PDA

View Full Version : I REALLY want this war with Lolth to have a end.

knightgf
10-24-2013, 09:45 PM
I have to admit, exploring the forgotten realms is pretty cool. In particular, I REALLY love the underdark; it reminds me of the Avernum series. However, I believe the reason the majority of us adventurers came to the Forgotten Realms is because the Spinner of Shadows broke free, and tore a hole in our world that would have eventually swallowed it up had we not intervened. Unfortunately, I believe that this goal has been forgotten, and needs to be reinforced. Through at least two adventure (Or call them expansions, if you really want) packs, I would like to see the following goal satisfied:

Kill, or at least banish both The Spinner of Shadows and Lolth from interfering in Eberron ever again.

How would I like this goal to be satisfied? I'll put a few more bullet notes to make it short and sweet:

The adventure packs should be diverse and sweet, just like 2/3's of the Menace of the Underdark pack. Most of them are moderately challenging, but throwing in a easy one is a nice break. They should revolve around finding ways to strike back at Lolth and the Spinner of Shadows. Some ideas for setting can include the capital city of Cormyr, a mages tower, a desert, the lake that the capital city is located near, exc. One quest could even involve stopping a epic flesh golem!
The major protagonists in the game should play more of a supporting role. We, the players, are the heroes that make things happen! Sure, Elminister is powerful, as is Anna, but we hate it when they take credit for work they could have done, or take credit for 'preventing' something bad from happening to the players when its always the case. If you want a example of a supportive NPC that doesn't get in the way, play Bioshock: Infinite. You guys are aware that you were mentioned in the special thanks of the credits, right?
A named item every now and then that caters to a specific class is always nice. In addition, items that all classes could benefit from are also nice if limited. Try coming up with a epic version of the Minos Legens for example, or make a epic version of a ioun stone.
There will be raids! There is the main one, which consists of an attempt to banish or kill Lolth and The Spinner of Shadows. This one should be unique because it should have multiple endings, voted on by the majority of the party. During your raid, you will come across a powerful artifact. The party can either vote to destroy it, which makes the endboss battle easier, or they can keep it, which will make the endboss battle harder but increase the chance of getting named loot, which on epic elite, is a guarantee for every player. In addition, should the party be on the verge of wiping, and the boss is at 25%, the party can choose to have Elminster sacrifice himself (At a penalty to the players) or a player to sacrifice themselves by being a conduit for the final blow (Which results in that player NOT getting raid loot or XP but completing the raid without penalty, and maybe without a timer, idk).
Because of multiple and varied playthroughs, a player can choose the 'canon' of their choices in a NPC dialogue upon the quest that takes places after the final raid, provided they unlocked it.
Other raids that are included should be unique as well, though not as annoying as the raid in MotU, and choice should take part as long as it isn't annoying.

Thoughts?

Saravis
10-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Didn't Loth and the Spinner merge?

Well if we do fight Loth again, I'd like to have the fight be more involved than tickling her bellybutton like she's the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Substitutename
10-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Didn't Loth and the Spinner merge?

Well if we do fight Loth again, I'd like to have the fight be more involved than tickling her bellybutton like she's the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Definite agreement there. We might as well have been biting her on the feet while she slept. Now that she's moderately annoyed at the pc's instead of finding us laughable, maybe she'll put up a real fight next time.

Also, as the resident mentor archetype character, Elminster needs to be killed off, or otherwise believably and permanently incapacitated. No good writer makes the mentor-side-character more important than the main character. And the pc's ARE the main characters. It's time for the old wizard to take a dive.

Saravis
10-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Also, as the resident mentor archetype character, Elminster needs to be killed off, or otherwise believably and permanently incapacitated. No good writer makes the mentor-side-character more important than the main character. And the pc's ARE the main characters. It's time for the old wizard to take a dive.

And Ana too, every time I run CitW, I just think to myself how much better that end would be if Loth just went and flicked her off the edge.

Hawkwier
10-25-2013, 03:27 AM
And Ana too, every time I run CitW, I just think to myself how much better that end would be if Loth just went and flicked her off the edge.

Yeah, or at least get her to say "deluge" properly.

That would be a start. :)