PDA

View Full Version : Shield Deflection - A standin for Evasion?

Xianio
10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a pure Fighter and while I'll be very tough against physical damage, I expect elemental damage to be a significant problem.

So, in an effort to mitigate for this I'm considering getting Shield Deflection to gain a 40% chance to completely ignore elemental effects, while blocking.

This leaves me with 3 initial questions -

1) If I "tumble" forward while shield blocking, am I still blocking during that small hop? ie: Would Shield Deflection work for this?
2) Is the Shield Deflection description accurate? It reads that it gives you a % chance to COMPLETELY ignore elemental damage. I just don't want to get it to find out that "completely ignore" really means completely ignore the % of the damage stated in the description.
3) Do high level elemental damage spells often give out audio/visual queues so that I'll have time to block some of these huge nukes? Currently, at level 4 the majority of elemental spells are nearly instant and come with no audio warning.

However, I did the Inlet quest on elite and the Kobold cook used what I assume to be Icestorm which I could have thrown up a block for. Do other higher level spells act more liek this or more like melf's/MM/scorchers?

Ralmeth
10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
I know this is a couple of weeks late, but I took the Shield Deflection feat recently just to test it out and it is very underwhelming. It is difficult to time a shield block to take advantage due to the game engine. A lot of times when you see a spell cast at you, you're in the middle of a swing, so because your attack animation is going on, as well as the delay in time for the game to register your shield block and the time it takes for your character to block, in most cases you won't block in time. I plan on practicing with it a little further, but I will most likely swap it out soon. To answer your questions:

1) No idea. I don't tumble in combat typically.
2) If you shield block in time, then yes, you block a % of the elemental damage, with the % based on the shield type. This does work, but only if you block in time.
3) Quite often there is a visual cue, but again you are typically swinging away and won't be able to block in time, or you want to continue attacking the monster in front of you and don't want to stop attacking just to shield block. It's quite often better to soak up the spell damage so you can maintain your DPS. If you are in an enemy spell with an area of effect, it's better just to run out of the area of effect.

Steelstar
10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi all,
1) If I "tumble" forward while shield blocking, am I still blocking during that small hop? ie: Would Shield Deflection work for this?
2) Is the Shield Deflection description accurate? It reads that it gives you a % chance to COMPLETELY ignore elemental damage. I just don't want to get it to find out that "completely ignore" really means completely ignore the % of the damage stated in the description.
3) Do high level elemental damage spells often give out audio/visual queues so that I'll have time to block some of these huge nukes? Currently, at level 4 the majority of elemental spells are nearly instant and come with no audio warning.

1) Yes, you still get the benefits of Shield Deflection while tumbling with a shield. If you take the feat, you'll notice an icon appearing in your buff bar while blocking; if you see this icon, the effects of Shield Deflection are active.

2) Yes, the benefit is a percentage chance to completely ignore the incoming damage. As an example: If a Fire Elemental were sitting still, firing Fireball spells at you, and you were actively blocking with a Tower shield, 40% of those fireballs would be ignored as if they never hit you.

3) It varies depending on the spell and who's casting it.

FuzzyDuck81
10-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Can be a lifesaver in some places, especially FoT raid.. a flat % chance is pretty sweet when your reflex saves have been debuffed into rubbish.

EllisDee37
10-28-2013, 03:49 PM
However, I did the Inlet quest on elite and the Kobold cook used what I assume to be Icestorm which I could have thrown up a block for.For ice storm in particular the shield effect may provide unexpected results because part of ice storm's damage is untyped, not elemental.

Ralmeth
10-29-2013, 02:25 PM
1) Yes, you still get the benefits of Shield Deflection while tumbling with a shield. If you take the feat, you'll notice an icon appearing in your buff bar while blocking; if you see this icon, the effects of Shield Deflection are active.

Thanks for clarifying! This feat has just become a lot more interesting to me. It wasn't clear to me that shield deflection was active while you were shield blocking & performing an action (ex. casting a spell). I hadn't tested it yet, but my initial thought is that if you weren't ducked down behind your shield it wouldn't work. However I tested this out last night and was pleasantly surprised to see that the shield deflection icon remains active during an action (ex. casting a spell). Nice:)