PDA

View Full Version : Elven TWF warrior?

PKMN12
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I have not been playing for a while now, mostly waiting for the enhancement pass and now that i finally realized it has happened i am back, YAY. I was wondering if anyone could help me by pointing me to a Elven TWF Fighter build, i remeber for a while that anything not human or warforged wizard/sorc was looked down upon, is that still true? Thanks for any help.

unbongwah
09-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Welcome back. :)

The bad news is elves are still the Rodney Dangerfield of DDO: they can't get no respect - no respect at all!

The good news is: so, who cares? The vast majority of DDO content is not difficult enough to require minmaxing your characters; the right build helps, but a lot depends on gear & player skill too. [Like the Boy Scouts, proper preparation prevents poor plundering performance.] And for that content which you do want to minmax for, you're gonna be riding the TR / ED / gear-grind train for so long, a "gimpy" first life will seem like a minor road-bump by comparison (IMHO)... ;)

As for the U19 changes, here are some of the more interesting ones for elves:

They eliminated the feat & spellcasting pre-reqs for Arcane Archer (AA); so it is now possible to play, e.g., a pure Kensei AA (although I would still blend it with melee).
You can now have up to 7 PrE trees active (1 racial + up to 6 class), which allows for greater customization options; i.e., PrEs are no longer mutually exclusive, although APs limit how much you can take. [Elven / HE AA tree still counts as a rgr class tree; the other racial PrEs haven't been implemented yet.]
They eliminated all of the Lesser & Greater Dragonmarks (DMs); instead, you take the Least DM feat and buy the rest w/APs. The bad news for elves is Displacement got moved to Greater DM slot while Shadow Walk is now the Lesser DM, even though Displacement is a lower-lvl spell. Which means it costs more APs to get Displacement with fewer charges per rest than if they had left it as Lesser. :mad:
They eliminated the Toughness enhancements; instead everyone gets more HPs at lvl 1 and every 5 class lvls, some PrE trees also provide extra HPs. This makes Toughness feat less mandatory (though still a good idea if you can spare the feat).

PKMN12
09-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks, what is a good starting point for a TWF Elven warrior? I do not have any of the B2P classes so monk is out of the question. I was thinking:

16 str
17 dex
14 con

and start with TWF and Power attack. then get the TWF chain when I can and possibly take stuff like Cleave. I would also like to take some archery feets as well and put some points into arcane archer, but i have no idea what to do and when with those or the Enchantments. No idea which ones or good or not, and I cannot seem to find a build I could use as a basis since i am terrible at character building beyond the basic concepts. Thanks again for the help and any other help.

unbongwah
09-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I posted a pure Kensei TWF+AA build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/269669-The-Bowmaster-(A-beginners-Kensei-Arcane-Archer-By-request)?p=5082294&viewfull=1#post5082294) to the Bowmaster thread a few weeks ago. I specced it as an Archery Kensei and front-loaded the ranged feats; although I actually think the sensible thing to do is focus on melee first (Light Blades Kensei using rapiers, so take mostly-Piercing feats instead of mostly-Ranged), then work in archery later. I also just noticed I forgot to take Imp Crit Piercing. :o

PKMN12
09-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I posted a pure Kensei TWF+AA build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/269669-The-Bowmaster-(A-beginners-Kensei-Arcane-Archer-By-request)?p=5082294&viewfull=1#post5082294) to the Bowmaster thread a few weeks ago. I specced it as an Archery Kensei and front-loaded the ranged feats; although I actually think the sensible thing to do is focus on melee first (Light Blades Kensei using rapiers, so take mostly-Piercing feats instead of mostly-Ranged), then work in archery later. I also just noticed I forgot to take Imp Crit Piercing. :o

Thanks a lot, would Long swords work instead of Rapiers, I usually Prefer slashing weapons to piercing weapons. Or do Piercing weapons sync with Bows better?

unbongwah
09-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Rapiers > longswords due to larger crit range (18-20 vs 19-20); plus Balizarde (http://ddowiki.com/page/Balizarde) is still one of the best 1H weapons, so it's not a bad target for epics. :) If Turbine hadn't split longbows into Aerenal and shortbows into Valenar, I would've said scimitars are just as good; unfortunately, they did, so it doesn't make sense to do scimitars+longbows and there are no good shortbows. :(

So I recommend sticking with rapiers, with a pair of longswords for zombie-beaters.