have the same fate as FoS last post about the epic flameward recipe for the stone of change ~ "Someday maybe but not likely".

Antheia
11-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Hmm, looks like Europe is an exploit, gj Turbine, you dont care Eu players

PNellesen
11-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Hotfix!

Release notes:

XP stones are now BTC

Assuming this is true (source? - I didn't see it anywhere, but my search-fu is weak. I have no trouble believing it though) my question becomes:

They can retroactively make XP stones BtC in a hotfix, but they can't make signets or +5 tomes BtA as compensation for shutting down Mabar early?

Dandonk
11-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Hmm, looks like Europe is an exploit, gj Turbine, you dont care Eu players

No, they don't, but this is a minor incident in that long saga.

Darkrok
11-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Making them BTC is the easy fix. What they actually need to do is code it properly and leave them BTA. I suspect this will have the same fate as FoS last post about the epic flameward recipe for the stone of change ~ "Someday maybe but not likely".

Yeah, it's only 120k of xp. I'd rather just use the +20 heart on this toon (as it's a bank toon I wasn't likely to ever use it anyway), make something weird that sounds fun, and chomp down on the 120kxp to get a bit past the level 7 it's sitting at right now. Not going to wait for Turbine to actually fix the underlying problem and turn these back BTA like they should be.

And truth be told I was always hesitant to use them because I was hoarding them. I'm not sure what I was waiting for but from now on I'll just log in to whatever toon I'm leveling at the time for my gold rolls.

Thinking further about this though I did pay for a few of those gold rolls specifically to start saving up stones BECAUSE they were BTA. A refund on those AS's does seem appropriate given that I no longer have what I paid to get.

HungarianRhapsody
11-01-2013, 01:38 PM

The last 5 significant exploits that I heard about took several months each to fix. I'm surprised and impressed that they fixed this one so very quickly and did so in a way that probably won't break other things.

twigzz
11-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Ahhh ****! I'm in the same boat.

HernandoCortez
11-01-2013, 01:39 PM

So there was a xp stone dupping this time...

DunkleNymphe
11-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Hotfix!

Release notes:

XP stones are now BTC

And where did you find that?

ImanCarrot
11-01-2013, 01:42 PM
See! even their clock is rubber banding!

1) closed in 60 min
2) closed in 45 min
3) closed in 60 min (!!)
4) closed in 45 min (!!)
5) closed in 30 min

btw, that dragon cake is the coolest cake I've ever seen :)

Opensezame
11-01-2013, 01:43 PM
The last 5 significant exploits that I heard about took several months each to fix. I'm surprised and impressed that they fixed this one so very quickly and did so in a way that probably won't break other things.

It's item specific... It's an easy fix

Opensezame
11-01-2013, 01:45 PM
And where did you find that?

I store mine in my shared bank, so if I'm 100/200 Xperia from a level I don't have to go and do something else... What will happen to them.

Darkrok
11-01-2013, 01:46 PM
So there was a xp stone dupping this time...

Can't talk about exploits here on the board but I'd say that it's certainly a logical assumption that people were doing something against the rules given the speed at which the servers were taken down.

Relem
11-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Think about it, we got upset when we found out about what was happening in Update 20. We got upset when Mabar lagged on us some of the time (there was ways to control the lag). We got upset when Mabar was ended earlier.

Turbine must feel that they don't want to upset us any further by giving us the reason for the down time. Mainly because it's Update 20 :P

Darkrok
11-01-2013, 01:47 PM
I store mine in my shared bank, so if I'm 100/200 Xperia from a level I don't have to go and do something else... What will happen to them.

I've actually had this situation before (item in shared bank when it changed from BTA to BTC). It stays in the shared bank until you take it out or at least it did in the specific case where that happened to me.

That's actually the only time I've been using them too...when I'm just short of a level I'll pop one to finish it off so I can level before logging out.

stoerm
11-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Here's to all the popcorn I get to eat in the imminent future.

I'm a tiny bit miffed at losing play time because of this. Miffed at Turbine for another slip up, and the people who publicized it. Meh, these things happen and life goes on. Hopefully there's a bit of forum drama to make up for it.

P.S. the way people were publicly using this exploit just minutes ago makes me wonder didn't the bans from dupe-a-looza have any effect at all.

HungarianRhapsody
11-01-2013, 01:51 PM

I'm very happy with this fix. It allows the items to still function and it isn't likely to break anything else since they're just changing the bind status flag on the item.

I'd MUCH rather see someone just change a flag on an item instead of actually trying to change the code. Changing the code = introducing more bugs.

DunkleNymphe
11-01-2013, 01:52 PM

I was asking where the other poster got the release note information from.
And I think you did an epic fail reading/quoting skill check. :)

HungarianRhapsody
11-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I was asking where the other poster got the release note information from.
And I think you did an epic fail reading/quoting skill check. :)

It wasn't a reading fail. It was just someone clicking reply with quote instead of plain ol' reply.

Darkrok
11-01-2013, 02:02 PM
It wasn't a reading fail. It was just someone clicking reply with quote instead of plain ol' reply.

I do that a lot because you don't have a reply button if the forum logs you out but you still have the reply with quote. I try to remember to take the quote out when I use it for that purpose but I don't always manage to do it. :)

Opensezame
11-01-2013, 02:10 PM
It's nice some people realise I'm not a total idiot lol

fliguy
11-01-2013, 02:16 PM
my launcher is updating game could be back
EDIT: its not back I tried to log in and got a generic "go away" error message

Heu
11-01-2013, 02:25 PM
It is back.

Infiltraitor
11-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Anyone else getting a:

Failed to read authentification response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col:1]

ThrakThor
11-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Anyone else getting a:

Failed to read authentification response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col:1]

Yup.

bnugier
11-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Anyone else getting a:

Yes, I am getting it.

Piggly_wiggly
11-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Anyone else getting a:

Yupx2

Yunico
11-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Anyone else getting a:

That means that the login servers are still down.

shteev
11-01-2013, 02:33 PM

please stop try to confuse things with facts and ideas that seem like they may work! TYVM!

Guartwog
11-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Anyone else getting a:

Ditto. Still another 27 minutes!

Suavenna
11-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Probably the login servers are still down.
I get the same message too.

KweiLi
11-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Quite a few files being downloaded and patched for.. ahem "maintenance"

Dandonk
11-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Ditto. Still another 27 minutes!

Or another 72 hours and 27 minutes, you never know :p

Tscheuss
11-01-2013, 02:39 PM
See! even their clock is rubber banding!

1) closed in 60 min
2) closed in 45 min
3) closed in 60 min (!!)
4) closed in 45 min (!!)
5) closed in 30 min

btw, that dragon cake is the coolest cake I've ever seen :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2349/2083342822_17f5479606_z.jpg

Guartwog
11-01-2013, 02:40 PM

But if I go into it thinking that, how can I be outraged if it's not back in the now 21 minutes that were advertised?

I'm OUTRAGED you'd even suggest something that would prevent my outrage at Turbine. OUTRAGED, I SAY!

shteev
11-01-2013, 02:41 PM
It's nice some people realise I'm not a total idiot lol

Some people are also delusional ;)

Dandonk
11-01-2013, 02:42 PM
But if I go into it thinking that, how can I be outraged if it's not back in the now 21 minutes that were advertised?

I'm OUTRAGED you'd even suggest something that would prevent my outrage at Turbine. OUTRAGED, I SAY!

Hehe, I bow to your superior outrage :)

skorpeon
11-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Enjoying game of thrones, never saw the series so now reading the books. Now I recognise a bunch of toon names. Realise how little imagination people have.

Tymout, Gilderon (ok that´s from Tolkien, but was my fav PnP character 25 years ago) Dverg (meaning dwarf in ancient norse), Katze Klawz (Cat in German)

Guartwog
11-01-2013, 02:44 PM

It's my birthday too!

Happy birthdays!

Now I suggest you two fight to the death for the shiny birthday cake I've got here...

Dandonk
11-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Enjoying game of thrones, never saw the series so now reading the books. Now I recognise a bunch of toon names. Realise how little imagination people have.

Tymout, Gilderon (ok that´s from Tolkien, but was my fav PnP character 25 years ago) Dverg (meaning dwarf in ancient norse), Katze Klawz (Cat in German)

Oooh, you have some good times ahead of you, then, great books :)

As for imagination... well, since most of my stable of gimmps are called Dan-something, I don't think I should comment on anyone else's lack of imagination :)

Piggly_wiggly
11-01-2013, 02:49 PM
(whistles the tune to Jeopardy while becoming increasingly agitated)

Time to start taking it out on the people closest to me. (dog yelps, imaginary close friends and family leave to give me some 'space.')

HernandoCortez
11-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Ok, game has been patched. Where are the release notes?

fliguy
11-01-2013, 02:50 PM
game up confirmed

Heu
11-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Meh! Same thing after every downtime.

Guartwog
11-01-2013, 02:51 PM
It's aliiiiiiiive!

Tscheuss
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
First roll after downtime was 100:

(Standard): You obtain a 1000 Experience Points, and a +1 Tome of Understanding (Wisdom +1).

KweiLi
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Ok, game has been patched. Where are the release notes?

A google search will get you close enough.

Cordovan
11-01-2013, 02:58 PM
The worlds have reopened. We'll see you in-game!

KuraNai
11-01-2013, 03:00 PM
That means that the login servers are still down.

I have got same message.But Yourddo
website saying that server are up online.
Can it be just login sever down at the moment?
Can someone reply if you have same problem?

KuraNai
11-01-2013, 03:02 PM

It is okay now.Thank you :P

DogMania
11-01-2013, 03:15 PM
What I can not stand are Liars, since when does maintenance involve an update????????????

Nestroy
11-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Any news on what has been fixed? Or did you get new spyware upgrades from the NSA you do not want to tell us about ;)?

Darkrok
11-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Hotfix!

Release notes:

XP stones are now BTC

At least for my existing ones I've been hoarding this was untrue. Just in case Turbine changes their mind I immediately moved my stash (18 gems of 3k or more xp each) to my shared bank. I'd rather get to use them on a toon that can benefit.

rayworks
11-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Well, they didn't find this one "quickly". Its been around for a bit.

Malleable
11-01-2013, 03:51 PM
PS: any chance of the mabar vendor (just the vendor) returning during the weekend for the people who have lots of motes but little time?

+1 (not sure if others agreed to this also, in which case +n)

Llewndyn
11-01-2013, 03:52 PM
1) closed in 60 min
2) closed in 45 min
3) closed in 60 min (!!)
4) closed in 45 min (!!)
5) closed in 30 min

That part was hilarious. I went ahead and ran 4 more quests and logged after that... While it is laughable, I still appreciated it :)

adamkatt
11-01-2013, 04:38 PM

Patch notes?

Volpe
11-01-2013, 05:17 PM

OH! So its YOUR fault!

Volpe
11-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Except Cryptic's coding is always far more full of bugs than DDO's.

relenttless
11-01-2013, 07:24 PM
I log in....download new patch, files etc

enter password, load screen comes up...then...

Error message:

"You do not have current client installed"

really....and there's me thinking I had....

jesus.

barecm
11-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Ok, game has been patched. Where are the release notes?You can now find the release notes in the DDO store for a 450 pts.

ImanCarrot
11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Doubt it, the carrier pigeon if still mid air and suffering from rubber banding and lag, poor thing. And it's been raining. The small piece of parchment has to be decoded at Turbine's main castle by the High Priestess...

Oh wait.. am I getting too much in character lol

Samir_Bennal
11-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Patch notes?

Was wondering the same thing

kazekamio
11-04-2013, 05:55 AM
Except Cryptic's coding is always far more full of bugs than DDO's.

That is a side effect of them being sold off to Perfect World. When they were with Atari still they did amazing work on games like Star Trek Online actually releasing new content and doing patches both in the same update every single week for a year straight.. Soon as Perfect World acquired Cryptic their rate of new content dropped back to once every few months and the rate at which they fixed bugs dropped off sharply. But the rate at which they introduced bugs spiked. Which is why I honestly thing DDO has gone the asian MMO route because it is suffering from similar problems.

Samir_Bennal
11-04-2013, 07:18 PM
That is a side effect of them being sold off to Perfect World. When they were with Atari still they did amazing work on games like Star Trek Online actually releasing new content and doing patches both in the same update every single week for a year straight.. Soon as Perfect World acquired Cryptic their rate of new content dropped back to once every few months and the rate at which they fixed bugs dropped off sharply. But the rate at which they introduced bugs spiked. Which is why I honestly thing DDO has gone the asian MMO route because it is suffering from similar problems.

Was the year of no new content under Atari or imPerfect World?

adamkatt
11-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Was wondering the same thing

I guess this was a ***secret*** patch with no notes...... Spooon..