PDA

View Full Version : cleric 17 / monk 2 / ranger 1 - feedback would be great -

Catteras
09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I sparsed this build together from some of Soulfurnace's comments in another thread. By no means original, I'm just trying to fill in the details (feats, etc.). I have a pure cleric right now that bores me out of my mind. Something like this sounds like fun. Please offer feedback.

concept - stave wielder and long bow user, centered, in mountain stance, sp for buffing and healing, aura healing too, melee and pew-pew through mobs
goals - I don't care about EE viable. If I can solo most heroic elite and epic hard content (my 18 FVS / 2 Fighter can) I'm happy. Once I get through eveningstar epic stuff and the new wheloon prision and stormhorn quests, I'll probably TR.

cleric 17 / monk 2 / ranger 1 (1st life, using LR+20 to respec)

STR - 18 (base) + 2 (tome) + 3 (levels 4,8,12) = 23 (for overwhelming critical)
DEX - 8
CON - 17 (base) +2 (tome) +3 (levels 18,22,26) = 22 (for epic toughness and over 20 additional hp for keeping even at 22 instead of 21)
INT - 8
WIS - 11 (base) +2 (tome) + 6 (item) = 19 (for spells, and zen archery)

Level progression:
Ranger (bonus skills) at lvl 1, monk at lvl 2, monk at lvl 8 (need here to take zen archery when my +2 wis tome kicks in at lvl 7), other levels cleric

1 level of ranger is primarily for bow strength.

Feats
1 - power attack
human bonus - cleave
monk bonus - toughness
3 empower healing
6- adept of forms
monk bonus at CL 8 - zen archery (really just to stay centered with long bows, though my to hit with WIS will be better than with DEX)
9- great cleave
12 master of forms
15 - IC: bludgeon
18 - quicken
21 - overwhelming critical
24 - epic toughness
27 - grandmaster of forms (I'll probably TR before I get this far in epic levels, but if I do make it, this is what I'd probably take....)

Note: I glanced at manyshot, but the prereq feats and dex requirement made me mess my pants. At work. Not fun.

Enhancements
Cleric Radiant Servant - points here to get burst healing, aura, and some healing spell power
Ranger Arcane Archer - Not sure, maybe for returning arrows, embue arrow, some extra sp
Monk Henshin Mystic - some staff stuff, and a couple special clicky attacks for extra damage

I'm not so sure about enhancements, really, as I'm not familiar with most of them now. But my theory is that if I get the class level split right and the feats right, I can always reset enhancement trees if needed. When warpriest comes out (if ever...) the ranger tree would probably go in favor of that (I'm assuming that it will increase combat skills).

Epic Destinies
I'm going to wager a guess that Dreadnaught might be the best main destiny? Or maybe grandmaster of flowers, but I have no experience with that one. Any suggestions here are most welcome. Main destiny and best twists (assuming I ever get around to worrying about twists...).

Soulfurnace
09-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Yay, someone stupi- I mean smart enough to use my build!

Just looking at your plan, there's a slight.. issue.. with it.
In short, I had +4 and +5 tomes for it, meaning my con was 16 base, +5 tome for 21. Even so, it looks viable with what you've done.

Some things I'll point out - bows are only worth it with manyshot :\
Without that, they're glorified shurikens in my opinion.

Feats, aside from manyshot, look pretty typical.
Enhancements, uh.. I didn't save a screeny of them, sadly enough. I know I invested in Henshin mystic for Fists of Iron, quick strike and some damage.
Shintao for Iron Skin (not sure what I used for fillers, sorry.)
Ninja spy - 3% dodge, 3 reflex, 2d6 sneak attack.
Radiant - aura, took +3 to caster levels +3 to max caster levels (mainly for heal)
Human - Tier 1 heal amp, damage action boost, save boost, +1 str, +1 con. (can also take surge if you want)
Deep Wood Sniper - 75 positive energy, 1d6 sneak attack. (core is sneak attack, empathy is positive energy.)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head sorry

Destiny, uh. Depended on what I ran. If it was a quest with no portals and I was likely to get kills (shortman and/or solo) I'd use Dreadnought for Blitz (and various boosts), if it was a full group or a quest with portals, I used Fury of the Wild for adrenalines. (And CC. For harder quests, CC was vital)

Twists varied, but normally had dance of flowers (1.5W), Primal scream (if in dreadnought) momentum swing (if in fury) with a third twist slot for whatever took my fancy. (if nothing else, twist 3% doublestrike from GMoF.)
Never used GMoF for anything but twists, didn't come across as worth it to me. Each to their own, of course.

And no, this build isn't amazing. It's just me trying to spice up a cleric life :P

Hope this helps

Taters214
09-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Yes, very helpful. Thank you.

For enhancements, my understanding was that you could only invest in a max of three trees. Am I mistaken? If only three max, which trees offer the most bang for the buck.

Yes, I don't expect long bow use to shine much with manyshot or other investments. Picking up zen archery was a simple enough thing to do, especially considering I would have bow strength from ranger level. That way I can do a little ranged before closing to melee. Or if I'm in a group and for whatever reason am not in the front lines, I'll be able to do some pew pew damage to contribute.

Yeah, I'm not expecting damage output like I would have on my sorc. I just to be able to do something with my cleric. Right now he's been collecting dust at lvl 20 for about 2 years. I had a blast running me melee FVS, so I want to try something like that with my cleric. Especially considering we have the LR+20. As long as he can solo stuff okay--even if he's just plodding along slow by steady--I'm fine with that. That's better than sitting in the crafting hall and doing a little crafting every few months once I pile up enough essences...

Edit: Ah, this is Catteras's other account. The lovely forums won't let Catteras reply to any threads at the moment...

Soulfurnace
09-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Yes, very helpful. Thank you.

For enhancements, my understanding was that you could only invest in a max of three trees. Am I mistaken? If only three max, which trees offer the most bang for the buck.

Yes, I don't expect long bow use to shine much with manyshot or other investments. Picking up zen archery was a simple enough thing to do, especially considering I would have bow strength from ranger level. That way I can do a little ranged before closing to melee. Or if I'm in a group and for whatever reason am not in the front lines, I'll be able to do some pew pew damage to contribute.

Yeah, I'm not expecting damage output like I would have on my sorc. I just to be able to do something with my cleric. Right now he's been collecting dust at lvl 20 for about 2 years. I had a blast running me melee FVS, so I want to try something like that with my cleric. Especially considering we have the LR+20. As long as he can solo stuff okay--even if he's just plodding along slow by steady--I'm fine with that. That's better than sitting in the crafting hall and doing a little crafting every few months once I pile up enough essences...

Edit: Ah, this is Catteras's other account. The lovely forums won't let Catteras reply to any threads at the moment...
6 trees, 3 panes - gotta scroll across to get to the rest.

Anyway, I was stomping eHard with him for fun. EE took some effort, but was doable.

Dps isn't fantastic, but it's comparable to a juggernaut using Sireth (if fully buffed, inc scrolls. Get 'dat UMD!)
Jugger is slightly ahead, but not by a large amount.. and they don't get aura.

They do get manyshot though. :P