PDA

View Full Version : Henshin Or Shintao Tierr 5 Enhancements - What to Choose???

Taters214
10-19-2013, 01:59 PM
So I'm staring at henshin and shintao tier 5 enhancements, and I'm not sure which is better. I'm not very experienced with a monk, so advise and reasoning for that advise would be appreciated greatly.

The monk I'm building is a pure 20 handwrap user, enough STR for overwhelming critical, and maxing WIS for stunning fist DC. Full TWF line. Probably the same stuff as most other monks...

Henshin is looks good because
Void Strike - I like the extra force damage, and I like the "erased from existence" on vorpals, but I can't find anything about the DC for the instakill part. I assume there is a DC related to it... However, I hate the sink of 8 AP in the (largely) worthless prerequisites. I know I could use those 8 AP elsewhere...
Every Light Casts a Candle - Giving negs to mobs seems very very nice...

Shintao looks good because
Empty handed mastery - I'll be using wraps, so obviously gaining a die is good.
Meditation of War - looks nice once the penalties no longer apply
Kukan-Do - another way to stun might be nice, though it uses CHA mod, so nevermind. This is probably worthless.
Rise of the Phoenix - resurrection for free, nice
Violence Begets violence - might be useful

I think as I list this out and think about it, I'm thinking Shintao would be better. Can any monk gurus out there confirm?

Thanks!

Mimmo
10-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Henshin - Every Light Casts a Shadow... is broken for my toon. It gives my allies neg levels too. Bug reported. I would avoid that unless you can freely hand out Deathward :D

SensaiRyu
10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
I did the Shintao line and am very happy with it. I took Henshin up to the +ki regen and Ninja Spy up to Shadow Veil.

Didn't take Kukan this time and have seen others use Jade Tomb quite a bit. I prefer the ki regen and veil over those two attacks. If I didn't have Cleric Dillys I'd take more of the Shintao line.

HastyPudding
10-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Kukan-Do is far from worthless. Even with a simple +8 CHA item, it still has a pretty nice DC. And it's ranged and has no limit on that range, so you can spot a mob 100000 feet away and as long as you have line of sight, you can stun them. What's different is that this is a will save, so it works wonders on high fortitude/strength enemies in which stunning blow might have difficulty landing.

ZzpxpzZ
10-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Hanshin is basically very quarterstaff focused so if you are going unarmed you will be spending a lot of useless enhancement points to get there.

Don't get me wrong, its not a bad tree, with a small rogue splash and the right staffs a Hanshin quarterstaff build is very nice DPS. But it is not unarmed if you are set on that.

Monks are amazing splashes now, but if you are going deep monk they break down pretty clearly where you want deep Shintao if you are unarmed, Henshin if you go qstaffs, and Ninja Spy as a splash for either of the other two for incorporealiry, or deep only if you are a masochist.

solacerodgers
11-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Check ninjaspy also the shadow double plus haste boost and dmg boost if you qualify is some of the best burst dps imo. Secondly I like the mystic as void strike is nice pure dmg even if erased dose not proc ( no save fyi just has to be vorpal) and shadows can not exist without light base 100 heal egery 6 seconds aoe is nice. My monk a 15/3/2 build gets about 170 off the heal and it dosnt matter who gets the kill. Also passive +1 ki gen is nice.