PDA

View Full Version : Healing Dervish?

Javoryn
10-19-2013, 06:49 PM
I've been toying with the idea of TRing my caster fvs into a melee oriented one for two reasons:
-Mainly because my primary goal is being an excellent healer and melee is so much easier on the mana bar. It's hard to justify throwing firestorms and implosions around when you're the main healer and the wizard can probably do better.
-DCs are rough even with past lives.

So, here's what I want to achieve.
- Excellent heals. That is concern #1
- Reliable damage output without burning mana like a fool, but this is not a dps build.
- Not get oneshot by random cleaves if I'm going to be close up.

I think FVS 18/ PLD 2 looks really good. (+CHA to all saves for such a small splash, seriously?)
So here's a flavor build I've come up with.

34pts
STR 11 (+2 tome)
DEX 17
CON 15 (+2 tome)
INT 8 (+2 tome)
WIS 8
CHA 16

Elf. Yes, Elf.

1) Healing will be fine; wisdom is irrelevant.
2) Damage: As an Elf I get to use dex for hit & damage with scimitars, and get bonuses with them. As an elf follower of the Undying Court, I get tremendous bonuses with them. Yay synergy. If I get to use dex for my melee rolls, I can also get all the TWF feats.
3) Survivability: As an Elf I can get displacement for one feat and as a Fvs I can get blurry and passives from Warpriest. High saves (Charisma!), quickened heals. Should be okay.

It would look something like this.

Power attack (It's going to suck before I get Grace from the elf tree, but hey my first life was a caster, so been there. Grab a barb hireling.)
Two weapon fighting
Cleave (Because I'm going to need at least some AoE)
Improved two weapon fighting
Quicken (because screw heal interrupts and wasting mana and dying)
Dragonmark (flavor and displacement)
GCleave/Improved Crit/GTWF/Toughness? Let me know what you think.

Empower healing seems unnecessary with 18 FVS levels.
Points in Heal and Balance. Levels in Dex.
Spell selection: healing variety = buffs > offense

Final thoughts:
I quite like the idea of a melee favored soul being all nimble and speedy and blurry with twin swords, especially now that we have such a thing as Elven Grace, but if the whole dex+scimitar thing is just not working, I can go strength and grab greatswords. also fine.
Could drop 2 FvS levels for monk or fighter (feats) but I would lose wings and mass heal which is quite a blow.

Replliw
10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
I can see the synergies in this build and the flavour smells nice. Though I do have some questions and suggestions (don't listen to him, deep inside he is a racist minmaxer!).

Going all dex could work, because it would increase reflex save, AC bonus and serve as damage modifier, even though you would still use strength for to-hit bonus. And with new AC system, hitting things ain't hard. On the other hand, getting higher strength is easier than getting higher dex (hmm, I don't know what to say, I may be wrong).

On the other hand, you could go with strength based human ( there we go, I was right) with khopeshes and enjoy the Divine might benefits. You would not get any racial and religious bonuses to weapon damage, but you can get something else with those APs and enjoy 17-20/x3 critical profile. That would mean getting displacement from GS clickies or scrolls or as a guard on an item. So, you would lose flavour. Healing amplification with those Ameliorating strikes and action boosts are nice though (don't listen to him or one day you will find yourself playing as half elf).

Empower healing is not necessary for heroic questing, though if you plan to get to Renewal and Regenerative Cocoon, you might want to consider it.

As for Cleave and AoE, cleave uses only main hand damage for that, so it's not gonna be spectacular. I say, forget cleaving and get Improved crit and GTWF. When you need to kill things in batches, Bladebarrier and Epic destiny abilities will be there for you.

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with nimble elf FvS idea, I am just suggesting more options to choose from (Lies! He is sitting on a throne of lies and judging you! Be your own man- go raze a city, explode mountains, roll a pure bard or program in Basic! Just don't listen to him!).

Javoryn
10-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Good points.
It seems even with all the new options for dexterity-based melee, it still falls behind strength.

I think I will get the minimum for TWF feats and focus on strength.

unbongwah
10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
As much as I like Divine Grace, I think for what you want the classic FvS 18 / monk 2 would be better; two extra feats would let you squeeze in, say, Extend (double Displacement duration) and Emp Heal or more melee feats. Elven Warpriest using scimitars w/Ameliorating Strike + Wrathful Weapons could be interesting.

BTW, does anyone know if the dmg from Divine Vessel can cause Just Reward to proc?

ArcaneArcher52689
10-22-2013, 02:19 PM
As much as I like Divine Grace, I think for what you want the classic FvS 18 / monk 2 would be better; two extra feats would let you squeeze in, say, Extend (double Displacement duration) and Emp Heal or more melee feats. Elven Warpriest using scimitars w/Ameliorating Strike + Wrathful Weapons could be interesting.

BTW, does anyone know if the dmg from Divine Vessel can cause Just Reward to proc?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I've seen it proc the 10 spell points. Would also make sense, as it's affected by spell power