PDA

View Full Version : Cleric vs Fvs

mmofan
09-14-2013, 02:56 PM
so i am a cleric i like the class i like radiant servent, i was thinking a bout TRing a FvS maybe do a FvS18/mnk2. other then the obvious differences nearly double the SP, Leap of Faith and hiving a limited # of spells why might i want to go FvS over cleric or what are the benifits with FvS that Cleric does not get. i was also wondering how effective is the Summon Archon spell.

mmofan
09-14-2013, 03:03 PM
i posted this tread in Cleric Thread to get there perspectives also

AtomicMew
09-14-2013, 03:33 PM
FvS is superior in every way. Better PrE, better innate stats and abilities. Angel of vengeance is much better than divine disciple. Radiant servant is alright for a healbot I guess. Perhaps when warpriests comes out, things will change a bit.

mmofan
09-14-2013, 04:13 PM
FvS is superior in every way. Better PrE, better innate stats and abilities. Angel of vengeance is much better than divine disciple. Radiant servant is alright for a healbot I guess. Perhaps when warpriests comes out, things will change a bit. what PrE and War priest is that cleric or FvS. also pleas be specific all you told me is that fvs is better because of X Y and Z but you need to explain what makes them better than cleric.

Saravis
09-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Perhaps when warpriests comes out, things will change a bit.

Doubtful since both classes are getting WP, though a battle cleric, as it stands now, is slightly more compatible with WP because of the +2 wisdom.

mmofan
09-14-2013, 04:21 PM
also if i TR on the character i unlocked FvS do i lose the ability to play FvS

Braegan
09-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Favored Souls have a much better Saves Progression, Stacking 10 Resist to up to 3 Elements that you choose, and if pure Capstone of 10 DR and a SLA depending on race/choice, larger Spell Pool, Wings. The summoned archon is ok. It is very nice as a cheap means to fuel up charges for Exalted Angel ED (Divine Wrath) and is kind of useful in lighting up some dungeons (Rainbow in the Dark, I'm looking at you).

Cleric benefits are they are a FTP Class, Swappable at shrine/tavern spells (little flexability), gain spells one level sooner then FvS and a good PRE for healbots. There is the Turn Undead but if you don't really build for it, its usefullness doesn't last long.

SirValentine
09-14-2013, 04:29 PM
so i am a cleric i like the class i like radiant servent, i was thinking a bout TRing a FvS maybe do a FvS18/mnk2. other then the obvious differences nearly double the SP, Leap of Faith and hiving a limited # of spells why might i want to go FvS over cleric or what are the benifits with FvS that Cleric does not get. i was also wondering how effective is the Summon Archon spell.

Both classes are effective, and they mostly play the same way. It's largely a matter of personal style.

You've already listed the main benefits of FvS: some more SP, and their Archon. The Archon is quite effective, and more SP never hurts.

Leap of Faith is available to both through Epic Destinies, so isn't a big deal, unless you absolutely HAVE to have it at 17 instead of 20+.

Clerics have better enhancements available.

Clerics can make MUCH better use of their spell list, because FvS are crippled by a tiny, tiny number of spell slots, and that situation even worse if you splash. Though some people do prefer only having to use a very small number of spells.

Clerics do suffer from greater hate and prejudice from ignorant players, though. Though if that's a major concern for you, Druid would be a better choice than either of Cleric or FvS. :-)

RedHost
09-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Both classes are effective, and they mostly play the same way. It's largely a matter of personal style.
Not really, if you want to be anything more than a healbot or a slay living and destruction spammer in the easier content where that works. Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.

The AoV PrE tree offers some nice temp Spell Point options, to be sure. Coupled with the increased spell pool you can keep going for quite a bit longer. But it also suffers from the fact that it was an old PrE before it became a tree, and it ends up with terribly under powered capstone abilities (which were neat before the game had real SLAs) and a flashlight that plinks things for an entirely negligible amount of damage due to receiving reduced Spell Power bonus (because it was deemed overpowered before everyone got insane abilities).

Wipey
09-14-2013, 06:36 PM
. Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.

Those slas are awful, not even close to Avenging light. Only good thing there is Sunburst, heightened only, EVOCATION blind.

/Team Cleric
/Team Fvs
/roll d2, there's not definitive answer which is "better ". Is wizard better than sorc ?

SirValentine
09-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.

Haven't TRed back to Cleric yet (except on Lama), but though DD looks nice overall, other folks whose opinions I respect (hi Ellis!) have said they're not really that great. A help as you level in Heroic, sure, but that's not hard anyway.

...a flashlight that plinks things for an entirely negligible amount of damage...

Who cares about how little damage it does? Each little plink is a charge for Divine Wrath or Rebuke Foe.

Not really, if you want to be anything more than a healbot or a slay living and destruction spammer in the easier content where that works.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to even mean. You mind expanding on whatever point that is?

Memnir
09-14-2013, 07:32 PM
The better one is the one you have more fun playing.

unbongwah
09-14-2013, 09:47 PM
also if i TR on the character i unlocked FvS do i lose the ability to play FvS
Once you unlock an account option via Favor, it should stay permanently unlocked, even if you TR or delete the character which did the unlock, AFAIK.

AtomicMew
09-15-2013, 05:20 AM

You've already listed the main benefits of FvS: some more SP, and their Archon. The Archon is quite effective, and more SP never hurts.

Leap of Faith is available to both through Epic Destinies, so isn't a big deal, unless you absolutely HAVE to have it at 17 instead of 20+.
Um, not really. You have to be in an absolute **** destiny to have access to wings on a cleric. So no, it's not REALLY available to both classes.

Clerics have better enhancements available.lol no. AoV is far superior in every way. Don't get me wrong, divine disciple IS better than what clerics had before, but AoV got a huge boost as well and so it's still way ahead.

Have you not been paying attention to the caster forums?

Clerics can make MUCH better use of their spell list, because FvS are crippled by a tiny, tiny number of spell slots, and that situation even worse if you splash. Though some people do prefer only having to use a very small number of spells.
Not an advantage. Most divine spells are worthless.

Druid would be a better choice than either of Cleric :-)Agreed. Druid is superior to cleric.

SirValentine
09-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Um, not really. You have to be in an absolute **** destiny to have access to wings on a cleric. So no, it's not REALLY available to both classes.

Depends on your build. If you're melee, ranged or just nuking, maybe. But no other destiny is ahead for a caster.

AoV is far superior in every way.

If you like it, that's fine. I use it because it's far better than Protection or racial tree, but I'd be dropping most of it in a heartbeat if FvS had DD, too. The only think I'll miss when I TR back to Cleric will be the Archon.

Not an advantage. Most divine spells are worthless.

There are some useless divine spells. But there are quite a few more useful ones than a FvS can slot.

voodoogroves
09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm an FVS fanboy. Playtested the original in PNP, loved it. Keep coming back to it.

I've TR'd them all to other classes now. What they used to have that made them neat and different just about any divine can wrangle in the right ED and gear. Light amp? No problem w/ spell points? Wings?

My primary-divine-castery-type (originally FVS) is still slogging through non-divine caster lives currently. Original plan was back to FVS. Now, it just doesn't make sense. Unless/until things change she'll be a cleric.

Queue Urge Overkill .... "Girl ... you'll be a cleric ... soon"

Kayla93
09-16-2013, 05:28 AM
I played 3 lifes of fvs - was fvs for about 2 years an half.
So before menace of underdark - fvs was superior to cleric - like a lot.
After EDs were added fvs was still a lttle better (e.g. archon loading stacks for divine wraith is cool and you know - saves, resistances etc, better pre - but differences like sp or wings stopped to matter becaus of EDs).

Now after enhancements revamp I think theyre both good - but both need to be played in different way.
Clerics has a lot of wisdom based sla'a, wisdom in capstone, and dc enhancements. It seems cleric is better dc caster.
BUT in my opinion now fvs is supposed tro be build like 18fvs/2paladin with around 100PPR in heavy armor, 65+ all saves, fire burst, divine wraith and avenging light and DP (and archon ofc) as main DPS - sometimes using BB. Charisma build ofc dump wisdom etc.
Its great build - pain in the ass to level - thats true (you can just lvl wis build and at 20 change with free lesser to charisma one).
I honestly think that for EE this fvs will be superior to cleric - even if the cleric build around the same. Why? Fvs will have more fire % crit and spellpower, Fvs will have archon building free stacking for divine wraith.
For EH I think cleric will kill faster.

Anyway in my opinion right now :
Cleric - wisdom based DC king with good slas
Fvs - splashed with paladin survivability king with dmg and better crit profile.

Gratch
09-16-2013, 12:40 PM
I like clerics for DC casting... better DC tree and enough spell slots to cover buffing, healing, dc spells.
The AoV tree is nice for spell damage as well as tying in things like Energy Burst: Fire.
For melee/ranged damage I'd say cleric and FVS are pretty equal on damage with some survivability going to the FVS (saves, Leap, more Sp so you're focused more on doing stuff than efficiently casting spells - though pots are cheap).

I've tried all 3 and sort of settled on weapon damage FVS. All 3 types can dispose of trash but blanket immunities of boss monsters gives the edge to the two damage dealer types. For me the game is more fun finding (grinding?) good weapons setups over the few (often best on randoms) items needed for spell damage. Really enjoying AAtier5+Manyshot on the Elven FVS18/Rang2 build I have posted. It's not the kill count leader or trash killer of a DC based caster, but the burst boss DPS is matches the highest in game (for now). Ofc the party always seems to take the most damage just as you start manyshot.

mute_mayhem
09-16-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm an FVS fanboy. Playtested the original in PNP, loved it. Keep coming back to it.

I've TR'd them all to other classes now. What they used to have that made them neat and different just about any divine can wrangle in the right ED and gear. Light amp? No problem w/ spell points? Wings?

My primary-divine-castery-type (originally FVS) is still slogging through non-divine caster lives currently. Original plan was back to FVS. Now, it just doesn't make sense. Unless/until things change she'll be a cleric.

Queue Urge Overkill .... "Girl ... you'll be a cleric ... soon"

I'm in pretty much the same boat, I used to be "that FvS guy" in my guild. I had 2 FvS for a long time, now I have 0 and no plans to ever roll one again. It's kinda sad really.

On topic: cleric vs FvS all comes down to personal preferences. I used to argue in favor of FvS, but at this point there's very little - if anything - a FvS can do that a cleric can't do better. I'd recommend trying both classes, don't just take what you read here as gospel.

Emerge2012
09-16-2013, 10:04 PM

FS has it's perks for sure. Archon is great - it deals good damage (75+ per tic every 2 seconds while you're busy doing other things) and as people said before it charges Wrath and Rebuke which are both great abilities. Saves and ele/physical dr are nice also. I'm currently playing a FS and have loved it.

But the truth is I'm about to TR said FS into a cleric for a few reasons. DC casting is important with the right items, you can get over 70 and won't need to invest in charisma or worry about slotting in a +cha item. The SLA's are damn good - max/empowered nimbus/searing do very good damage at minimal sp expense. Yes FS can get searing light SLA but that means being pure and being pure is bleh while the cleric can go 2 monk and stay in Grandmaster of Oceans stance for 4wis, 5 saves, 4% dodge (easily getting 25% total). Sun Bolt is amazing, it's basically a double powered lightning bolt that does light damage instead. Sun Beam is basically a light damage version of Polar Ray - sure it has a reflex save but that's why you wanna go Wisdom based anyways, for dc's. Speaking of being wisdom based it's incredibly easy for any player to hit 50 wisdom and get 50+ dc's and it really cuts down on the difference in spell points vs FS.

The enhancement change really made cleric the superior choice for seasoned players much like how wizard (thinking Shiradi here) tends to be better than sorc.

Charononus
09-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Here's my take, fvs's are better heroic questers, they can handle any party healing and deal damage to the mobs better.

However

Radiant Servants are better healers. Back pre-motu I had a fvs that I tr'ed to a cleric as I primarily pulled him out to heal raids. For raid healing I loved having a cleric more than a fvs, the glows for light damage, bursts for a free mass, and still having mass heal let me be more effiecient imo.

Now since raiding is pretty much dead I think I'd go fvs unless I wanted a past life.

EllisDee37
09-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.
Haven't TRed back to Cleric yet (except on Lama), but though DD looks nice overall, other folks whose opinions I respect (hi Ellis!) have said they're not really that great. A help as you level in Heroic, sure, but that's not hard anyway.To clarify, it's the SLAs (nimbus & searing) that I said are great for leveling but get pretty meh at epic levels. If you need to power through on echoes, sure, the SLAs absolutely can't be beat.

But the spells are the game changer. Getting necrotic ray, sunbolt and sunbeam is crazy powerful for single target damage. And few bosses are resistant to either negative energy or light damage. (Except those dang priestesses with their stupid deathward. Gah!)

After using the SLAs for a while I tried out the spells, and wow, they're awesome. So good that I dumped the SLAs entirely. I'll use the SLAs to get from 1 to 20 on future lives because they're so cheap, but drop them for the spells as soon as I hit 20 and get a real mana pool.

But the truth is I'm about to TR said FS into a cleric for a few reasons. DC casting is important with the right items, you can get over 70 and won't need to invest in charisma or worry about slotting in a +cha item. The SLA's are damn good - max/empowered nimbus/searing do very good damage at minimal sp expense. Yes FS can get searing light SLA but that means being pure and being pure is bleh while the cleric can go 2 monk and stay in Grandmaster of Oceans stance for 4wis, 5 saves, 4% dodge (easily getting 25% total). Sun Bolt is amazing, it's basically a double powered lightning bolt that does light damage instead. Sun Beam is basically a light damage version of Polar Ray - sure it has a reflex save but that's why you wanna go Wisdom based anyways, for dc's. Speaking of being wisdom based it's incredibly easy for any player to hit 50 wisdom and get 50+ dc's and it really cuts down on the difference in spell points vs FS.Splashing monk for +2 wisdom (+4 stance compared to +2 from capstone) on a cleric is highly effective, no question. I prefer staying pure to get both necrotic ray and sunbeam/bolt at the same time, but I wouldn't question choosing the monk splash.

Just wanted to clarify that a monk splash isn't required to get 70+ evo dc. But of course, whatever the pure cleric lands on (71? 72 maybe?) the monk splash ends up 1 higher.

Anyway in my opinion right now :
Cleric - wisdom based DC king with good slas
Fvs - splashed with paladin survivability king with dmg and better crit profile.This is fair, though I'd highlight the spells instead of the slas. Just necrotic ray alone would be good enough, but then to get the light spells too? Yummy.

Emerge2012
09-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Just wanted to clarify that a monk splash isn't required to get 70+ evo dc. But of course, whatever the pure cleric lands on (71? 72 maybe?) the monk splash ends up 1 higher.

The dc's should be equal I think. The +2 capstone and alchemical shield wash with ocean stance.

By the way my current divine builds were inspired by your theoretical cleric dc post https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423704-Theory-build-70-dc-evo-cleric and the toon that I used the +20 heart on to get there was originally this https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423615-Challenge-Farmer.

So a definite 'Thank You!' is in order. Helpful posts such as yours helped me to become a pretty good player after having just started in January of this year.

EllisDee37
09-17-2013, 02:31 PM
The dc's should be equal I think. The +2 capstone and alchemical shield wash with ocean stance.Well, a clonk could make alchemical wraps with +2 wisdom, +10 stunning and a few damage effects, which is a viable weapon to equip for a dc clonk build. Or maybe a kama, leaving the other hand free for some other caster stick. Certainly not easy to find groups for LOB & MA, though, so it may not be feasible to actually make them.

So a definite 'Thank You!' is in order. Helpful posts such as yours helped me to become a pretty good player after having just started in January of this year.I appreciate the kind words, and glad to hear you're having fun.

Teh_Troll
09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Both are fine, both can hjeal meh.

Gratch
09-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Both are fine, both can hjeal meh.

Only okay *teh trolling*... where's the trollish cogent argument such as:

FVS because they have "favored" in the name. Almost sounds like Flavored. Cherry Soul! Raspberry Soul! Taste the healing rainbow.
Clerks are only good as bank toons because of those monocles on a chain and green brimmed hats they wear to help them count monies. I haven't looked but I heard all their enhancements are for hat brim upgrades.

Panzermeyer
09-23-2013, 03:57 PM
BUT in my opinion now fvs is supposed tro be build like 18fvs/2paladin with around 100PPR in heavy armor, 65+ all saves, fire burst, divine wraith and avenging light and DP (and archon ofc) as main DPS - sometimes using BB. Charisma build ofc dump wisdom etc.

You have any links to potential build ideas along these lines?

I am about to enter my final life and still on the fence as to whether I want to be a cleric or fvs. What you ahve outlined here sounds pretty good.

burningwind
09-23-2013, 05:06 PM
well.. as a caster cleric might be a little better.. if you don't melee at all.. since they use wisdom for spell mod.. while fvs use both wis and cha.

Angelic-council
03-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Lets think carefully here.. I might need players help. Fvs get 2 lower DCs (necro/evo) and 1 lower DC on anyother spell schools compared to clerics. But, fvs can aquire aura of menace, which means, 2 extra effective DC within 15 meters.. Now, I don't know if aura works on EEs, but fvs should be per with clerics at this point, now.. They have vengeful magic (another +1 DC).. Wouldn't that make fvs better DC casters?

Also, they get to cast all major divine offensive spells at higher caster level. Powerful blade barrier and archon is not only unique in exalted angel, but it also helps with scourge.

bennyson
03-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Let us see what Cleric and Favored Soul class trees brings to the table in today's game

Cleric Class Trees

Divine Disciple
This tree is the offensive DC/nuking cleric that takes more of an active role in groups instead of a hjealbot, which also allows for Clerics to solo some quests without waiting forever to people to join them. This tree also defines your Cleric has either the "Light Hero" or "Dark Hero" playstyles depending on your choice on the path of Light or Darkness, similar to how Monk paths work.

Warpriest
This tree is the melee cleric that hits harder with their deities favored weapons then other clerics who simply use them as sources of power. It also hardens the melee cleric from physical as well as magical damage with also a niche of healing support. Complete with some AOE abilities such as Divine Vessel and Implaceable Foe. This tree is also shared by Favored Souls, so its kind of the same deal almost.

Radiant Servant
This tree is the "Elixir of Life" cleric that almost prevents themselves or their groups from dieing while also purging debuffs of any kind. While being able to turn away or out-right destroy most undead with ease. Even if said cleric was slain, they have the option of releasing a massive "Divine Cleansing" that heals groups and deal heavy damage to any undead type creature, possibly Dracolichs as well.

Favored Soul Class Tree

Angel of Vengeance
Similar to Divine Disciple, this tree is the offensive DC/nuking favored soul that increases the caster level and max level of more spell types such as Fire, Force, Light, or Physical spells while also increasing the related spellpower as well. AoV is also complete with an aura that debuffs enemy saves, attack bonus, armor class, and spell resistance while also summoning an Archon that shoots light beams at enemies.

It appears that Clerics are getting more than their "favored" buddies just by the number of class trees they have...

AtomicMew
03-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Let us see what Cleric and Favored Soul class trees brings to the table in today's game

Cleric Class Trees

Divine Disciple
This tree is the offensive DC/nuking cleric that takes more of an active role in groups instead of a hjealbot, which also allows for Clerics to solo some quests without waiting forever to people to join them. This tree also defines your Cleric has either the "Light Hero" or "Dark Hero" playstyles depending on your choice on the path of Light or Darkness, similar to how Monk paths work.

Warpriest
This tree is the melee cleric that hits harder with their deities favored weapons then other clerics who simply use them as sources of power. It also hardens the melee cleric from physical as well as magical damage with also a niche of healing support. Complete with some AOE abilities such as Divine Vessel and Implaceable Foe. This tree is also shared by Favored Souls, so its kind of the same deal almost.

Radiant Servant
This tree is the "Elixir of Life" cleric that almost prevents themselves or their groups from dieing while also purging debuffs of any kind. While being able to turn away or out-right destroy most undead with ease. Even if said cleric was slain, they have the option of releasing a massive "Divine Cleansing" that heals groups and deal heavy damage to any undead type creature, possibly Dracolichs as well.

Favored Soul Class Tree

Angel of Vengeance
Similar to Divine Disciple, this tree is the offensive DC/nuking favored soul that increases the caster level and max level of more spell types such as Fire, Force, Light, or Physical spells while also increasing the related spellpower as well. AoV is also complete with an aura that debuffs enemy saves, attack bonus, armor class, and spell resistance while also summoning an Archon that shoots light beams at enemies.

It appears that Clerics are getting more than their "favored" buddies just by the number of class trees they have...

FvS also get warpriest. But it's fine that FvS have less trees. Clerics need better trees to compete with FvS, since favored souls are innately better due to being a semi-P2W class.

bennyson
03-05-2014, 03:26 PM
FvS also get warpriest. But it's fine that FvS have less trees. Clerics need better trees to compete with FvS, since favored souls are innately better due to being a semi-P2W class.

Your forgetting the Beacon of Hope path for Favored Souls, so they don't have a "healer's" tree which makes FvS worest healers than Clerics due to many things Radiant Servant Clerics have and are generally better healers than any other class if built right.

Just because they are a P2P class does not mean their better, Clerics have more SLAs than AoV FvSs due to their Divine Disciple tree

Divine Disciple:
4 Light path SLAs
4 Dark path SLAs
total SLAs: 8 (these spells can be acquired at level 12 with at least 5 levels of Cleric for tier 5 abilities)

Angel of Vengeance:
1 SLA depending on deity (there are 6 deities up for worship in DDO)
total SLAs: 6 (2 out of 6 SLAS are useless and can only be acquired at level 20 heroic cap while being a pure FvS)

In any case, Favored Souls are missing a lot while Clerics are gaining, the only thing FvSs have going for them is more SP and increase caster levels of most spells and a dangerous aura along with a light beam shooting summon that uses half of the FvS's spellpower.

ChemE
03-21-2014, 09:40 AM
If you wer tr'ing into a morninlord to either one, all things being equal, which one would it be FS or cleric? Is one more suited for ML than the other? On the surface, it looks like a cleric would be best but would a FS be just as good a chaice? I want to try ML but I am hesitant about being a FS ML for some reason.

goldgolem
03-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Both are great at everything below endgame or the odd difficult EE. If you see my thread on the main board, you see a lot of clerics saying endgame healing is easy but little comment from any other FVS

I prefer the aggressive style of FVS but if you want an easier endgame, I would go CLR.

BTW archon is amazeballs, especially now with the HH ring that does extra damage

Evoc vs necro is also a choice you should think about

I previously had my FVS as a necro but thats pretty useless now at end game. If you plan to work through past lives etc, necro is still a nice choice if it fits your play style. Right now I am waiting to see how the new ED comes out but I may well tr him into a pure light damage evoc CLR. I think the devs have misjudged just how much damage a fully specced evo divine will be able to do and I am looking forward to it!

This really is one of those choices where there is not much between them and picking what fits your play style is the best way to go

goldgolem
03-23-2014, 09:28 AM
If you wer tr'ing into a morninlord to either one, all things being equal, which one would it be FS or cleric? Is one more suited for ML than the other? On the surface, it looks like a cleric would be best but would a FS be just as good a chaice? I want to try ML but I am hesitant about being a FS ML for some reason.

I am enjoying ML fey energy tap for extra SP on my wiz.

-Zephyr-
03-30-2014, 04:38 AM
Please continue saying clerics are better than FvS.
Then they'll buff my FvS even more!

HAL
04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
I think it depends on how quickly you are going to go through Heroic levels. I created a FvS after getting my Cleric to 20 and I really miss the large spell pool. FvS get such few spells and it seemed to take forever before I got anything good since I'm a slow leveler (don't play any 1 character a lot).

FvS might be more powerful in Epic, hard to say. Since you can take EDs on any class character, and you can pretty simply respec a character, I'm not sure it really matters that much.

RTFM
04-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Well I read through this thread and wonder how many of the posters have actually played a cleric and an FVS recently. I am working slowly through the divine eTR's right now and decided to do it on a cleric. Pure cleric, sun elf. I like it a lot more than my FVS (which is not my main but is fully capped ED and fully geared). And here is why:

1. Cleric rad servant. It is really nice to have that thing ticking heals away without having to think about it or spend blue bar on heals.
2. Turning. The sun elf makes turning a joy. Can even turn all the trash in Thunderholm and the new raids on EN/EH.
3. The sun elf cleric enhancement + to spell pen means if you build right (max wis, 15 con, rest into CHA and last point into INT, with epic spell pen), and gear (+4-5 tomes, twilight or other) you can bypass all the EN/EH spell pen and some EE. If you have the full past lives wiz/fvs you are good on most EE as well. The high DC means you have crowd control that even works on EE (order's wrath, holy smite), and SUNBOLT with nimbus end up doing nice damage if you are geared right (lantern ring, or sage goggles).
4. Blade barriers, implosion, big toolbox of buffs and heals (and harm).

EN/EH runs on this are super easy. EE solo I find the biggest difficulty is bosses, because you really only have light damage for them and you run out of SP too fast. EE in groups is fine, its no shiradi spammer but can contribute in kills as well as heals and buffs.

Now after playing that for 3 eTR lives so far I really like it a LOT better than pure FVS. Yes, I have a little lower saves, but that constant healing aura is well worth the lower saves. Ask me what a PURE FVS gets that a PURE cleric does not.....you get a shoulder cannon, debuff aura and a lot more SP and better saves. But I prefer the turns, healing aura, and the sun elf bonuses on a pure cleric to those.

Now for any splash builds that's another story.