PDA

View Full Version : Advice for second-life sorcerer who's insane enough to want to trap as well

GrantAnderson
11-01-2013, 12:22 AM
I have my first character, a Wizard, ready to TR (the beginning of Completionism), and I'm thinking Sorcerer for life 2. As once I hit 20 I'll be back to 1 so fast that people watching will suffer whiplash, I obviously don't care about the capstone. In fact, I was kind of hoping to make them a trapper, as I solo pretty much all the time, due to toddler and odd hours. If I take a Rogue level at 1, I figure the bare minimum skill points/level will be 6 - 2 for Disable Device, 2 for Search, 1 each for Concentration and Spellcraft. The Wizard has eaten a +5 Int tome, so I'll have a few more skill points to play with as I level up. That still means 18 Int (or 16 on a Human) to start with which cuts into the 34 points quite sharply. (I realise it's probably not optimal to go trapping on a sorcerer; humor me? :) )

Going human, maxing Cha and getting Int to 16 leaves 8 points for other stats. Going drow means I can have Cha 20, Int 18 and 4 points left over, while the other races have to pay 16 points for the 18 Int, which means 2 points left over after maxing Cha at 18.

I have a halfling Sorcerer already, and quite a lot of human and warforged characters, so I was leaning towards drow (very minor advantage, Dex+2, so a freebie +1 to Open Lock). My plan for Open Lock was 4 ranks at L1, maybe another level of Rogue around 10 to top it up a bit, but otherwise rely on items/buffs/etc and a BIG bag of thieves tools.

Any advice for trapping with a sorcerer? Will not having the self-healing of a warforged or halfling be too painful for a soloer?

Lonnbeimnech
11-01-2013, 12:41 AM
I have my first character, a Wizard, ready to TR (the beginning of Completionism), and I'm thinking Sorcerer for life 2. As once I hit 20 I'll be back to 1 so fast that people watching will suffer whiplash, I obviously don't care about the capstone. In fact, I was kind of hoping to make them a trapper, as I solo pretty much all the time, due to toddler and odd hours. If I take a Rogue level at 1, I figure the bare minimum skill points/level will be 6 - 2 for Disable Device, 2 for Search, 1 each for Concentration and Spellcraft. The Wizard has eaten a +5 Int tome, so I'll have a few more skill points to play with as I level up. That still means 18 Int (or 16 on a Human) to start with which cuts into the 34 points quite sharply. (I realise it's probably not optimal to go trapping on a sorcerer; humor me? :) )

Going human, maxing Cha and getting Int to 16 leaves 8 points for other stats. Going drow means I can have Cha 20, Int 18 and 4 points left over, while the other races have to pay 16 points for the 18 Int, which means 2 points left over after maxing Cha at 18.

I have a halfling Sorcerer already, and quite a lot of human and warforged characters, so I was leaning towards drow (very minor advantage, Dex+2, so a freebie +1 to Open Lock). My plan for Open Lock was 4 ranks at L1, maybe another level of Rogue around 10 to top it up a bit, but otherwise rely on items/buffs/etc and a BIG bag of thieves tools.

Any advice for trapping with a sorcerer? Will not having the self-healing of a warforged or halfling be too painful for a soloer?

a con dumped drow with no umd for self heals...

a few suggestions, take the knock spell, dump open locks skill
take quicken, dump concentration.
go wf, 16 con int and cha, that gives you 2 points for search and 2 for disable and 1 for spellcraft.

GrantAnderson
11-01-2013, 02:55 AM
a con dumped drow with no umd for self heals...

a few suggestions, take the knock spell, dump open locks skill
take quicken, dump concentration.
go wf, 16 con int and cha, that gives you 2 points for search and 2 for disable and 1 for spellcraft.
In my defence, I'm going to be solo, so I'm not going to inflict this on any groups!

Is Knock good enough to get through most non-raid locks?

I have quite a few warforged, so I was aiming for something different. If I did the Quicken over Concentration thing on a Drow, I'd only need to spend 6 on Int, so I could start with 8/10/13/16/8/20 or 8/10/15/16/8/18 with a point over for Str, Dex or Wis. The +2 Con tome the Wizard ate will help too, when I hit the levels where it becomes active.

I'll have some UMD from the Rogue levels and the high Cha, and extra skill points to put in it as the Int tome phases in. In fact, if I leave Con at 12 (14 once the Tome kicks in), I can run pretty close to maxed UMD.

Lonnbeimnech
11-01-2013, 02:30 PM
In my defence, I'm going to be solo, so I'm not going to inflict this on any groups!

Is Knock good enough to get through most non-raid locks?

I have quite a few warforged, so I was aiming for something different. If I did the Quicken over Concentration thing on a Drow, I'd only need to spend 6 on Int, so I could start with 8/10/13/16/8/20 or 8/10/15/16/8/18 with a point over for Str, Dex or Wis. The +2 Con tome the Wizard ate will help too, when I hit the levels where it becomes active.

I'll have some UMD from the Rogue levels and the high Cha, and extra skill points to put in it as the Int tome phases in. In fact, if I leave Con at 12 (14 once the Tome kicks in), I can run pretty close to maxed UMD.

the dc of knock is your caster level + your casting stat modifier + 1d20, there are only a few particularly hard doors/chests that you will not be able to knock at level. Like the marut optional in vol, or the first chest in servants of the overlords, the second locked door in von5 on the way to the rust monster.

The problem with dumping concentration on a drow and taking quicken is that quicken doesnt work on scrolls but concentration does. So those times you really need to get a heal scroll to work, it wont.

Thalone
11-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Self-healing in 95% of cases is only as painful as you make it. I've run every melee class (heavily multiclassed) on my TR character as a drow, using Heal scrolls as the primary source of healing from about level 12 onward. It's easier on a caster-type, as you can put CC up to mass control enemies, rather than individually CC using trip/sap/stun. All the typical advice applies; don't take more aggro than you can handle, get the dangerous enemies first (casters), use terrain/doorways to your advantage.

I just finished a Drow ART1/SOR17 life. Starting stats I believe were CHA 18, INT 16, CON 14, STR 14 (meleeing early levels). I was, as warned by the other poster in this thread, failing concentration checks sporadically, but I didn't bother wearing a concentration item full-time, and I was not religiously maxing my skills, splitting between Concentration, UMD, Search, and Disable. With proper gear swaps, I was still able to search out and disable the not-insanely-difficult traps in quests up to level 17.

I have not found more than four initial points in Open Lock needed to get the "necessary" locks with proper gearing. It may take a few rolls, but you'll eventually get the important ones. This will save you a level 2 spell slot.

Since you are primarily solo, I would suggest splashing ART instead of ROG; having a pet lever-puller (or soulstone picker-upper!) can be handy if you can't get your Reflex up to matter. I would not advise splashing more than one trapper level if you're just going to turn around and TR again. It delays your SLA progression (free metas on Fireball was fun) and spell progression (Firewall, Finger, etc). A common strategy I used during this life was to plant a Web, put a Firewall in the middle of it, and stack other fun AoEs (Cloudkill is very underutilised) on it while spraying SLAs.

jellyfish21
11-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Here is my advice for a trap smith Sorcerer.
1) Be human with only one rogue level and 19 sorcerer
2) Start with a 16 in CHA, INT and CON (48 skill points [SKPO] at level one), 7 SKPO @ level 4, 8 SKPO @ 8, 9 @ 12, 10 @ 16 & 11 @ 20
3) Put all your level up points into INT (If you're serious about completionist, your DC's should be fine.)
4) Build a DPS Sorcerer as usual, but specialize only in air/wind magnetism and sonic
5) Improve your human enhancements for skills
6) When you have to get through a trap to disable, make sure you can be resurrected
7) Keep your sneak maxed up to 12 ranks each (sneak is the primary rogue ability, not trap smith); You'll love what this opens up for you.
8) Communicate with team mates
9) Show respect to rogues more pure w/ advice for newer folk and w/ listening to older folk