PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Server Downtime: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Thursday, August 29

Tolero
08-29-2013, 09:14 AM
UPDATE 1:51 PM Eastern - The worlds have reopend! Enjoy.

The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Thursday, August 29 from 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for an update to the game. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon! Patch notes will be available during the downtime.

Tolero
08-29-2013, 09:17 AM
So just some special notes regarding this patch...

We're breaking our usual pattern here a bit with today's update. Normally we like to give more advanced notice for "patches", but we are trying to get the bug fixes/crash fixes out ahead of the holiday weekend for players. Apologies for the short notice. Release notes will be available very shortly.

Megahurtz
08-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Normally we like to give more advanced notice for "patches"

Well, it's more notice than we had for the last one though I believe that was classed as an 'update' ?

Just a shame it's going to take out the EU's peak playing hours. Again.

Flavilandile
08-29-2013, 09:30 AM

We should getting used to be considered as second class players by now... At least they are not wrecking a Friday evening.... This time.

Tolero,

You really cannot do those updates between 2 AM and 6 AM Boston Time ?

Is there any technical reason why you cannot do them at these time ?

Is there any commercial reason why you cannot do them at these time ?

Prof-Moriarty
08-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Blast it !!! I am in the EU and was just planning on a nice long Dungeon run this evening :(

Guess I'll have to do LotRO instead.

Hendrik
08-29-2013, 09:32 AM

We're breaking our usual pattern here a bit with today's update. Normally we like to give more advanced notice for "patches", but we are trying to get the bug fixes/crash fixes out ahead of the holiday weekend for players. Apologies for the short notice. Release notes will be available very shortly.

Wow, thank you Mertolaskero and pass that along to QA and the DEV team.

:cool:

Havok.cry
08-29-2013, 09:33 AM
We should getting used to be considered as second class players by now... At least they are not wrecking a Friday evening.... This time.

Tolero,

Probably, no one at work at those times to do them.

HernandoCortez
Bug fixes? Hmmm...

Hendrik

Tolero,

I dare guess the same reason why you would not like to be called into work at 2am to 6am.

Ytteri
. Normally we like to give more advanced notice for "patches", but we are trying to get the bug fixes/crash fixes out ahead of the holiday weekend for players. Apologies for the short notice. Release notes will be available very shortly.

Hey, if you're fixing stuff, it's cool. So what's getting fixed? 20th rewards? Abbot? Saga rewards?

Teh_Troll
08-29-2013, 09:35 AM

What some call a bug I call a feature! :)

patang01
08-29-2013, 09:37 AM

Lemme guess - you're primarily fixing the Druid beguile since it's effecting the game not the player. While I support this we see these patches come out when someone is taking advantage of the game due to bugs you create and whereas the long term bugs languish for years. Like the floating arti pet after it tries to climb latters.

I'm guessing this won't fix the fact that the race tree keeps resetting on my Human fighter either. I apologize for the combative tone, but it's a pattern I've noticed.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong and this will actually fix something that benefits all players.

Flavilandile
08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
I dare guess the same reason why you would not like to be called into work at 2am to 6am.

It's part of my job description to be called into work at indecent hours. I get paid for that.

In IT and Telecom it's usually a standard feature of operational jobs ( though it doesn't seems to be the case at Turbine ) , as maintenance is done at the low time in the network...
Which is usually at an indecent hour for the common people...

I stopped counting my all nighters at work long ago.
( and yes that includes being called at 2AM on January 1st and spending the whole day in a data center trying to fix a broken system )

Shorlong
08-29-2013, 09:38 AM

Tolero,

And then the asian players will be upset. Or what about third shifters on their day off, wanting to get some gaming in?

There is no good time to do updates for a game that is worldwide, so they pick the largest audience and work around there. The US is the main audience, and they are based in the US, so they work around that schedule.

Teh_Troll
08-29-2013, 09:40 AM
The US is the main audience, and they are based in the US, so they work around that schedule.

Anyone else thinking about the "Team Amrica: World Police" theme song right now?

Drwaz99
08-29-2013, 09:40 AM

We need posts like this more often. Thank you!

Thalmor
08-29-2013, 09:42 AM
The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Thursday, August 29 from 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for an update to the game. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon! Patch notes will be available during the downtime.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Now what am I suppose to do over my lunch hour, or at least the 55 minutes after I finish eating.

Grimlock
08-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Tolero,

Can I remind you that this is a game created and run by a company in the United States whose main customer base consists of American citizens?

Can I also remind you that from a business perspective hiring and staffing a group to work a third shift schedule for a software/gaming company would amount to a ridiculous amount of labor/overhead not to mention overtime expenses that does not have any ROI what so ever?

Please be realistic. You live in Europe/Asia you will have to deal with United States timezones with respect to patches/updates.

Micron
08-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Tolero,

That's Oz, Korea and Japan peak playing hours. Try again!

Qaliya
08-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Can I remind you that this is a game created and run by a company in the United States whose main customer base consists of American citizens?

Can I also remind you that from a business perspective hiring and staffing a group to work a third shift schedule for a software/gaming company would amount to a ridiculous amount of labor/overhead not to mention overtime expenses that does not have any ROI what so ever?

Please be realistic. You live in Europe/Asia you will have to deal with United States timezones with respect to patches/updates.

This is way too sensible for a patch notice thread.

drathdragon
08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
why always such nervous replies ?

i thanks Tolero and the staff that fix some bugs, you should be happy not angry.

i hope to read soon a patch notes.

p.s. relax ppl, ..it's only a game... :()

vampiregoat69
08-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Hope it fixes servants of the overlord we were unable to get into it last night it kept booting us out,

ThomasHunter
08-29-2013, 10:02 AM
I had this day off (nearly two weeks after the xpak) to play ALL DAY!!! Oh wow, this really is a bummer....:(

Hopefully it will be QUICK!

Woebringer
08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
V ery Soon
O nly those
N eeding to flag will visit Grogan's Coliseum
1 Time and then no more

Havok.cry
08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
V ery Soon
O nly those
1 Time and then no more
You win the thread

Silken-Akira
08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
can't help to think this is to fix the loot problem I just read "GH-loot-in-House-K-quest"...
which I think is a good think but still funny it can't be said straight out.

morkahn82
08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
You manage to choose your 3 hours downtime in the middle of the 6 hours leisure time, when I am not at work or asleep.

ValenGodspeed
08-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Lemme guess - you're primarily fixing the Druid beguile since it's effecting the game not the player. While I support this we see these patches come out when someone is taking advantage of the game due to bugs you create and whereas the long term bugs languish for years. Like the floating arti pet after it tries to climb latters.

I'm guessing this won't fix the fact that the race tree keeps resetting on my Human fighter either. I apologize for the combative tone, but it's a pattern I've noticed.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong and this will actually fix something that benefits all players.

...you are getting the reset aswell, great I thought it was just me that had done something wrong on my monk! :(
Also I would hope that letting my human druid and my bladeforged Socc/pala take Epic spell power feats is in this hotfix, as they are now stuck where they are in regards to leveling.

Drwaz99
08-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Hope it fixes servants of the overlord we were unable to get into it last night it kept booting us out,

This appears to be a random instance bug. I have had it happen in Tangleroot, Von Series and a couple of other places...The quest panel would pop up and once we selected the difficulty and tried to zone in, it just boots you similar to a failed teleport but without the "failed teleport" message.

Every time I have had to re-log and the problem with that specific quest disappeared.

patang01
08-29-2013, 10:23 AM
...you are getting the reset aswell, great I thought it was just me that had done something wrong on my monk! :(
Also I would hope that letting my human druid and my bladeforged Socc/pala take Epic spell power feats is in this hotfix, as they are now stuck where they are in regards to leveling.

I'm guessing this will fix exploits only.

The rest is going to have to wait until the patch and U20 and beyond. Unless of course there's a new scheme to spend shards. Sorry, I hate to be like this but it's the MO of the last patches. Maybe just maybe they'll throw a bone in there for the rest of us like fixing the murderous sporadic lag but I doubt it. That'll require investigation and a solid patch fixed to be broken again in the next update.

eecsman
08-29-2013, 10:24 AM

"Normally / Scheduled"

http://www.catholicmannight.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tumblr_m81efoicir1r927dro1_500-gif.jpg

Dandonk
08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Yay, once again the EU gets the shaft. Lucky us. We really should've known better by now than to believe the whole "going global" thing.

ValenGodspeed
08-29-2013, 10:26 AM

The rest is going to have to wait until the patch and U20 and beyond. Unless of course there's a new scheme to spend shards. Sorry, I hate to be like this but it's the MO of the last patches. Maybe just maybe they'll throw a bone in there for the rest of us like fixing the murderous sporadic lag but I doubt it. That'll require investigation and a solid patch fixed to be broken again in the next update.

Unfortunately I fear you are right, we will see when the patch notes come online...

Wizza
08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for another patch with just 1h of notice. Just wasted more hours in your bugged EE WGU with my gf unable to complete. And again tons of resources were wasted in this quest. Way to go.

Flavilandile
08-29-2013, 10:29 AM
And then the asian players will be upset. Or what about third shifters on their day off, wanting to get some gaming in?

There is no good time to do updates for a game that is worldwide, so they pick the largest audience and work around there. The US is the main audience, and they are based in the US, so they work around that schedule.

I agree though the data collected through the DDOracle shows that 2AM-6AM Boston time is the lowest number of login/hour time, so it is probably the best time ( as in the least disruptive one ) to put a maintenance window.

While I say it's bad for me ( in Europe ), if there is evidence that it's the best time ( as in graphs showing that it's a the lowest time in term of user in game for example ) then I'll shut up.
Untril such time I'll just keep bringing it up every time they kill an European evening.

Anyone else thinking about the "Team Amrica: World Police" theme song right now?

Yep, me.
There's days when I'm of the opinion that Americans consider themselves as being The World. ( or being alone in the world )

Can I remind you that Turbine brought back into US the European Servers as a will to be a Worldwide operator ?
Can I remind you that from a business perspective they have to have on call staff and off main shift staff to do puny things like GMing and emergency recovery, and that it's not a full time shift, but occasional operations, there's no need to hire a full shift of people, just to adapt working hours to the job to do... That's what happens when I work from 2 to 6 AM... I'm not at work during the day as I already have worked my hours.

Be realistic too : You are not the center of the world, even if you think you are.

A company that wish to provide a service on a worldwide basis has to take into account when it put it's maintenance window and adapt said maintenance window so that it has the lowest impact on it's customer, that's what the telecom operators worldwide have been doing since the epoch...

That's Oz, Korea and Japan peak playing hours. Try again!

If you are more numerous than peak hour Europe then it's ok, but all the numbers from DDOracle says that it's the lowest activity time. Thus, the time when there will be the least disruption.

If Turbine shows data that it's at Europe's peak time the lowest activity time, then I'll just shut up, but until then all the data we have at hand say that they are not doing these things at the least disruptive time.

Qaliya
08-29-2013, 10:31 AM
I agree though the data collected through the DDOracle shows that 2AM-6AM Boston time is the lowest number of login/hour time, so it is probably the best time ( as in the least disruptive one ) to put a maintenance window.

Apparently you missed this post, so I'll paste it in here for your convenience.

There's days when I'm of the opinion that Americans consider themselves as being The World. ( or being alone in the world )

You want this company to turn its entire work cycle on its ear so you don't miss a couple of hours of game time. Who exactly is it that's being self-absorbed here?

I used to play a game based in Europe. I would often miss out on being the first to enjoy new features and content because they were released while I was still in bed. I didn't go onto their forums whining about how they should hold off on releases until the afternoon because it would be better for me personally.

djl
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM

There will be some epic nerdrage if they nerf Beguile/fix VON1 and do not fix 20th rewards, the fact that you need two EDs capped for Epic Spellpower even though it only says you need one, bring back Saga NPCs, fix Abbot, or fix the lack of confirmation window for Loot Rerolls.

yynderjohn
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Please fix the 20th raid reward bug and saga xp.

Chaimberland
08-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Tolero,

It doesn't matter when an update is done, it will inconvenience somebody.

HernandoCortez
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM

I wonder how long this game would last if everyone else but north americans quit playing it. Glad Turbine don't think like you do.

Hendrik
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Apparently you missed this post, so I'll paste it in here for your convenience.

You want this company to turn its entire work cycle on its ear so you don't miss a couple of hours of game time. Who exactly is it that's being self-absorbed here?

I used to play a game based in Europe. I would often miss out on being the first to enjoy new features and content because they were released while I was still in bed. I didn't go onto their forums whining about how they should hold off on releases until the afternoon because it would be better for me personally.

Funny how that works, huh?

:rolleyes:

AuraAten
08-29-2013, 10:37 AM

Tolero,

The overtime for those hours is probably very high, and since so many people went "free to play" instead of "pay to win" (not my words just a quote) that can be a financial hardship.

HernandoCortez
08-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Be realistic too : You are not the center of the world, even if you think you are.

Thanks.

Illiamfryn
08-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Please next time don't even write the d*** "scheduled downtime" thing....Honestly....

Flavilandile
08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
It doesn't matter when an update is done, it will inconvenience somebody.

I agree, and all the data we have so far tells us that the time of least inconvenience is between 2 AM and 6AM Boston time.

http://www.ddoracle.com/images/serverLoadHourly.big.png

FrancisP.Fancypants
08-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Tolero,

Seriously? Because maybe the devs that live in Boston don't want to work in the damned middle of the night.

There are 24 time zones in the world, it's always going to be peak time for someone, somewhere. It's not as though the Euro time zones are ever the only ones inconvenienced, it's just that the lot of you who whine every single patch only recall when the downtime hits your playing hours.

ValenGodspeed
08-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Seriously? Because maybe the devs that live in Boston don't want to work in the damned middle of the night.

I know its completely unrealistic, but they would not have to Work the middle of the night patching if they made the **** Work the first time...

Urist
No, we want this company to not regularly inconvenience its second-largest group of customers.

The timing of patches says one thing to me - that Turbine care more about not paying their employees overtime, than they do about the experience of their customers.

How much money would it cost Turbine to pay some of their engineers to get up early? How much money (not to mention good-will) do Turbine *lose* from not having the DDO store available for at least three hours at one of the busiest times of day?

Flavilandile
Apparently you missed this post, so I'll paste it in here for your convenience..

I didn't miss it, I replied to it.

And you expect coders to work during the night ? I don't expect them to work during the night.

The hotfix has probably been ready since yesterday evening, so they could have put it live during the night.

toaftoaf
08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
[its haed enough to get themtofx anything, if we get that pushy they might take longer and essup more stff

ddo.rsmo.pt
08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
We need posts like this more often. Thank you!

Actually, we need less. I want to play.

Carry on.

Thriftex-ess
08-29-2013, 10:46 AM
UK based here and personally if servers are based in USA then gosh darn it they need to get fixed when the USA is awake. We want the fixes done properly not by some sleep starved developer, ... mind you they always are regardless of the time of day :-)

Thank you for doing before the weekend Turbine your intentions seem honourable.

Flavilandile
08-29-2013, 10:47 AM

There are 24 time zones in the world, it's always going to be peak time for someone, somewhere. It's not as though the Euro time zones are ever the only ones inconvenienced, it's just that the lot of you who whine every single patch only recall when the downtime hits your playing hours.

Not Devs ( as in developers, those that do the code ) , but I expect technicians and engineers in the operational side ( those that push the code on live ), those that do maintenance to work in the middle of the night.

And as the graph I posted shows, the time of lowest inconvenience is between 2 AM and 6AM Boston time until and unless we are provided with data that says the contrary.

Hendrik
08-29-2013, 10:48 AM
I agree, and all the data we have so far tells us that the time of least inconvenience is between 2 AM and 6AM Boston time.

Data shows that overtime costs money.

Data shows that downtime is scheduled at the most convenient time for Turbine since Launch.

Data shows players are going to complain about downtime no matter where they live in the world.

Instead of complaining about how this minor inconvenience is so disruptive to you personally, again, where is your outrage for you fellow gamers? It is Nut Spas day in Russia and Slovak National Uprising Day in Slovakia. Think of the poor Russians and Slovakians that have downtime on Holidays!!!!

:D

Cordovan
08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Release Notes are up. (https://www.ddo.com/en/update-19-patch-1)

Qaliya
I didn't miss it, I replied to it.

You replied to it, but based on your most recent posts, I assure you that you most definitely missed it.

And you expect coders to work during the night ? I don't expect them to work during the night.

The hotfix has probably been ready since yesterday evening, so they could have put it live during the night.

So now in addition to making unreasonable demands, you're pretending to be a mind-reader. Fascinating.

enochiancub
Am I living in Bizarro world or did this thread really get morphed into a thread about perceived national entitlement?

Hendrik
08-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Not Devs ( as in developers, those that do the code ) , but I expect technicians and engineers in the operational side ( those that push the code on live ), those that do maintenance to work in the middle of the night.

And as the graph I posted shows, the time of lowest inconvenience is between 2 AM and 6AM Boston time until and unless we are provided with data that says the contrary.

Then we should expect you to understand that things like this are done when they are most convenient for Turbine unless it is a major emergency.

Like it always has been done and always will be...

Should be used to it now after 7 years don;t ya think?

Hendrik
08-29-2013, 10:53 AM

WEWT!

Thanks for the notes and thank the DEVs/QA for the great fixes!

:)

HernandoCortez
08-29-2013, 10:54 AM
V ery Soon
O nly those
1 Time and then no more

LOL!

My thought exactly.

ValenGodspeed
08-29-2013, 10:55 AM

So the Epic Destiny feats are WAI, or was that just to much benefit for players to fix? Figures...

Ovrad
08-29-2013, 10:58 AM

So still no sagas?

MrRoboto
I am guessing von 1 will be fixed with this update.

HernandoCortez
The end of an era:

"Vault of Night

Tharashk Arena

Fixed an issue with the end reward list."

LOL...

Jedthered
08-29-2013, 11:01 AM
So the Epic Destiny feats are WAI, or was that just to much benefit for players to fix? Figures...

Did you fix titan's forge? Are you going to put it on the known issue list? Are you going to close the raid? what gives? yes a bug report is in...

katz
08-29-2013, 11:04 AM
hmmm. a patch thread. lets see...

someone cracking jokes about what exploit(s) will be fixed. check (also, LOL... nice one)

someone, upon looking at the BIG things that DID get fixed, immediately complained about one other big thing that didn't. check.

patch notes posted, artfully ignoring the roiling arguments. check.

someone complaining that a company based on the east coast of the US is patching the game during their prime hours instead of paying extra (in overtime) to patch in the middle of the night. check, double check, and check again.

only thing we're missing is someone complaining about ship buffs.

enochiancub
08-29-2013, 11:06 AM
:: Shakes his cane :: You bloody kids and your ship buffs, ruining the neighborhood!

How's that?

Grimlock
08-29-2013, 11:08 AM
lel.

patang01
08-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Fixed beguile and von1. As they should be fixed - wrong is wrong.

Sad tho that the messed up CR on critters is still not fixed. Red named with dreadful amount of HP making it near impossible for first life normal geared toons to do basic Epic quests.

But I am happy that this was not JUST a fix to something that benefits players - but also a fix of other broken things like end reward list. Good - now I can go back to working on my citw 20th.
What I wonder however is why is there a diff between heroic and epic 20th? I mean the only one I can think of is something like Demon queen but none of them drop already epic items. Now that would be cool but that won't happen - unless they're also going to add shards to the end reward list - which would be nice.

However - I suspect that next update (rumored to be an update of existing content) will epify an already heroic raid. I'd like to see ToD since those rings need an update now when the enhancement overpass is out.

Anyways - interesting addition.

HernandoCortez
08-29-2013, 11:13 AM
However - I suspect that next update (rumored to be an update of existing content) will epify an already heroic raid. I'd like to see ToD since those rings need an update now when the enhancement overpass is out.

Epic Vale. But I can't link you to the source.

FalseFlag
08-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Fixed beguile and von1. As they should be fixed - wrong is wrong.

True, wrong is wrong. But beguile wasn't wrong. Red name immunities are wrong. They are poor, lazy design.

Beethoven
08-29-2013, 11:14 AM

That's an interesting quote coming from someone who effectively argues that people of other races/nations/cultures should be forced to work through the night just for their personal entertainment.

There is no racial/cultural/divide beyond your own sad attempt of playing a race card. Software engineers are usually only called in during off-hours to deal with an emergency (such as a software crash or a situation that can cause significant damages if not dealt with immediately). European software companies don't habitually call in their staff either only because it may be more convenient for Americans.

You paying 25 (US) cents (roughly 0.20 Euro) for the service. It takes a special kind of person to then insist their whole company should be working through the night and play the race card to insult an entire nation if you don't get your way. Also, I am European and even as such find your conduct pathetic.

If you are more numerous than peak hour Europe then it's ok, but all the numbers from DDOracle says that it's the lowest activity time. Thus, the time when there will be the least disruption.

It's also about how to treat your own employees. You may not consider them having any value as human being because they are Americans, but their employees do not have that liberty and if Turbine keeps calling in their software engineers to work through the night for every update and bug fix then they soon will find themselves short a few software engineers because they will start look for employment at a different company which does not require them to work through the night as often.

You got any statistics for that? Because having worked in management (in Europe) I do.

Celebras
08-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Anyways - interesting addition.

Epic Restless Isles, would make it interresting again...

Urist
08-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Furthermore, anyone who's had a server patch or upgrade go sideways (and I'm sure many at Turbine can remember such occasions) knows well that you should start the patching process as early in the day as possible (ie. not just before you go to lunch), so that when things do go pear-shaped, everyone's there who might be needed to help, and you reduce the amount of *unexpected* overtime you have to pay for people to stay late into the evening.
Seriously? 1130? Does it really take that long to get everyone to confirm that nothing has changed since the code was prepped the day before?

And to everyone complaining about people complaining: What the heck else do you expect us to do, when the game is down during our prime playing time :P

Havok.cry
08-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank you for the quick and timely release notes

BOgre
08-29-2013, 11:17 AM

How about you start putting these events on the Calendar? It's fixed now, and most of us would find it pretty easy to add checking that link to our daily routine.

Ovrad
08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
However - I suspect that next update (rumored to be an update of existing content) will epify an already heroic raid.

Is it Tempest Spine!? Please let it be Tempest Spine!

It's still the raid with the best gameplay in my opinion, because it's one of the only one where you feel like storm an enemy Stronghold, instead of just beating down a sack of hp.

Grosbeak07
08-29-2013, 11:22 AM
How about you start putting these events on the Calendar? It's fixed now, and most of us would find it pretty easy to add checking that link to our daily routine.

You could staple down times to players foreheads and you would still see people posting "Why you take server down with no warningz?"

UurlockYgmeov
08-29-2013, 11:26 AM
was cannith challenge gear fixed ? don't see it in the release notes - and nothing mentioned in known issues...

BOgre
08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
You could staple down times to players foreheads and you would still see people posting "Why you take server down with no warningz?"

I'm not trying to suggest a solution that would please those types. And yeah, I was shaking my head at all the ppl wondering where the "new posts" link went, despite the Notice at the top of every page... ugh. No, I'm talking about the rest of, smart enough to actually use the resources provided to us. The calendar page exists, it's fixed, it should be used.

Systern
08-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Are the release notes complete?

wait... How incomplete are the release notes?

Are EE mobs still in every Epic difficulty of U13's quests?
Sagas back on-line?
Those uncomplete-able Shadowfell quests still Uncomplete-able?

Probably lower priority for you guys but my personal pet bug... In the past year the only time Improved Feint hasn't been broken* was the period between U15 and U16 where you accidentally removed it from game entirely. (Okay, so it kinda works, if you take no action for 2 full seconds after performing the attack you'll get the bluff check. No auto-attack. don't get hit. Don't block. Don't move. So, It's just coded so horribly that it never works in actual gameplay. Please revert to the ~U12-U13 version of the feat.)

jalont
08-29-2013, 11:32 AM
True, wrong is wrong. But beguile wasn't wrong. Red name immunities are wrong. They are poor, lazy design.

I'm sorry, no. This game is already too easy. A lack of red name immunities would push it into kiddie realm.

Flavilandile
08-29-2013, 11:35 AM
It takes a special kind of person to then insist their whole company should be working through the night and play the race card to insult an entire nation if you don't get your way. Also, I am European and even as such find your conduct pathetic.

Not the whole company, the required persons to roll out the update on the live server. That's probably 3/4 people at the data center.

As for the race card, I wasn't the one that called it, I answered to it, and it was a country card ( as the US against the rest of the world ) more than a race card.
I couldn't care less if people are blue, green, red, brown, black, yellow, purple or white.

It's also about how to treat your own employees. You may not consider them having any value as human being because they are Americans, but their employees do not have that liberty and if Turbine keeps calling in their software engineers to work through the night for every update and bug fix then they soon will find themselves short a few software engineers because they will start look for employment at a different company which does not require them to work through the night as often.

You got any statistics for that? Because having worked in management (in Europe) I do.

There's jobs where it's included in the description that you are bound to do night shift work ( more or less ) regularly.
It's included in my job description, and I know that most if not all the operational people in Telecoms in Europe have it included in their job description.
I also know that it's included in a lot of IT companies operational job descriptions... a Software Engineer ( aka developer ) is not an operational job, it's a Design job.

Teh_Troll
08-29-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry, no. This game is already too easy. A lack of red name immunities would push it into kiddie realm.

Have to agree, as fun as it was while it lasted this changed needed to go.

HernandoCortez
08-29-2013, 11:36 AM
That's an interesting quote coming from someone who effectively argues that people of other races/nations/cultures should be forced to work through the night just for their personal entertainment.

There is no racial/cultural/divide beyond your own sad attempt of playing a race card. Software engineers are usually only called in during off-hours to deal with an emergency (such as a software crash or a situation that can cause significant damages if not dealt with immediately). European software companies don't habitually call in their staff either only because it may be more convenient for Americans.

You paying 25 (US) cents (roughly 0.20 Euro) for the service. It takes a special kind of person to then insist their whole company should be working through the night and play the race card to insult an entire nation if you don't get your way. Also, I am European and even as such find your conduct pathetic.

1st - nobody is forced to do anything. Don't like being called in the night to go to work? Quit the job and go do something else, like I did. No more IT for me. What you call their "personal entertainment" is Turbine's business. And they do care about their customers' opinion - at least they've been lately.

2nd - "European software companies don't habitually call in their staff either only because it may be more convenient for Americans." Its not about nationality. Its about business. If your customer is being affected by an issue, it affects your business as a whole. Didn't they shut the servers down for MAC user's "convenience"?

3rd - it doesn't matter if you pay a penny or a dollar per hour, its business. How many people are affected in EU or Asia or wherever because a server downtime? If its more than americans, fair enough to change the downtime, which I don't think its the case here. Telling someone their "Conduct is Pathetic" is a personnal offense IMO - its their OPINION - thus, THAT is pathetic... sorry.

Qaliya
08-29-2013, 11:37 AM

An excellent point. (Which will no doubt be ignored like so many others in this thread.)

DunkleNymphe
08-29-2013, 11:41 AM

Tolero,

I think you made an epic fail with a routine common sense skill check...

The apparent reason is that they'll have to pay their staff more for work outside normal office hours. Duh.
I am sure you can live without playing for an evening. Btw, I am in the EU, too, and while I'd prefer a bit more of advance notice, I absolutely understand that Turbine doesn't want to force their staff to get up in the middle of the night to do a patch.

vhortex
08-29-2013, 11:42 AM
No, we want this company to not regularly inconvenience its second-largest group of customers.

The timing of patches says one thing to me - that Turbine care more about not paying their employees overtime, than they do about the experience of their customers.

How much money would it cost Turbine to pay some of their engineers to get up early? How much money (not to mention good-will) do Turbine *lose* from not having the DDO store available for at least three hours at one of the busiest times of day?

I stopped buying from the store and dropped my VIP after they forced me to face the downtime on all of my free playing time and I am not even in Europe, it is an inconvenience for us in East Asia and for Australians too.

Violith
08-29-2013, 11:42 AM
So are saga's back or they gone for good? was there even a word as to what was wrong with them cause they worked fine for me, cept it was only lettting me shard skip 1 quest a day (might've been 1 forever since I never got a chance to run it a 2nd time, but it didnt let me skip a quest in the second round after I already skipped one to finish the previous one)

and, While I agree beguile should be fixed, making bosses completely immune just makes that ability useless (and forcing us to waste AP on taking it to take the SLA's) I can see raid bosses but not normal red names. unless your running stuff over your level by like 5-6 levels the thing wouldnt have enough time to tick up to anywhere near useful, so the only place it was worth it was on quest bosses, and if a 50% reduct was deemed too powerful then make it a reduced chance/amount on red names. not complete immunity

Heroic and Epic raid completions are now tracked separately for the purposes of calculating special 20th completion end reward lists. Existing progress has been placed into the Heroic and Epic completion columns as appropriate.

what does this enable exactly? AFAIK its no raid has different gear between epic/heroic, not to mention we cant run a heroic and then run the epic right afterwards (unless you changed the timer to be seperate as well). so this fix seems rather pointless. unless the Epic quests now contain the Epic versions of the items it normally drops the shards for, and thus by running it epic 20times we'll be able to choose the Epic item(please tell me this was the fix and you merely didnt say so because you wanted us to find out ourselves through playing)

thesiuscadol
08-29-2013, 11:44 AM
The trouble with that is that you would not get any response to your update till the next morning and if it failed you would want to wait another 24 hours? If you do it during the regular shift and there is a problem you can recover and you have the advantage of stores (cards and drives do go down) being open to get replacement equipment. Not may computer supply shops open at 2 am Boston time. In a perfect world there would be no patches.

drathdragon
08-29-2013, 11:45 AM
ehmm.. sorry

can anybody give me a link to the patch notes ?

thanks in advance

Cordovan
08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
The Saga system will return in a future update, but the fix to it didn't make it into this patch.

enochiancub
08-29-2013, 11:47 AM
ehmm.. sorry

can anybody give me a link to the patch notes ?

thanks in advance

Scroll up to where they were posted?
Check the dev tracker tool?

Cordovan
08-29-2013, 11:47 AM
The arguments and fighting over workers rights, time zones, inconveniences caused by downtime to one group of people over another, etc. end now. Further discussions along these lines will be deleted, and the person discussing them in this thread will be infracted. Consider yourself duly warned.

patang01
08-29-2013, 11:48 AM

I agree, and it seems that with this xpack they decided to up the HP because people are running with high end EDs. The result is that my first lifer with a epic souleater had to spend over 5 minutes killing the fire reaver in EN second spinner quest and about the same nailing the red named hezrau. It had 58k HP.

EN - that's just crazy. Had it not been for beguile I wouldn't never been able to finish both of those encounters.

Archangel_666
08-29-2013, 11:50 AM
So...

When the Servers come back online and I log onto my Monk, am I going to find that if I hit Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm my EiN charges start building again?

Am I going to find that all the Canith Challenge Gear that I made Tier Three (And thus Bound to Character) specifically so I could lower the level with Masterful Craftsmanship is now actually recognising that I used Masterful Craftsmanship on them?

For that matter are those same Canith Challenge Items going to actually show the correct Spell Lores?

SirCrazyRob
08-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Scroll up to where they were posted?
Check the dev tracker tool?

https://www.ddo.com/en/update-19-patch-1 there ya go bro

Flavilandile
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
never mind: seen Cordovan's post

SickCat
Personally, I LOVE frequent patching. I don't care if it's at 8pm on a Friday night. If you have a fix for something, you better believe I'll go make a sandwich or watch a movie while it gets fixed. Patches every day? SURE! I'll never complain about the game getting repairs no matter when they are or how frequent.

That's just me...

drathdragon
https://www.ddo.com/en/update-19-patch-1 there ya go bro

thanks so much !

thesiuscadol
08-29-2013, 11:56 AM
You know the one where you hit turn undead and the wizards around you go where did that come from?

Systern
08-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree, and it seems that with this xpack they decided to up the HP because people are running with high end EDs. The result is that my first lifer with a epic souleater had to spend over 5 minutes killing the fire reaver in EN second spinner quest and about the same nailing the red named hezrau. It had 58k HP.

EN - that's just crazy. Had it not been for beguile I wouldn't never been able to finish both of those encounters.

Take a look at their CRs. It doesn't matter what difficulty you're running, you're fighting the EE mobs.
That's the problem in the Web of Chaos chain.

Pantronic
08-29-2013, 11:58 AM

[self censored since I did not see the warning about talking about this issue before I wrote it]

patang01
08-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Take a look at their CRs. It doesn't matter what difficulty you're running, you're fighting the EE mobs.
That's the problem in the Web of Chaos chain.

If it's only that pack I assume I'm out of the woods moving onto Eveningstar - phew.

Although if you do some stormhorn quest you run into some bosses (giant comes to mind) with a god awful amount of HP. And knockback. Combine both and it makes for the dullest fight ever.

mmitch5
08-29-2013, 12:08 PM
We always have people complaining about downtime server and scheduled maintenance etc..

But same people are criticizing every aspect of this game

Once and for all why do they make patch ?

I am going to say that I am fine with this patch if it corrects a number of problems in DDo especially the
Quest saga givers

ciao

Ytteri
08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
The Saga system will return in a future update, but the fix to it didn't make it into this patch.

What's the problem with sagas anyway? It's a little frustrating because when they were taken down I was 2 quests away from getting my first reward from them.

Therigar
08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Did not read Cordovan's post until after making my observations. So deleting what was here.

smeggy1384
08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
What's the problem with sagas anyway? It's a little frustrating because when they were taken down I was 2 quests away from getting my first reward from them.

Someone said ingame the exp awards were not functioning properly.. i believe it was like the exp tokens you get from daily dice but could not use, almost like when you get a disconnect and earn guild renown.. you get an un-usable renown token.

BryanHasty
08-29-2013, 12:25 PM
My game server is updating... preparing to log in

Thank You @ turbine for being quick and finishing an hour ahead of posted schedule.

Violith
08-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Someone said ingame the exp awards were not functioning properly.. i believe it was like the exp tokens you get from daily dice but could not use, almost like when you get a disconnect and earn guild renown.. you get an un-usable renown token.

if that was it you'd think it'd be an easy fix, make them actually give the token that can be clicked like the daily dice, but make it BTC (since a BTA would be rather powerful for the amount the saga's give). Quite frankly that would be a welcome change since it would stop people using it in destinies that are capped but have forgotten to switch to (their own fault, I know, but it is rather a let down when it happens)

Nestroy
08-29-2013, 12:33 PM
My game server is updating... preparing to log in

Thank You @ turbine for being quick and finishing an hour ahead of posted schedule.

And the big disappointment following soon(tm) - the servers are still down.

rjbutchko
08-29-2013, 12:41 PM
My game updated but I got an error trying to log in.

Failed to read authentication response [ err end of file][line: 1 ] [col: 1]

Opensezame
08-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Getting that too

rsking
08-29-2013, 12:43 PM
i'm getting the same error message.......

Stoner81
08-29-2013, 12:44 PM

I have the same issue.

Stoner81.

Nestroy
08-29-2013, 12:44 PM

b/c the servers are still down. and they shifted from 2pm to 2.30 pm already. Let´s see how long it will take Turbine today to get DDO back online.

PsychoBlonde
08-29-2013, 12:45 PM
It's part of my job description to be called into work at indecent hours. I get paid for that.

In IT and Telecom it's usually a standard feature of operational jobs ( though it doesn't seems to be the case at Turbine ) , as maintenance is done at the low time in the network...
Which is usually at an indecent hour for the common people...

I stopped counting my all nighters at work long ago.
( and yes that includes being called at 2AM on January 1st and spending the whole day in a data center trying to fix a broken system )

2AM to 6AM GMT (for Europeans) would be prime gaming hours in the eastern US. (9pm to 1am) and even MORE prime hours (6pm to 10pm) in the WESTERN U.S. So, no, I don't expect them to do something like that. Or did you mean 2AM to 6AM eastern time? That'd be 7AM to 11AM (or later) in Europe, and I hear plenty of people *****ing that they like to play during the daytime so this would be a huge inconvenience for them.

The patches have to get done. Quit your whining about WHEN they get done. SOMEBODY will always be inconvenienced. If it bugs you so much that it's "always" you, either find a game that patches on a different schedule or change your hours. A break from the game isn't going to kill you.

smeggy1384
08-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Probably having the issue since the game is not back up yet, i believe it is another hour. If in doubt use the posted time and time listed at bottom of forums to figure out when they come back up.

mmitch5
08-29-2013, 12:49 PM
It is back again

Probably having the issue since the game is not back up yet, i believe it is another hour. If in doubt use the posted time and time listed at bottom of forums to figure out when they come back up.

moomooprincess
08-29-2013, 12:49 PM
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130829T1430&p0=43&msg=Servers+are+Up

Click Mehttp://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130829T1430&p0=43&msg=Servers+are+Up

Click Me (http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130829T1430&p0=43&msg=Servers+are+Up)

Cordovan
08-29-2013, 12:51 PM
The worlds have reopened! Thanks, and we'll see you in-game.

BinyaminTsadik
08-29-2013, 12:51 PM
servers are back up, what about the patch notes?

Fedora1
08-29-2013, 12:52 PM
can't help to think this is to fix the loot problem I just read "GH-loot-in-House-K-quest"...
which I think is a good think but still funny it can't be said straight out.

My thoughts exactly. Just heard about it recently and was going to check it out myself after work. lol

BinyaminTsadik
08-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Just got on the ship... everything needs repurchase....

patang01
08-29-2013, 12:55 PM

That's an old issue - it can take up to an hour to repopulate so don't waste your money.

Gratch
08-29-2013, 12:55 PM

They have a guild buff repopulator script that repops all the stuff. Please wait an hour before complaining.

AzB
08-29-2013, 01:04 PM

You should always buff before logging out during scheduled downtime. It can take some time for the buffs to reappear.

Fedora1
08-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Deleted, just saw Cordovan's post.

Fedora1
08-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Likewise deleted.

Violith
08-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Lines of Supply : Heroic: 0 / Epic : 0
The Tracker's Trap : Heroic: 1 / Epic : 0
Breaking the Ranks : Heroic: 3 / Epic : 0
A Break In the Ice : Heroic: 5 / Epic : 0
What Goes Up : Heroic: 0 / Epic : 0
Friends in Low Places : Heroic: 3 / Epic : 0
A Lesson in Deception : Heroic: 1 / Epic : 0
Army of Shadow : Heroic: 2 / Epic : 0
Through a Mirror Darkly : Heroic: 1 / Epic : 0
The Thrill of the Hunt : Heroic: 3 / Epic : 0

these are buggy, I ran all of these on Epic, never ran any of it on heroic. and what goes up I did on EE, I probably did about half of them on EE. Although since they're quests rather then raids its not much of an issue, but why have a heroic/epic counter on them if it doesnt, it just makes it more confusing.

Caught in the Web : Heroic: -6 / Epic : 10
The Chronoscope : Heroic: 6 / Epic : 1
Against the Demon Queen : Heroic: 6 / Epic : 0
The Vault of Night : Heroic: 7 / Epic : 1

So I ran heroic CITW at a negative number, how did I manage that when there is no heroic CITW. not only that, but while I dont remember exactly how many I ran, I sure hope that the -6 didnt get removed from my epic counter.

im pretty sure I ran VON5 and chronoscope more then once on epic, infact I know I ran them more then once on epic quite frankly I dont remembering running VON5 on heroic at all since I this was on my 3rd life toon and I saved the EXP for epic levels, and I've never ran von5 on heroic when we do epic von6, some might but I haven't, and for chronoscope I have EE in the quest panel and I know I've 3 man'd an EH before on this toon.

and another thing I dont see Plane of night anywhere in the list if the Vault of night is VON6 then there is really something wrong because I have never ran Von6 on heroic on this toon.

Archangel_666
08-29-2013, 02:42 PM
So...

When the Servers come back online and I log onto my Monk, am I going to find that if I hit Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm my EiN charges start building again?

Am I going to find that all the Canith Challenge Gear that I made Tier Three (And thus Bound to Character) specifically so I could lower the level with Masterful Craftsmanship is now actually recognising that I used Masterful Craftsmanship on them?

For that matter are those same Canith Challenge Items going to actually show the correct Spell Lores?

To answer my own questions:

Nope

Nope

Nope

Hoglum
08-29-2013, 02:50 PM
"•Fixes to address an instance crashing issue that was running amuck."

Is there more infomation on this? I've been having issues with a new computer & I'm hopeful this might help. I don't know what this means though. I've had a diagnostic on the new computer & it seems fine so I think it has something to do with how it interacts with DDO. I've had no problems with the computer otherwise.

thomascoolone64
08-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Error: "Could not patch file "Dndclient.exe", error 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. "

SOMEBODY HELP

Silken-Akira
08-30-2013, 04:30 AM
was hoping it would also contain a fix to the bug that breaks assassination when poison/acid (or according to some, any additional damage) is applied. But didn't see this one also on the off. bug list too... Yet there are enough complaints about it....

Just that it makes soloing on my rogue (what I do most) lot less fun (but looking at which enhancment you then don't turn on and what weapons you choose still manageable)