PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Assassin Build (advice welcome)

Stoner81
08-31-2013, 06:12 AM
Hey guys I have a level 14 Rogue at the moment who is mostly STR based with a lowish INT (13 base) and due to the enhancement pass I am toying with the idea of LR'ing her in to a INT/DEX based toon and taking Weapon Finesse for short swords (dual wielding level 16 Envenomed Blades :D). Now my problem is that I don't know if this will be viable at end game, I do know EE would probably be a push but eventually maybe but anything up to and including EH would be fine.

I thought the following for starting stats:

STR = 6.
DEX = 16 (+1 tome needed for GTWF).
CON = 16 (more HP always a good thing).
INT = 18 (maxed out for assassinate DC and as many skill points as possible to max all useful skills at each level also all levels up go here).
WIS = 8.
CHA = 8.

As for feats something along these lines:

TWF.
ITWF.
GTWF.
Insightful Reflexes.
Weapon Finesse.
Toughness (not sure about this but Rogues need all the HP they can get).

Not sure what else to be honest, now I think this would be an OK build and should be able to hit most things on anything but a 1 I just hope I can get UMD high enough for Tensers scrolls etc to help with DPS. I am also thinking of keeping it a pure build for the extra sneak attack dice from the assassin tree.

Thoughts, ideas and comments are all welcome folks :)

Stoner81.

visibleman
08-31-2013, 06:16 AM
You definitely want the feat Precision (http://ddowiki.com/page/Precision)asap.

And you may want to add Power Attack (for mobs that are easy to hit and not immune to your Sneak) so you need a higher STR (depending on Tomes)

karl_k0ch
08-31-2013, 06:48 AM
I have a Str-based Halfling Rogue myself, and I am really hesitant to make her an Int-build, as Assassinate is a nice ability, which I love to use, even with a DC of just 50ish (depending on measure the foe and if I switch to EMGs).

However, there are some problems I see with this ability, which is why I wouldn't focus my build on it.

1) Mob HPs and DCs. The cases where it's easy to Assassinate are the cases where the mobs don't have much HP anyway and just attacking would be a solution as well.
2) Timing. DDO has a pretty fast-paced combat, and getting into stealth, waiting at least 2 seconds to have the timer off assassinate can be a pretty long time in which the mob can be fingered or beaten to death. Measure the Foe is an interesting ability, but makes the setup much harder.
3) Mob aggro. As assassinate only works off sneak attacks, having a mob's aggro will usually defy any sneak attack. I'm under the impression that having Venomed Blades active also prevents assassinates in situations where you're alone with a mob.

In conclusion, I think that Assassinate is a very powerful, but also skill-intensive ability where a grave investement in Int should be justified by being able to adapt the playing style and running content where insta-kills matter.

To make some further comments on the build: I think that going Dex-based is a viable choice for a Halfling rogue, as long as you make sure that you don't dump your Str and Int completely. More Str means more carrying capacity (this can be a problem on halflings) as well as access to Power Attack, which is as useful as Precision, depending on the Mob fought. This is why I like to take both feats, switching stances as appropriate. An Int score of 30 at cap can be achievable with a starting int of 14.

One of the main reasons to go dex-based is that this gives you an easy access to the Improved Sneak Attack feat, which requires 21 Dex, including tomes.

Stoner81
08-31-2013, 07:36 AM
You definitely want the feat Precision (http://ddowiki.com/page/Precision)asap.

And you may want to add Power Attack (for mobs that are easy to hit and not immune to your Sneak) so you need a higher STR (depending on Tomes)

Ah yes good ol' Precision :) I would take that over Power Attack just to land more SA plus trying to squeeze enough points in to STR to get PA is going to be tighter than a tight thing from tight town.

I have a Str-based Halfling Rogue myself, and I am really hesitant to make her an Int-build, as Assassinate is a nice ability, which I love to use, even with a DC of just 50ish (depending on measure the foe and if I switch to EMGs).

However, there are some problems I see with this ability, which is why I wouldn't focus my build on it.

1) Mob HPs and DCs. The cases where it's easy to Assassinate are the cases where the mobs don't have much HP anyway and just attacking would be a solution as well.
2) Timing. DDO has a pretty fast-paced combat, and getting into stealth, waiting at least 2 seconds to have the timer off assassinate can be a pretty long time in which the mob can be fingered or beaten to death. Measure the Foe is an interesting ability, but makes the setup much harder.
3) Mob aggro. As assassinate only works off sneak attacks, having a mob's aggro will usually defy any sneak attack. I'm under the impression that having Venomed Blades active also prevents assassinates in situations where you're alone with a mob.

In conclusion, I think that Assassinate is a very powerful, but also skill-intensive ability where a grave investement in Int should be justified by being able to adapt the playing style and running content where insta-kills matter.

To make some further comments on the build: I think that going Dex-based is a viable choice for a Halfling rogue, as long as you make sure that you don't dump your Str and Int completely. More Str means more carrying capacity (this can be a problem on halflings) as well as access to Power Attack, which is as useful as Precision, depending on the Mob fought. This is why I like to take both feats, switching stances as appropriate. An Int score of 30 at cap can be achievable with a starting int of 14.

One of the main reasons to go dex-based is that this gives you an easy access to the Improved Sneak Attack feat, which requires 21 Dex, including tomes.

1. This is why I am thinking of taking Weapon Finesse for adding DEX to hit and damage (along with Knife In The Back from Core enhancements in the Assassin tree).
2. This is to me isn't a problem and actually I find it quite fun having to weigh up the situation and calculate things on the fly compared to my fighter where it's run to bad guys and spam clickies like crazy.
3. This is why I am thinking of maxing INT to get the DC as high as possible and to max out skills (Diplomacy and Bluff) to allow me to land those all important Sneak Attacks :), I know carrying capacity can be an issue but I figured since I am only 6 levels away from epics it would not be that bad since I have +6 stat items for the needed ones and I have a few tomes already too.

The other reason for the build is that the group that I generally run with never really has a trapper most of the time, one guildy has a capped (or nearly capped) Artificer and he wants to be able to play his capped fighter occasionally too so I started a Rogue to be a trap monkey with Assassinate.

The downside here is that I totally forgot about Improved Sneak Attack which is going to be a pain to get unless I get really lucky with a +5 tome if I start DEX at 16. Could go DEX 17, CON 15 and INT 18 so that would be a +4 tome which is a little easier I guess.

Thanks for the feedback guys always appreciated, keep it coming :)

Stoner81.

sephiroth1084
08-31-2013, 05:26 PM
2) Timing. DDO has a pretty fast-paced combat, and getting into stealth, waiting at least 2 seconds to have the timer off assassinate can be a pretty long time in which the mob can be fingered or beaten to death.
Seriously? There's a cooldown on Assassinate now that activates when you enter stealth? Is it in the tooltip (I didn't read it closely, assuming it worked like the old Assassinate)? If so, this will make me pretty upset, as I used to really enjoy jumping toward a foe, entering stealth in the air, and Assassinating on the way down/once landed.

karl_k0ch
08-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Seriously? There's a cooldown on Assassinate now that activates when you enter stealth? Is it in the tooltip (I didn't read it closely, assuming it worked like the old Assassinate)? If so, this will make me pretty upset, as I used to really enjoy jumping toward a foe, entering stealth in the air, and Assassinating on the way down/once landed.
Nah, just the usual "use an ability - all other abilities are on cooldown" for 1.5 sec.

I don't see that anything has changed with assassinate. This slight delay between going into sneak mode and being able to use assassinate (or anything else for that matter) has been there all the time.

Stoner81
08-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Well guys my mind is made up I think, INT and DEX based with Weapon Finesse is the way I am going to go with it so will see how it works out over the coming months and if it works out decent and people are interested I will post it up as a build (never posted one and I dare say other people here would do better than me but we all start somewhere :D)

Stoner81.

Failedlegend
08-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Hp is always a good thing but 16 Con is overkill

Stoner81
10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
OK now that Ron and his crew has the new planner out I am working on this build at the moment and I can't see a way of getting Precision in with everything else that is wanted but anyway nevermind... once I have it all sorted it out I will be publishing my first ever build :) so please be gentle with me LOL!

Stoner81.