PDA

View Full Version : Voice chat indicators on map and above players

schelsullivan
08-26-2013, 10:28 AM
I think it would be a good idea if when someone is using the microphone, some icon should appear above that players toon. Map icons for each player should also have some indicator when someone is mic'ed up.

It would be great for those situations when some says, "I need a FOM please" or "Can I get a heal" or "Hey its over here"
but then you try to find them on the map or amongst a 11 other players surrounded by a horde of mobs, and by the time you figure out who spoke and where they are its too late.

eris2323
08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I think it would be a good idea if when someone is using the microphone, some icon should appear above that players toon. Map icons for each player should also have some indicator when someone is mic'ed up.

It would be great for those situations when some says, "I need a FOM please" or "Can I get a heal" or "Hey its over here"
but then you try to find them on the map or amongst a 11 other players surrounded by a horde of mobs, and by the time you figure out who spoke and where they are its too late.

This would be nice - however, until they add individual volume controls to in-game voice chat, it is totally useless to me, and I stick with Teamspeak, as I prefer to actually use voicechat to communicate and not to yell at my stupid computer as to why this pugger is so damned loud.

It is so bad I just use text chat in-game, always. Not worth the aggravation of using in-game chat, to me.

So sure - if they update voice chat with individual volume controls, I'd be all for this addition - but since voice chat is stuck in the 90s, meh.... they could spend their time better programming solely to fix bugs :)

schelsullivan
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
This would be nice - however, until they add individual volume controls to in-game voice chat, it is totally useless to me, and I stick with Teamspeak, as I prefer to actually use voicechat to communicate and not to yell at my stupid computer as to why this pugger is so damned loud.

It is so bad I just use text chat in-game, always. Not worth the aggravation of using in-game chat, to me.

So sure - if they update voice chat with individual volume controls, I'd be all for this addition - but since voice chat is stuck in the 90s, meh.... they could spend their time better programming solely to fix bugs :)

The idea of having a playback volume control for each member is a great idea too, even better is compression/limiting software. I know this exists in software because of my experience with home studio setups. Compression/limiting algorithms can make all the voice chat the same volume by "bring up the quiet parts" and "lowering the too loud parts" all to an acceptable level.

As to the bugs that remain unfixed, meh I've learn to accept them.

ssgcmwatson
08-26-2013, 05:41 PM
I think the OP's idea is great, but I also agree that first we need individual volume controls (and they are WAAAAAAAYYYYY overdue!).