PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Monks

EssenceofEvil
10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
I was thinking of trying a warforged shintao monk next life, but I was wondering if the weapon attachment and their improved power attack is worth the healing penalty? I figured the warforged tactics enhancment could make up for the lack of wisdom and the shintao natural healing amp would help make up for it.

TPICKRELL
10-21-2013, 11:44 AM
My main is a WF light monk and has been for a few years. I am very happy with him. BUT I would not recommend it if you are starting a new monk.

The upsides of WF are small in today's game, and the healing amp penalty is a major issue. WF monks are also at a big disadvantage in gearing, as named docents are very lacking in comparison to robes.

If you really want a WF monk, it can work well, but it takes a lot more investment and a lot more compromises to make it shine than a comparable fleshy monk. My current thinking is to take my main Bladeforged with an iconic TR and then an LR+1 to get back to pure monk after U20. Picking up the RECON spell as an emergency heal may shift the balance quite a bit.

EssenceofEvil
10-21-2013, 12:02 PM
It would be her fourth life.. now I don't have much for monk equipment[ especially docents], but thats ok I like to look for certain things when I TR and not start with ALL my gear ready in hand in my TR bank. It will be her second monk life as she is a monk/henshin right now and more levels leaning towards monk at the end. her previous lives will be bard, artificer, and then monk.

I just been throwing ideas in my head on how i want to do her second monk life. I was first thinking some sort of ninja spy dex based, but then I was looking over the enhancements and was reminded of the warforged weapon attachment and figured.. I want to do a monk, but a different monk!.

EssenceofEvil
10-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Does Fists of light heal a warforged monk with regular positive healing or repair healing when I'm punching the guy in the face to death?

Meat-Head
10-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't get WF monks at all...

Want con and tactics? Roll a dorf and make your life easier.

TPICKRELL
10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Does Fists of light heal a warforged monk with regular positive healing or repair healing when I'm punching the guy in the face to death?

Its regular positive healing. Which is the better choice for a monk, since its pretty easy to get even a WF monk above 100% healing amp.

inspiredunease
10-21-2013, 12:16 PM
...the healing amp penalty is a major issue.

This.

WF monks are also at a big disadvantage in gearing, as named docents are very lacking in comparison to robes.

Not so much this. Personally I think you have a nice progression of fairly easily farmable docents: blademarks -> gorgon docent -> plain black dragonscale -> quorforged -> ancient gemstone (suns souled) -> stone heart (sun souled) -> FBDS.

My current thinking is to take my main Bladeforged with an iconic TR and then an LR+1 to get back to pure monk after U20. Picking up the RECON spell as an emergency heal may shift the balance quite a bit.

I'm really looking forward to this, and will probably try it out. Are you thinking of splashing it at all? I'm not seeing it as an emergency heal, but an alternative to coccoon. Two wizzy levels for full repair ranks + free quicken, maybe some of the eldritch knight enhancements, two fighter for more tactics DCs and sprint boost. Could be quite tasty. Will **** off every healer in range though, but isn't that the point of WF melees? :D

whereispowderedsilve
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Go Bladeforged & get the reconstruct SLA *IMO* *YMMV*

TPICKRELL
10-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Not so much this. Personally I think you have a nice progression of fairly easily farmable docents: blademarks -> gorgon docent -> plain black dragonscale -> quorforged -> ancient gemstone (suns souled) -> stone heart (sun souled) -> FBDS.

I don't see the stone heart as any way comparable to the Spider Spun which is the robe equivalent for a monk:

Stone Heart + 8 Stat (random), Resist 6, Prot 6, Vitality 20

versus

Spider Spun +8 or +3 Insight Stat, Enhanced Ki, Reinforced Fists, Concentration 15, Vitality 20

No insightful 3 stat option, no reinforced fists and no enhanced ki are not overcome by resist 6 and prot 6 especially since resist is covered in all my gear sets by a higher number resist item.

EssenceofEvil
10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Can I TR into an iconic yet? I'm still lvl 14 right now, I thought that was in the next update or something. I haven't played in a couple days due to moving places.

TPICKRELL
10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Can I TR into an iconic yet? I'm still lvl 14 right now, I thought that was in the next update or something. I haven't played in a couple days due to moving places.It's coming with Update 20. Release date not announced, but supposed to be late this calendar year.

inspiredunease
10-21-2013, 02:26 PM
No insightful 3 stat option, no reinforced fists and no enhanced ki are not overcome by resist 6 and prot 6 especially since resist is covered in all my gear sets by a higher number resist item.

True, but it's such a short gap between there and 25 that it doesn't make that much difference. Would be nice if the upgrade to sun soul set also gave you at least some class-appropriate benefit.

Cloista
10-29-2013, 07:45 AM
My WF Monk is wearing the Livewood Core for the Insightful Wis/Con, it's a very nice docent. I'll be TRing him into a Bladeforged for the Recon SLAalso,once U20 drops, it's far too good an option to ignore IMO.