PDA

View Full Version : Almost time for my rogue life

Jingwei
10-21-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm coming up on my rogue life and am wondering if making a monkrobat is worth it as opposed to the normal wis based stunning fist + hamp build I normally use.

I do have a breeze and a dreamspitter and could pretty easily get a 3pos staff.

My main question is, is a monkrobat sufficiently fun and different from the standard bare handed stunning fist hamp build?

I could go str focused for stunning blow DC, and have cleave and great cleave, but this misses out on all the dex synergy from acrobat. Does improved trip add to the DC of the active trip attack in the acrobat tree? Is whirlwind attack with a staff broken?

karl_k0ch
11-01-2013, 04:20 AM
I think that Acrobats are fun. A cap, they are behind TWF and unarmed, but while leveling they are at least competitive.

Breeze is an outstanding weapon which justifies going DEX-based (all other staves will have dex to hit and dex to damage via enhancements). Before being able to wield breeze, these are other outstanding staves: Chieftains Spear (level 4-7), Theurgic Stave (level 8-13). Imho, getting your hands on a +1 Holy of Undead Bane (cannith crafted) is very helpful as well.

The cookie cutter option for a rogue PL would probably be something between 19 Rog/1 Monk and 13 Rog/6 Monk/1 Fgt or FVS with stunning blow, especially if you have a large array of Handwraps for TRing purposes already, and possibly some Fighter lives as well.

Todkaninchen
11-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm coming up on my rogue life and am wondering if making a monkrobat is worth it as opposed to the normal wis based stunning fist + hamp build I normally use.

I do have a breeze and a dreamspitter and could pretty easily get a 3pos staff.

My main question is, is a monkrobat sufficiently fun and different from the standard bare handed stunning fist hamp build?

I could go str focused for stunning blow DC, and have cleave and great cleave, but this misses out on all the dex synergy from acrobat. Does improved trip add to the DC of the active trip attack in the acrobat tree? Is whirlwind attack with a staff broken?

Just to point out for those who read this and don't know...

Unlike a lot of the other basic (non-ninja spy) monk stuff, stunning fist will not work with a stave. All the elementals work, quivering palm works, etc. but stunning fist, vorpal from the ninja spy capstone, and ninja poison (after the last update, even on staves like Rahl's Might that says piercing or slashing on them) do not work with staves.

Ironically, Fists of Iron DOES work... (one of the special elemental attacks that adds to base damage, crit range, and crit multiplier). 5ki to use, 3 second cooldown...

Jingwei
11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Yes I already have a bunch of handwraps, pajamas, etc for the standard monk 6/ some ofter stuff tr build. But I've had a breeze and a dreamspitter forever, and this might be my only chance to get some real use out of them.

I'm just wondering about stuff like the utility of acrobat trip attack vs stunning fist.