PDA

View Full Version : EE Build advice wanted... Spellsinger with "Melee Mode"

Laeelin
09-29-2013, 03:54 PM
I have really enjoyed my bard alt so much that I decided to TR my main into a bard.

I think I like this build idea the most because I can either be a CC character or a melee character depending on the group and my mood. I can always heal / buff / chess bless very well. In casting mode I'm only missing 1 DC and 2 spell penetration. I'll never be a melee powerhouse, but I can drop into LD and change into a full Warchanter for the +1 Crit multiplier and will be in good shape.

I'm forced to give up 3 feats for the melee ability. I dropped Epic Spell Focus, Extend, and one Spell Penetration feat that I had not decided on in order to do this. I'm giving up Extend, 1 DC, and 2 Spell Penetration for the ability to drop into a melee mode that is reasonably good.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Here is the build:

Past Lives:
2 x Wizard
1 x Sorcerer
1 x Favored Soul
1 x Paladin

Bard:
1: Power Attack
1 H: Cleave
3: Extend / Heighten (Change to Heighten at level 20)
6: Greater Cleave
9: Past Life: Arcane Initiate
12: Quicken
15: Empower Healing Spell
18: Spell Focus: Enchantment
21 E: Inspire Excellence
24 E: Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment
26 D: Lasting Inspiration
27 E: Least Dragonmark of Finding
28 D: Epic Spell Power: Positive

Casting Feats:
3: Extend / Heighten (Change to Heighten at level 20)
9: Past Life: Arcane Initiate
12: Quicken
15: Empower Healing Spell
18: Spell Focus: Enchantment
24 E: Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment
28 D: Epic Spell Power: Positive

Melee Feats:
1: Power Attack
1 H: Cleave
6: Greater Cleave

Other Feats:
21 E: Inspire Excellence
26 D: Lasting Inspiration
27 E: Least Dragonmark of Finding

From Past Lives:
+40 Spell Points
+5 Spell Penetration
+1 DC for all spells (At the cost of one feat)
5% Healing Amplification

Enhancements:
Human - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)
Human - Human Adaptability: Charisma (Rank 1)
Human - Tharashk Dragonmark Focus (Rank 3)
Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
Human - Lesser Dragonmark of Finding (Rank 1)
Human - Greater Dragonmark of Finding (Rank 1)

Spellsinger - Spellsinger (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Music of the Sewers (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Music of the Dead (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Music of the Makers (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Virtuoso (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Maestro of Life and Death (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Haunting Melody (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Magical Studies (Rank 3)
Spellsinger - Lingering Songs (Rank 3)
Spellsinger - Wand Heightening (Rank 3)
Spellsinger - Wand and Scroll Mastery (Rank 3)
Spellsinger - Yellow Marigold Crown (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Enthrallment (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Spell Song Trance (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Charisma (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Sustaining Song (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Spell Penetration (Rank 2)
Spellsinger - Song of Arcane Might (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Charisma (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Song of Capering (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Advanced Magical Studies (Rank 3)
Spellsinger - Prodigy (Rank 3)
Spellsinger - Spell Song Vigor (Rank 1)
Spellsinger - Frolic (Rank 1)

Warchanter - Skaldic Rage (Rank 1)
Warchanter - Fighting Spirit (Rank 1)
Warchanter - Song of Heroism (Rank 1)
Warchanter - Fighting Spirit (Rank 1)
Warchanter - The Poetic Edda (Rank 3)
Warchanter - Enchant Weapon (Rank 1)
Warchanter - Rough and Ready (Rank 3)
Warchanter - Gathering Cold (Rank 1)
Warchanter - Action Boost: Sprint (Rank 3)
Warchanter - Obstinance (Rank 1)
Warchanter - Frozen Fury (Rank 1)
Warchanter - Charisma (Rank 1)

voodoogroves
09-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Extend at 15 is kinda late; not much point to have extend for those levels.

I'd put Extend at 9, Empower Healing Spell at 15. Extend is more useful at those levels.

Laeelin
09-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Extend at 15 is kinda late; not much point to have extend for those levels.

I'd put Extend at 9, Empower Healing Spell at 15. Extend is more useful at those levels.

Thanks - I was planning on extend earlier, but accidentally changed it at some point while rearranging feats.

voodoogroves
09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
The other more-general comment/question I have is around what you think you'll be swinging and when, etc.

PA/cleave/great cleave will probably serve a non-STR toon in a few situations. Would Improved Crit or the TWF chain serve you better?

sirgog
09-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I find my bard (which was built a long time ago as a melee TWF warchanter) tends to play a buff/healbot/Fascinate role in EEs because they don't get access to class based DPS increases or melee defenses of any real note. There are some, just not many. They can kill mobs, just they are very slow at it.

I would also like to see a spellsinger build that can hold its own somewhat in melee.

Laeelin
09-29-2013, 08:24 PM
The other more-general comment/question I have is around what you think you'll be swinging and when, etc.

PA/cleave/great cleave will probably serve a non-STR toon in a few situations. Would Improved Crit or the TWF chain serve you better?

If I'm meleeing (other than minor stuff) I will be in LD, warchanter, and in melee gear. With all of that I should be in good shape even without a lot of str. I don't even know if OC and warchanter stack yet.

I thought about a TWF build (fascinate mixes works well with TWF) but I ended up with THF primarily for LD.

If I thought I could stand the DC loss (and heal) I'd go with 16 bard / 2 cleric / 2 fighter and take IC and OC. MUCH better melee (DM + IC + OC + Vulnerable = Sweet) but that would cost me at least 4 DC, 4 spell penetration, and heal.

I will still make the build on paper just to compare. When I actually TR I might decide its worth it.

voodoogroves
09-29-2013, 09:56 PM
If I'm meleeing (other than minor stuff) I will be in LD, warchanter, and in melee gear. With all of that I should be in good shape even without a lot of str. I don't even know if OC and warchanter stack yet.

I thought about a TWF build (fascinate mixes works well with TWF) but I ended up with THF primarily for LD.

If I thought I could stand the DC loss (and heal) I'd go with 16 bard / 2 cleric / 2 fighter and take IC and OC. MUCH better melee (DM + IC + OC + Vulnerable = Sweet) but that would cost me at least 4 DC, 4 spell penetration, and heal.

I will still make the build on paper just to compare. When I actually TR I might decide its worth it.

Yeah, this is where my head is - you want to be GOOD at something, and have a secondary.

Thing about LD is, blitz is awesome but maybe not as useful as Fury could be.

sirgog
09-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah, this is where my head is - you want to be GOOD at something, and have a secondary.

Thing about LD is, blitz is awesome but maybe not as useful as Fury could be.

LD offers more than just Blitz. You also get the sick, sick cleaves (Momentum Swing and Lay Waste) and more things in the tree too. Fighter Haste Boost etc.

Laeelin
09-30-2013, 12:02 AM

If I'm willing to give up chest blessing I can go drow for +3 Cha, and +1 Enchantment DC. Then the multiclass listed above will result in just -1.5 DC, -4Spell Penetration, and -Heal compared to human pure.

Another option is to lose chest blessing for drow and stay pure for +2.5 DC.

It really is tempting even though I don't want to lose Chest Blessing. With my lack of end game experience I could be wrong, but I assume chest blessing is both highly desired and hard to find in EE?

sirgog
09-30-2013, 01:13 AM
We really do not know as yet how significant chest blessing is now, as we do not (as a community) know the cut off between getting 3-to-4 upgrade tomes and getting 4-to-5 upgrade tomes, and we also do not know the cut off between ML 24 augments and ML 28 ones.

The cutoff from ML 20 to ML 24 augments is definitely 27 (as it was pre-SfC).

Those are the big questions as to whether blessing is important. That said, I would keep it.

voodoogroves
09-30-2013, 08:20 AM
LD offers more than just Blitz. You also get the sick, sick cleaves (Momentum Swing and Lay Waste) and more things in the tree too. Fighter Haste Boost etc.

Sure - but is that as useful as more attacks w/ Reign running - possibly with less or different investment? Dunno on the math, haven't done it.

Laeelin
10-03-2013, 07:30 PM
I should be TRing tonight - tomorrow at the latest.

Any other comments or advice?

Thanks!