PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise on a pure ranger

zarious
08-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I haven't played the game for a while and I have a elf 18 ranger 1 fighter 1 rouge build from way back. I want to use my +20 heart to turn him into a pure dex based ranger. My questions are mostly about feats

This guy has a TON of awesome rapiers "or what were awesome a year ago" do I still have to have the over sized weapon feats to dual wield them without penalty?

I also used to use bows a lot with many shot ect. Is that still a viable option?

I would like the guy to be able to heal himself some what, has the way that works changed any "heal???"

Do rangers get evasion free?

Any other suggestions anyone could offer would be appreciated.

unbongwah
08-25-2013, 12:26 AM
This guy has a TON of awesome rapiers "or what were awesome a year ago" do I still have to have the over sized weapon feats to dual wield them without penalty?
No, you don't. And since it's no longer a pre-req for Tempest, I would skip it entirely. In its place, I would consider TWD; it plus Imp Parry (T2 Tempest ability) gets you +15 PRR. With lt armor that gets you ~30 PRR (~17% dmg mitigation) before other gear bonuses.

I also used to use bows a lot with many shot ect. Is that still a viable option?
Yes, it is.

I would like the guy to be able to heal himself some what, has the way that works changed any "heal???"
The only real change is the Heal skill now boosts Positive (& Negative) Spellpower. Fortunately, it's a rgr class skill and you don't have much else to spend your skill pts on, so...

Yes, @ lvl 9.

The main question for a pure rgr is how to split your feats & APs between melee & ranged. I cover my rgr wish list here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423511-Toxophilite?p=5076588&viewfull=1#post5076588); as an elf you'll get 7 heroic and 3 epic feats. [Your ED feats should almost certainly be PTWF and Doubleshot.]

mezzorco
08-25-2013, 08:18 AM
do I still have to have the over sized weapon feats to dual wield them without penalty?

Without OTWF you have -4/-4 penalty, with OTWF penalty lowers to -2/-2.
However, giving changes to AC and hit mechanics, it's not advisable to take this feat since it has little to no benefits in most cases.

Main change is that now heal skill improves your heals. This being said, just max out heal skill and equip a +heal item and you'll be fine. If you want to pump up your heals, invest into Increased Empathy and Versatile Empathy in DWS, they will net you another 75 positive spell power.

As usual at level 9. Now you can also have Improved Evasion if you're Tempest, it's named Evasive Dance and it's a tier 5 enhancement.

Soulfurnace
08-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Main change is that now heal skill improves your heals. This being said, just max out heal skill and equip a +heal item and you'll be fine. If you want to pump up your heals, invest into Increased Empathy and Versatile Empathy in DWS, they will net you another 75 positive spell power.

You'd recommend maxing heal, then a heal item, but versatile empathy is an optional extra? Psh.
1 ap in DWS gives 1 sneak attack (3.5 avg), which any ranger should take.
5 more ap for 75 positive energy... Yeah, I'm not calling that optional. :P

My theory in regards to bows: If you have manyshot, use it. Amazing dps increase. When manyshot is on timer, pull out those swords - you're a tempest after all. *Note. If you're an AA or DWS, use your bow more often, of course.

Oversized TWF... Maybe? My brain is 3/4 asleep, but based off this thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/421413-Tempest-OTWF-TWB-and-TWD) it might be worth it for EE. Short of EE, I wouldn't do it. (And that's only if that thread is accurate. I'd love to confirm, but my brain died a few hours back.)

mezzorco
08-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I'm not calling that optional. :P

Neither I :P

Optional is not the word I used:

If you WANT to pump up your heals, INVEST into ...

Maybe I should have been clearer about how much I evaluate those 75 devotion, let me say I'm going to make a good use of them on my 16bard/2ftr/2rng :P