PDA

View Full Version : Mabar Sneak Attack Preview!

Pages : [1] 2

Cordovan
09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Tonight only (6:00 PM until 12:00 AM Eastern, -4 GMT!) Visit Delera's Graveyard in House Jorasco to see a special preview of the Mabar Festival of Endless Night! Once you're done, come back here and tell us about your experience! Thanks, and have fun!

Havok.cry
09-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Sweet, I'll be there.

Borris007
09-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Nice sneak peek but I noticed 2 problems, maybe it's just me but the monsters have a really weird target box I tried to cast spells on them and half the time it's like I hit nothing, not even miss, evade, or reflex save simply nothing. The other thing is the super quick reset of monsters in some occasion, like they spawn and litteraly 2 seconds after they reset and vanish...

I hope those issues will be fixed before the actual event.

Thanks for making events!

waryJerry
09-24-2013, 06:50 PM
I had two characters around level 15 try things out and both came across some sort of vampire who had fairly powerful attacks but couldn't be located (at least by me). This was a real pain in the butt when the thing was hanging around the turn-in jack-o-lantern.

Zafaron
09-24-2013, 06:53 PM
The game servers are already crying for mercy over Mabar. I always wondered why a different instance wasn't created for each group that joins, like quests. Also would be nice if spell casters could actually use all of their spells in Mabar. Otherwise, I like it. (Oh, and make sure to include those +6 tomes, not just the +5 ones)

slarden
09-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I liked what I saw. We did have some lag in instance 2 on Sarlona. The whole party did and people in 2 channels also reported some lag. I eventually got disconnected and am stuck logging back in. I am not sure if it is related to Mabar or not.

I rarely get lag.

gencydefen
09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
"Hi Mom, Can't make it for the dinner we planned tonight. Have to defend a graveyard from undead, sure you understand."

If only this would work.

crymeariver
09-24-2013, 06:58 PM
45 minutes in, server crashed. Multiple vampires killed, no fangs dropped for party. Really like the new monsters, lots of fun so far.

CeltEireson
09-24-2013, 07:13 PM
As someone has said before - invisible vampires who can still attack, although possibly they've just appeared in the scenery - hard to tell. Mummies that get up only to lie straight back down again :) Maybe I'm just getting more criticals than usual but they seemed to be taking more damage than usual from fire, not just the mummies but some of the skeletons too. Also getting the message about some spawns not being high enough level - given that the instances are now split by level this should not really be happening for a character who's in that level range.

Again mobs disappearing too quickly at times. Increased spawn rate would be nice as well :) Was in on a level 19 wizard so haven't tried the higher level stuff so cant comment on that.

TrinityTurtle
09-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I"m having a lot of problems turning in the drops. I can eventually get it to take the fiingers and skulls after opening and closing the pumpkins a lot, but it simply won't take my black opals at all. I have tried logging on and off, changing instances, putting them in the bag, taking them out of the bag, dragging them to the bar, clicking the bar without dragging, nothing works.

Systern
09-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I messed around a bit on my level 28 character, in the 26-30 zone and fought CR 22 Shadar-Kai (beings from the plane of shadow, not plane of endless night. But who cares about lore?) and got "The Creature was too weak to give rewards" a bunch.

I see the traditional loot hasn't been updated. So all the dragon scales, lich dusts, and vampire fangs that I saved from previous years are useless. And now there's Signets! Just like heroic commendations, Turbine has decided to make a new currency obsoleting our prior efforts. This one's even limited to one per day.

So... I'm going to maybe spend 20 minutes getting a few keys on chars that need them, and then wait 6+ hours for the 2 people who actually have stuff to grind on a new alt to grind out motes to open the dragon. Repeat. Ignore otherwise...

Ebondevil
09-24-2013, 07:22 PM
I was finding the 2 dimensional shadows that you can barely see and not attack for a good 6 seconds who then run away so you can't find them, to be a tad annoying. Then I gave up and went to run some House C Challenges, because, even broken as they are, they're more fun.

P.S. I was somewhat excited until I played in the graveyard.

Ovrad
09-24-2013, 07:29 PM
We just tried a dragon run, horrendous crippling lag where no one can do anything, fail, lost key.

The usual I suppose.

enochiancub
09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
First time grouping in years. Was surprisingly fun with my lowbie Bard. Going to have another go here now that I have a more than vague idea as to what's going on!

Edited for my poor English.

EllisDee37
09-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Got my first signet, woot!

Quintain-Valewalker
09-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Well. it's only be active for 90 minutes and I lost my connection 3 times while waiting for my character to load and two times while traveling between areas. After finally getting to House J, I tried to access the Pumpkin just outside the graveyard and guess what.. the game just disappeared. This happened earlier to me in Eveningstar while just walking through the town. I was able to actually get into the graveyard and the first Lich I ran into busted up my level 25 FvS. I used up nearly all my SP. After navigating the lost connections and reconnecting, I tried again. I was a little more prepared so at least I thought. After a few seconds of fighting a Lich again, I had lost my target on him and my spells were not being cast even though it took away my SP for them. I received a skeleton finger out of the blue as I was not in a group and not engaged in combat at the time. So far I'm not impressed. Sorry this may sound like whining, but I feel I should be able to at least defend myself against one foe. Maybe I'm wrong.

era42
09-24-2013, 07:36 PM
The high level zone with the most annoying mobs ever (shardakai) ensures that I will not be killing any mobs in the graveyard with my high-level toons. I'll just farm the 10-20 instances with some random alt instead. Way to promote epic toons.

RedHost
09-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Once you're done, come back here and tell us about your experience! Thanks, and have fun!

Well, first impression is that it really sucks spending almost an hour to get enough motes to buy a key, and then all of two minutes to waste it because someone that you got randomly placed with went and clicked the alter in their room and then left the alter undefended.

Fefnir_2011
09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
it feels... dark. it's not as bad on my favored souls with their tinkerbells, but i had to turn my gamma up to play my sorc.I heard a lot of vamvpires, but i never saw one.Please try to be explicit. can I earn 1 signet per character per day? or just 1 per account? Also, mention at the jack o lantern that the signets are BTC.those are my main gripes, everything else looks good.

Havok.cry
09-24-2013, 07:43 PM
keys/draughts not in store... kind of annoying

Ausdoerrt
09-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Well, I managed to farm a key, but crickets are about the only thing killing the Dragon in the lower level ranges. I think we had 2-3 people in my instance. If this is how the event plays out, I'm not gonna waste my time on it.

To keep this constructive: perhaps expand the lower level ranges for the dragon instances so that the lowbies at least have SOME chance to have a shot at the dragon. That or make it solo-able. Or add sigils to the mote store.

2x4
09-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Logged in and had zero lag this was big surprise! Was in highest level and ran Level 28 Pally. Had zero issues and had multiple drops. Do have a question? I use Nightmare (tier 2) Does Vampirism affect drops? If it does, did not matter because frequency of drops was fine.Mabar is a GO please carry on

Ausdoerrt
09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Logged in and had zero lag this was big surprise! Was in highest level and ran Level 28 Pally. Had zero issues and had multiple drops. Do have a question? I use Nightmare (tier 2) Does Vampirism affect drops? If it does, did not matter because frequency of drops was fine.Mabar is a GO please carry on

Interesting, my level 12 got under 500 motes within the 30 minutes I was there. I suppose their "adjusted for higher levels" really meant "if you're not at cap, don't bother". Mabar fail.

Dven
09-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Was happily running amok killing stuff on my Fvs (28), only ran into 1 silly issue. Hell Ball. If I target a lich with it (as if you get to quietly choose what your going to target in the middle of a melee) you get Immune (and the little acid symbol) and it goes away. It does not explode damaging the other monsters around it, just got to nothing. He might be immune and take no damage but it should still pass through him or explode. I guess I should just be happy they did not give a cant do that in public.

burningwind
09-24-2013, 07:52 PM
would be nice if you make these item account bound... don't really felt like wasting hours of work to get something that will only sustain one life..

Qaliya
09-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Didn't expect this. :) Stuck on a level 13, I just went in with a 9-14 group and shockingly we succeeded.

But numbers are going to be a problem longer term. There just usually aren't enough people at lower levels.

Ausdoerrt
09-24-2013, 07:57 PM
But numbers are going to be a problem longer term. There just usually aren't enough people at lower levels.

Agreed. Worse yet, went in at level 12, joined the group for 12-17 (or sth like that) on the LFM panel, and the thing sticks me into the 9-14 range with one other person. WHY????

stilesm1
09-24-2013, 08:00 PM
One thing I noticed (on Khyber, if it matters), the 16-20 instance was spawning CR12 Shadows and Wight Priests who gave a "this creature was too weak to give rewards" to my level 18 character. I'm assuming that's a bug?

Also, not only did I run into the aforementioned intangible vampires, it seemed that even when we could beat them (or a Vampire Lord who could be targeted) they never dropped a Fang, was that just our instance or are other people finding the same?

Also also, when I died and released the ambient noise from the graveyard stayed, ended up setting that volume to 0 because of how annoying it got.

Samir_Bennal
09-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Played for an hour and a half.

-Mummies sliding around on their backs.

-Vamps are invisible to all but pets. Red name vamps are visible.

-only saw 2 keys drop in over an hour of play.

-other drops went from dropping regularly to nothing dropping for over 15 minutes at a time.

-Successfully killed dragon. got signet and dragon scale. There were reports from some that they received 2 scales from one kill.

-if instances are going to be separated by levels, the types mobs spawned should possibly be specific to those blocks of levels. Had numerous mobs spawning that were under level for our group. group was 16 to 19 in levels. had wights and shadows spawning and not giving credit due to being under level. don't know if 16 spawns these. instance was a 16 to 20 instance. mobs that will not give credit to those levels should not be spawning at all in a 16 to 20 level instance. especially if there are going to be 15 minute gaps in drop rates. don't need under level mobs sucking up our drops.

-monk's incinerating wave does not work for those that may not already know that. public instance nonsense that should really be addressed for an event like this.

-Spawned mobs vanish way too quickly. By the time I got to them from a high perch or run up a hill they were already white boxing out. And that is after attacking them. Swing a fist, mob white boxes. Let them stick around a bit longer after being attacked.

rest
09-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Let me enter the level 26+ group on my level 25. Please. I haven't leveled anyone up past 25 because there is no incentive to. I was in a 21-25 zone with less than 16 people so I left. I think there is too much level-spread. I have all my destinies capped. I'm pretty awesome, even without epic spell power +20.

Velluminous
09-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Was in a 26-30 Dragon on Ghallanda... Crippling lag hit everyone, causing multiple deaths and an altar to be destroyed.

Aside from that, it's the same problem(s) as previous years... Small groups and individual people kill-stealing (whatever you want to call it), not only on the 12-man groups, but on people trying to get kills solo. Pretty much impossible to find a remote location to farm by yourself, or with a group. If a group changes instances, the leechers just follow your group. Still think they need to allow raid groups to have their own instances of the graveyard.

The leashes are too short on some mobs... Have had more than a few Liches run back to "spellcaster distance" and get reset.
Have seen entire groups spawn only to disappear 2-3 seconds later.
They could probably just look at the complaints from last year to see what still needs fixed with this event.

DotBrB
09-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Just finished to visit mabar..... it was pretty funny...

till we get into chamber.... then we laged for like 30 secs or +.... all sides fail. =D

Such a nice way to waste a key.

Nebless
09-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I always love Mabar and am glad for this test check.

Problems I found:
- My character is a lvl 6 barb - 1 rouge so I went into the 4-7 range. All the creatures I found were below my level there so I kicked it up to 7 - 12 or whatever the next was. Even there I generally found the majority below be at a high of lvl 6. Need to raise the creature levels to give players more of a challenge.

- Pet's. Kept trying to attack pet's. Generally could care less about them in the Marketplace etc.... but I don't think they belong in the Graveyard.

- Spellcasters finding a high point to guard and then throwing fireballs at anything they see. Come on and give the rest of us a chance.

- Lag's going to get bad with the level ranges you currently have. Need to tighten them up.

Creature Add:
- Ghostly wolves / dogs would make a good addition (came to me while trying to attack someone's pet!)

Need some better music / sound effects; spooky to set the scene. Just like pirate island get's the squeeze boxes that set the scene so well.

All in all I can't wait till it's time to play.

Myrddinman
09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
would be nice if you make these item account bound... don't really felt like wasting hours of work to get something that will only sustain one life..

^this

Or at the very least, allow us to purchase each level's upgrade separately (similar to Euphonia's Challenge) so that you don't have to turn-in the previous level's item to upgrade. Or, allow us to deconstruct items to receive motes back. With as many changes we've seen in the game and with characters since Mabar first launched, I have numerous items on several characters that are now entirely useless.

0F5TUFF
09-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Indeed it was a sneak attack of lag... behind my back as I watched myself not moving and all the objectives fail.

R.I.P Ethereal Key 9/24/2013- 9/24/2013

You will be missed.

Ausdoerrt
09-24-2013, 08:36 PM
- Lag's going to get bad with the level ranges you currently have. Need to tighten them up.

Tighten them up? Jeebuz man, no way! I dare you to say this to the 3 people in the 9-14 level range who went into Dragon on Ghallanda today.

BOgre
09-24-2013, 08:39 PM
The other thing is the super quick reset of monsters in some occasion, like they spawn and litteraly 2 seconds after they reset and vanish...

Same here. Between mobCR not matching selected instance and 5ft leash whiteboxing mobs, I'd say I've seen enough. Unfixed problems from last year. No thanks to mabar this year for me.

gDra
09-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Big lag during the dragon fight, ~10s to see a spell getting cast after using it, if it registered at all. Didnt get to see the dragon, because another chamber failed. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Let me enter the level 26+ group on my level 25. Please. I haven't leveled anyone up past 25 because there is no incentive to. I was in a 21-25 zone with less than 16 people so I left. I think there is too much level-spread. I have all my destinies capped. I'm pretty awesome, even without epic spell power +20.
As much as I understand you, please don't. We had a Lv25 in the 26-30 zone and I (Lv28) often wasn't getting rewards because the creatures were too weak.

Czekojin
09-24-2013, 08:46 PM
"(Dungeon Master): The dark of Eternal Night has drawn its cloak over Delera's Graveyard. Attend the Mabar Festival... if you dare."

eh, yea, sure... maybe if you fix the lag at that dragon lol.

Velluminous
09-24-2013, 08:50 PM

As much as I understand you, please don't. We had a Lv25 in the 26-30 zone and I (Lv28) often wasn't getting rewards because the creatures were too weak.

What gDra said. I was level 26 in the 26-30 zone and was getting "creature too weak" messages because of lower level players running around.

Rinnaldo
09-24-2013, 08:56 PM
I like the new signet trader. However, I noticed that I will not be able to add the Solar Festival damage to my essentially randomly generated Cormyrian challenge weapon. If these are to be treated as Named items, it would be nice if that were noted somewhere.

The dragon fight went okay for me, with no noticeable lag (level 20-25). The fight went pretty fast, and I didn't see any problems. We got the signets and scales at the end of the fight, but it was not easy to figure out which bag my signet went into. Apparently, a green one (ie, it's an ingredient).

Most annoyingly, my Greater Creeping Cold spell STILL DOES NOT WORK in public areas. I have reported this bug for the last three festivals. The lesser version works, the greater version does not. I use this spell a lot, so I test it every time. I am surprised it is still not fixed.

Assassins: I like that there is a break from undead, and that the laggy giant skeletons are gone. I kind of like the flavor of having assassins pop up in the graveyard, and they are somewhat fun to kill. However, I realized (again), that if you want to have non-undead in this festival - due to clerics using healing bursts, wizards nuking with meteor swarm, or whatever - the logical choice is WEREWOLVES. I mean, now that they exist in the game and all. It would be perfect. Halloween motif, right? Right...? Huh? Werewolves!

It got a little tedious, as it tends to, after a few hours. But then, I guess I played it for a few hours, so that says something. Overall, good. B+.

mna
09-24-2013, 09:04 PM
As someone has said before - invisible vampires who can still attack, although possibly they've just appeared in the scenery - hard to tell.
Yes, the vampires are completely invisible EXCEPT when they're in the "cloud of bats" form. They can be attacked while invisible but you never see any numbers in the main screen... yes, I did have True Seeing on. You do hear a "hit" kind of sound and it does show up in the combat log, but, well...

Apparently I did kill a couple of them, according to my combat log. Headphones help. Didn't get any fangs though.

So... is this WAI and meant to be an extra challenge, or is it a bug? (Have they been invisible like that during previous Mabar events? I wouldn't know...)

Also getting the message about some spawns not being high enough level - given that the instances are now split by level this should not really be happening for a character who's in that level range.

Still seem to spawn based on what level player characters are around, not on instance level. I saw a bunch of CR 8 mobs when there was a level 8 guy looking for a better challenge... (I was on my level 14 mostly-cleric, in a level-appropriate instance.)

You can also run into level+10 CR mobs. There were several CR 22-24 ones at one point at least (Shadar-Kai, even). Could it be that some epic-level guy ended up in that instance after the dragon fight and that caused those to spawn?

Mixlepix
09-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Tonight only (6:00 PM until 12:00 AM Eastern, -4 GMT!) Visit Delera's Graveyard in House Jorasco to see a special preview of the Mabar Festival of Endless Night! Once you're done, come back here and tell us about your experience! Thanks, and have fun!

Not quite done, but I am having fun and am unlikely to return to the forum by the time I am. Aside from the (I'm sure) already mentioned buggy creatures, my only complaint is my usual complaint when so many players are in a small area. Graphics errors pitching me out to my desktop... This did happen more than usual during my recent foray into the graveyard...
Mixlepix
"I would never join a club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Scuddy
09-24-2013, 09:09 PM
No +6 Tomes, real bummer.

CR's seems low. In a 16-20 instance if I am only level 19 seems kind of lame I keep getting messages that stuff I fight is to low to give rewards. I would like to see everything in the zone beefed up to drop rewards on a lucky kill and not messages that they were to weak. The zone should be a challenge. It sucks when I waste SP and time killing things not worthy of dropping rewards.

Also is it just me or are the mummies dragging themselves around the zone like a coffin in a 90's Beck video?

Backley
09-24-2013, 09:14 PM

My experience on Orien server just now on a level 25 (dragon instance D): Smooth until dragon appeared, not terrible for a bit, then lagged and couldn't move until altar dead and we were all expelled. Fail.

So, pretty depressing.

Suggestion: make the door like crystal cove: open for 20 minutes so you can re-try when this happens.

SlowDM
09-24-2013, 09:15 PM
No problem with lag in or out of Mabar 11pm-1am uk time. Strange having shadar-kai but i can deal with them. I did'nt get many 'rewards' for kills. It felt easier than an explorer zone.
Haloween is ghosts ghouls phantoms and all manner of Undead...................

I love this game but only been playing 2 1/3 yrs but I WANT TO UPGRADE MY MABAR CLOAK/S. It's the only item i've ever TRUELY treasured(still not found anything to replace my lev 16 one on my lev 27 arti)now its DEAD for a +6 tome *Cynicism on* available in ddo store this week only.

Did you spoil crystall cove items No. Mabar is a special event, sorry but you've spoiled it a little/medium for me.

Sorry for being negative, the special events even though i don't play the other's more than av a few goes, i can appreciate others enjoy.

I want to upgrade to a lev 28 Mabar Cloak please. PRETTY PLEASE :-)

UurlockYgmeov
09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Ran a lv9 FvS (Soul Survivor) in a raid group for several hours.

kept having to move up in difficulty band (lv16-20) in order to get mobs that spawned enough / dropped enough to make it not - well, as the entire group said - boring with really low drop rates.

Vampires - cannot see, even with see invis / true seeing; Vampires spamming attacks ok - if we can kill. When we did kill them - no fangs. (dejavu?)

Only saw one lich - so the spawn rate seems very low - had full raid group on the puddle for hours.

Raid - takes key and doesn't return if fail. thought that was supposed to return key if fail. several members bought keys with TP and didn't get back.

Raid itself failed within 3 min - let us try again (Like crystal cove)! Failed because only those who ran it before had a clue. no one realized public instance and had to use zone chat to communicate.

Like it overall - will miss the +6 tomes - unhappy didn't complete raid today.

Also - spend 15 min healing party during mass melee and got almost no drops - which *sigh* ok - miss my arty life for this.

Dmnqwk
09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Level 20 with a proper ED, I had to move to the 25-30 area to kill things because I could maintain a full MB there and wreck them. Which is nice considering it's normally casters and divines only!

As for the dragon, Lagfail and lost our keys - I hope you pull the event since you are unwilling to fix it, complete waste of time for the tome.

Utterly disgraceful festival that you've ran for what, 4 years now? And still cannot run it successfully.

Cardonam
09-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Just wrapped up after a couple of hours in 20-25 instance on a favored soul. Liches hit hard which is how it should be and I did enjoy the event for the most part. I did not make a dragon instance.

Two items of note

1. The 1st group I joined was scattered and confused as to how to get into the correct instance. User error no doubt but can maybe made easier to find the correct instance by placing both group instances and level specific instances into the map drop down.

2. The other item was that we did hit a lag spike that crippled the entire group. I was casting but could not move and apparently the spells were not effective as when the spike subsided most of the party was dead and we had no extra shinnies.

Oldguy

Shadow7375
09-24-2013, 09:19 PM
First attempt at dragon .... All three players at South-West lever lagged out the moment the dragon showed up and unfortunately died. Got teleported out to bind point and key we used to enter was lost. Not sure if this is WAI. Remember from last year that you kept your key when you did not complete / failed on dragon.

Ladislaio
09-24-2013, 09:22 PM
I started with the CR 20-25 instance on my level 23 monk. Following getting almost nothing but 'Too low level to give mats' messages I move up to the 26-30 instance, where I STILL got 'Too low level to give mats' for the next two and a half hours. During this time I got enough mats to turn in to purchase almost two keys, but not a single key by itself. My client then crashed while just before the door opened, and by the time I got back in the door was closed again, so I didn't even get to take a look at the dragon.

I will say the largest problem with this was the 'Too low level to give mats' messages when playing the instances AT and ABOVE my level. If you are in the instance for your level, all of the mobs should drop mats.

DrunkDwarves
09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Allowing players under 26 into the 26-30 instance is ****. All they do is spawn low level stuff we can't kill for credit, or they tag all the mobs in an area in order to get credit for kills other players are working at.

Mobs should spawn according to instance, NOT according to the players around them.

You guys need to do a better job in addressing lag. Instance on Orien just wiped because no one could move, cast, or hit anything so the dragon broke an alter in under a minute after the encounter started. This is not a new issue either.

MoonRunner
09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Like any other time Mabar has run there is way too much traffic to run it during Prime Time. Only dragon I had time to fight lagged early everyone froze but the guys beating alters. If this is the norm please make gate more like CC so we can re-enter a new instance right off. I know there are some issues with us not being in a private instance for that to work so if you cant work that out then PLEASE drastically reduce the amount of turn ins needed between dragons.

Vengeance777
09-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Orien's level 26-30 Dragon just lost due to instance lagging out. This event isn't going to be fun if we have to farm the wilderness for 4+hours just to see it wipe as soon as the mobs spawn in the dragon instance because of lag.

Here's what keeps happening:

When the mass of Gargoyle mobs spawn'd in, pre-aggroed on the alter the players can no longer move. The only chance players have is if enough firewalls and bladebarriers are on the alter that mobs die as they hit it thus removing the mobs, stopping the lag.

This same bug has been happening since Mabar's inception and still happens in many raids.

STOP making content where mobs spawn in pre aggroed on an object. Your servers can't handle pre-aggroed mobs and so many players in one spot.

Replace the half dozen gargoyles that spawn in the alter rooms with 2 big mobs instead and have them spawn in like the ones in the Litany of the Dead's ambush room where they look for the object/player to attack for 1 second before doing so. The mobs with preset aggro freeze the players when they spawn.

Your game's engine can not handle 24 players in an instance calculating 24+ mobs instantly spawning already aggroe'd on the alters. It can barely handle LOTB's mob spawn in at the end of that raid.

Your game handles the wilderness well with dozens of players and mobs up at once. The difference is the wilderness mobs spawn passive, there's something seriously bugged with the aggressive mobs spawning in. Maybe the game can't handle all the threat tables being calculated at once? In the wilderness they only aggro on what attacks them and that seems to keep lag down.

Maybe redo the mob ai in the dragon rooms so they spawn in, wait a few milliseconds then attack the alter instead of having them spawn in gunning for the alter before they even appear fully?

trevitt

Unfortunately same as last year. I spent 3 hours in the graveyard only to lag fail on the dragon. Could you please reinforce the server to accommodate the number of players you know will be entering the quest.

thegreatfox
I noticed while running my level 25 toon that the liches in the 20-25 instance never drop lich dust like the level 26+ instance liches. Other than that, not much wrong with the graveyard part of it. But just a few minutes ago the dragon opened and the 20-25 instance lag wiped. It should have been real easy, the gargoyles only took a few hits to kill, but the lag made it impossible. To have such cool rewards based off of something you get in such a laggy encounter is pretty frustrating. Its frustrating to know that you didn't fail because of a lack of skill, or manpower, or resources, but because of lag.

Oh! I also noticed that cosmetic helms now cover up pumpkin heads! Fix it!

User164
09-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Lag is so bad, unable to walk from one side of airship to other on "T" server. Tried for 10 min's then gave up and logged onto "W" server and no lag, ran Mabar for 1 hour killed lots of undead, Not one drop, lvl 15 area. Oh and the left overs from last time taking room in my bank, worthless with new changes, thanks for that. My experience Mabar Fail.

burningwind
09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
sometime vampire become completely invisible 100% of the time.. cannot be find through true seeing or any means. they cast spell at player far away while hidden... have to run around like mad and swing every corner to hopefully kill them... though not always so lucky to be able to find them.

trevitt
09-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Level 20 with a proper ED, I had to move to the 25-30 area to kill things because I could maintain a full MB there and wreck them. Which is nice considering it's normally casters and divines only!

As for the dragon, Lagfail and lost our keys - I hope you pull the event since you are unwilling to fix it, complete waste of time for the tome.

Utterly disgraceful festival that you've ran for what, 4 years now? And still cannot run it successfully.

I agree fix it or bin it

GoRinNoSho
09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Wrt 26-30 instance:

The Liches and Vampires do not drop dust and teeth respectively. Please up the drop rates on these.

Strangely the harm in upping the drop rates is that more people will be able to get items out of the festival and encourage attendance. I forget if the teeth and dust are bta or not bound, but going back to the original high drop rates would promote teeth/dust for motes trades between low and high level. Higher drop rates would lower the value of the teeth/dust to where they would be more accessible to newer players if trade-able. (Higher level players have teeth/dust and lower level players have more motes.)

CR 26-30 dragon instance was crippled by lag. 2 at levers and 6 in chambers estimated. Wipe resulting from lag.

Adjusting max players per instance or detecting and adjusting mob spawns during this time may help correct that. Possibly dismiss monsters if they land several hits on a player without retaliation. That idea may be exploitable; however, given how rare the event is and how it is typically boring up front (low drop rates combined with long waits for dragon runs) with a sometimes frustrating dragon fight, some mechanism to detect and circumvent at least one of the two issues would be well received.

Otherwise:

Lack of lvl 28 upgraydds to the equipment may make this an event to ignore by veteran players. I expect people will run it in waves until they've reached signet count for the day and then ignore it. Once they have their +5 tomes and any other novelty items then business as usual will return for veteran players with newer players fending for themselves.

That's my $0.02.

Lastly, from a lore perspective, why were the Shatner-kai selected for an Ebberon event? I know they are hip, trendy, and now, but to them, Mabar is the place they go drinking when they get off work.

Champkind
09-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Not gonna lie, I love Mabar, I'm a big Halloween guy. But, when you got vampires throwing spells around and you cant fight back that well it kinda sucks. Drops were very few and far in between. I notice a ton of lower level toons in with higher levels (saw a level 8 running around the 16-20 instance.....seriously?). There has got to be a way around that. Also, the damage was, for lack of a better term, off. I would hit a skeleton and there would be no weapon damage but the typed damage (holy) would show up. Then out of nowhere it would work right, then go out again a short time later. I couldn't go from one instance to the next, it forces me to stay in Deleras1 and I wasn't able to go over to Deleras2 and so forth. I don't know if that was just me or not. The damage not showing up seemed to be for a lot of people, and a good deal of clerics couldn't get their spells to work on the undead (healing spells come to mind). All in all though I like that you guys threw it on the live servers to see what would happen instead of going to Lam to test it out where almost nobody would be. Or at least not the volume that you get on the regular servers. That makes me think that any problems there are now should be hammered out by the time the festival is on for real. I was just really happy to get the level 8 wraps for my monk, that I liked and had to leave a message here for that if nothing else. ;)

lostgunman
09-24-2013, 09:49 PM
L25 character in the L20-25 area...4/5 creatures are "under level". Lag zilla the entire time...

So basically Mabar is bad as usual....why don't they just FIX the stuff we complain about instead of adding new stuff?

slarden
09-24-2013, 09:50 PM
A couple of quick notes after spending several hours participating in Mabar

- I received many lich dust (over 20) and no vampire fangs on level 26-30 instance. There seems to be a problem with the drop rate of those 2.
- My party had really bad lag for a few minutes and were all booted out (Sarlona instance 2 level 26-30). Once we got back in everything was fine and I had no more lag the rest of the night - including the dragon fight
- We never saw the dragon in our chamber (level 26-30) after several minutes. The group failed for reasons unknown - I guess an altar was destroyed.
- Monster spawn rate and drop rate seemed reasonable - much better than last year
- Overall it was much funner than last year
- About 10% of the creatures were too weak to give rewards - much better than last year

trevitt
09-24-2013, 09:51 PM
I noticed while running my level 25 toon that the liches in the 20-25 instance never drop lich dust like the level 26+ instance liches. Other than that, not much wrong with the graveyard part of it. But just a few minutes ago the dragon opened and the 20-25 instance lag wiped. It should have been real easy, the gargoyles only took a few hits to kill, but the lag made it impossible. To have such cool rewards based off of something you get in such a laggy encounter is pretty frustrating. Its frustrating to know that you didn't fail because of a lack of skill, or manpower, or resources, but because of lag.

Oh! I also noticed that cosmetic helms now cover up pumpkin heads! Fix it!

running my level 24 monk in the 26+ instance I got nothing but skulls and fingerbones

rest
09-24-2013, 09:51 PM

What gDra said. I was level 26 in the 26-30 zone and was getting "creature too weak" messages because of lower level players running around.

I want to go into the dragon instance, I don't care about killing stuff in the graveyard. I have a level 12 sorc for collecting bits and bobs from monster kills.

Loraven
09-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I used to really like Mabar...used to. Disappointed to see no new gear but thought I'd upgrade the old stuff to lvl 24. Wish it wasn't bound to character...

Loved the addition of non-undead to kill but had to take my lvl 25 monk into the 26-30 group and still got some 'too low lvl to give loot' msgs

Still, killing mobs was fun for a couple hours, got 5 keys so no problem with drop rate there but 20,000 is waaaay to long to open spectral dungeon and of course like the last few years, we failed because everyone was lagged to the spot when the dragon arrived. Brand new, top of the line computer, I never lag unless in instance 2049 Orien & I was teleporting backwards :( too bad

XiaNYdE
09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
(Oh, and make sure to include those +6 tomes, not just the +5 ones)

I already made a post about this on Lama forums mate and Cordovan responded saying they had been removed due to the +6 not being applied on Lama and probably won't see the light of day until after Mabar :(

Belfaze
09-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Orien's level 26-30 Dragon just lost due to instance lagging out. This event isn't going to be fun if we have to farm the wilderness for 4+hours just to see it wipe as soon as the mobs spawn in the dragon instance because of lag.

Here's what keeps happening:

When the mass of Gargoyle mobs spawn'd in, pre-aggroed on the alter the players can no longer move. The only chance players have is if enough firewalls and bladebarriers are on the alter that mobs die as they hit it thus removing the mobs, stopping the lag.

This same bug has been happening since Mabar's inception and still happens in many raids.

STOP making content where mobs spawn in pre aggroed on an object. Your servers can't handle pre-aggroed mobs and so many players in one spot.

Replace the half dozen gargoyles that spawn in the alter rooms with 2 big mobs instead and have them spawn in like the ones in the Litany of the Dead's ambush room where they look for the object/player to attack for 1 second before doing so. The mobs with preset aggro freeze the players when they spawn.

Your game's engine can not handle 24 players in an instance calculating 24+ mobs instantly spawning already aggroe'd on the alters. It can barely handle LOTB's mob spawn in at the end of that raid.

Your game handles the wilderness well with dozens of players and mobs up at once. The difference is the wilderness mobs spawn passive, there's something seriously bugged with the aggressive mobs spawning in. Maybe the game can't handle all the threat tables being calculated at once? In the wilderness they only aggro on what attacks them and that seems to keep lag down.

Maybe redo the mob ai in the dragon rooms so they spawn in, wait a few milliseconds then attack the alter instead of having them spawn in gunning for the alter before they even appear fully?

I agree with vengenance's post. It often appears that lag is attributed with the threat tables. When large groups experience lag in an instance the lag (normally) disappears after all of the players have died. One thing I have noticed from past mabar events is that the lower level instances with less people in them (wilderness and dragon vault) seem to have far less issue with lag. Less people = smaller threat table, possible cause? If it is an issue related to monsters spawning with preset aggro one solution could be to have the alters use an intimidate skill after each spawn to draw the attention of the monsters.

The dragon vault is fun, the rewards are good. The worst part is the utter hopeless and waste of time after waiting hours in the public instance killing monsters, earning no xp, renown or treasure, only to be stuck unable to move until you are killed or the mission is failed. It is something that frustrates players immensely due to the fact that they want the rewards, they give the time and have the skill to get them but the game steals it from under their noses.

LittleTinSoldier
09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Just took a level 10 rogue through the Festival (including dragon) in the level-appropriate zone in Khyber:

Started out with a light repeater (Mechanic), but eventually gave up and switched to a Mace of the Wraith because it was so hard to get a monster started and I didn't want to waste bolts on nothing. Early on I ran into monsters (skeletons) that ended up being below my level because someone lower than I ran by and got the 'Monster too low to drop items' message. I worked myself away from others so that I would be spawning my own monsters. Monsters that I spawned myself take a frustratingly long time to pop up. I tended to see ghouls (Level 6) and wights (Level 8).

The drop rates for the monsters seemed low--I felt I went a long time (5-6 kills) before seeing a drop message. Yet I was able by the end of my less than an hour to get 530 motes, so the frequency of higher mote-dropping items and good mote returns from those items were helpful.

Got a Key of Eternity within the first 15-20 minutes of being in the Graveyard, so when the doors opened, I was ready. I was with a Level 13-14 wizard on one of the levers. Things appeared well until the crippling lag (rubber banding). I got a chance to look into our room with the dragon in it and it appeared we got it down to about 10% despite that. In the end though, we got a message that one of the altars had broken and the dragon escaped. We were still getting gargoyle waves until kicked. No Key afterward, and 'Joe' said there was another 25 minutes left.

I entered in the level-appropriate zone. I was deposited into one of the Shared instances--a fact i was not aware of until a Weep and Shadar-kai Assassin spawned as I passed (from someone higher passing by first, I assume). I fought the weep (level 16) and lived. No drop.

HernandoCortez
09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
It was nice when Mabar was first introduced in the game. Now it just sucks real bad. Shadar-kai suck in house J. Lag is real bad. You should lower the amount of stuff needed to open the chamber.

Phaeton_Seraph
09-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Running on a raid sized PUG, levels 20+ - on G-Land

I'm on a lvl 21 Druid. Just lagged out completely, after various interesting "lag" events that almost all ended in my character's death.

I'm seeing similar problems as when the Giants first came out. Mobs are spawning in large groups where we are concentrated and "lag" happens. When I say "large concentrations" it looks like anywhere from 50-100.

I have not seen a Dragon yet. The hand-in is terribly slow. People in-party are complaining. Hearsay tells me the last (only?) dragon lagged out.

No one I have asked has seen a single Lich Dust either. This does not seem much different from the last Mabar I participated in except, well, I did hear a few reports of people getting them after a couple hours.
Nor have I picked up any black opals or whatever they are.
No fangs dropped either.
I picked up one key after approximately an hour and 15 mins in.

I don't like the Shadar-Kai, personally. Night Hags, shadows, or Puppet Masters make more sense thematically.
But the Dev's continual separation of FR from Eberron, makes this change unpalatable, frankly.

The tenacious (or is that bloody-minded?) hunter killer AI of the Shadar-Kai make life really hard for anyone who casts an AOE. Add in the over-spawn problem (which, IIRC, you never really fixed with the Giants), and suddenly you're A** deep in Shadar-Kai. They aren't fun at the moment. Give me back my fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I know this may sound like a recrimination, but it's meant as a useful criticism:

This enthusiasm to incorporate mobs from your newest update or "expansion pack" (e.g. Giants with Epic Gianthold, and now Shadar-Kai with the new "expansion pack" that couldn't be bothered to include a raid), seem ill-advised or slightly too ambitious for y'all.

Honestly, why would you go ahead with new mobs, that apparently have the same spawn bugs, when you never were able to get the last ones to work right?

I have no idea who's judgement call it was, but it was questionable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
I just logged back in to find a dragon run. LAG

I've heard complaints about lag but, in general, I seldom experience it directly.

I could not walk down a hallway, I could not climb a ladder. Everyone in the instance was crying.

Systern
09-24-2013, 10:03 PM
So after 3 hours, Dragon opened. Used a key, got an instance with less than 16 people. Since you can't go in with a party or raid group, burning a key on these instances is definitely a feel bad moment. Failing still uses up your Key. Someone in channel mentioned needing to burn 2 keys because of a failed teleport lock.

I was the only on on the SW lever, and although you'd think that it'd work like U18's freeing-the-prisoners mechanic, it doesn't... Kiting the gargoyles away from the lever doesn't matter. They still shut off the skylight anyway.

All in all, rather disappointed with the event.

Ovrad
09-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Second dragon run, horrendous crippling lag that prevents any actions for a good 5 mins. Somehow the AoE saved us and we pulled through, still: unplayable and not fun at all. All I could do was attack in place and hope mobs would run into it.

Stoner81
09-24-2013, 10:08 PM
1. Failed dragon due to lag! Could not attack or move once the dragon appeared!

2. Sort out the CR of spawning mobs and prevent people who are level 25 from entering the 25-30 range instance since it screws things up for the higher players, same can be said for all instances for that matter.

Stoner81.

SirDrakaden
09-24-2013, 10:11 PM
1. Lagtastic, those instances should not be shared amongst people who aren't in your group;

2. A CR 26 - 30 area contain CR 22 - 26 mob, which is incorrect, most of those monsters yields nothing for a level 27 or 28.

Drwaz99
09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Lvl 28 in the 25+ instance:

HOLY MABAR LAG! Dragon summoning chamber, I and everyone else couldn't move. Half the raid party I was in insta-died. Lots of upset people. I just kept casting spells, saw the motion, spells must have gone off as things were dying and I saw numbers - albeit very much after when they were cast.

More mobs were "under level" and such have no rewards! Why? It's the top tier! Everything should be high enough level to give ingredients. If it's spawning lower level mobs because of lower levels toon in the instance, stop it! Let the lower levels die and switch instances where they belong.

It needs lots and lots of work. It's horrible at the moment.

Loraven
09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
The dragon vault is fun, the rewards are good. The worst part is the utter hopeless and waste of time after waiting hours in the public instance killing monsters, earning no xp, renown or treasure, only to be stuck unable to move until you are killed or the mission is failed. It is something that frustrates players immensely due to the fact that they want the rewards, they give the time and have the skill to get them but the game steals it from under their noses.

Exactly...perfectly said

enochiancub
09-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Second attempt was even more fun than the first. Managed to be in a group of nice folk who didn't mind showing the other clueless gent and I the ropes. Aside from a few mobs not being visible, everything ran smoothly and a good time was had by all.

I think this event has broken me of my years long "No grouping in DDO" rule.

cristo713
09-24-2013, 10:19 PM

I've had such horrible computer problems lately and it's been some time since I've been back on here... today is my first day and i'd like to say I like the changes I see in the mabar fest and I hope to spend much more time when the real fest comes around :) I've missed so much time on here and i'm glad I can get back to make up for some of it :)

Qaliya
09-24-2013, 10:19 PM
I have to admit to being somewhat amazed that after all these years none of the major objections to the mechanisms have been addressed.

The weird mix of monsters is also hard to understand.. all undead at the lower levels, and half non-undead in the 26-30. Although I was actually skulking around the 26-30 with my level 13 rogue trying to assassinate Shadar-kai which was a rush. :)

djl
09-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Server crashed, everybody DCed, came back, 1 minute til dragon closes.

I hate this god-awful stupid freaking event. Shame on everybody involved with creating it.

Impaqt
09-24-2013, 10:21 PM
No Keys in store... Brilliant..
Went into level 20-25 instance with my level 24...

Kept running into mobs that were too low to give rewards...
awesome...

jiponwheels
09-24-2013, 10:23 PM
First instance that it opened was ok, a little lag towards the end. The second time that it opened complete failure.
The spectral dragon was down to half when it spawned in our room, we could not cast attack or move at all then failed
and key lost.

Thar
09-24-2013, 10:24 PM
I killed a bunch of lich's in 20-25 with no drops on a 25 cleric.

I killed a bunch of everthing in 9-13 with a 13 fighter/barb and one drop in like 20 mins.

no vampires were seen.

raid failed as not enough people in the instance, as usual if you are late to the door. at least no game crashing lag in the dragon pit.

era42
09-24-2013, 10:24 PM
More mobs were "under level" and such have no rewards!

This is indeed bad. The level of the player decides the level of the mobs spawned. If a player is lower level than the minimum level in the range, they should be counted as the area level, not player level. Level 20 player entering 26-30 instance should count as level 26 player for the spawns.

Currently my low level sorcerer has to choose between getting plenty of mobs that are under level, or entering a higher level instance and to cause those under level spawns for everybody else.

Healemup
09-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Server booted our whole party. By the time I got back, instance had closed. 4 people were in and naturally failed. If this is how it is when it is release, it won't be played. Even outside instance was full of crippling lag for the entire party. I wish I could report anything positive, but alas the only thing was that the lag caused me to die, but I got a key during it.

IconicHero
09-24-2013, 10:26 PM
have no issues with lag until we get into the dragon once it starts lag hits within second and doesnt stop even after you fail because your spells dont go through and heals dont happen! will be my last attempt at your test as far as i am concerned and most in my guild of over 150 people no one has had any success do to extremely high lag if it doesnt change before it goes live i will make one attempt and skip it again this year like last year at addition of very poor excuses for epic level 24 additions edited to add this was the new high level instance i am level 28 wiz

Qaliya
09-24-2013, 10:28 PM
When I was in the 26-30 with my 13, no level-appropriate mobs for me spawned.

rosedarkthorn
09-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Wen to do the dragon twice today. One time, we failed because of the altar getting destroyed and the second, we failed because lag crippled our entire group so we could only watch helplessly while gargoyles destroyed the altars. :( I want my Mabar augments!

Scrapco
09-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Not sure what's going on with the drops. It was ok for a little bit, and then for the next 147 kills (I counted until the door opened), I got three fingerbones. That's it. 5 under level kills, and the rest were just nothing.

Haven't seen lich dust yet.

Entered the instance with 1 minute left until the door closed, and I couldn't get in. 22 keys... oh right. They can't be in your bag. Lemme jus- *clonk* BAH.

No lag here - Khyber, level 18, 10pm+. Had a good group for the dragon, and it was over in about 4 minutes. Like it should be. :-D

Dunno. This is my favourite event, but if the drop rate is this bad, and the lag turns out to be like people are saying... maybe I'll stick with the stuff I have. Hopefully this is a beta test and not a server stress test.

Rakuda13
09-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Not enough undead,all i saw was some lichs and a huge amount of those Shardi-kai guys.
Pretty boring to look at the fighter types in Mabar.

kilagan800
09-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Couldn't locate the vampires, I could only hear them and take damage from them.

zDragonz
09-24-2013, 10:35 PM
I like the invisible Vampires. Spot does nothing to see them, but they do leave a clue as to where they are.

It is good to have a monster that is hard too kill. It is refreshing. Unlike the Dragon! WE owned it!

Velluminous
09-24-2013, 10:36 PM
3x Dragon fails today on Ghallanda from SERVER LAG. That's all I can take; I'm done with it.

Gywiden
09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
I missed the spectral dragon twice! I was keeping track both times, but people turned in a bunch at the last little bit and I missed it. The second time I clicked on the door just as it closed on me.

There really needs to be an announcement that the chamber is open. CC has it, this should too. Also, it'd be nice if it stayed open longer.

I too had the problem that monsters would spawn in and two seconds later have the white disc and spawn out. This shouldn't be happening.

Scrapco
09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Minor bug: at the signet trader, if you choose "what are signets?" first, and then "show me your wares," it just closes the window after a pause.

Drwaz99
09-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Not enough undead,all i saw was some lichs and a huge amount of those Shardi-kai guys.
Pretty boring to look at the fighter types in Mabar.

Same in my Lvl 25+ instance.

Some Vampires, who drop no Fangs.
Some Liches, who very, very rarely drop Dusts.
Lots and Lots of Shardi-kai. Meh.
Some Sucubbi..Meh.

So Vampires and Liches are it for upper level undead? Hahahahahaha....no suprise.

Wightscion
09-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Fpr me, 3 tries:

1st instance: gigantic lag fest. We failed because of the lag.

2nd instance: gigantic lag fest. We failed because of the lag.

3rd instance: barely had 16 people to run it. Still lagged but not as much. Failed, but I don't know the reason...happened in another room.

Overall, I am shelving this event until the lag is fixed. Was not a rewarding experience.

Scrapco
09-24-2013, 10:39 PM
There really needs to be an announcement that the chamber is open. CC has it, this should too. Also, it'd be nice if it stayed open longer.

You should see:

(World Event): A portal to the Endless Night summoning chamber has opened in Delera's Graveyard. This portal will close in 10 minutes.
While the Summoning Chamber is active, exchanging items with the Night Trader will not progress the Endless Night event.

alancarp
09-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Level 27 toon - pally (Legendary Dreadnaught) - attempted 2 dragon events. Playing in lvl 26-29 area on Thelanis.

1. No red names.
2. Lots of Liches - night and midnight varities. Got ~15 lich dust. My sorc party mate only got 3... 2 from my kills (party of 3 total).
3. Several 'too weak to give rewards' reports... little curious... we were lvls 26 and 27 in party.
4. No vampire fangs whatsoever... lots of vampire blood blades, no fangs.
5. Performance in slayer area MUCH MUCH better than w/Giants last time out. Lag in public areas is essentially non-existent... except in larger mobs with a sorc bombing away.
6. Spectral Dragon event - two failures.
Reason for 1st fail: not enough ppl. Enforcing a minimum number would be a good idea (so we could at least get the key back?)
Reason for 2nd fail: totally debilitating shutdown lag spike hit when dragon was down to 30%. Lasted for 2 full minutes... which of course allowed an altar to be destroyed. The group was awesome until then.

Observations:
Liches are absorbing Disintegration and Sunburst spells.. should be high enough lvl to overcome their mantel of invulnerability.
Key drop is sporatic... I've received 3, my sorc guildie got 1 in 90 minutes. Not sure if this is luck of draw (small sample size). Other drops rates seems pretty reasonable.
Guildie suggests maybe a few occasional Quell... which would certainly make it much more interesting... not quite sure I wanna suggest that myself!
He also suggested a red-named Shadow Beholder as a boss: 'The Eye of Undeath/Shadow/Mabar'... something like that.
Would suggest that maybe the CR 22's be raised in lvl by 1 notches or so.

So the only real complaint is the Spectral Dragon thing - fix that and we're good.

Grugmak
09-24-2013, 10:43 PM
The absolute crippling lag makes the dragon encounter impossible for many people, just like last year and every year since this event was spawned. Every year people bring up the same complaints about the lag and yet there has been no serious attempt to fix this problem. It's been pointed out that the mass spawning of the mobs combined with the number of people per instance is what's causing this so here's an easy solution: cut everything by half. Half the mobs, half the rooms, half the people, half the dragons HP. Problem solved. As it stands now the encounter with the dragon is laughably easy and the only way anyone fails is thanks to the 5 minute slideshow this game becomes, so it isn't a balance thing.

JackLV
09-24-2013, 10:44 PM

Not bad about time they updated the reward

RapkintheRanger
09-24-2013, 10:45 PM

i got in earlier: a few thoughts:

1. with the level cap at 28, it woudl be nice if u could upgrade level 24 stuff to a level 28 version.

2. I don't understand why creatures that are too weak are in certain level ranges. I am in the 26-30 level range with a level 28 character and run into creatures that are too weak to give a reward. Wouldn't it make sense that people in their own level range or higher get a rewards for the mobs in there?

3. There is no draught of midnight in the store. I traded for one to see how it woudl work and then....

4. LAG MONSTER. i figure i will get no use of my draught as i have spent the last 30 min trying to connect unsuccessfully... sigh. lost connection, lost connection, lost connection....

Rauven
09-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Made it to the dragon twice in the 26-30 range. In both cases we failed because the instant the first set of mobs spawn everyone in the instance is frozen with lag. First time was instant fail. Within 30 seconds of the start we received the announment that an alter had been destroyed and we were booted. Second time we just stood there for several minutes while night gargoyles destroyed our alter then proceeded to kill us. Unable to move the entire time. When we did get the message that an alter had been destroyed it took several minutes for us to get booted out. This was on Cannith. No idea what the experiences are in the lower level ranges but at 26-30 the dragon is unplayable. In its current state Mabar is not ready for live.

Astoroth
09-24-2013, 10:48 PM
You get a laggy instance you fail doesn't matter if you're good or bad or work as a team or anything. Used 2 keys entire instances lagged out for everyone there, make group size smaller put in less gargoyles, put a longer timer on the light lever; do something to reduce the lag on the servers/instances that cant handle it. i2049 is always a dog, throw that server in the trash.

As for the mabar area itself; need to have some chance of normal liches dropping dust. It's just a grief fest whenever a red named one does spawn near jack or w/e.

razzertothemax3
09-24-2013, 10:50 PM
So I'm running Mabar in the spectral dragon chamber(lvl 26-30) on my level 26 wiz/monk. Took us a while to defeat the dragon but we managed. At the end it gave the announcement saying we defeated him and such and received a spectral dragon scale and signet. How ever i checked every ingredients bag i had(5), collectibles bag and even my gems bag as well as my inventory. I didn't get either of the items... Went to report this as a bug but it said it wasn't available. So i submitted a ticket and they respond with saying they couldn't help me with this...

Grahson
09-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Killed a bunch of Litches in LVL 20-25 and 16-20 none dropped dust.

Killed vampires no fangs, there where some invis. vampires but most worked ok except for the no fangs.

Missed first dragon lag hit as I clicked the door had to relog to get going again.

Second attempt at dragon bad lag so we failed.

Orien server

djl
09-24-2013, 10:53 PM
3x Dragon fails today on Ghallanda from SERVER LAG. That's all I can take; I'm done with it.

This.

I did want to get a few of those augments, but they are honestly not worth the frustration. Wait around for close to two hours for it to open, and then BAM lag and fail.

I don't think I've ever been this disgusted with this game.

silinteresting
09-24-2013, 10:54 PM
went in on a level 13 wiz then a lvl 7 wiz both times in the correct instance and
it was 50/50 wether what you were killing would be in range or to small to pass
stuff for the kills.

did 2 dragons lvl13 sucsess lvl7 fail guess the 7 will be worked on so its higher leveled
by the time it comes out properly.

was playing on sarlona and didnt see any lag except when coming off the ship into
house j.

heard vamps all the time but couldnt see any and when i cornered one and killed it
no fang :(

do have a question tho concerning liches, do they only spawn in certain levels or
are they ment to be seen in all? didnt see any.

over all it was fun.

your friend sil :)

Gywiden
09-24-2013, 10:55 PM
You should see:
(World Event): A portal to the Endless Night summoning chamber has opened in Delera's Graveyard. This portal will close in 10 minutes.
While the Summoning Chamber is active, exchanging items with the Night Trader will not progress the Endless Night event.

Didn't see it. I am having major lag like others are complaining about. I wonder if I lagged through it. Twice though... that's obnoxious.

Necromane
09-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Just logged on. I've only spent a billionth of a second in that summoning chamber, and I already hate it: lag.

Crippling lag. Couldn't touch the lever, couldn't touch any monsters. Nothing went on cool down when clicked. Meanwhile hp is slowly chipped away by active mobs. Failed the instance a minute into the lag.

During previous Mabar events, I don't remember lag being any of the negative highlights, so I have hope that this can be fixed. But if tonight's event activity level was really as low as it looked on Argo, and we are already struck with this magnitude of a lag, I am really not looking forward to the full-blown event.

On a brighter note, thanks for readjusting the ingredient drop rate and mote rewards. Last year was an abominable farm. Also kudos for removing the +6 tomes. This game was not ready for and did not need that.

JOTMON
09-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Stupid Mabar.

Used my store bought key from the last event , got stuck on a load screen as soon as I went into the dragon fight, game timed out kicked me out of DDO.
and took forever to clear the old data and reconnect..
Finally get reconnected, raid is finished didn't get end reward and took my key...

yeah screwed again .. Thanks for the false Hope Cordovan.

Malgin
09-24-2013, 11:07 PM
I saw a few things that were a little odd. Fire turret could be cast but doesn't deploy. some of the creatures I saw would come out then go back into the ground but would pop up fully when they took damage. i also did note that on my levlel (level 6) there were not that many mobs out.

djl
09-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Just give everybody one of those signets for stepping in the dragon, and leave the dragon slayer reward as the spectral scales. The lag and player attrition problems make it exceptionally frustrating to try to get what you want here. I don't even feel like doing it when it goes live, because the lag will be even WORSE then.

Also, sell signets for motes as well.

thegreatfox
09-24-2013, 11:08 PM
running my level 24 monk in the 26+ instance I got nothing but skulls and fingerbones

I saw plenty of lich dusts drop on my level 27 toon in the 26+ instance while I was in a party. Most times we killed a lich 2-3 random people would get a lich dust.

rest
09-24-2013, 11:09 PM
I want to go into the dragon instance, I don't care about killing stuff in the graveyard. I have a level 12 sorc for collecting bits and bobs from monster kills.

I take this back, both level 26+ instances failed on Sarlona (because Sarlona) but both level 12ish succeeded. So I'll just stay on my lowbies.

twigzz
09-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Lvl lock the graveyard instances! Christ it's annoying....

Hendrik
09-24-2013, 11:11 PM

Yep!

The Spawn Griefing has returned!

Had a L4, L9, and L14 all in the L26-30 Zone.

Would not move. Ruined spawns for a whole lot of people.

All of them reported.

:mad:

twigzz
09-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Yep!

All of them reported.

Sarlona yeah? I was so annoyed I had to leave lol.

Oxarhamar
09-24-2013, 11:22 PM
5 minutes later dragon instance opened...used a key from last year to enter... dragon defeated sigil obtained

back to leveling

Annabel
09-24-2013, 11:25 PM
Other than the invisible vampires I only had one problem. I accidentally applied the festival light effect to a crafted weapon. Well, the effect did not appear, which I understand as you aren't supposed to use crafted items and I just forgot to double check my scimitar. However, the signet was consumed as if the recipe had gone through.

Qaliya
09-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Actually, near as I can tell the "spawn griefing" is a myth. I think this is one thing they actually did fix.

I just spent over an hour in the 26-30 zone with my level 13. Not one single solitary mob below CR20 ever spawned. It was liches and shadar-kai, just like everyone else spawned.

(And no, I wasn't trying to grief anyone. I was killing the mobs.)

I know people are getting those "too low" messages, but it's something else causing them.

redspecter23
09-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Stupid Mabar.

Used my store bought key from the last event , got stuck on a load screen as soon as I went into the dragon fight, game timed out kicked me out of DDO.
and took forever to clear the old data and reconnect..
Finally get reconnected, raid is finished didn't get end reward and took my key...

yeah screwed again .. Thanks for the false Hope Cordovan.

If it makes you feel better Jot, that run failed due to lag anyway so nobody in there got anything.

So yeah, the difficult parts of the dragon fight seem to be having enough people in your instance to cover all the areas without having so many that you lose because of lag. Really once you know how the fight works, the only difficulty is luck based. Do you have enough people and will you keep the lag monster at bay. It's frustrating.

Lots of Lich Dust dropped tonight, but I didn't see a single fang in the highest level graveyard area. Not a huge deal for me as I have a pile stashed from previous years, but some people might have trouble finding these. I personally don't have an issue with the Shadar-kai as it was nice to have a target to stun every once in a while. I do get why some people find them out of place though. From a distance I had a hard time telling them apart from the vampires in the same area.

Lastly, please do away with the underlevel mobs. If I go into a level 26+ area, there is no way I should see any mobs that are too low to give rewards to my level 28 toon. Adjust this please. If lower toons come in, have them spawn high level mobs, not low level ones. They chose a higher difficulty. Let them fight the difficult mobs with their friends is they choose to take on the extra challenge and don't have them be a burden on other players.

Qaliya
09-24-2013, 11:30 PM
The refusal by Turbine to adjust the way the dragon fight works, especially the number of people in the instance, is truly inexplicable. I will never get why so many decisions are made like this, where a slight change would yield huge benefits yet doesn't seem to happen.

Somebody went to the trouble to make a whole new trade-in mechanism, but nobody could decide to make the boss fight less laggy, perhaps via the "halving" idea someone suggested? Boggles the mind.

Hendrik
09-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Sarlona yeah? I was so annoyed I had to leave lol.

You saw them too?!?

kanordog
09-24-2013, 11:32 PM
I enjoyed the event, will run it again.

I had no lag on Sarlona and Wayfinder.
The invisible vampire was annoyingly fun. Good idea, keep him.
I played with two toons, a lvl4 and a lvl7. I easily managed to run instances two group above their actual level - I couldnt run a lvl 10 quest with my lvl 4 or a lvl 15 with my lvl7, I think the monsters were a bit too easy to kill for the cr they were. Basically they died quicker at cr10 then the kobolds at cr6.
Oh, I also got lots of "the monster too low level" messages even when they were over 3+ cr then my toon :O

But this:

some of the creatures I saw would come out then go back into the ground but would pop up fully when they took damage.

The zombies at low levels look cool crawling out of the ground but they fall back and disappear...

Delonigan
09-24-2013, 11:33 PM

Looks better than last year, I look forward to running it this year. Couple of issues I saw. I'm running a level 28 in the 26-30 instance. The most plentiful monster to kill is CR 24 (no reward). Still have level 15 players running all over the place. Is there no way to keep players in levels that correspond with their toon, or has it been made so that they don't spawn low level monsters in higher level instances? It's already been said, but no fangs in the 26-30 level, and the lich dust was rare (though I'm assuming that's by design).

puberdade
09-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Event! Cool -> Go check it...
- Cool, kill undeads, get rewards, sounds great!
- Oh wait, im a support bard and there is TONs of players one hitting stuff.
Cant get a kill.
- Hey got a kill after walking around for 5 mins. "Creature too low for you level".
- Ok, not gonna give up yet, lets find something, oh its a vampire! Let me kill it!
*Ninja players come from everywhere* *Steals kill*
- It cant be that bad, maybe if i get a group.
*gets into group*
*everyone getting stuff every second*
Cant get a kill.

Maybe i should lesser reincarnate as sorc to play this?

Really... No solo option, ninja players stealing kills, groups are useless...
I can see how fun this could be, but it isnt right now.

Qaliya
09-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Event! Cool -> Go check it...
- Cool, kill undeads, get rewards, sounds great!
- Oh wait, im a support bard and there is TONs of players one hitting stuff.
Cant get a kill.
- Hey got a kill after walking around for 5 mins. "Creature too low for you level".
- Ok, not gonna give up yet, lets find something, oh its a vampire! Let me kill it!
*Ninja players come from everywhere* *Steals kill*
- It cant be that bad, maybe if i get a group.
*gets into group*
*everyone getting stuff every second*
Cant get a kill.

Maybe i should lesser reincarnate as sorc to play this?

Really... No solo option, ninja players stealing kills, groups are useless...
I can see how fun this could be, but it isnt right now.

"Kill-stealing" is another Mabar myth. It doesn't exist.

If you make the first hit, you or someone in your group can get a drop. Doesn't matter who gets the kill. I've tested this extensively over a number of openings and it is consistent.

Scrapco
09-24-2013, 11:37 PM
600 kills: 2 opals, 11 skulls, 13 fingerbones. This'll take a while.

The only things I'm seeing consistently spawn under level ("too weak...") are the shadows. I haven't run into anything that *I've* spawned that gave me that error (so, not including other people's monsters).

Delonigan
09-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Looks better than last year, I look forward to running it this year. Couple of issues I saw. I'm running a level 28 in the 26-30 instance. The most plentiful monster to kill is CR 24 (no reward). Still have level 15 players running all over the place. Is there no way to keep players in levels that correspond with their toon, or has it been made so that they don't spawn low level monsters in higher level instances? It's already been said, but no fangs in the 26-30 level, and the lich dust was rare (though I'm assuming that's by design).

I stand corrected.. the CR 24's are dropping mats..

macdkinfe
09-24-2013, 11:47 PM
undead disapeard a lot otherwise it was not bad

Memnir
09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
After reading through the thread - it seems like too few of the problems I've had with the event in the past have been fixed or changed. So, I'll just keep happily ignoring Mabar and think of myself as none the poorer for it. None of the dangling carrots seem to be worth putting up with pulling a cart through the event, as far as I am concerned.

Not hating on or putting down anybody who enjoys Mabar - it's just not for me.

puberdade
09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
"Kill-stealing" is another Mabar myth. It doesn't exist.

If you make the first hit, you or someone in your group can get a drop. Doesn't matter who gets the kill. I've tested this extensively over a number of openings and it is consistent.

Then I was pure unlucky with drops?
It seemed everyone was getting a lot of stuff from what i could see on chat. I got like 5 last hits in 10 mins on a group and got 2 chipped bones (or w/e they are called)

If there is no ninja stealing (just first hitting) and groups kills gives rewards then I would have no complains.

Going to test it a bit

Missing_Minds
09-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Running in the 26+ region for one hour. Monk in gmof.

4 lich dust
1 key
25 skulls
37 fingerbones.
0 opals
0 vampire fangs. <-- very wrong.

Drop rate seems smaller as if Turbine wants us to pay for draughts.

Perky Piotr can't link to Draught of Midnight correctly. "Unknown offer id in request; cannot process request."

Over all... with what Marbar is going to have, this is going to be a pain in the ass to make the dragon show up.

Missing_Minds
09-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Then I was pure unlucky with drops?
It seemed everyone was getting a lot of stuff from what i could see on chat. I got like 5 last hits in 10 mins on a group and got 2 chipped bones (or w/e they are called)

If there is no ninja stealing (just first hitting) and groups kills gives rewards then I would have no complains.

Going to test it a bit

If you truely wish to farm, you solo, honestly. It was not group friendly in the past.

IronClan
09-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Not much point in offering my opinion, as I've quite literally never seen anyone at Turbine (with the notable exception of Eladrin) ever respond to anything past the first two pages in any thread they start or respond to.

So at page 7 I'm shouting into the wind:

I feel that 1 per day signet limit is an arbitrary punishment of anyone who has a job/life/family or otherwise can play for hours on some days (such as a weekend) but not at all other days. It will also arbitrarily punishes anyone who plays outside of prime time US hours as the dragon instance spawn mechanic might not happen during the wee hours at all due to less players playing. So European players are excluded just like working players are excluded.

I think Turbine has been running MMO's for too long to need to say this but... Seriously YOUR PLAYER BASE HAS DIFFERING SCHEDULES AND PLAY TIMES. Please start considering this reality before you put in inflexible and arbitrary limits, or mass gathering mechanic (such as collecting turn ins to get an instance to spawn which arbitrarily punishes people who have play time at odd hours) anything else that needlessly and thoughtlessly excludes people for no good reason.

This whole mess is simple to avoid, give everyone a token per day automatically like any gift, they can spend the tokens when they wish once per day as they get them, or all of them in bunches in a day or two (when ever they have play time tom do so; like a weekend). With this token plus lets say 100 each Finger bone, Opal, and skull fragment turn ins (or whatever number is deemed by Turbine to represent a sufficient play time investment in hunting turn ins, be that 50 or 500) this lets them start or join a spectral Dragon raid, of which they can run as many as they have tokens + turn ins for. Make the spectral dragon a raid, 12 man, full voice comm with 3 people per Alter a viable defense.. Everyone needs 1 token and X turn ins to join the party, turn ins can be bought off the AH as a plat maker for new players and a luxury for older plat capped players.

On the positives side: thanks for keeping the items around, I had heard the cloak was no longer available... at least I can earn more than one spectral scale a day and outfit some characters with their cloaks.

btolson
09-25-2013, 12:02 AM
In the graveyard, too many creatures were too weak to give rewards. Either level ranges for graveyard instances need to be tightened so a narrower selection of mobs can appear, or the difference between player level & mob CR at which items can be rewarded needs to be expanded.

0/4 on dragon attempts across a couple servers; 3 failures due to crippling lag, 1 due to less than 16 players in the instance. Something must be done here, such as reducing the number of gargoyle spawns by 75% whilst giving them 2x damage and 2x attack speed or seriously revising their AI towards the ultra-simple. Or just get rid of gargoyles in altar rooms and make them spawn at levers only.

steadlere
09-25-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm doing the 20-25 instance and get the too weak error message on target lvl18 and on target lvl 24(My ranger is still lvl 20) so a CR 4 more than me triggered multiple time the error message.

Also i killed a lot of lich(even red named) some solo and never got one lich dust on this instance(with my lvl 27 wizard i got 1 lich dust in the instace 26+).

Really great event, love it a lot but some bug that needed to be patched!

Dj_Fisty
This years preview was so laggy i couldn't tell you much more then ummmm lag?¿

sorry i couldn't be more positive about it but on for 3 hrs and only under 1000 motes....

twigzz
You saw them too?!?

Indeed. The lvl13 cool guy posted right above you lol. :P

harrisonfear
09-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Good to see new monsters

Bad - The kills did not register for MM . no drops of items when reds where killed

Ugly - Lag inside the dungeon 3x time failed - Under 26 . This needs to be addressed.

twigzz
09-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Actually, near as I can tell the "spawn griefing" is a myth. I think this is one thing they actually did fix.

I just spent over an hour in the 26-30 zone with my level 13. Not one single solitary mob below CR20 ever spawned. It was liches and shadar-kai, just like everyone else spawned.

I know people are getting those "too low" messages, but it's something else causing them.

Then why can I go find a corner and have absolutely no prob's or too low messages? I sat by Val's tower for about 30mins and everything went fine.

Borathan
09-25-2013, 12:16 AM
There were a few things that seemed to need fixing. First off, I was using a level 4 monk, and tried both the 1-5 and 3-7 versions.

One thing seems that there should be more level gating in the graveyard, I saw a couple level 20+ who were running around just to seemingly create trouble by wiping out the undead before anyone else could do anything.

The second is that the undead need to respawn faster when there are more players in the zone, if not a straight up one. I'd love to see the zombie apocalypse feel in the game for it

Dj_Fisty
09-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Only thing i could suggest is what has been suggested last year as well, Make the, ummm say levels 26 - 30 areas only spawn thing around them lvls and BAM problem solved.

LFKnowledge
09-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Level 20+, maybe more players, couldn't complete Spectral Dragon fight due to immense lag.
Level 15-19, completed easily, got signet and 2 scales.
Level 10-14, not enough players, altar got smashed and raid failed.

Graveyard mobs: went through a long spurt where only fingers and skulls were dropping for entire party. Opals and Keys became extremely rare (as in not dropping at all).

Lots of participants and LFMs up, but mostly for levels 15+.

Overall, fun times, but lag ruined it for most of the high level players (which was most participants).

RebelandDuke
09-25-2013, 12:25 AM

It was OK... I did not like the lack of sensitivity. I'm an Artificer and I couldn't hit anything. I had to keep calling my pet and wait until my pet started a fight so that I could kill things. Took a long time and got boring following and calling my pet. My husband was a Ranger and had the same difficulties. We had a spell caster that couldn't cast... he could only hack and slash. Big bug I think... but the premise is good! :-)

Schleprock45
09-25-2013, 12:27 AM
First the good - L9 TR'd Pally went in the 8-13 level on Sarlona, played for about an hour, got 951 motes, 3 keys, killed 1 dragon (no lag here, great group), got scale, got signet, traded in motes for the L4 cloak, and have a good start for the live event - all was great.

Then the bad - my L25 Rogue, in the 20-25 level, oh jeez - first encounter with the Shadar-Kai since I don't have the ShadCon pack - never want to see another one again. Ran into several of those with the stunning swinging chain - minus 50 HP, minus 60 HP, etc. etc. then DEAD. I've had virtually no trouble with this toon in any undead realm (love taking him into the Wiz-King), had all of my insta-kill weapons equipped (disruption, holy, nightmare, Ring of the Stalker), tried blocking, couldn't increase my AC, non healer (of course) - all to no avail. Had no trouble with the liches. So, after about 7 trips back to the tavern to heal up and less than 100 motes, I quit. Maybe I just need enlightenment on exactly what kills a Shadar-Kai and what is the best defense against those stinkin' chains!!

This actually happened in opposite order but I wanted to start with the good first :) Granted, I was soloing because I just felt like it this evening. Drops were good for the most part. On my Rogue, way too many "level too low to drop" kills (when I could kill 'em - ha). See no way of soloing with the Rogue toon, so in order to get that really nice cloak he's always wanted, I'll just find a good group.

One note: Several spawns were right on top of one another with no distinction until you started swinging, there's one ghoul, one wight, one spectre, all originating from the same spot simultaneously. Not too troublesome for my Pally, but could be bothersome to others.

I agree also that 20,000 turn-ins is excessive, many players don't stick around for 2-3 hours waiting for the door to open. Maybe when live there will be more players and faster turn-ins, but in comparison to CC, this is way too long.

All-in-all it seems that this year is better than last (I joined DDO in the middle of Mabar last year).

Slartipeutkwik
09-25-2013, 12:28 AM
This was disappointing. If you are a high DPS character, you can get some drops, or if you simply like grinding. My sorc is too high level (only 19) to get any drops at the highest level of Mabar. Nothing dropped. Got in a group w/ another toon at lower level, and got some stuff, but I hate grinding and my Favored soul just doesn't do the damage of a Sorceror, Wizard, or Cleric for undead. If you love to grind for things (and we know DDO is loaded w/ stuff such as crafting, greensteel, etc that requires grinding), then Mabar is right up a player's alley. I won't be doing any more Mabar this year.

I also hate the setup of Mabar in that you compete w/ everyone else, your own party included, for drops, stealing kills from everyone else, or trying to stay away so you don't do that, and then, what's the point of being in a party if you have to stay away from your party members? I was told being in a party would result in me getting some drops from other party members, but my experience was that in a half hour I got exactly one drop for something I didn't kill personally.

puberdade
09-25-2013, 12:31 AM
If you truely wish to farm, you solo, honestly. It was not group friendly in the past.

I was not here on the past. Im giving feedback based on what I actually played.

I kept playing solo to test the post that said the first hit gets the drop.
This should be clear somewhere btw.
So, after more 20 minutes on 16-20 zone which was quite empty I noticed that when any creature was "shared", that is, more than one person hit it, I didnt get anything.
Based on the info that first hits gets it all, i would just jump into 4-5 mobs and throw aoes.
After 20 mins doing that to every group of mobs i encountered, i got nothing from the ones other ppl also hit or killed.
That being said, it is not my job to discover if I get a reward by hitting first, last or doing more dmg. This should be stated somewhere.
Anyway if any of those are true (first, last or more dmg) in a public instance its just bad design. Ranged and caster types can hit first easier than most. Casters can also aoe from affar. Last hitting would also favor high dmg characters and more dmg too.
So, as a player, I shouldn´t be fighting other players for creatures in an event, unless it is PvP oriented.

Anyway, from my gaming experience a good event should not make players hate each other because they are low lv on a high lv instance or because they steal their kills.

Basically, what makes sense to me is:

- Should be clear from the start how to get rewards.
- Should be group instanced.
- Should distribute loot on a round-Robin fashion to the group.

Thats my feedback and sugestions.
And please fanboys, they asked for feedback, im giving it, so stop whinning.

Krelar
09-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Ran on my level 28 defender paladin.

Was logged in for the last 1.5 hours of the event (roughly my normal play time). Mabar opened right as I logged in and since I had keys from previous years I jumped in.
Horrible lag and we failed. According to the DM we actually failed and it took another ~10 minutes before the lag subsided enough to actually kick everyone out.

I ran around the graveyard solo for about 30 minutes and collected 1 lich dust 9 skulls and 20 finger bones. I occasionally got a "This creature is to low a level" message but it was usually a group of mobs so I am not sure what I was hitting. (I "think" it was a different kind of shadar kai)

The dragon did not even come close to opening again so it looks like I may have trouble even getting in one run per day. :(

kalecii
09-25-2013, 12:36 AM
I played a lower lvl toon, had no probs. Loved it, just wasn't long enough :( I've been waiting for mabar all yr. I got a cloak while in there.

BubbaZee
09-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Invisible Vampires are AWESOME!! Great challenge for us Sorcs with AOE spells. No lag problems on Orien.

GauArrowny
09-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Did Mabar on level 27 monk with wife and later a few friends. Did dragon twice and both were fails. First maybe have been lack of co-ordination which is understandable for the first run of the year. Second was due to major lag. Wife was in SE. I was in SW. Both had 6-7 toons. Everything froze up and just watched a dozen gargoyles destroy both altars. Very frustrating. Hopefully this can be addressed by the full launch of Mabar.

Things I noticed in the Graveyard:
- no red names in 26+. If I remember only red name vamps drop fangs now. Didn't get any from the normal vamps in that level range. Also would have liked to see red names versions of all the other enemy types spawn.
- drops and spawns were relatively reasonable. That is a good thing.
- Shadar-Kai. I feel like they don't belong in Eberron. I think there should be another living type that is more Eberron-style and at some point a new Hallowe'en event be made for Forgotten Realms which they can be included.
- Enemies too weak for rewards. In 26+ getting CR22 enemies. I'm sure they're being spawned by those at 26 but for those 27 & 28, we don't get anything. Maybe make the min spawns CR25 so it'll be less frustrating.

Oveall I had fun tonight. I didn't expect too much as I know some things need to be worked out. Previews are good for catching those things. Best of luck to the devs who are handling it.

An0ddDragon
09-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Okay is it just me or did it take forever just to hit one thing? half the time the monsters were passive to the point to where when you hit them a bunch of zeros popped over their head. They also disappeared constantly spell would virtually not hit anything, and the random ethereal key drop rate was too low...not for me I hot seven in a row but my friend only got a key like 15 minutes before it ended. These issues are understandable as this is a preview, but still I hope these issues are dealt with in the final festival. Still an awesome game. Keep up the good work Turbine!

Slartipeutkwik
09-25-2013, 12:43 AM
I was not here on the past. Im giving feedback based on what I actually played.

I kept playing solo to test the post that said the first hit gets the drop.
This should be clear somewhere btw.
So, after more 20 minutes on 16-20 zone which was quite empty I noticed that when any creature was "shared", that is, more than one person hit it, I didnt get anything.
Based on the info that first hits gets it all, i would just jump into 4-5 mobs and throw aoes.
After 20 mins doing that to every group of mobs i encountered, i got nothing from the ones other ppl also hit or killed.
That being said, it is not my job to discover if I get a reward by hitting first, last or doing more dmg. This should be stated somewhere.
Anyway if any of those are true (first, last or more dmg) in a public instance its just bad design. Ranged and caster types can hit first easier than most. Casters can also aoe from affar. Last hitting would also favor high dmg characters and more dmg too.
So, as a player, I shouldn´t be fighting other players for creatures in an event, unless it is PvP oriented.

Anyway, from my gaming experience a good event should not make players hate each other because they are low lv on a high lv instance or because they steal their kills.

Basically, what makes sense to me is:

- Should be clear from the start how to get rewards.
- Should be group instanced.
- Should distribute loot on a round-Robin fashion to the group.

Thats my feedback and sugestions.
And please fanboys, they asked for feedback, im giving it, so stop whinning.

I agree completely. From comments, most people love Mabar, just not me, and maybe a few others. The anti-group thing, where I feel like I am fighting other players for loot, is why I hate it, but I also don't like the PvP stuff, so what do I know? If this could be more group friendly, I would enjoy it more.

qbsonic
09-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Had a great time; spawn rate was much better than last year as the level 20 areas were practically dead (no pun intended) with enemies and the ones that did spawn were a tad overpowered, glad to see that fixed :D My only problem were some latency issues in the first dragon instance that resulted in a loss, but I love the prizes, can't wait to get that pumpkin helmet! to be honest I'd love to perhaps see the hats on the store as seasonal items after this year. In any case; fantastic, can't wait for the real thing!

GauArrowny
09-25-2013, 12:48 AM
One thing I forgot.

- Signets. Since I didn't get any successful dragons runs, I'm not sure if it's one per account per day or one per character per day. If it's one per account then I'd suggest making them bta. Depending on what friends are doing I would choose a different toon. If I have 5 signets spready over 3-5 toons nothing is going to get done. I'd moreso suggest having one per character and keeping it btc. Then I could do a couple dragon runs and work on a few toons at a time.

CherryLaBomb
09-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Heres the deal. First, I like the idea of having something different to do. These special events are good.

However, Mabar, Crystal Cove, Ice Games all have the same problem. You do the same thing for hours at a time to collect many, many parts that you can redeem for items or item upgrades. This is not fun for me, it is a slog that I must endure because my guildies do not want to miss out on something. By the end of CC, I am thinking that I am a kobold that is going to have fresh rat tonight, it even sounds yummy.

How about this. Develop a rotating serious of monthy/holiday/seasonal quest chains that are actually games. Perhaps for Mabar a quest series that involves a haunted house. For summer time a quest series that involves going to a resort/vacation area. A different quest chain that is relevant to the time of the year.

These could be sold like another challenges pack. Several difficulty levels to match the spectrum of toon levels. You could still have zillions of bits and bobs awarded during the quests. Those items could be redeemed for items or upgrades.

T would make some bucks by selling a new pack/packs. I would have something to run all my toons through each season that is not the stock quests. Plus, I would not be stuck in the same graveyard or cave, doing the same thing repeatedly for a month.

Tenzing
09-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Oh did someone mention that already? :)

tangledone
09-25-2013, 12:57 AM
It was an absolutely Lagtasic, Lagorama of Lagginess ...... Keep up the good work

kp2
09-25-2013, 01:00 AM
I ran the Mabar and for the most part it was fun but the I only saw the Lich once on lv 16-20 but a lot of other red lords showed quite often. The mummy, I have to agree with others he'd pop up then lay down and the invisible vampire was a pain as only my pet was aware of where he was. I was only able to get into one raid once and had no choice on grouping as it threw me in the 20 to 24 range even with a 16 to 20 instance which probably would not have not been bad except about a minute before the Dragon lag hit the entire instance were nobody could move (Canith) and we had to wait until it timed out. I'm level 20. Hopefully some of these will get fixed and do the other Lords drop anything.

rest
09-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Well on the upside for Turbine, maybe people will start calling it Lagbar instead of Mayban.

LrdSlvrhnd
09-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Here's my two-cents worth:

1) I'm throwing my support (such as it matters) behind the concept of spawning mobs based on the *instance*, not the players. My monks would love to go higher and get a better challenge. My gimpy hagglebard, however, would prefer to go lower... lol But regardless, spawning based on players hanging around needs to go. Nothing should spawn that is "too low" for somebody at the top of the level range of an instance. The 20-24 instance should be spawning stuff at 22-26, etc. The only exception should be the 1-5 or whatever the lowest one is.

2) For the love of Lolth, drop the turn-in requirement. I spent close to two hours on Thelanis, it went from 11.5K when I started, to 6.2K about 10 minutes before it shut down. But 20K is way too high, especially with the large numbers of people actively avoiding it. Better yet, make it contingent on number of people farming (preferably actively farming, but I'll settle for just in the area, since the tech to figure that out obviously already exists). If you've only got one or two instances in every level range, the amount required should be way lower than the peak times when you have 5+ instances in a level range.

3) The invisible vampires were annoying. The mummies sliding around on their mechanic carts (y'know, those little platforms they use to slide under cars on) were hilarious. Fix the one, but feel free to keep the other.

3a) Are the invisible vampires related to the invisible dragon in the Storm Horns? Cousins, mebbe? Pets had no problem attacking them, much like hires have no problems with the invisible dragon.

4) Fangs. They need to drop. The red-names should automatically give fangs (preferably to a fair few people at once); the regular ones should have a chance if not guaranteed. Eh, probably not guaranteed, the way they spawn. But at least a decent chance.

5) I did a dungeon on my L11 monk on Cannith. Not game-crippling lag, and I suspect that part of what lag I experienced was as much do to all the character-hopping I did. Fairly smooth completion, but then again I was one of the first ones in rather than one of the last ones and thus had a fairly full dungeon , rather than nearly empty. As I said, didn't get a chance to do one on Thelanis.

5a) Had some noticeable lag running around the graveyard on Thelanis - worse than what little I experienced in the Cannith dungeon, actually. And that wasn't just me, because other party members on the other side of the country were noticing it.

6) BtC thingamabobbers (signets, mebbe)? Really? My gimpy hagglebard is not happy lol I *really* hope that "one per day" is per character and not per server, then. (Even being BtA, I'd hope it was per character, but I'd be ****ed if I suddenly realize I was on the wrong character when I got the first daily completion). I'm guessing the +5 tomes are BtC, but how 'bout the hats and augments? 'Cause it's worthwhile getting them if BtA, but I'm not gonna waste my time on a "maybe I'll use them" at BtC. But BtC needs to just GO AWAY and never return.

Sam1313
09-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Over all it was ok. Needs to be more Halloween decorations. Somehow need to control other partys or players outside of your personel party from stealing kills from your party. Need to not allow higher level characters in lower level instances. I was using a level 10 wizard and had some level 15+++ characters running around killing things before I could get a spell off. Also the drop rate was terrible. Some monsters would spawn then within 2 seconds later fade out. Also I noticed while I was in on my level (10) I would get a chance to kill a mob while the Higher level 15+ guys was not in my area just to get "monster was not high enough level to offer up anything" ???? Also on the dragon used a key to get in just to get thrown out because someone activated the alter before they was supposed to.

Douglas21
09-25-2013, 01:26 AM
The event has been updated with play for the new level cap, why have the rewards not also been updated? If a level 28 farms the event, in a zone specifically designed for his level, he should not be stuck with level 24 gear as the best he can get.

Cloak of Night, Wraps of Endless Light, Docent of Shadow, and Robe of Shadow all need level 28 versions, and I will not consider this event properly updated for the new level cap until they have them.

Janisis
09-25-2013, 01:32 AM
First run on my main went great, lvl 20-25 instance got scale and signet. Second run on my healer the door opened, I used my key to go in, found myself back outside of the door with no key - was sad.
Invisible lower level vampires were annoying also. I noticed them on the 15-20 instance of the graveyard.

Other than that it was Mabar, looking forward to lvl 25+ versions of the loot.

Silverleafeon
09-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Learned:

PULLING LEVER TO LIGHT ALTAR WHEN DRAGON IS NOT THERE INCREASES SPAWNS DRAMATICALLY WHICH INCREASES LAG DRAMATICALLY.

Thank you DDO staffer for triggering a quick second dragon appearance.
My first was a fail, with definitely lots of level pulling going on.
My second with group leaders emphasizing no pull lever was a success.

Otherwise.
Lich tended to get stuck in double building near central pond.
Occasional, monster too low for rewards with no one under level 26 in sight.
Failed run reported to take key, not sure if wai?
Nice addition of tome, augment trader.

liriel01
09-25-2013, 01:36 AM
It seems ok however, while inside I would like to use the hirelings. Just running around solo or trying to find a group waste too much time. Hirelings should be a part of the festival at least while inside the graveyard.

Thumbed_Servant
09-25-2013, 01:37 AM

^ THIS! ^

I simply cannot understand how this very very MAJOR issue...the dragon chamber parties being totally frozen and unable to operate...can still be around. EVERY other bug is annoying to someone, but this is totally crippling to the event! HOW...CAN...TURBINE...PROGRAMMERS...NOT...FIX...ON E...SERIOUS...ISSUE...in four years of the event!? WHAT is the point of farming the event so as to open the dragon chamber only to freeze in place for no rewards?

The freeze up of the dragon instances deserves full attention before you release the event again. I will write another post on what occurred with our party during our farming in the graveyard itself for more constructive feedback.

Demsac
09-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Don't like that there's lvl22 mobs in the 26-30 instances If you're 28 then you're too high for them...There's a lack of spawns but it seems better then last year. Lack of ml28 items sucks too, no more +6 tomes made the only item I wanted was the pumpkin hat..may get a +5 on a character or two.

Marupal
09-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Glad to see Mabar coming back around.

the good
Am enjoying having the Shadar Kai and succubi tossed into the mix.

Looking forward to grabbing a couple of the augments.

Also have a couple of alts in need of some of the original Mabar gear.

Still love the theme and mood for this event. :) It's still the best in that department.

Signets. An interesting twist. Fair enough.

the bad
26-30 dragon instance lagged out every time the gargoyles spawned in, eventually failed. Ran it the next time on a level 15 cleric and didn't see more than a slight hiccup. Sad, my main was looking forward to grabbing some signets too.

Ran around for 3+ hours and didn't see any red-named ...anythings. WAI?

Found liches dust, kinda rare, but ok. Didn't see 1 fang drop though. Killed lotsa vamps.

Invisible vamps. After my cleric ran out of turn undeads and SP, it wasn't nearly as funny. ;)

Spawn rates seem better but are still pretty slim compared to crystal cove. People are kind of desperate for kills.

Received the " too low for rewards" message quite a bit too, as a level 27 in the 26-30 instance and also as a level 15 in the 12-17 instance and the 16-20 instance.

It's a long time between Dragon raids. Any chance of turning down the requirements to get in?

The mechanics for getting rewards might be worth mentioning again (who is eligible, do you have to kill, etc.).

If using AOE's still has a reduced chance of earning rewards, please let people know. I know it did when Mabar was first being introduced years ago, just not sure if that's still the case.

I thought the mobs in instances were hard-locked last year, i.e. CR16-20 would only generate creatures in the 16-20 range. If someone below level 16 entered, they generated spawns as if they were a level 16, and if they were above 20 they spawned as if they were a 20th level. If that is the case, it's not working quite right. For clarity sake, please let us know how it's supposed to be functioning.

ty for the preview

crisalis
09-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Ok so I gave the little preview a try. Was not impressed. Used my lvl 21 arty and played around in delera's for a couple of hours. Most of that time was watching my bolts wiz past everything. There needs to be a better way to target them. Drop rates are horrid at best. In the 5 hours i spent in there.....i got oh ****! My worthless mutt had better luck attacking things then I did with my repeater, and rune arm. As for all the lag....did not really see any of it. Oh and BTC!?! That **** needs to go away and stay away.

Ghuankha
09-25-2013, 02:23 AM
1hr 37min run; 6 keys (5 now), 1769 motes, one signet , one scale ...ranger lvl 18...no lag...so :)

ComicRelief
09-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Went in on L16-L20 instance on my L15 arty.

1) Vampires were invisible (and not just 'vanishing' and returning, but constantly invisible) and untargetable (by players). It's possible that I did hit some vamps (heard something hit, not sure if vamps) but no visiual indication of hits (no floating numbers). I did not check combat log to see if they registered there. Vampire Lords (red named) seemed to be visible and targetable.

1A) Pets could track and attack vamps with no problems.
1B) Zero fangs dropped. May need to increase drop rate (don't want them dropping like rain, but don't want an absolute drought, either).

2) Often, but not always, newly spawned mummies were supine (that's "lying face up"). More often than not, they would slide around on their backs when "chasing". Sometimes thay would briefly stand, but then go back into supine position.

3) Saw (1) lich - no dust dropped (as far as I could tell). Again, may need to increase drop rate.

4) Glad to see giant skellies are gone - they just didn't 'feel' right last year.

5) Would like to be able to 'soft target' new, inactive spawns when reticle passes over them. Hard targetting only after they are active is good.

6) Did not have time to do a dragon run, so no comments on that portion.

7) I do not normally complain about "lag", but ran into some cripling lag in graveyard area (for the first time - ever - with this event) - note that this was NOT during a dragon session. I could move, and shoot OK, but others around me looked like they were 'skipping' some frames. Zero hits (via x-bow or spells) were visulally indicated, mobs appeared to be stationary and not taking damage.

8) Would like to see an increase in the time/distance active mobs will chase you before rubber-banding.

9) Only new mob seen was "night shadow" - probably due to L16-L20 area.

10) Some complained that the CR level of the mobs should be strictly based on instance lvel, not toon level - lowest level mob I saw was CR12, which is probably low-end for L16 and below? If not, then yes, I agree - for examlple, an L16-L20 instance should only have mobs appropriate for those levels, regardless of toon level (i.e. if an L1 enters instance, the lowest CR he should encounter is whatever is the lowest CR mob for an L16 toon; an L28 entering should only get mobs appropriate for L20 toons and if that means no drops for the L28s, then so be it - they should be in higher instances). Exception: Vampires should spawn in all instances (maybe liches to?).

Um...that's all I can think of for now. Though somebody is probably going to mention the lack of promised updated loot (but that's not surprising to me for this one-day 'test'). Hope bugs get worked out before actual even - would hate to see it go up, just to almost immediately come right back down and be unavailable for a week or so. {What?}

Still had fun.
;)

Thumbed_Servant
09-25-2013, 02:31 AM
We maintained a raid party in the 20-25 instance averaging 9 players for approximately 2 1/2 hours.

1) Mobs seemed to spawn with decent frequency. Often when we were all close together the mobs spawned in huge...mobs...of 10 or more.

2) No one in our group received lich dust. I asked them all to report if they did and I scanned the chat box log as we killed liches repeatedly. One fellow did report having received a lich dust earlier in the evening with a lvl 26 toon in the lvl 26 and up instance. Again, ZERO lich dust for our entire group in lvl 20-25 instance despite killing many liches (red named and non red named).

3) No vampire fangs reported received by any in our group for the entire evening.

4) No Burnt Out Black Opals received for our group. That said, we seemed to receive Chipped Skulls and Cursed Finger Bones with good frequency; no one in our party complained of lack of collectables in regards to the Skulls and Finger Bones.

5) Slow down frame rate, or LAG: In the graveyard, many of our party experienced (me included) the game slowing down to near total freeze up quite often during large number mob spawns.

6) We entered one Dragon instance as a party during the run; result was failure due to low player population. We had 1 player in a room who was killed quickly by gargoyles and then the gargoyles destroyed the altar. (From a personal view point: This is not so terribly frustrating as is failing due to the instance freezing as I posted earlier. Sad that those last in will possibly get into a low population instance, but the math of it is that it will be tough for the last instance spawned to have an optimal number.)

In summation: We had issues with frame rate/lag in the graveyard; We garnered a decent amount of collectables (Chipped Skulls and Cursed Finger Bones) for motes; We garnered NO Lich Dust (this despite many lich kills by the party over 2 1/2 hours of farming), We garnered no Vampire Fangs. The Liches cast some mean spells...we had deaths during our farming, but no one thought it too much and complained about the dying; our healers raised the dead, rebuffed them, and we continued. We also had fun chatting with each other while farming in a raid party.

PS: The lvl 25 toons in our group did get the *mobs too low* messages enough to voice a little frustration with it. They deduced that the skeletons spawning were too low for them, and tried to avoid the skeletons. They seemed to still get decent drop rate of Finger Bones and Chipped Skulls with the number of higher level mobs that spawned.

rdegraaf
09-25-2013, 02:38 AM
Two issues:
* Things were spawning in the level 26-28 instance that were "too weak" to give my level 28 cleric a reward. I would expect to see this in the shared instance, but not in the level-specific one.
* It appears that Night Litches are immune to spells of levels 5 and lower? However, they should not be immune to Avenging Light, an epic spell-like, unless they're supposed to be immune to light as well.

GeoffWatson
09-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Mabar closed already?

What about players with jobs?

Don't we get a preview?

Geoff.

Oxarhamar
09-25-2013, 03:16 AM
the new augments are nice

sad that the +6 tome did not go live

overall I hate the Mabar event every time it comes but every time I do it (at least a little).

sure the cloak is nice and I want some augments

But please, give use some XP for slaying 100's of mobs or at least let the mobs go into monster manual.

Aerinsma
09-25-2013, 03:16 AM
Level 3 played on 1-5 instance on Orien. Had fun killing zombies, didn't get our one try at dragon completion because not enough people at this level, and those who were often didn't have a clue what was going on. A guide link to sign in screen would be useful, and maybe have too small groups only have to cover two of the alters or something.

The zombies would sometimes come out and then go back underground leaving just a red bar above them to show where to hit. They still took damage. Some zombies just seemed to disappear for no apparent reason. These were not the ones underground or the ones timing out much too soon. I would have liked more frequent spawnings that lasted longer.

We had people above level in our area. While they didn't cause us trouble, I would like to add to the recommendations to base monsters on the instance recommended level rather than the characters' levels. The main reason players go out of their recommended levels is because they want a different challenge. Sending monsters their level after them just causes problems for everyone. If you can't do that maybe limit players to their recommended instances.

I was disappointed that the +6 tomes had not made the journey out of Lamannia. If that was deemed too powerful maybe limit players to buying two +5 tomes rather than one. I'd really prefer the +6.

Edit to add: we had no problem with lag in the lowest level instance, but we did notice more when we stopped doing Mabar.

Shincula
09-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Mobs

Vampires: Rarely were seen; seemed to be permanently invisible. Pets could detect their presence, and I killed several as my draught of midnight informed me through deductive fireball placement, but no numbers showed for damage. Regardless, they continually spammed the group with unholy blights and sound bursts. Clouds of bats did appear when the vampire disappeared or reappeared, but that's it.

Liches: Immune to level 6 spells (Disintegrate) whereas buff list claims to be only immune to level 4 and lower. Much higher spawn rate than prior years is nice, though I didn't see any dusts drop. Not sure if this is because of a difference in "Night Lich" and "Lich"?

Mummies: Laid on the ground until noticed and activated via damage. Not sure if WAI.

Shadar-kai: Nice mob addition, enjoyed the flavor.

General: I ran the 26-30 content on my level 14 sorc and had no problem farming it; it didn't yield any more rewards than my at-level instance, however. It would be nice to perhaps up the difficulty of epic level monsters, and up the drop rates along with them, so that there's a fun and challenging incentive to use epic characters - or at least to try epic difficulties. Perhaps another tier of fingerbones and chipped skulls that yields a higher mote value, or signet of endless night fragments, etc.

Loot

Lich dust: As above, did not seem to be dropping.

Vampire fangs: See prior entry

Red Augments: I like the idea of them, but to be honest, they feel very lackluster compared to the latest random generated loot out there. The Endless Night augment looked impressive, but the others... 1d4 light damage just doesn't matter anymore when level 6 weapons are doing 2d6 elemental as a matter of course. If we could upgrade them to a higher tier, say a Sovereign Light Damage augment that deals 1d10 light damage, I'd be more excited.

General turn-in items (Cloak, Docent, Robe, Wraps, etc.): I admit that I was hoping to see some improvements to these items. The wraps still use old Undead Bane stats and the top tier of item remains level 24. I was definitely expecting to see level 28 versions introduced, and was disappointed to find otherwise. It would also be nice to see more variety in the anti-undead weaponry than just wraps.

General

Lag: I didn't experience much of this myself, but apparently it was a serious issue for others I was testing with. My own (rather understaffed) level 16-20 instance was able to kill the dragon in well under a minute once it spawned with little issue; it felt like we were running Casual difficulty. I think lowering the amount of players per instance might be reasonable if the difficulty is going to be scaled down and lag is proving a problem.

malkav1973
09-25-2013, 03:48 AM
Mabar was much more fun this time around than last year, for reasons already covered by others, but I have 1 big question regarding the signets: What EXACTLY is meant by "1 per day"?

Is it 1 every 24 hours? Does a countdown timer start when I complete the quest, and only after 24 hours can I earn another signet?

Is there a daily 'reset time'? For example the server 'day' starts at 00:00 GMT, so I can earn a signet at 23:55 on day 1, then earn another at 01:55 on day 2, but would have to wait until at least 00:01 on day 3 to earn the next one?

The specifics of the timing on this could significantly affect how players schedule their gaming time around their real life.

Sam1313
09-25-2013, 04:12 AM
If you love to grind for things (and we know DDO is loaded w/ stuff such as crafting, greensteel, etc that requires grinding), then Mabar is right up a player's alley.
This is sooo true. I have a full time career, a family, things that need to be done around the house, (Not to mention the Honey to do list) and things that I must do for other family members such as parents aunts and uncles. I don't see how anyone who actually has a real life as an adult has the time to grind out things like gs materials, scales, named loot. If the working adult was to do this in their free time then it would take YEARS and YEARS and then some more YEARS to complete. I personally don't have the time for this. When I log in I have about an hour max on weekdays to play and on the weekends maybe 3 hours max to play. So when I run a quest I EXPECT something worth a chit to drop on my first run because I do not live in my parents basement and therefore cannot sit there for hours on end grinding out for things. I have bills to pay. I have children that need attention and guidance. So yeah if you are unemployed, disabled or are a single person then grinding things in the game is right up your alley.

wildcard1978
09-25-2013, 04:21 AM

no red mobs spawning in cr 26 to 30 nd only spawning u to cr 26 mobs real hassle half the mobs ya done get mats for when your 28

Rubbinns
09-25-2013, 04:25 AM
no red mobs spawning in cr 26 to 30 nd only spawning u to cr 26 mobs real hassle half the mobs ya done get mats for when your 28

Uhh, what?

ChromeX
09-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Same lengthy grind for High cost loot. Shadar Kai instead of Giant undead skelly...ok, but imo Mabar should be all undead. The main thing that hasn't changed that really needs to is the main event. There was so much lag when it started no one could move, several if not all instances failed, no scale and a lost key after hours of playing , and waiting for the dragon. Not Fun!

noble_pirate
09-25-2013, 04:38 AM
...because we ourselves can't test it

jonqrandom
09-25-2013, 04:46 AM
for starters - i like mabar, i like the theme, i like the large and uncoordinated feel of the event, i like the loot. /disclosure.

first problem: walked into the 8-13 band at level 10 and walked back out a few minutes later with a couple of black opals because everything died in 2 hits to my int/dex rogue TWFing ghostbanes, and barely dropped collectables. it was like playing on casual. my girlfriend ended up doing the 4-9 band on her korthos-geared level 3 ranger for the same reason. please spawn mobs at sensible power levels, kthx?

there were the invisible, untargetable vampires that spam CC. having barely glimpsed at this thread i've noticed this was a common complaint. please don't let that happen for the event proper, it sucks. this is not the same as "challenge." it's just silly.

there were lots of mobs - not just mummies - that spawned and lay back down, or half-spawned and weren't visible but could still be hit. the mobs are not in schrodinger's box. can they either spawn or not, please?

on a related note, if they spawn, can they please spawn for long enough to do more than just tease us with the promise of potential collectibles? i repeatedly saw a bunch of mobs spawning, started running the few/several meters towards them, and saw them despawn inside of a couple of seconds. i was crushed, i tell you, crushed.

DefecTalisman
09-25-2013, 05:07 AM
What a surprise, just went to the bank in harbour to get some gear for the level I just took on my TR and bam! Mabar bestowed :)
No questions asked our Guild TR party hops on our epic toons. Get in to instance 1 for levels 26-30(no other instances at that point) and start cleaving away to get Blitz up. Epic moment, I hit the Blitz, 30% haste and 20% damage boost and plough into a mob of at least 20 monsters :). ***, every monster dead and so was blitz :(
Ok paying more attention this time I do the same, this time I'm watching the focus orb to see what mob I am actually obliterating. Not a single mob over 26, why when I am a level 28 is all the mob 2-6 levels lower than me?
Not only is it near impossible for a level 28 to hold a epic moment, but non of the mob where dropping collectibles.
My wife was on a level 25 and had no problems getting and maintaining Blitz.
Eventually I was able to maintain blitz for about an hour, but in order to keep it going I was forced to steal every level 26 kill I could find(which is basically 1/10 mob).

This cant be WAI, if the instance is for 26-30, why are all the mob lower than the instances level?
Also what happened to red names, over an hour in the graveyard and out of the 5 of us, no one saw a red name.
Where did vamp fangs go?

LadyKoneko
09-25-2013, 05:07 AM

All in all about the same as last year. A lot of lag when the dragon/spawns were near... and in our general area there were no summons (not even arti/druid pets).

I worked mostly in 26-30... seems like either too little spawns or too big.

Not sure how I like the sneakie living things in an undead event.. but then again I couldn't mass heal them to death. 26-30 Doesn't seem to have the varity of spawns I remember from last year in the 20-25.. is that just that tier?

Sad to see no +6s... but hopefully here in the furture!

Darkmits
09-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Most of what I'll say has probably be said, but I'll provide my feedback as well. The following is based on a 3rd life level 8 bard with a very bad build

-> Monsters seem undertuned. Fighting in your level-appropriate CR range will rarely see you need to stop for heals. It was possible to keep going without needing to exit the graveyard except to replenish bard songs in CR12-16.
-> Wights and Shadows barely seemed to scratch. Skeleton casters could deal 30% of one's hp with force missiles.
-> Monsters can die so quickly sometimes that a lot of time is spent running around for a next spawn instead of fighting.
-> Sometimes I would get the error of not receiving an item because the enemy was too low level for me. I think all times I got this was from the Wight variation.
-> Drop rate seems very low and sometimes erratic. I could go 20 monsters in a row without a drop, then have 5 items drop from the next 3 monsters (yes, multiple drops per monster)
-> I didn't encounter a single red-name, but that could be due to bad luck or others instakilling them.
-> A key was consumed to enter the arena, but there were not enough players to cover every room, leading to those of us who enter practically waste a key. I can understand if this is by design though to make people form groups pre-emptively before entering.

Suggestions:

- Buff enemy hp to keep players in the designated CR range.
- Increase drop rates proportionally to the hp buff to keep item harvest rate the same.
- Slightly increase melee damage of melee opponents, slightly decrease damage of casters.

Evin_Drake
09-25-2013, 05:21 AM

CR20 mobs are too low for level 26 - 30 players to get rewards. So yes, you are causing this for others.

Phaeton_Seraph
09-25-2013, 05:22 AM
This is a follow-up to my earlier post in this thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426507-Mabar-Sneak-Attack-Preview!?p=5112420&viewfull=1#post5112420).

In my first post, my experiences were in a full raid size group on Ghallanda in the 20-25 level range.

After posting a complete lag-out that gave the server-disconnect and terminated my client, I posted in this thread. After that I logged back in to a smaller normal sized party (i.e. 6 person, non raid).

Observations:
In that party, we experienced much less lag. I personally observed a bit of hop-skipping, and a couple momentary freezes, although other people in my party reported a little more of this than I experienced.

We also experienced significantly less over-spawning and its associated lag events. Even with another similar sized party active in our area.

In this latter part, I also experienced significantly more "too weak to give" messages and a much slower drop rate. After a point, I started looking for other players who might be in the area, "lowbie griefers," but I didn't see any. In fact, the other players not of our party were all closer to the lvl 25 end of the spectrum, unlike us, who were all 20-22.
That doesn't mean there weren't any. I have no idea how close they need to be to a spawn location. There were simply none I could observe.

We received no dust or fangs. None. And we killed many Liches.

Opinions:
My opinion is either tone down the a**-hunting Shadar-Kai, or the mobs throwing meteor strikes. (Asterisks are mine, BTW.)

In an area with a high spawn rate, the Shadar-Kai are too much. Reduce their spawn rates/loci or whatever.

With these numbers and aggressiveness, they're not "challenging," they're really freaking annoying. To the point where I'd chose not to run on epic levels, or snipe/pike from a "safe place" (the latter being less than optimally fun too, however just as "cheap" as your Shadar-Kai).

lyrecono
09-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Lastly, from a lore perspective, why were the Shatner-kai selected for an Ebberon event? I know they are hip, trendy, and now, but to them, Mabar is the place they go drinking when they get off work.

nope, still the wrong plane

L25 character in the L20-25 area...4/5 creatures are "under level". Lag zilla the entire time...

So basically Mabar is bad as usual....why don't they just FIX the stuff we complain about instead of adding new stuff?

so true

Yep!

All of them reported.

I was forced to report 13 toons last year (no mod reply, why turbine?)
They were folowing our (high level) group around, we explained what they did and the results, their awnser was: i follow you for better spawns and drops.

You're pressence lowers the average level, causing them to get all the messages.
You are grieving!

sight, failbar is back.

Lack due to auto agro when mobs spawn.
Grieving
No incentive to run for high levels (no lv 28 gear nor +6 tomes???)
Wrong plane emo assasins, where are our local shifter wherewolfs turbine?
Nightmare effect still broken (it's on the cloak)
Drop rate too low (fangs, dust)
amount needed to open too high, remember, you already have lost a large amount of active players since the introduction of the event.
Invised mobs should have damage numbers over their heads when you do hit them.

please dev's, fix before moving on

timtam
09-25-2013, 06:29 AM
About the "too low" messages:
Many times when you go into an x-y levels instance you see monsters much below CR x, because players of a lower level entered that instance.
I can understand a lvl x-1 wanting to enter but there is no reason to hurt the proper level toons inside.

Please set the minimum CR of mobs in an x-y cr instance to be x. even x+1.
This is not a complete fix to the issue but it is better than the current situation. It also means that if a low level toon wants to get to that instance they will have to deal with the correct difficulty instead of imposing a lower diff on the entire instance.
BTW, these players go to a higher level instance because of the level of mobs in their instance being too low. guess why that happens :) .

About the lag:
I went into a cr 25-28 instance of the dragon room. we had about 4 ppl in each room, and 2 on each lever.
When the dragon showed up the lag was so bad i couldn't move, swap weapons, or attack.
Firewalls and Blade Barriers died out, and the dragon and mobs were destroying the altars while they were defenseless.
Needless to say the attempt failed.
Can you do something about the horrible lag in there or at least advise on how to make it affect us to a lesser degree? If it's not a server/game issue you must have some idea on how players can reduce the impact on themselves.

Aside from that thanks for the event, I like mabar (even though it's the same loot and all, it's a nice change for a limited time).

timebandit73
09-25-2013, 06:37 AM
all I could get was lich dust and the bones after a few hours...oh and 3 keys........did have a bit of lag only when 20 mobs spawned around me cause I was in a pack of casters started to dc a few times but that's getting to be expected.....always after any update my caster spells don't work right....fizzle....oh no where'd my spell go......im finally going to die . I guess I got allot of stuff on my screen and some old gear that's probly what causes issues.

Sarzor
09-25-2013, 07:12 AM
All of my experiences on Orien

Good things:
1) Had a spectral dragon instance (Level 12-17 I think) with 0 lag. It made the instance fairly easy, but other people in other level ranges were complaining of lagwipes, so it may be a mixed bag. Overall I was quite pleased with the lack of lag, at least for me.

Bad things:
1) Even as a level 13 in the 12-17 instance, I was getting "this creature is too weak." This was with normal wights and wraiths. All skellies I saw (which were blackbone knights and arcane archmages) were fine.
2) Vampires seem bugged. I kept getting damaged by them and seeing the bat-effect, but never saw the vampire.
3) Killed the higher end vampires (some weird name) and even after a bunch of us killing 15-20 of them, saw no fangs drop.
4) I'd like to see some of the effects buffed. For example, the wraps are alot less useful than generic ghostbane items. The loot seems a bit underpowered compared to the as-of-late increased random generated loot power.

Overall, there are still bugs, but at least in my case, the lack of lag in the dragon instance made everything ok. If I see lag in the actual event I will however be quite disappointed that the main complaint has not been fixed. (And seeing other people's components here, seems it may not have been fixed)

CEastwood
09-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Great to have a sneak peek but ... started really late for European players - please give us a chance.

Kill stealing - only 2 red named liches and no red named vampires in 1 hour in CR20+ instances both of which yielded no return for my poor monk taking all the aggro and some ranged onlooker obviously reaping the benefit - please could you look at the spawn/drop rates.

No black opals dropped at all for me

SturmBrightblood
09-25-2013, 07:18 AM

There was not enough undead after level 20 and what undead was in the 20-24 wound up being to low to grant rewards. Where is the undead giants?

akyron
09-25-2013, 07:24 AM
I had never participated before in this but I had fun soloing with a level 20 monk on the highest level instance.

I have not died as long as I can remember due to some greater mark of healing and speedy getaway power but it was so laggy I died three times..

I healed myself at a quarter hit points but was barely able to click or switch weapons.. I would click and move on only to find I had already died somehow..

I collected a thousand dust motes but was unable to locate where to turn them in in the time limit. I thnk perhaps having a few pumpkin vendors in different areas and zones might stop some of awful lag. Everyone seems to congregate in one area and that is best avoided. Those human assassins mobs are pretty tough. Kind of over the top really. The vampire lords and liches were fun but I never got a drop so I dont know if they were supposed to drop anything.....

Thank you for your hard work. Its a graveyard so I wont complain about it being too dark to see...Maybe I could carry a light...

soulpownder
09-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Nice sneak peek but I noticed 2 problems, maybe it's just me but the monsters have a really weird target box I tried to cast spells on them and half the time it's like I hit nothing, not even miss, evade, or reflex save simply nothing. The other thing is the super quick reset of monsters in some occasion, like they spawn and litteraly 2 seconds after they reset and vanish...

I hope those issues will be fixed before the actual event.

Thanks for making events!

you need to have more shadows, wraths, and specter on level 8-13 thx :)

DragonLander
09-25-2013, 07:43 AM
I really liked the updates, i only got to play on my main toon so this is from a L14-15 perspective
i could use my old stuff which is fun cause otherwise why keep it?
the invisible vampire on L12-17 was annoying only AOE when he was hitting people actually would connect at which he would instantly turn into bats and we would still be getting hit by him, so we had to AOE healing and constant fire spells to hit him
the sleeping mummy that only got up to hit was kinda funny
when facing the dragon there was no auto-team like in Crystal Cove that would be good to do so that the instance fills up and has a better chance of defeating the dragon as long as they are around the same levels (say 2 level + or - same as the enemies being too low to give stuff)
when we defeated the dragon we were instantly transported to the instance for the highest team member or just auto-jumped into the L25-30 instance cause i was instantly killed by something that was L28
anyways it was really fun and i loved the new items.

XiaNYdE
09-25-2013, 07:55 AM
I really do like the Mabar event, but the lag makes it pointless and it's only gotten worse over the years, so if you cant fix the lag just scrap the event and give us something that works :/

ddo.rsmo.pt
09-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Just my two cents:

- I found out Mabar was up when suddenly the game almost came to a halt. It got normal a few minutes later, but this might not bode well.+
- Vampires are doing the same stunt as Ogre Magi (since the U19) - become invisible and are still able to attack. The Vampires can be attacked, though, if you are lucky enough to strike them. No fangs, though. Vampires on other instances (Temple of Vol, for example) do not do this.
- Playing the level 16 instance, I saw no new monsters, and I saw no level 28 version of items. Not sure this is intentional at this time.
- Mummies rise from the air, instance of spawning under the ground.

Carry on.

Loromir
09-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Played lvl 20-25 instance...never saw a singel vampire. Killed many litches and got not litch dust. Is this WAI?

LadyAngelEyes
09-25-2013, 08:15 AM
so, i was so excited to see mabar... i didn't do it last time because there was no change or updates... i did it this time and got bored really fast. tried it on several different levels, solo and grouped. it all died and i got the loot! but it didn't count for much. are they planning to make this stuff (at least the skeletons and wraiths) available in the MM? I wanted vampires, and got none, zero sip, nada. when I can go in on a lvl 11 and run around on my lows and go into the high instances and survive, there is something wrong. the lag just about drove me nuts... expect a ton of people and adjust please!

Dannenlor
09-25-2013, 08:16 AM

same old mabar....

Ellihor

Need lv 28 items. I was really excepting cloak and robe that should be useful up to lv 30. Its pretty easy to upgrade them for example just give the robe necro focus +X (X being the top at lv 30), Void lore XX, nullification 138 and change the proc to inflict moderate wounds.

moomooprincess
I had two characters around level 15 try things out and both came across some sort of vampire who had fairly powerful attacks but couldn't be located (at least by me). This was a real pain in the butt when the thing was hanging around the turn-in jack-o-lantern.

Unholy Blight is being cast by something. I notice swirling bats and a red splotch on ground but never see the monster, I suspect it is a vampire, but no confirmation.

Never saw one red named spawn.

I was on my level 16 character.

Monsters 6 levels less than my level were spawning.

No monsters higher than a level 14 spawned.

2 dragon runs. two fails. Just not enough participants at levels 16 or less.

WilliamBraveheart
09-25-2013, 08:19 AM

was there for 4 hours and enjoyed it! however, 1 signet per day really blows. No +6 tomes is a fail and needing 3 signets for a +5 tome means no chance of doing that in one night. the Mobs were great but the reward seems to low.

PNellesen
09-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Basically - no response at all.

As others have asked - why even ask for our opinions and concerns when nothing at all appears to be done about them?

With that said, in the vain hope that anyone with the ability or desire to make any changes has actually read past page 1:

1 - Only ran for maybe an hour, mostly in a 13-17 group on my level 16 Cleric on Orien. Got lucky and got a dragon run in, no issues to report (other than BtC signets suck).

2 - Invisible Vampires are annoying as h*ll. Please fix.

3 - No Vampire fangs dropped that I could see in party chat.

Despite my comments above, I like the Mabar event and look forward to running it every time. Just wish some of the issues that have been in place since the first Mabar would be fixed someday.

redspecter23
09-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Just doing a bit of brainstorming here but perhaps remove the level gating on the dragon instances completely. To compensate for low level characters and high levels in the same dungeon, make the mob CR vary wildly from area to area. Basically level gate the areas in the dungeon instead of the dungeon itself. SW corner is 1 - 8. SE corner is 9 - 16. NE corner is 17-22. NW corner is 23-28. Have players spawn into the dungeon into their appropriate areas. There are likely to be way more high level toons than low level toons so with some communication you can have each area manned. This would help by allowing all levels ranges to participate and keep empty dungeons to a minimum. There would have to be some odd code to scale the dragon between teleports, but it may be doable.

As for the lag, I'd start by minimizing the amount of mobs that spawn. I'm thinking one tough mob is better on lag than 5 weak mobs. Put a lock on summons and pets. It's unfortunate, but it would help reduce lag. If you absolutely have to, lock out all persistent AOE. Now I'm not a fan of doing these things, but if it is necessary to reduce lag, then I say it's the only way to keep the event enjoyable.

Catteras
09-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Played for a little bit on my lvl 25 FVS in 26 to 30 instance. Items of note:

1. Tons of shadar kai and lich spawns. Despite killing many liches, i never got dust.
2. Never saw a vampire or any other undead. Lame. Is this Mabar or Shadowfell? My cleric used to have fun every year once a year at Mabar. Now i guess he will just sit in the closet gathering more dust.
3. Liches were smokig me for around 400 damage at times. I am fine if i keep renewal up, but if not things got dangerous.
4. I only got item drops, fingerbones, etc, a couple times for spending about half an hour killing shadarkai and liches. If drops are this bad and i cant have a killing spree on my cleric just turning every thing, then i see no reason to waste my time in Mabar this year.

noble_pirate
09-25-2013, 08:35 AM

As for the lag, I'd start by minimizing the amount of mobs that spawn. I'm thinking one tough mob is better on lag than 5 weak mobs. Put a lock on summons and pets. It's unfortunate, but it would help reduce lag. If you absolutely have to, lock out all persistent AOE. Now I'm not a fan of doing these things, but if it is necessary to reduce lag, then I say it's the only way to keep the event enjoyable.

agreed

xdonjuan117x
09-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Tonight only (6:00 PM until 12:00 AM Eastern, -4 GMT!) Visit Delera's Graveyard in House Jorasco to see a special preview of the Mabar Festival of Endless Night! Once you're done, come back here and tell us about your experience! Thanks, and have fun! Thank You for the Darken skies once again...I enjoyed the new take to it..seperate instance a plus...come back demonic skies...I still need more un-dead trophies.

Marakahn
09-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Please don't release it resembling anything like what it did in the preview. All of last years problems are still there with a few more added in as well as double the amount of lag.

The regulars are only going to run it once per day per char with keys that they have collected in previous years, leaving the summoning chamber to be opened exclusively by those collecting opals in the low level instances.

Considering the amount of lag we are subject to, the altars have far too little HP.

Latecomers are being subject to overflow instances that only have a tiny amount of players in them, which results in a guaranteed failed run.

Mosasi
09-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I ran the event in the 26-30 area on a 27 monk, and found the event to be decent.

It was far less crowded in the few instances I tried than in previous years which meant over all a noticeable drop in lag. After hunting for 45 minutes, and nailing 32 liches, and 78 vampires I walked away with 1 lich dust and 0 fangs. This seems a little excessive in my opinion, but to be honest I'm not sure what a fair drop rate would be exactly.

I liked the rewards for the signets, but found the cap of 1 signet per day to be rather restrictive. This leaves very little motivation to participate as there are also no lvl 26-28 upgrades to the items, and no new items purchasable through votes/scales/fangs/dust.

I missed out on the dragon last night, and as others have mentioned an announcement that the event has opened and will be closing in X minutes would be appreciated as running around hunting can become rather consuming, and one forgets to check in from time to time. While this is far from necessary, it seems like a simple and beneficial thing to have in place so folks can maximize their participation in the event.

I will say that the spawn rates seemed a little slow in the 26-30 area I was in, and that when stuff did spawn it often spawned in really large numbers. I'd make several laps without running into a single creature, and then suddenly one lap run into swarms of them. While large numbers of spawns are actually pretty good for the high levels, a higher rate of spawns over all would be beneficial as well.

Myrddinman
09-25-2013, 08:54 AM
I have been pretty excited to see Mabar back this year, but after seeing no new items (again), same lag/mechanic issues (again), I'm not sure I'll even bother with it. This is sad because I dig it (thematically), but if I'm never going to be able to get a scale (without spending thousands of Motes- is it still 10,000?) to upgrade my items, why do it. The simple fact that you can spend hours with no XP and no loot, and then fail to get the one thing you need due to something completely outside of your control is immensely frustrating.

There are some really great suggestions throughout this thread, and hopefully someone will listen :/

2pleasegimmie
09-25-2013, 08:56 AM
I messed around a bit on my level 28 character, in the 26-30 zone and fought CR 22 Shadar-Kai (beings from the plane of shadow, not plane of endless night. But who cares about lore?) and got "The Creature was too weak to give rewards" a bunch.

I see the traditional loot hasn't been updated. So all the dragon scales, lich dusts, and vampire fangs that I saved from previous years are useless. And now there's Signets! Just like heroic commendations, Turbine has decided to make a new currency obsoleting our prior efforts. This one's even limited to one per day.

So... I'm going to maybe spend 20 minutes getting a few keys on chars that need them, and then wait 6+ hours for the 2 people who actually have stuff to grind on a new alt to grind out motes to open the dragon. Repeat. Ignore otherwise...

Please reduce the turn-in on the dragon events, and increase the item drop rates (or unbug the drop rates, or both). Since the reward for signets is gated anyway, opportunity to actually get one would be nice for those folks who cannot play much, or are forced to play at off-peak times.

Other than that, the mobs were resetting much too quickly, and the usual aoe kill-stealers were doing their best to ruin the fun for everyone else. Now we have monks with all-is-nothing spam too :(

zDragonz
09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
A lower than level character of the level range the instance is intended for is a problem.

Monsters that were too low level were spawning and wasting my time. This happened a lot which must mean lower levels that should not be there were getting rewards or they would not be there in the first place. Or they were bored and were not getting rewards but wanted more of a challenge. Either way it is no fun to get the message that the monster was too low level, therefore you get nothing.

Private instances for solo or groups who want to do this would be better for the event or don't give them rewards for doing this so they don't do it, pure and simple.

I understand the need to want more of a challenge and go into the higher level range. For example: A level 16 going into the level 20-24 or something would be fun but it comprises the event and it is only a win for the level 16 and the level 20-24's are not benefiting from it.

The level 16 is feeding off the level 20-24 spawns that are created by those players who are at the appropriate level of the instance. The lower levels are not adding any enjoyment but to themselves and causing grief!

If a lower level character that should not be there is doing this then they should get a message: The monster you killed was very high level, good work! But the Mabar gods don't feel it is necessary to reward you, but yea good job anyway!

Also a message that says: The low level monsters you are spawning here are causing grief, please use a different level range appropriate to your level.

Am I right or what?

darksol23
09-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Same event. Same Lag. Same Issues. Different Mobs. Different Year. That about sums it up...

This is my primary issue with the event. If you're in the middle of a TR during the event, that character is very unlikely to get signets due to lack of participation in the lower level ranges. That issue is compounded significantly if you don't play during "US Prime Time." It really would have been nice for signets to be BtA (even if the number/day was limited) so you could run with a max level group and choose to use them on whichever character you wanted.

SerPounce
09-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Unplayable lag during spectral dragon fight (Cannith, lvl 26-30 instance). Everything was fine until the dragon spawned at which point it was about 5 seconds of frozen for one second of action with most attacks/heals/chat/etc delayed by about 10-20 seconds. as soon as we were booted from the instance the lag stopped.

It wasn't "we wiped, so lets blame it on the lag" lag, it was real lag-lag. As in "something is obviously really wrong with the process" lag.

I'm not too annoyed. It was preview night, these things happen, but that really needs to be dealt with before the event starts for real. There will be rage-quitting levels of frustration if that's the norm during the main event.

Qaliya
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Monsters that were too low level were spawning and wasting my time. This happened a lot which must mean lower levels that should not be there were getting rewards or they would not be there in the first place. Or they were bored and were not getting rewards but wanted more of a challenge. Either way it is no fun to get the message that the monster was too low level, therefore you get nothing.

Again, I don't think this is what's going on here. When I was on my 13 in a 12-17 instance I occasionally got that message despite there not being lower-level players around. When I went into a 26-30 instance, I didn't see even one example of a low-level monster spawning in well over an hour. I spawned Shadar-kai and liches just like the epic players did.

And given that the at-level monsters are a joke, many players do prefer the higher-level instances. They aren't griefing -- they're trying to have fun, just like you. Trying to assassinate assassins, knowing that one false move and I was toast... much more fun than slaughtering endless quantities of pushover wights.

Luxgolg
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Just the invis vampires for me. Very annoying. Lag issues went away by switching instances. :)

Mystera
09-25-2013, 09:18 AM
My brother and I were very excited to run the event, but were disappointed and gave up after 3 hours due to the following:

1. First dragon raid, lvl 26-30, was a complete slide show. Couldn't even tell what our health was or pull levers. Raid failed in 30 seconds.

2. Second dragon raid, lvl 26-30, did not have much lag, but we still failed before we got the dragon down to half despite having a full raid group of some of the great toons on the server that were all communicating over voice (props to the person who took the initiative to go to each room and make sure people joined the raid group for the instance). Problem is the gargoyle hit points are too high on lvl 26-30, and when you get swamped by 10+ gargoyles you can't kill or crowd control them fast enough to prevent the altar from getting destroyed or levers from getting pulled. While all the lvl 25 and lower groups were reporting successes, I did not hear of one lvl 26-30 success on our server. You need to go back to the drawing board on lvl 26-30, because if it goes that way live I'm not going to waste my time.

3. Farmed ingredients outside for a while, until we realized that all the ingredients were worthless since there are no ML 28 items to purchase, and we already have the older stuff.

4. Quite the event since lvl 26-30 raiding was impossible and the other ingredients are worthless for anyone that already has the ML 24 items.

Teelk_Jafffa
09-25-2013, 09:24 AM
I played my level 25 cleric for 2 hours in the 26-30 range. I ran with a full group of 12 for probably 90 minutes of that time. I did pull "one" key and two lich dusts. However I did not pull any vampire fangs. We ran the end fight event and killed the dragon. I was running both a coffee and a draught. The spawn rate made the adventure very fun. The BTC drop of the signet is going to make the event very difficult for my other characters to play in the event though. Most of my other characters/toons are in the tr'ing cycle process and in the under level 10 range. I did not see a single group up during the evening for this level range. While I understand this was a preview and the one per day "probably" restricts the signet from being BTA, I will not spend a lot of time participating in the event due to the restrictions of the items. Overall the playability of the event was very fun, but also very very laggy. I did notice a very disturbing mix of non undead to the event. More than 40 percent of the mobs were the new Shadowfell type creatures. My understanding of the Mabar event is this is undead, not an invasion of Shadowfell. I seriously question the addition of those type of mobs just the make it more difficult for the higher level ranges. A true revamp/ improvement would include new "undead" type monsters not a recycle of something already in game. While the giant skeletons were annoying at least they were undead.

Teelk_Jafffa
09-25-2013, 09:26 AM
I would also like to make one suggestion. Provide an opportunity to either switch an instance or the options for the raid leader to set the instance so you entire group goes to the same instance of the end dragon fight event.

Jedthered
09-25-2013, 09:26 AM
some of the rain animation near the vault is "dropping" about 3 foot above the ground. A greater drop rate and spawn rate would be nice. As would new items from the trader. Lag issue did not seem any different than last year. So I would guess that you just need to add a few instance servers. You know the 1s. The ones the management said you did not need and were not in the budget :). All in all good job to the techs and coders. Management needs to get you new toys for the lag issue though

Grahson
09-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Come on this is about killing undead. More Shadar Kai than undead in the 20 - 25 range. I realize that the giant skelies caused problems last year but at least give us undead to replace them.

Gljosh
09-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I really do like the new rubies (Silver AND 1d4 Light damage Min Lv 1!!!) but can we have the solar enchant work with Crafted Items? It would be a nice boost to Cannith, Greensteel, and Alchemical items. The signet idea sounds pretty good, finally I have a reason to burn through ALL the keys I have from Previous years...unless we get a Key Turn in for Motes. Currently I would need to run this everyday and kill the dragon, roughly for 9 days to get a few Rubies (one for Aryln's Staff and one for later in the game) and maybe the +5 tome. Could we add Tome Upgrades as well?

MeNMyArrow
09-25-2013, 09:45 AM
I think it would be nice if the items that can be purchased with motes can be updated to epic levels, such as the cloak.. it only goes to level 24, can we possibly get the update to at least to level 27? Also there was terrible lag in all instances last night on the Cannith server, I don't visit other servers so not sure what others were doing. Otherwise Mabar is always a good time :-). Thanks for preview.

Who_Knows
09-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Typical stuff---nothing has really changed since the first one. Still issues with "invisible" monsters--monster get hung on the tombs and their spawn rate is still slow as ever. Aside from the same old items, the lack of intelligent AI, the valueless items in exchange and the absolute horrid lag which is caused by Mabar I guess it will create the same type of reaction as every other one...It is like taking some good ice cream and eating it until you HATE even seeing it in the store.

Sookuri
09-25-2013, 09:53 AM
...going on what a large, friendly group I ran with had to say:

It would be vastly improved and vastly less frustrating if in the level instances, the APPROPRIATE LEVEL MONSTEES SPAWN IRRESPECTIVE OF THE LEVEL OF WHO IS PRESENT. In this way, if a lowby decides to take their chances in a higher level instance they don't cause other players to be frustrated by low level spawns that yield no loot.

Also, the vamps are invisible. All the time. Pretty annoying.

Also, why not make it possible to upgrade items to level 28???

Also...oh Good God the lag, especially when there is a big spawn...just hORRible...

Sook

;)

1Soulless1
09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Lvl 28 in the 25+ instance:

HOLY MABAR LAG! Dragon summoning chamber, I and everyone else couldn't move. Half the raid party I was in insta-died. Lots of upset people. I just kept casting spells, saw the motion, spells must have gone off as things were dying and I saw numbers - albeit very much after when they were cast.

More mobs were "under level" and such have no rewards! Why? It's the top tier! Everything should be high enough level to give ingredients. If it's spawning lower level mobs because of lower levels toon in the instance, stop it! Let the lower levels die and switch instances where they belong.

It needs lots and lots of work. It's horrible at the moment.

Pretty much what preppy said.

Was messing around in there for a hour or two after work, I got lots of 'this creature was to week to give a reward' messages (Shadi-kar). I got more lich dusts in that little run around then I did all of last year, no vampire fangs, no opals.

I noticed a lot of mosters would spawn then instantly 'rubber band' and white box.

Dragon Run... the lag was stupid even for DDO lag, wipe, people raged.

No +6 tomes only +5 on the trader turn in.

I was talking with a few people who where in there while I was doing other stuff and as soon as they said they where doing the dragon, I (as in Me) would start to lag in other quests if there was a big spawn.

If it goes live like this just like CC I won't be running it, altho I really do want that ruby and +6 tome if you put it back on the loot tables.

helzaar01
09-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Very cool! Although there were absolutely NO drops from the red named monsters (at least from the seven I killed). Event needed to last allot longer too for those of us who have jobs and can't be on all day.

zDragonz
09-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Again, I don't think this is what's going on here. When I was on my 13 in a 12-17 instance I occasionally got that message despite there not being lower-level players around. When I went into a 26-30 instance, I didn't see even one example of a low-level monster spawning in well over an hour. I spawned Shadar-kai and liches just like the epic players did.

And given that the at-level monsters are a joke, many players do prefer the higher-level instances. They aren't griefing -- they're trying to have fun, just like you. Trying to assassinate assassins, knowing that one false move and I was toast... much more fun than slaughtering endless quantities of pushover wights.

Good to hear this. I was wondering about it. My post is utterly destroyed! :)

lyrecono
09-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Hey cordovan

12th page, mind dropping in tomorrow and give us a heads up?
to acknowledge all the problems we have posted so far?

a summery and possible fixes:
Drop rates of fangs and dust is far too low or bugged.
Turn in number to open the room to the dragon is far to high, the low population and lack of propper loot already makes this hard but for people who play outside of peak hours it becommes a problem.
*loot problems: no +6 tomes, nightmare affect on cloaks is still bugged/nerfed, no lv 28 gear*
Invisible vampires.
back glidding mummies.
barely undead mobs at high lv.

crippeling lag caused by the auto agro'd spawning mobs in the dragon room!!!!! (make m neutral first might solve issues)

Grieving of lower level players, using the higher ones pressence to get item drops, the lower the average level of mobs, causing no items to drop for them. Please lock lowbies out of higher level instances.

Lot's of work still to be done but a honnest dev responce would set a lot of people at ease.

jhadden30
09-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Same dragon lag fail as last year and major lag everywhere else as well.

No lich dust for killing multiple liches in 16-20 level range, they would drop finger bones or chipped skulls instead.

No fangs from killing vampires, if you could even see them in the first place.

Mummies sliding on their backs, i chased one for half a mile last night. Seriously, it looked like it was bobsledding.

Non undead in an undead special event.

Other than all that, keep up the good work.

SickCat
09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
I'd love to give a glowing review of Mabar in its latest incarnation, but, unfortunately, last night was 50% misery. I had a GREAT time in the open area butchering baddies wholesale, even though a couple of times I got the "You have died" box, and then actually died 10 seconds later on the screen. Was monsterously fun. Then, the dragon fight. I was able to get in there three times, and all three times while the fight was in progress, I 'rubber banded' all over the place and eventually couldn't move at all. Then I couldn't move at all, then I got the failure message, and was ported out. Crippling 'lag'. Not sure what you'd call it otherwise, but the game was absolutely unplayable, even after I was ported outside for a short time.

That's my experience thus far.

CaptainSpacePony
09-25-2013, 10:43 AM
My feedback:

I was in the graveyard for a several hours and fan (and failed) 2 dragons. After the 2nd dragon run, I shut off my computer so give my blood pressure a chance to settle down.

1. It is a LOOOONG time between dragon opportunities. I'd like to see the required count reduced or the drop rate increased.

2. It would be nice if you could reenter after a failed dragon, kind of like Crystal Cove. Instead of the doors locking at 10 min, they stay open. I'm not sure how to best address the unintended consequences of low population instances though.

3. Performance in the dragon can be horrible and often leads to failure. It can literally be minutes before you can move, cast spells, etc. Impossible to win or survive under such conditions.

4. I said this last year, and the year before, but the wild-wild west instance makes communication in a dragon instance frustratingly challenging. After lag, it his the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR for a successful run. Many players don't understand how the instances are filled or how to chat to other players in their instance. I could tell story after story on this subject. I would prefer something like this: To enter the doors you must not be in a party. Upon entering, you are automatically joined to a raid group (or regular party) for your public instance. Once that group fills, another is automatically created. It would not be perfect (because I assume it would be hard to increase the max number of players in a group above 12). Now before someone responds with, "all you have to do is use gen chat and form parties..." t get that. I'm saying that can be very difficult since so many people don't understand and it can be very frustrating.

5. I like the addition of the new non-undead mobs in the graveyard. Makes me feel less obligated to play a cleric.

6. Why won't my sane trinket summon stuff when summon monster spells work fine?

7. Sure wish I could get some reknown.

8. DDO and Mabar should be fun. When you are lag-locked for 3 minutes, or fell like yelling at other lvl 21 players in party with 27s that they are not in the same instance, I have trouble enjoying DDO.

alancarp
09-25-2013, 10:55 AM
1. Do not collect the keys until the doors are sealed. This would allow people in under-staffed instances the chance to escape without losing a key.
AND/OR
2. If any instance is under-manned (<16) with 3 minutes to go, kick everybody out with a message about re-entering. On that re-entry, place them
into other - full - instances; do not create new ones within that 3 minute window.

Thud
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
It would be nice, maybe even possible, to fight the spectral dragon without the lag spikes. Maybe a list of 'do nots' to avoid the spikes? Both times in the chamber led to no movement on level 25+.

Missing_Minds
09-25-2013, 10:59 AM

While the correct creatures spawned, those are too low of CR to get anything off of. I got the "too low of level" warning several times last night when lower levels were running around.

You were "spawn griefing" as it were, successfully. And no, I'm not upset with testing being done.

Missing_Minds
09-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Come on this is about killing undead. More Shadar Kai than undead in the 20 - 25 range. I realize that the giant skelies caused problems last year but at least give us undead to replace them.

And miss a chance to advertise about new iconics to sell?

And by your argument, you want the sucubus gone as well.

Dj_Fisty
09-25-2013, 11:03 AM
I'll Pick Though And Quote What I've Seen...

L25 character in the L20-25 area...4/5 creatures are "under level". Lag zilla the entire time... | I received many lich dust (over 20) and no vampire fangs on level 26-30 instance. There seems to be a problem with the drop rate of those 2. My party had really bad lag for a few minutes and were all booted out (edit) and count reset) (Sarlona instance 2 level 26-30). Including the dragon fight - We never saw the dragon in our chamber (level 26-30) after several minutes. The group failed for reasons unknown - I guess an altar was destroyed. | A CR 26 - 30 area contain CR 22 - 26 mob, which is incorrect, most of those monsters yields nothing for a level 27 or 28. |

Now don't take this the wrong way, I love the Mabar event but might as well get rid of the x - y levels and just go back to what you had because it doesn't solve a thing due to the fact it's not LOCKED for them levels and spawns things below the level that person needs and seems to lag more. I played with my guild in Mabar in the 26-30 @ level 27 Cleric for 3 hours to only received 1200 motes but 2 years ago within an hour i was getting around 1000 per hour and last year 0 due to the "glitch" that wasn't spawning anything for the max level 25. Now what I noticed is this, People ranging from level 9 - 25 are in the 26-30 area and once i made sure they weren't close enough to spawn stuff at their level it still spawned things lower level then i was from the ranges of 22-24 which my level 27 received the warning "to low level".

The lag was so bad half the guild just quit out of the game and said they'll be skipping Mabar due to the fact that "they die on the screen before their HP is gone" "too laggy to even move" "keeps saying to low level". So I Hope You Guys Fix Some Issues This Year Turbine And Make This A Fun Event For All And Not Just Those Like Me That Have A Top Grade PC.

All on sarlona server

Ding, Fries Are DONE, Ding, Fries Are DONE, Ding, Fries Are DONE, Would You Like A Resurrection, Would You Like A Resurrection.

Qaliya
09-25-2013, 11:04 AM
While the correct creatures spawned, those are too low of CR to get anything off of. I got the "too low of level" warning several times last night when lower levels were running around.

You were "spawn griefing" as it were, successfully. And no, I'm not upset with testing being done.

I was level 13 and these mobs had CRs in the 20s. Again, not one single solitary level-appropriate mob spawned near me.

And I wasn't "griefing" regardless -- both because I was there to play, not cause problems for others, and because I mostly did it off on my own, away from other players.

All that said, I definitely support a minimum CR by instance -- because that should be the entire point. And if I'm in a higher-level instance it's because I want higher-level mobs anyway.

ETA: Those saying that the level ranges don't do anything forget what it was like before them. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better.

WWen077
09-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi, I noticed that the highest level robe of shadow this Mabar is still lv 24! Since the level cap is raised to 28, I kinda was hoping for a lv 28 robe of shadow to grind for as part of my endgear for necro/enchantment wizze. I was so looking forward to things like:
-nullification +133
-Void Lore +20% crit chance
-necro dc +4/5
-false life +50
-Greater boon of the undeath

Consider the robe advancing in lv in the manner 4,8,12,16,20,24...so its quite logical there should be a lv24+4=28!

Please include it in the real mabar event...I'm sure a lot of players will be very grateful if you did!

Wujeck :)

WilliamBraveheart
09-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Unplayable lag during spectral dragon fight (Cannith, lvl 26-30 instance). Everything was fine until the dragon spawned at which point it was about 5 seconds of frozen for one second of action with most attacks/heals/chat/etc delayed by about 10-20 seconds. as soon as we were booted from the instance the lag stopped.

It wasn't "we wiped, so lets blame it on the lag" lag, it was real lag-lag. As in "something is obviously really wrong with the process" lag.

I'm not too annoyed. It was preview night, these things happen, but that really needs to be dealt with before the event starts for real. There will be rage-quitting levels of frustration if that's the norm during the main event.

played 2 instances of the dragon on Argo last night 1 21-25 and the other 26-30 had no lag at all. completed both instances.

twigzz
09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
I was level 13 and these mobs had CRs in the 20s. Again, not one single solitary level-appropriate mob spawned near me.

And I wasn't "griefing" regardless -- both because I was there to play, not cause problems for others, and because I mostly did it off on my own, away from other players.

All that said, I definitely support a minimum CR by instance -- because that should be the entire point. And if I'm in a higher-level instance it's because I want higher-level mobs anyway.

ETA: Those saying that the level ranges don't do anything forget what it was like before them. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better.

You might spawn the right type mobs but they dont count for us. I have 2 accounts and logged them both together. A lvl16 and a lvl28. The 16 would spawn the right mobs(Shadar, liches etc) but they wouldnt count for my lvl28. I don't know why you wont except this. Yes your cool and want a tougher fight but you are ruining the instance for the appropriate lvl range characters.

Qaliya
09-25-2013, 11:19 AM
If that's the case then they should fix that. It makes little sense to have ranges where there is no minimum and maximum cap.

Anyway, if I'm off on my own I'm not ruining anything for anyone. I will be sure to stay away from other players if I go into a higher-level instance again (though I will be higher level myself anyway when it returns).