PDA

View Full Version : Poison attacks / Assassin attacks

foolz231
08-28-2013, 01:11 PM
What is your opinion on the poison attacks and really every attack in the assassin tree?

At the very least the non-poison attacks force a sneak attack outside of your normal hits.

I've only taken the Fort/Con poison, and put 1 point in the DOT attack, and 1 in the agro reducer/-2 fort attack. I didn't even take the 500dmg under 20% attack because it cost 2.
Just curious what you guys think.

Qezuzu
08-28-2013, 04:11 PM
The only use I can see is lowering mob saves so that party members can land effects on them slightly easier. I was also thinking that lowering a mob's fort saves would be useful in landing Assassinate, but no trash mob can survive long enough to get more than a few stacks in.

However, the stat damage may be useful in lower levels. Low-STR/DEX/WIS mobs could be incapacitated with a single strike if your weapon does additional stat damage. e.g., a critical hit while using Ice Chill and a Maladroit of Bone Breaking weapon will do 2d6+1 DEX damage, which can incapacitate a lot of mobs in 1 to 2 hits. Beholders, for example, only have 9 DEX iirc.

Other than that, they're not very useful.

mna
08-28-2013, 05:58 PM
However, the stat damage may be useful in lower levels. Low-STR/DEX/WIS mobs could be incapacitated with a single strike if your weapon does additional stat damage.
Other than that, they're not very useful.

Then again, I just learned today that some of the special attacks can even work against undead minibosses!

No, really. How come the named spectres in Delera's aren't immune to poison? They took the extra 1d6 from my Venomed Blades just fine. Oh, and some of the thrash mob undeads did too.

And apparently I also blinded a wight with Shadow Dagger... not that it did much more good than a regular attack, as it still was immune to sneak attack damage, but...

And +[W] and aggro reduction from Shiv did seem to work against undead too.

Lehmuska
08-29-2013, 11:42 PM
I've been playing around with the 500 damage if target under 20% HP, and I must say it feels like it belongs into raid boss battles and epic elites. In epic hard quests, virtually everything I've faced would die just as soon with it as without it. At most I'm saving myself one or two swings. This is assuming I'm trying to get it to land on the final 20% and not just use it as a +3[W] on a 30 second cooldown.

Qezuzu
08-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I've been playing around with the 500 damage if target under 20% HP, and I must say it feels like it belongs into raid boss battles and epic elites. In epic hard quests, virtually everything I've faced would die just as soon with it as without it. At most I'm saving myself one or two swings. This is assuming I'm trying to get it to land on the final 20% and not just use it as a +3[W] on a 30 second cooldown.

In epic elites, it is marginally useful but its cooldown is just too damned long. I think the mob you're facing needs at least 5,000 HP or the window where it can actually be used would be too short.

Also it appears to be doing 1k damage (500 twice).

Krelar
08-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Also it appears to be doing 1k damage (500 twice).

Dual wielding? Perhaps it applies to each weapon. Or possibly even double strike.

Tenebris-Niatellim
08-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Tried the venom blade skill, it was quite nice, the boost in dps, however the problem lies in the fact that it requires 6 points to fully max...

The poison attacks seem useful, as well as the agro reduc (although if your in a party I don't think you need it as much, and if your soloing, it cant really agro something else).

The execute skill seems pretty great for burning boss hp after 25% I think its worth getting but only if your going to be fighting high hp targets...

Phaeton_Seraph
09-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Tried the venom blade skill, it was quite nice, the boost in dps, however the problem lies in the fact that it requires 6 points to fully max...

The poison attacks seem useful, as well as the agro reduc (although if your in a party I don't think you need it as much, and if your soloing, it cant really agro something else).

The execute skill seems pretty great for burning boss hp after 25% I think its worth getting but only if your going to be fighting high hp targets...

Execute, in my experience, is great for finishing off things that Assassinate didn't quite kill (I remember one party member going "whoa! did you just assassinate him twice?").

Execute is also great for stealing kills ...er... finishing off orange and red-named, or any mobs that are taking a long time for a party to kill.

I haven't tried the poisons yet, as I pretty much figure that if they're still alive after one or two pokes, I'm probably in too much trouble for the poison to do me much good.

But in the case of boss fights, if I was to invest in only one poison type, which would be the best investment?

Adelair
09-11-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm mostly using the heartseeker poison as my first opening sneak attack to lower enemy fortitude saves. That makes my shadow dagger follow-up more likely to blind the enemy, which opens them up for a ton of sneak attacks.

Phaeton_Seraph
09-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Any experiences/opinions as to whether or not any of the poison attacks are particularly useful in boss fights?