PDA

View Full Version : Revamping my artificer

deahamlet
10-07-2013, 04:37 AM
It's been quite some time since I've seriously played DDO. I used to raid before but in the past 1+ year I've just logged in sometimes to just run the new content on epic normal just to basically see it... And I haven't even managed that well lol.

But now there's these new enhancements and I've tried to dable on my own but I'm getting frustrated.

My WF artificer (pure, level 24) basically had the xbow feats alongside caster feats. I used spells for CC and mob kills and rune-arm + xbow for bosses. It took quite a bit of gear to ensure I could actually almost always have enough to-hit to pass high resistance/AC. There was the Carnival boss on epic that I still have to use INT for to-hit instead of to-dmg even so.
Anyway... I loved my arti. She was a tank healer, a DPS toon, whole array of buffs and capable solo. She was THE toon I took into any raid I dreaded and things like epic elite... I rarely dared take any other toon where I took her.
They nerfed sorcerers a while ago and I don't have the heart to even brave the new enhancements on sorcerer. They nerfed wizards too with other things and I'm not into evocation force wizards to change my wizard. It didn't matter cause I don't expect high performance from my sorc or my wizard... they're for fun, see?

But my poor artificer... I did some research and since I can't stomach losing spell power or crit (I love BB and tactical), I went mostly in the arcanotech tree. I put a few points in WF tree for more HP/CON and increased skills in the other artificer tree (have not memorized their names yet).
The end result annoys me.

My xbow sucks comparatively.
My rune-arm without the enhancements I used to have is annoying.

I can solo normal, but seriously... what can't solo epic normal? Especially with solid gear. I can't envision using SLAs as a way to get by in epic elite in a serious group. I also cannot see SP lasting a whole ton using proper spells. I have never been a fan of electric spells on sorcerer in epics because the DCs are not something to beat on a first lifer. Having spell level 6 is not helping any... epic normal mobs save, what are epic elite mobs going to do? Laugh, that's what. And to top it off BB spamming is not always that group friendly... kind of annoys melees LOL.

A long story to get to the question... is there any way to make a decent hybrid anymore? If not, what is more capable... a xbow user with a bit of spells or arcanotech? If the arcanotech holds muster in elites, I would love to hear how (no sarcasm).
I haven't used my +20 stone so I can always change her into whatever build I need... assuming I still manage to find a way to still enjoy playing artificer. So far spamming the 4 SLAs gets boring... FAST.

Thank you.

Livmo
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
It's been quite some time since I've seriously played DDO. I used to raid before but in the past 1+ year I've just logged in sometimes to just run the new content on epic normal just to basically see it... And I haven't even managed that well lol.

But now there's these new enhancements and I've tried to dable on my own but I'm getting frustrated.

My WF artificer (pure, level 24) basically had the xbow feats alongside caster feats. I used spells for CC and mob kills and rune-arm + xbow for bosses. It took quite a bit of gear to ensure I could actually almost always have enough to-hit to pass high resistance/AC. There was the Carnival boss on epic that I still have to use INT for to-hit instead of to-dmg even so.
Anyway... I loved my arti. She was a tank healer, a DPS toon, whole array of buffs and capable solo. She was THE toon I took into any raid I dreaded and things like epic elite... I rarely dared take any other toon where I took her.
They nerfed sorcerers a while ago and I don't have the heart to even brave the new enhancements on sorcerer. They nerfed wizards too with other things and I'm not into evocation force wizards to change my wizard. It didn't matter cause I don't expect high performance from my sorc or my wizard... they're for fun, see?

But my poor artificer... I did some research and since I can't stomach losing spell power or crit (I love BB and tactical), I went mostly in the arcanotech tree. I put a few points in WF tree for more HP/CON and increased skills in the other artificer tree (have not memorized their names yet).
The end result annoys me.

My xbow sucks comparatively.
My rune-arm without the enhancements I used to have is annoying.

I can solo normal, but seriously... what can't solo epic normal? Especially with solid gear. I can't envision using SLAs as a way to get by in epic elite in a serious group. I also cannot see SP lasting a whole ton using proper spells. I have never been a fan of electric spells on sorcerer in epics because the DCs are not something to beat on a first lifer. Having spell level 6 is not helping any... epic normal mobs save, what are epic elite mobs going to do? Laugh, that's what. And to top it off BB spamming is not always that group friendly... kind of annoys melees LOL.

A long story to get to the question... is there any way to make a decent hybrid anymore? If not, what is more capable... a xbow user with a bit of spells or arcanotech? If the arcanotech holds muster in elites, I would love to hear how (no sarcasm).
I haven't used my +20 stone so I can always change her into whatever build I need... assuming I still manage to find a way to still enjoy playing artificer. So far spamming the 4 SLAs gets boring... FAST.

Thank you.

I feel your pain. Esp. the caster part. I used to pump acid. What I did was TR back to level 1 and go thru the whole class again to see where I can make changes and optimize. What I foresee happening for me is periodically re-doing my Enhancesments to fit certain quests. More xbow or more caster? Dependding on the situation of course. I feel the overall loss of power. I will have rely more on EDs and twists.

Based on my play style I recommend pure arty and taking the capstone. Splashing doesn't let you take the capstone.

deahamlet
10-08-2013, 12:00 AM
I feel your pain. Esp. the caster part. I used to pump acid. What I did was TR back to level 1 and go thru the whole class again to see where I can make changes and optimize. What I foresee happening for me is periodically re-doing my Enhancesments to fit certain quests. More xbow or more caster? Dependding on the situation of course. I feel the overall loss of power. I will have rely more on EDs and twists.

Based on my play style I recommend pure arty and taking the capstone. Splashing doesn't let you take the capstone.

Thank you... I was currently trying to level up Fatesinger so not much available in terms of ED that can help me *sigh*.
I guess I will have to do as you say... redo enhancements depending on situation. I guess battle engineer is the way to go for anything raid-oriented though the capstone from arcanotech is better for support, I would think.

I'll try using the battle engineer tree and see what that's like.