PDA

View Full Version : Cloak of Ice: "Clickie" Version

TheKeeper1981
09-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Heyla and well met!

Having two sets of the older versions of the Cloak of Ice (one exclusively for my main toon, and another I share between my alts), I was slow to learn that it had been changed so that it is no longer an item with 3 charges of the spell. Rather, the spell procs a certain percentage of the time when the wearer is hit. While this can be useful for people with the cloak spot free to have something like this on, on a constant basis, at the higher levels, this just isn't all that practical (for example, I use the Jeweled Cloak as my regular cloak, for the elemental resistances, as well as the spell absorption). Frankly, having the return of a "clickie" fire shield (cold) item would be much more helpful, than an item that procs at random moments.

Certainly, fire shield potions, both hot and cold versions, are a bit more accessible, now, but they rely on collectible turn-ins that can actually be a bit difficult to obtain, again, when players are able to play higher-level content (there are some quests accessible on the epic levels that do have collectible nodes, but as with all collectible nodes, nothing is a guaranteed pull). There are also fire shield scrolls, for those who invest in the UMD skill, but using these scrolls in the middle of a fight--for melees, at least--can be... a challenge, as the player must first switch out her weapon for the scroll, then select the desired version of the fire shield, and then switch back over to her real weapon.

After experimenting with my options, I've found that being able to switch to my Cloak of Ice, activating the spell, then quickly switching back to my main cloak is a whole lot less fuss than the other options. And as I'm quite happy at having this option, at all, I thought it would be nice for other players to have this option, again, as well. Especially since, after all, this option still exists for the hot version of the fire shield, in the form of the Bluefire Necklace (last I checked; I hope this is still the case?). If players like having the newer version of the cloak, why not have two versions of it? Cloak of Ice (activated) and Cloak of Ice (guard), or some such? But considering that there is already an item that does what the newer version of the cloak does (Frozen Tunic), I'm thinking it would be better to simply make the cloak a clickie, again.

Anyhow, these are just my own thoughts on the matter. Thanks for taking the time to read them, whether or not others are in agreement with them.

RightToRemainStupid
09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Heyla and well met!

Having two sets of the older versions of the Cloak of Ice (one exclusively for my main toon, and another I share between my alts), I was slow to learn that it had been changed so that it is no longer an item with 3 charges of the spell. Rather, the spell procs a certain percentage of the time when the wearer is hit. While this can be useful for people with the cloak spot free to have something like this on, on a constant basis, at the higher levels, this just isn't all that practical (for example, I use the Jeweled Cloak as my regular cloak, for the elemental resistances, as well as the spell absorption). Frankly, having the return of a "clickie" fire shield (cold) item would be much more helpful, than an item that procs at random moments.

Certainly, fire shield potions, both hot and cold versions, are a bit more accessible, now, but they rely on collectible turn-ins that can actually be a bit difficult to obtain, again, when players are able to play higher-level content (there are some quests accessible on the epic levels that do have collectible nodes, but as with all collectible nodes, nothing is a guaranteed pull). There are also fire shield scrolls, for those who invest in the UMD skill, but using these scrolls in the middle of a fight--for melees, at least--can be... a challenge, as the player must first switch out her weapon for the scroll, then select the desired version of the fire shield, and then switch back over to her real weapon.

After experimenting with my options, I've found that being able to switch to my Cloak of Ice, activating the spell, then quickly switching back to my main cloak is a whole lot less fuss than the other options. And as I'm quite happy at having this option, at all, I thought it would be nice for other players to have this option, again, as well. Especially since, after all, this option still exists for the hot version of the fire shield, in the form of the Bluefire Necklace (last I checked; I hope this is still the case?). If players like having the newer version of the cloak, why not have two versions of it? Cloak of Ice (activated) and Cloak of Ice (guard), or some such? But considering that there is already an item that does what the newer version of the cloak does (Frozen Tunic), I'm thinking it would be better to simply make the cloak a clickie, again.

Anyhow, these are just my own thoughts on the matter. Thanks for taking the time to read them, whether or not others are in agreement with them.

I've payed up to 1M plat for the clicky version, whenever they've shown up in the AH. If I could only get my hands on a couple of Bluefire Necklaces..

TheKeeper1981
09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
I've payed up to 1M plat for the clicky version, whenever they've shown up in the AH. If I could only get my hands on a couple of Bluefire Necklaces..

Yes, I've yet to get the Bluefire Necklace. From what I saw on the wiki, it's actually still a clicky item. It's just still difficult to get ahold of. =D

I'm surprised people are actually willing to give up the clicky versions of the Cloak, at all. I'm keeping mine, that's for sure. ^^

RightToRemainStupid
09-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Yes, I've yet to get the Bluefire Necklace. From what I saw on the wiki, it's actually still a clicky item. It's just still difficult to get ahold of. =D

I'm surprised people are actually willing to give up the clicky versions of the Cloak, at all. I'm keeping mine, that's for sure. ^^

The only reason I haven't farmed a Bluefire Necklace is that the toons who can easily farm it aren't flagged for Abbot. Plus the fact that I hate the long tedious wait in the skeleton room and having to do the riddle. The people selling their clicky Cloaks of Ice are probably those that think 1M plat has value outside of buying things like clicky version Cloaks of Ice on the AH. :D