PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play with the Warchanter cold line?

voodoogroves
09-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Anyone?

Several of them seem to only work when someone is yamming cold spells at you - and that's unpredictable, and thus, lame.

mezzorco
09-07-2013, 02:22 AM
To me it doesn't seems that you need cold damage so much. Here is what I understood:
- Gathering Cold: toggle, while it's active you've a chance to gain Armor of Frost on frost damage taken
- Iced Edge: it activates if you score a critical while Gathering Cold and under Skaldic Rage. Armor of Frost is not related to its mechanic
- The Frozen Fury has no requirements
- Northwind: like Iced Edge, but on vorpal
- Howl of the North: it only requires you to be under Skaldic Rage

So, only gathering cold requires frost damage.

Some additional thoughts:
- The Frozen Fury seems to have very bad DC, for a STR build it's not worth the cost (maybe it's not worth anyway)
- Northwind provides a very negligible increase in damage output, I would take only first rank to qualify for HotN
- Since for Iced Edge and Northwind you only need to have Gathering Cold active, and there are no relations with Armor of Frost, I would take only first rank, qualifying for everything I need

voodoogroves
09-07-2013, 07:28 AM
To me it doesn't seems that you need cold damage so much. Here is what I understood:
- Gathering Cold: toggle, while it's active you've a chance to gain Armor of Frost on frost damage taken
- Iced Edge: it activates if you score a critical while Gathering Cold and under Skaldic Rage. Armor of Frost is not related to its mechanic
- The Frozen Fury has no requirements
- Northwind: like Iced Edge, but on vorpal
- Howl of the North: it only requires you to be under Skaldic Rage

So, only gathering cold requires frost damage.

Some additional thoughts:
- The Frozen Fury seems to have very bad DC, for a STR build it's not worth the cost (maybe it's not worth anyway)
- Northwind provides a very negligible increase in damage output, I would take only first rank to qualify for HotN
- Since for Iced Edge and Northwind you only need to have Gathering Cold active, and there are no relations with Armor of Frost, I would take only first rank, qualifying for everything I need

Yeah, that's the same sort of conclusion I reach (generally) ... and then avoid them all. Though, the crit bonus is nice - just a pain to have to toss so many points away.

mezzorco
09-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Yeah, that's the same sort of conclusion I reach (generally) ... and then avoid them all. Though, the crit bonus is nice - just a pain to have to toss so many points away.

So many points?

gathering cold - 1 AP
iced edges - 2 AP
northwind - 2 AP
howl of north - 2 AP

TOTAL: 7 AP

Doing so you gain:
- 1 cold resistance <-- nearly useless
- 1d6 cold damage almost each hit (assuming dual wielding scimitars/rapiers) <-- GOOD
- 2d8 cold damage on vorpal <-- it has its use
- +1 crit multiplier on 19-20 <-- GOOD

I think it's worth investing in cold line, though just rank 1 gathering.
-