PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Server Downtime: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Tuesday, October 8

Tolero
10-08-2013, 01:57 PM
The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Tuesday, October 8th from 3:00 - 5:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for a hotfix. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

Please note that more investigations will continue after the hotfix.

Shaatan
10-08-2013, 01:59 PM
I think someone doesn't really understand the meaning of word "scheduled" lol.

Mephisto-Helix
10-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Could I get some of this investigation time for my 2 missing bags from a year ago and my Greensteel Greatsword that vanished about 2 months ago?

........ prolly not eh?

Tinman.pl
They "scheduled" it a hour ago :p

Chaimberland

signed

Pantronic
10-08-2013, 02:02 PM
*facepalm* Couldn't they do this yesterday when there was actually SCHEDULED maintenance?

Dandonk
10-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Scheduled??? Umm. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

darthhento
10-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Could I get some of this investigation time for my 2 missing bags from a year ago and my Greensteel Greatsword that vanished about 2 months ago?

I'd like some investigation of my 40th VoN completion endreward list while they're at it also.

Opensezame
10-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Any idea of what will be happening yet or too early?

toaftoaf
10-08-2013, 02:06 PM
*facepalm* Couldn't they do this yesterday when there was actually SCHEDULED maintenance?

that would mean they would have needed someone to tell them about it... wait we did

Nestroy
10-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Well, this time I do not know if I am happy they hotfix the AH or if I am to cry because it again hits the sparse playing time I have a day...

And again my usual question for digestion by the lions in here: What will get broken again with this hotfix?

ZeebaNeighba
Might wanna throw on a launcher announcement, for the people who aren't on the forums.

Edit: Ok, it's there now.

Grizzie
I guess scheduled in this case means that its an official planned server down as opposed to a crash.

HedgeHogShadow
10-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Might wanna throw on a launcher announcement, for the people who aren't on the forums.

Yeah, I didn't even get a message in game until 9 seconds :( But they did put a launcher announcement, (I went back & checked) but mine never shows up unless I scroll up.

Nascoe
10-08-2013, 02:10 PM
I'd like some investigation of my 40th VoN completion endreward list while they're at it also.

I do think I saw a post from Glin that they were working on that too, yeah.

EDIT: sorry, that was info from Tolero - https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/427431-Shard-Exchange-Temporarily-Unavailable?p=5125054&viewfull=1#post5125054

AzB
10-08-2013, 02:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing. But most likely case is that they just came up with the fix today.

The next assumption would be "why not postpone yesterday's maintenance until the fix was ready (today) and combine them?"

The answer to that is several factors. First off, they might not have had any idea that the fix would come today or even have been working on a fix. Additionally, they may have very poor communicative skills between departments (a common problem) and the left hand had no idea that the right hand was almost done with a fix.

Or maybe it's just because yesterday's scheduled maintenance really was scheduled and today's scheduled maintenance was a surprise to everyone.

Bottom line, it's way easier to armchair quarterback a more efficient anything. I'm sure they're doing their best. Bless their hearts.

rprust1
10-08-2013, 02:11 PM
If its a Hot Fix that would imply the problem is already known. So why not just put what the down time is for in this post? I dont get it!

omeganeg1
10-08-2013, 02:12 PM

........ prolly not eh?

Also, I still don't have my epic GH map opened.

Zibowskij
10-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I guess scheduled in this case means that its an official planned server down as opposed to a crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkwfkU0hRZM

Grosbeak07
10-08-2013, 02:14 PM
The next assumption would be "why not postpone yesterday's maintenance until the fix was ready (today) and combine them?"

Because that downtime was not only DDO, but all Turbine games.

Krelar
10-08-2013, 02:17 PM

This has always been Turbine's definition of scheduled. They've even posted to that effect in the past. (although not recently that I can recall)

Phaeton_Seraph
10-08-2013, 02:17 PM

In this case they simply want it clear that this is intentional downtime and not a surprise to them.

rest
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM
As glad as I am to finally see Tolero coming onto the forums, it sucks that it took this to get her here.

ClanSandyfoot
10-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Pretty funny server went down just after we killed a snake lady she-devil. Two epic chests died there.Well sorta 3 but the 3rd was heroic at best

burningwind
10-08-2013, 02:33 PM
i hope you guys are fixing some of the bug with this down time... i hope its worth it..

dunklezhan
10-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Honestly the one time I think to check twitter... and there's nothing there.

Are we on course for game access in 25 mins or so do we know?

EDIT: darn. It's going to be an HOUR and (now) 20 mins, isn't it? -4GMT and we're still on summertime in the UK which is, sigh, +1GMT. Boo!

AZgreentea
10-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure they know the meaning of the word scheduled.

sched·uled sched·ul·ing

: to appoint, assign, or designate for a fixed time

a : to place in a schedule
b : to make a schedule of

Steiner-Davion
10-08-2013, 02:50 PM
If its a Hot Fix that would imply the problem is already known. So why not just put what the down time is for in this post? I dont get it!

1 word: E*******T

Bowmagus
10-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Honestly the one time I think to check twitter... and there's nothing there.

It seems like twitter is a forgotten communication resource. Showing last post as Oct 2nd?

Ashlayna
10-08-2013, 03:07 PM
It seems like twitter is a forgotten communication resource. Showing last post as Oct 2nd?

It sure sucks to be in Turbine's shoes. When they used Twitter for stuff, people complained that they needed to use their own forums. Now they use their own forums, and people complain that they didn't use Twitter. It's not wonder so many people are claiming to be unhappy, they can't make up their own minds what they want, how is Turbine supposed to cater to them?

erystelle1972
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Scheduled??? Umm. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Any body what a peanut?

Enoach
10-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I understand the use of "Scheduled" what I don't understand is why I saw a "World Announcement" 50 minutes prior to the downtime, a Post on the forum doesn't appear until 3 minutes before the downtime and Twitter is silent...

This was known at least for 50 minutes by someone.

As far as the schedule maintenance yesterday vs. the hot fix today. This makes sense to me to keep them separated. One was most likely Hardware/Network related while today's hot fix is software. In any system you want as few points of failure as possible and doing both a hardware and software maintenance together is just asking for Murphy's Law to be entered in the mix.

Look forward to the Hot Fix reducing all the sky is falling threads (for at least this issue)...

Pomdude
10-08-2013, 03:21 PM
It was Khyber. They have all confessed. Close their world - nothing to see and get the game back open please.

Dj_Fisty
10-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Why do I even bother trying to find out what the downtime is even for.........

Meaning that they never post about the meaning behind it before hand. Guess we shouldn't bother reading forums or Facebook or twitter during these events.

Jatner
10-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Blame Canada!

Zibowskij
10-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Blame Canada!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQhuzzG5Bv0

brzytki
10-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Why do I even bother trying to find out what the downtime is even for.........

Guess you haven't been on the forums lately. Or browsing AH. Or ASAH.

Stoner81
10-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Servers are back up.

Stoner81.

the1bigun
10-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Damn, beaten to the punch!

Missing_Minds
10-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Just like some managers want the unscheduled down time on the schedule calendar.

I wish I was joking.

Powskier
10-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Since hotfix,having problems staying logged...login works 1st time (mostly) whole screen dissappears w/o warning ;3 x so far. Ill try l8r

Kalamon
10-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Since hotfix,having problems staying logged...login works 1st time (mostly) whole screen dissappears w/o warning ;3 x so far. Ill try l8r

Can't get past "Installing Pre-reqs". Anyone else having issues?

Missing_Minds
10-08-2013, 07:49 PM
The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Tuesday, October 8th from 3:00 - 5:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for a hotfix. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

People assume the launcher will CORRECTLY show the most recent posts.

Given the fact that the launcher has a farking huge history there, AND shows the MIDDLE of it...

did you seriously think people were going to see ANY launcher announcement?

Paps
10-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Has anyone login in yet ? I am stuck at Installing Pre-reqs

Kalamon
10-08-2013, 08:08 PM

And now I even uninstalled the game and am trying to download it again, but it keeps telling me, while on DDO's site, that I'm not connected to the internet. Grrr

NaturalHazard
10-08-2013, 08:13 PM
It sure sucks to be in Turbine's shoes. When they used Twitter for stuff, people complained that they needed to use their own forums. Now they use their own forums, and people complain that they didn't use Twitter. It's not wonder so many people are claiming to be unhappy, they can't make up their own minds what they want, how is Turbine supposed to cater to them?

Maybe they should use both? Then people will complain that they didn't use one or the other? lol.

XiaNYdE
10-08-2013, 08:54 PM

Of course because it is incredibly difficult to copy and paste the same post to Forums, Twitter and Facebook, we possibly cannot expect turbine to get their heads around such a thing :/

Brendael
10-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Are there any plans for release notes?

LrdSlvrhnd
10-09-2013, 12:10 AM

I would go with "No" because it was a hotfix for an exploit, not an actual patch. And hotfixes generally don't get release notes.

DarkSpectre
10-09-2013, 12:24 AM

I've always been a sucker for a good murder mystery...

bita1973
10-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Stuck at installing pre req as well! and I was so looking forward to playing today. To whom ever is boss at Turbine, I think you need to get your axe out and some heads should be rolling here!!

Very Kind regards

Kalil
10-09-2013, 05:04 PM

I've put in a ticket for this, but support isn't really being much help and I've posted in forums with no replies. I've downloaded the game and made an account. When I launch the game launcher and sign in, it asks me to choose a world. But all the worlds that are shown ( 8 total) are closed. What am I doing wrong and/ or what can I do to fix it?

Kalil
10-09-2013, 05:35 PM

I can get past the pre req's but then all the worlds are closed so I cant go any farther than that. Anybody else get that far or farther?

Grynberg
10-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Yes. The latest release notes just came out (as listed on the logging screen..

- Do not split items directly from the bank, as the items fail to split and can go missing as a result

Hotfix a'la Turbine.