PDA

View Full Version : I'm having difficulties understanding why to ever charge runearm to max tier

phillipsjr1
09-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Okay, so lately I have been looking at runearm numbers. With all the runearm enhancements, I fire 1 shot 5x as fast as I fire a single tier 5 shot. In addition, spamming the runearm fire button I miss opportunities to shoot much less frequently due to human error. Also if a shot is a stray it's much less of a loss with a spammed shot gone astray. I had a friend time me in multiple 60 second increments and found I was firing almost exactly 10 shots in the time it takes to fire a tier 5 shot twice.

1 tier 1 shot: 4-10 (7) + 1-2 (1.5) per artificer level. Let's say you're level 28 for simplicity. 49 per shot before spellpower.

1 tier 5 shot: 8-30 (19) + 1-10 (5.5) per artificer level. 173 before spellpower.

49*5= 245 base damage.

Thoughts?

Selchin
09-23-2013, 02:09 PM
First, since runearms use your artificer level, you currently can't get higher than lvl 20 for the second part of the damage. This would put your numbers at 37 and 129 before spellpower.

Second, you have to take into account that most runearms do multiple shots at higher charge tiers.

From this https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/351847-Maximizing-Rune-Arm-DPS, which as far as I know is still valid:

Some of the rune arms do a single "packet" of the damage above, in an area of effect. All of these rune arms are elemental typed. The remainder fire multiple shots or bolts per charge tier, along one of two progressions: either 1/2/3/4/5 (Shot) or 2/2/3/4/4 (Bolt, Spiral, Storm). This results in up to 5 "packets" of the damage listed.

So if the runearm you are looking at is a "shot" type, you need to multiply your tier 5 shot damage by 5 to get the true value. This would result in:

5 Tier 1 shots = 5*1*37 = 185
1 Tier 5 shot = 1*5*129 = 645

For a Bolt/Storm type runearm, you'd end up with:

5 Tier 1 shots = 5*2*37 = 370
1 Tier 5 shot = 1*4*129 = 516

So for certain rune arms, namely the ones that don't fire multiple shots at higher tiers (exploding fire shot, exploding cannon shot, blast, and lash types) it does seem like it would be better to fire tier 1 shots as fast as you can, but for the single target types, the increased number of shots at higher tiers makes charging up worth it.

Hikaratu
09-26-2013, 01:36 AM
It also seems the charge tier (both the max charge on the arm and the actual charge you fire from it) are part of the DC formula for rune arms so full charge vs 1 charge is a difference of 4 DC. Could be a big enough difference to consider at times.

Satyriasys
09-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Charging your runearm also build up spellpower so the higher charge shot will deal more damage. Also, who wants to run around mashing their runearm key every second?

Steelstar
09-26-2013, 09:43 AM
So for certain rune arms, namely the ones that don't fire multiple shots at higher tiers (exploding fire shot, exploding cannon shot, blast, and lash types) it does seem like it would be better to fire tier 1 shots as fast as you can, but for the single target types, the increased number of shots at higher tiers makes charging up worth it.

For most of those that don't fire multiple shots, charging to higher tiers makes the AOE of your shot larger (for instance, with Trial by Fire) and/or allows a higher maximum number of enemies affected by the shot (as in Arcing Sky's case).

Panzermeyer
09-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Thoughts?

I have not run the hard numbers, but this is what I have generally observed.

First of all, each tier provides I believe a +7 to spell power. So a fully charges rune arm provided a significant boost to the damage of a spell. That is one reason to do it.

Personally I run on my Artie with Turmoil Within.

What I have noticed is that if I just fire it as a tier one charge, I more often then not only get double digits or very low triple digits for damage.

When I fire at tier 3 (when I have been moving) I tend to average low to mid triple digits.

When I fire on a tier 45 charge I tend to have solid mid to high level 3 digit damage numbers with an occasional 4 digit shot.

These numbers are PER shot. So tier one one shot, tier five 5 shots.

I don't know if this is WAI or not, but when I fire a tier 5 charge and can land between 2-5k in damage and a tier one that might hit for 100hp damage. It has been a no brainer for me, I will wait for the higher charge, but for the spells I am casting while it is charging, and for the damage the shot is about to unleash.

droid327
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM
For most of those that don't fire multiple shots, charging to higher tiers makes the AOE of your shot larger (for instance, with Trial by Fire) and/or allows a higher maximum number of enemies affected by the shot (as in Arcing Sky's case).

so when fighting 1-2 enemies only, ie boss fights, jam away at that "fire runearm" button, hmm? :) Cuz Artis need more buttons to push...

Phoenix-daBard
09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
so when fighting 1-2 enemies only, ie boss fights, jam away at that "fire runearm" button, hmm? :) Cuz Artis need more buttons to push...

Only if you want to hit them with a light tap versus a big bang. Remember there is also the spell power component of the charge tiers which makes each hit more powerful than the tier below.

unbongwah
09-26-2013, 01:50 PM
It's been a while since I played my arties and I'm not sure what may have changed in U19. But it seems to me that maxing out your RA charges makes sense when dealing with high-HP targets (bosses, EE mobs, etc.); while "fanning" your RA to rapid-fire may work better when dealing with low-HP mobs or to finish off someone near death. Basically it all depends on how quickly you can kill your targets.

Phaeton_Seraph
09-26-2013, 02:41 PM
My artie has always been caster oriented. Well, it started around the time they nerfed heavy repeaters down to 1d10 from 2d8.

As I get higher in level, have more spells and SP, and when I could still Endless Fusilade, I would start the arm charging, start a fusilade, when that ended, fire the fully charged arm, fire a spell, start arm charging, cycle through all my spells two or three times, fire the arm, fire a spell, start the arm charging, start a fusilade... all the while doing normal fire in the repeater.

Well, that was for dealing with continuous combat and/or bosses.

When being over run, then I would try to find a defensible position, switch to an AoE arm and spam it as fast as it would fire. That really saved my life a great number of times.

QuantumFX
09-26-2013, 07:37 PM

If you have the “Tactical Mobility” enhancement, add the “Use Rune Arm” feat to your toolbar and activate it when you log in. Then you only need to spam the “Alt” key when you need to fire.

Phaeton_Seraph
09-27-2013, 03:07 AM
If you have the “Tactical Mobility” enhancement, add the “Use Rune Arm” feat to your toolbar and activate it when you log in. Then you only need to spam the “Alt” key when you need to fire.

I changed my key bindings so that I have to press Ctrl+X to see the experience report, and X is the charge/fire rune arm button now. I found that I was Alt+Tabbing myself out of DDO in combat otherwise.

This way you can spam the arm more.

Rakuda13
09-27-2013, 03:55 AM
My rune arm is on my mouse,makes it really easy to use.Along with the new enhancements i spam the heck out of it.

As far as letting it charge all the way up,some arms i am not such a great shot with,or there is too much in the way to get all 5 shots to hit. The rune arm is still sort of a side arm for me. I just fire it when i need it,if its charged all the way up thats nice,but i dont use it as my main weapon.
So i dont really do the math or care about how much damage it does per shot so much,but at full charge i am getting more spell power due to the bonuses i get to having it charged all the way up being maxed on ehancements.

Gabrael
09-29-2013, 07:54 PM
don'T forget your spell power can now raise with the tier charges, making a tier 1 shot a lot less powerful than a max tier charge.

the % gap between both is lessen with a high spellpower boost, but still high enough to consider,

ALso, since higher charge mean more spellpower, it mean your other spell too, a Blade Barrier at tier 5 will hurt more than at tier 1

andrul
10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I just started running my first Artificer, currently level 4 using the Rune Arm he acquired on Korthos Island. My question is how the heck do you hit anything if charging it to 2nd tier? The two shots shoot off to either side of my target unless I'm taking the time to figure out how much to offset my aim by and frankly, an imbued +2 flaming heavy repeating crossbow with frost cast on it is doing significantly more damage. Maybe once I start using damage spells the extra spell power will come in handy but it doesn't seem worth the loss of mobility at this time. What level will that likely change?

Panzermeyer
10-07-2013, 05:38 PM
I just started running my first Artificer, currently level 4 using the Rune Arm he acquired on Korthos Island. My question is how the heck do you hit anything if charging it to 2nd tier? The two shots shoot off to either side of my target unless I'm taking the time to figure out how much to offset my aim by and frankly, an imbued +2 flaming heavy repeating crossbow with frost cast on it is doing significantly more damage. Maybe once I start using damage spells the extra spell power will come in handy but it doesn't seem worth the loss of mobility at this time. What level will that likely change?

It's not.

I don't use a rune arm on my low levels as an arti. It definitely is not worth the lose of mobility.

However I do equip my rune arm for whatever defensive benefits a particular rune arm provides, and a slight boost in damage for my weapon that the rune arm provides.

Damage actually depends a lot on the kind of rune arm you are using, and your spell power boosts that you have. Which should be much if anything at all at the low levels.

I started using the Chimera's Fang at 5-6-7 levels and started seeing some results, but I would it wasn't till the hand of tombs and the necro quests that I started seeing it being somewhat useful. With the greatest use coming in the teens.

The Battle Engineer tree really provides a huge boost to the Rune Arm as well, quickening the charge, the teir level, move speed and everything else.