PDA

View Full Version : Which repeaters for heroic contend?

mikarddo
09-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Greetings

I am considering during an Arti life. It will almost surely be a repeater build / caster builds - I am just wondering which repeaters I should farm to have decent coverage from 1 to 20 before doing so.

I expect the Heavy GS Repeater to be one - but my ignorance is complete so any advice is most welcome.

I do have a Needle already should I decide to stay Arti for epic levels and I already have 3 Sorc, 2 Wiz and 2 FvS lives so mana and +evoc dc should help the arti live along nicely.

Singular
09-24-2013, 01:53 AM
Heavy repeaters put out the most dps. Light repeaters put out 3 shots per minute more.

Early levels to 12:

- any with lacerating, slicing and bleed (these do immense damage and are available from lvl 4)
- any with lots of damage add-ons (like fire, double strike, whatever)
- Hellfire Crossbow (ml: 4, can be upgraded to epic)
- Scoundrel's Repeating Heavy Crossbow (ml: 6)

Random-gen repeater types you need (change them to better versions as you level):

- disruption
- bannishing
- smiting

- vorpal now appears on repeaters, as does nightmare. These are worth considering but if you simply farm a Ring of the Stalker, you'll get vorpal on any Xbow you use

From level 12-17: Greensteel:

+++ (triple positive) = the least expensive GS xbow. Powerful all around repeater. Does better damage than Silver Slinger and has greater disruption + a raise dead clicky.

- Lit II = highest damage output from lvls 12-17. Many people continue using it into Epic. Make sure you choose the "good burst" and not the "holy" option for a more versatile repeater.

- Rad II = if you're going to rely upon sneak attack damage. I personally find that the Lit II trumps it regardless.

From level 16-19: Evenstar Heroic Challenges:

- They're ok. Good if you don't have time to get the GS ones

From level 16, from Lords of Dust Chain (easy to get):

- Silver Slinger if you don't have +++ or need something to slow undead down (can be upgraded to epic)
- Doublecross if you want heavier CC (can be upgraded to epic)

From level 18-19: Alchemical, tier 2 (upgradeable to Epic, tier 3, later). Alchemical weapons require the most investment in time to make:

- Fire-earth: highest damaging repeater for lvls 18-19
- Earth-earth: nice CC, gives +2 insightful con (very nice)
- Cold-cold: nice CC, great against fire creatures
- Fire-fire: good against cold creatures
- and whatever other combo you like

From level 20

- Fire-earth-fire: highest damaging repeater in the game other than Needle
- Cold-cold-cold: nice to have against fire stuff, has ok CC
- Earth-earth-earth: nice CC if you need it
- Electricity-electricity-electricity, if you make it "good," is useful against devils.

From Level 23

- Needle, Needle, Needle. No other repeater comes close to its damage output because of its 3X crit multiplier. Some arties prefer to use the Alchemical repeaters, though, for the variety of damage output and for DR breaking.

Deathdefy
09-24-2013, 02:04 AM
Early, Holy of Bleeding is fine. In fact that could probably take you to 20.

From 12, I greatly prefer Rad II to Lit II, but evidently mileage varies. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425418-GS-repeater-for-a-few-TR-lives is a short and recent chat about the various repeaters.

You need/want smiting / banishing / disruption too. Ring of the Stalker for vorpal also borders on 'must-have' for quick past-lives.

From 16, Doublecross is the highest damage on things with a low fort save and not immune to sleep/poison (which is a surprisingly large cross section of baddies).

Also, get a frozen tunic and don't take it off save to upgrade to a better model. You can use it and a rune arm without any issues nowadays.

Livmo
09-24-2013, 11:13 AM
In my opinion don't bother with the Hellfire xbow at low levels, because the Hobble's Crossbow is better. I've found Hobble's to be more effective in general and it does more damage than the Hellfire. You can start using this xbow at level 2 and it has an augment slot (put white str augment in since I skimped on str for my build).

You can farm it in the Irestone Inlet in the Harbor near the Leaky Dingy tavern. Sometimes they appear in the Auction House as well for around 10k ish plat. If you get one from the AH make sure it's a newer version with the augment slot.

Hobble's Crossbow
http://ddowiki.com/images/Hobble%27s_Crossbow.png

Hellfire Crossbow
http://ddowiki.com/images/Hellfire_Crossbow.png

droid327
09-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Also, dont know if they still drop but Paralyzing is another good mod to look for on RXBs. I have a +1 Paralyzing HRXB from a long time ago, ML10 (afaik), and for midlevel content it basically paralyzes everything with the first shot.

Livmo
09-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Also, dont know if they still drop but Paralyzing is another good mod to look for on RXBs. I have a +1 Paralyzing HRXB from a long time ago, ML10 (afaik), and for midlevel content it basically paralyzes everything with the first shot.

I totally forgot this as well. There are some nice paralyers out there.

However, I did make screen shot of one of my favorite L12-16 xbows before I switch up at L16. I find these from time to time and I think I might have L6, 8, and few in the 20s.

Night's Grasp
http://imgur.com/CWgqWNd.jpg

droid327
09-25-2013, 03:09 PM
I totally forgot this as well. There are some nice paralyers out there.

However, I did make screen shot of one of my favorite L12-16 xbows before I switch up at L16. I find these from time to time and I think I might have L6, 8, and few in the 20s.

Night's Grasp
http://imgur.com/CWgqWNd.jpg

Nights Grasp is great, just make sure you have a Disruptor also onhand for undead, since Negative energy heals them :) Its a nice synergy if you have a Reflex-based runearm, or just for your Electric spells, since -Dex will drop their Reflex saves.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure those compound teal affixes arent currently dropping AFAIK, I think its a known issue.

AlmGhandi
09-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Greetings

I am considering during an Arti life. It will almost surely be a repeater build / caster builds - I am just wondering which repeaters I should farm to have decent coverage from 1 to 20 before doing so.

I expect the Heavy GS Repeater to be one - but my ignorance is complete so any advice is most welcome.

I do have a Needle already should I decide to stay Arti for epic levels and I already have 3 Sorc, 2 Wiz and 2 FvS lives so mana and +evoc dc should help the arti live along nicely.

Green Steel triple earth... with imp precise shot a beauty.
Doublecross bow....
easy.

Livmo
09-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Nights Grasp is great, just make sure you have a Disruptor also onhand for undead, since Negative energy heals them :) Its a nice synergy if you have a Reflex-based runearm, or just for your Electric spells, since -Dex will drop their Reflex saves.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure those compound teal affixes arent currently dropping AFAIK, I think its a known issue.

I pair it with this rune arm for the disruption:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Hand_of_the_Tombs

They work very well together :)

Livmo
09-25-2013, 03:24 PM
The main rune arms I like to pair with the xbows are:

Hand of Tombs
Corruption of Nature
Archaic Device
Toven's Hammer

I have most of the rune arms from the list. Animus is fun too:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_arm

Enoach
09-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I have been very happy with my GS Heavy Repeater of DUST II (disintegrate proc)

While it does not hit as hard as a LIT II, I have not found anything immune to its damage, including portals...
For undead I couple that with the Hand of the Tomb for undead slaying from Levels 12 to 15. At 16 I use the Silver Slinger.

I agree that the paralyzer crossbow is a good option especially if you are setting yourself up to get Improved Precise Shot.

For early levels if crafting is an option look at picking up a Repeater to "Grow" with you. You don't need to add a Plus modifier to it as you can get that from your bolts (bought or summoned)

You can craft an Acid of Bleed with Master craftsmanship you can use it at Level 1. If you can find a crossbow with an augment slot you can also us this to add more power (watch the ML on these.

I also recommend Rune Arm hunting as well. Using a Masterful Craftmanship on Craftable Ruin arms can get you access to them 2 Levels before you would normally be able to. Otherwise they are just good to have waiting for you when you reach that level.

Livmo
09-25-2013, 03:39 PM
I have been very happy with my GS Heavy Repeater of DUST II (disintegrate proc)

While it does not hit as hard as a LIT II, I have not found anything immune to its damage, including portals...
For undead I couple that with the Hand of the Tomb for undead slaying from Levels 12 to 15. At 16 I use the Silver Slinger.

I agree that the paralyzer crossbow is a good option especially if you are setting yourself up to get Improved Precise Shot.

For early levels if crafting is an option look at picking up a Repeater to "Grow" with you. You don't need to add a Plus modifier to it as you can get that from your bolts (bought or summoned)

You can craft an Acid of Bleed with Master craftsmanship you can use it at Level 1. If you can find a crossbow with an augment slot you can also us this to add more power (watch the ML on these.

I also recommend Rune Arm hunting as well. Using a Masterful Craftmanship on Craftable Ruin arms can get you access to them 2 Levels before you would normally be able to. Otherwise they are just good to have waiting for you when you reach that level.

Good points! You're right I disjunked a few xbows from the AH with augment slots and the one I wanted use was min. level 3 after the process.

Also, I never thought of using Masterful Craftmanship ona rune arm and ty for this!!! I can't wait to try that.

cdbd3rd
09-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Shop now for your upper mid-level xbows. Risia is just around the corner.

para: Handy for long-range sniping. But Para and BB, not a good combo.

With a little adjustment, even non-raided, non-grind options can be viable for quite a while.

My min level 14 xbow that still sees use at 21:

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/cdbd3rd/temp%20pix/HRxB_zps3d0aeeeb.jpg

(I would have preferred Holy Burst, and a red slot, but this is a pre-augment xbow...)

Livmo
09-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Shop now for your upper mid-level xbows. Risia is just around the corner.

para: Handy for long-range sniping. But Para and BB, not a good combo.

With a little adjustment, even non-raided, non-grind options can be viable for quite a while.

My min level 14 xbow that still sees use at 21:

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/cdbd3rd/temp%20pix/HRxB_zps3d0aeeeb.jpg

(I would have preferred Holy Burst, and a red slot, but this is a pre-augment xbow...)

That Icy Burst is very nice and I see you added Flaming Burst too. I've been hitting the AH for some blanks with augment slots. Basically I bought a few cheapies with augment slots and disjuncted them.

GlassJaw
09-25-2013, 04:57 PM
You can tear through most heroic content with a wounding of puncturing repeater. Not too difficult to craft either.

Panzermeyer
09-25-2013, 05:45 PM
You can tear through most heroic content with a wounding of puncturing repeater. Not too difficult to craft either.

I did wonders with this at low to mid levels. And with no + enchantment you can get it super low ML.

QuantumFX
09-27-2013, 10:57 PM
At low levels, I prefer Cannith crafted or lootgen. If you have the crafting levels, Ghost Touch of Greater Incorp Bane is a really nice thing to have for the Shadow Crypts.

When you get to level 12, Triple Positive Greensteel. I find they give the best "Bang for your buck" out of the greensteels. 99.99% of the stuff we fight in DDO is evil alignment and you don't need to worry about resistances. Also, undead heavy quests dominate DDO up to level 17ish.