PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on enhancements for monkcher

mikarddo
10-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I am building a 12 mnk/6rng/2ftr moncher with the intention to use a bow (Pinion) exclusively.
I just cannot seem to figure out which enhancements are worth taking for epic level play (EE).
Many of toggles seem great for heroic play but lackluster for epic play but maybe I am overlooking something.

Thus I am hoping someone would be kind enough to suggest a set of enhancements for such a build, thanks.

jskinner937
10-27-2013, 05:15 PM
1st of all, paladin 2 is much better than fighter now since you have some feats to spare. Divine Might for the win. The most important things in the AA tree is arrows of slaying, moonbow, morhpic arrows, metalline arrows, energy of the wild and soul magic. Rest of it is a matter of preference...i.e the fillers. I took paralyzing over force (probably will switch at higher epic levels), dispelling shot, and inferno shot. From there you wan the ninja spy points to get shadow fade, enough points in KoTC to get divine might and rest in deepwood and race. AA cant go wrong really just a matter of preference. IF you go fighter over pally, you will find the enhancements useless on an AA FYI.

mikarddo
10-28-2013, 03:22 AM
1st of all, paladin 2 is much better than fighter now since you have some feats to spare. Divine Might for the win. The most important things in the AA tree is arrows of slaying, moonbow, morhpic arrows, metalline arrows, energy of the wild and soul magic. Rest of it is a matter of preference...i.e the fillers. I took paralyzing over force (probably will switch at higher epic levels), dispelling shot, and inferno shot. From there you wan the ninja spy points to get shadow fade, enough points in KoTC to get divine might and rest in deepwood and race. AA cant go wrong really just a matter of preference. IF you go fighter over pally, you will find the enhancements useless on an AA FYI.

Thank you for the reply.

I am unsure why you find the extra feat from fighter unneeded. I certainly seem to have used every feat and even wanted more.
Cleave, G. Cleave, OC, PA, Dodge
ZA, Precision, 10k, PBS, IC: Ranged, WF: Ranged, IPS, Power Crit, CA
and I even would have liked to take Grand Master as well but was out of feat.

I am also curious why you find the enhancements from Kensai useless.
Weapon Group, Haste Boost and possibly others look decent enough.

Mind, I am not saying that Divine Might could not be better - only that fighter /2 does seem to offer something as well.

jskinner937
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I am unsure why you find the extra feat from fighter unneeded. I certainly seem to have used every feat and even wanted more.
Cleave, G. Cleave, OC, PA, Dodge
ZA, Precision, 10k, PBS, IC: Ranged, WF: Ranged, IPS, Power Crit, CA
and I even would have liked to take Grand Master as well but was out of feat.

I am also curious why you find the enhancements from Kensai useless.
Weapon Group, Haste Boost and possibly others look decent enough.

Mind, I am not saying that Divine Might could not be better - only that fighter /2 does seem to offer something as well.

WF: Ranged is no longer required for AA and Dodge is not needed at all for Ninja Spy. Now compare that to Divine Grace, Divine Might, Damage Boost and Slayer of Evil.

Also on a side note, unless you have access to +5 tomes, you are going to likely have to choose between CA or OWC. I have a completionist with +5 dex and str and find it very easy to fit in, however on a build without at least access to +5 tomes, you will have to give a lot of WIS and STR to get both. Remember for a monkcher, you want a min of 40 WIS. Also Master of Earth gives you the most bang for your buck since GM gives no extra crit x.

RumbIe
10-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I see people go Paladin for 2 lvls, but why over cleric? Cleric you get Empower for cocoon. Through WP you get divine might at tier 1 (paladin is tier 2), Inflame, righteous weapons, wall of steel if you want more PRR. Through RS you get wand and scroll mastery at tier 1.

jskinner937
10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
I see people go Paladin for 2 lvls, but why over cleric? Cleric you get Empower for cocoon. Through WP you get divine might at tier 1 (paladin is tier 2), Inflame, righteous weapons, wall of steel if you want more PRR. Through RS you get wand and scroll mastery at tier 1.

Not saying cleric isn't another bad option (along with fighter or arty), just saying paladin really has the best benefits IMO.

1st Cocoon is already good enough to heal without empower healing so why spend another feat. Might be a good option if human and have a feat to spare.
2nd The single most effective defensive measure on a monkcher is saves. This is the stuff that kills you. So although padding dodge or having extra PPR is nice, for EE soloing, I prefer the +10 from saves I get from my CHA bonus.
3rd Inflame as far as I can tell is either broke or not stacking. When I tested, I seen no bonus, and I think I even read a post that it does not work.
4th I would love to have W&SM, but still not necessary. I use cocoon for the majority of my healing, but if in trouble, I will back up with scrolls and the healing is still sufficient even in the worst case sscenarios.
5th DM KoTC and DM WP are not exactly the same. KOTC uses otherwise useless turns instead of SP. Win, win there.
6th Plus with pally you get Slayer of Evil and Damage Boost.

mikarddo
10-28-2013, 06:09 PM
WF: Ranged is no longer required for AA and Dodge is not needed at all for Ninja Spy. Now compare that to Divine Grace, Divine Might, Damage Boost and Slayer of Evil.

Also on a side note, unless you have access to +5 tomes, you are going to likely have to choose between CA or OWC. I have a completionist with +5 dex and str and find it very easy to fit in, however on a build without at least access to +5 tomes, you will have to give a lot of WIS and STR to get both. Remember for a monkcher, you want a min of 40 WIS. Also Master of Earth gives you the most bang for your buck since GM gives no extra crit x.

Thank you for the reply. Thats exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

WF Ranged is a prereq for Power Crit as far as I can tell. As per http://ddowiki.com/page/Power_Critical. Is that incorrect or do you simply suggest dropping Power Critical as a feat?
Dodge I am taking simply because its nice not as a prereq for anything else. But its possible I could do without. Good insight on GM.

I do have +5 tomes all around so thats not an issue and obviously a 36 pts build though with only caster past lives.

jskinner937
10-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Thank you for the reply. Thats exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

WF Ranged is a prereq for Power Crit as far as I can tell. As per http://ddowiki.com/page/Power_Critical. Is that incorrect or do you simply suggest dropping Power Critical as a feat?
Dodge I am taking simply because its nice not as a prereq for anything else. But its possible I could do without. Good insight on GM.

I do have +5 tomes all around so thats not an issue and obviously a 36 pts build though with only caster past lives.

If +5 tomes, definitely go OWC and CA then. You will get the most bang for your buck if you try to round out STR, WIS and DEX accordingly then....possible STR 16 (+5 tome +2 lvl) DEX 16 (+5 tome) WIS (16 +5 tome +5 lvl) 26 (want this to be min 40 for 10k stars so need great item and some help from enh and EDs) and CON 14.

Power Crit is meh as a feat. +2 to crit damage is not very impressive which will give you +18 max damage on a furied crit.

Dodge is nice, but again I mentioned earlier that your biggest defensive measure on a full-time AA is saves. As a full-time ranged toon, you are avoiding most of the incoming damage anyways so dodge is not as necessary as on a melee. Take it if you go human though and have a feat to spare, but what will kill you is getting helpless, if you are playing it right.

mikarddo
10-29-2013, 01:56 AM
If +5 tomes, definitely go OWC and CA then. You will get the most bang for your buck if you try to round out STR, WIS and DEX accordingly then....possible STR 16 (+5 tome +2 lvl) DEX 16 (+5 tome) WIS (16 +5 tome +5 lvl) 26 (want this to be min 40 for 10k stars so need great item and some help from enh and EDs) and CON 14.

Power Crit is meh as a feat. +2 to crit damage is not very impressive which will give you +18 max damage on a furied crit.

Dodge is nice, but again I mentioned earlier that your biggest defensive measure on a full-time AA is saves. As a full-time ranged toon, you are avoiding most of the incoming damage anyways so dodge is not as necessary as on a melee. Take it if you go human though and have a feat to spare, but what will kill you is getting helpless, if you are playing it right.

Thanks again, I much appreciate the advice.

I guess I will drop WF: Ranged and Power Crit then.

For stats I may be overreaching but I went with Str 16 + 2 lvl + 5 tome = 23 for OWC, Dex 16, Con 14 + 2 lvl + 5 tome = 21 for Epic Toughness at level 27 and Wis 16 + 3 lvl up + 5 tome.

One more question, if i may. How do you manage to get enough ki? Mostly for 10k stars, but preferably also for Leap of Faith and other stuff I dont really know what might be. Is the +1 ki from getting hit in Master Earth stance enough or do I need to switch to fire and melee often to have enough?

jskinner937
10-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks again, I much appreciate the advice.

I guess I will drop WF: Ranged and Power Crit then.

For stats I may be overreaching but I went with Str 16 + 2 lvl + 5 tome = 23 for OWC, Dex 16, Con 14 + 2 lvl + 5 tome = 21 for Epic Toughness at level 27 and Wis 16 + 3 lvl up + 5 tome.

One more question, if i may. How do you manage to get enough ki? Mostly for 10k stars, but preferably also for Leap of Faith and other stuff I dont really know what might be. Is the +1 ki from getting hit in Master Earth stance enough or do I need to switch to fire and melee often to have enough?

Yeah going for ET will stretch your WIS score too low. No point really going monkcher IMHO unless investing in WIS and getting to 40 for chance at 3 procs. Plus wisdom will allow you to retain more ki.

As far as ki generation you have some options and getting hit is not a good option IMO:

1.) With high WIS, you can select an isolated enemy and stun him with a set of good stunners (you will need stunning fist for this) and beat him silly until yellow bar full. This will give you enough ki to last a quest usually.
2.) Switch to Master of Oceans and you generate ki +1 until hit Wisdom score.
3.) Twist in Enlightenment from GM ED and you passively generate ki +1 until hit Wisdom score.
4.) Tier 1 from Henshin animal form Way of the Tenacious Badger you generate passively + 1 ki until hit Wisdom score when below 50% health. Again not my favorite.
(note 2,3 & 4 can be combined and stacked)

Also I have not noticed the increase in 1W damage with a bow from Tenacious Badger at tier 3, so not sure about that or not.