PDA

View Full Version : New player looking for some advice.

Irift_Heat
08-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Most of the links in the stickys are 404'd =(

I really just want to know how unforgiving DDO is on how you level your character. Can I just play how I want and have fun to the cap, then TR (or whatever it is called...) and min/max then?

I've played 3.5 for ages, and have put many hours into DDO in the past. I have a drow rogue around level 10 I think, but it's been a long time since I played him. I really want to play a artificer/rogue, is this viable? I was playing my rogue as a trap/Xbow guy before, it seems like artificer just takes that to the next level.

Soulfurnace
08-22-2013, 05:13 AM
404 error?
Old forums were like this: https://www.ddo.com/en/showpost.php?
However, that now turns up a 404 error.
You can fix it though, by changing the /en/ to /forums/...

DDO is fairly forgiving, as long as you don't break the "rules". Basic rules, take useful feats, don't try do everything on one build, have decent saves and hp.
The rest kinda takes care of itself.

You can't really play everything, because some concepts are bad - but a rogue/artificer is fine.
With the enhancement pass, I'm not sure of what a decent pew pew build is, but you should be okay anyway.

unbongwah
08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
As long as you remember your primary goals are (A) stay alive, (B) kill monsters, and (C) take their stuff, you'll find a lot of builds are viable in DDO. :) Obviously, some approaches are considered more efficient / optimal than others, but you do not need to minmax just to have fun & level to cap. Likewise, some builds are easier to solo than others, but with a cleric hireling you can tackle most content on your own.

Mechanics get some new toys to play with in the new Enhancement overhaul; and the PrEs are no longer mutually exclusive. In fact, I think a pure rogue Mechanic / Assassin could be pretty interesting.

PsychoBlonde
08-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Most of the links in the stickys are 404'd =(

I really just want to know how unforgiving DDO is on how you level your character. Can I just play how I want and have fun to the cap, then TR (or whatever it is called...) and min/max then?

I've played 3.5 for ages, and have put many hours into DDO in the past. I have a drow rogue around level 10 I think, but it's been a long time since I played him. I really want to play a artificer/rogue, is this viable? I was playing my rogue as a trap/Xbow guy before, it seems like artificer just takes that to the next level.

On a drow I would really suggest seriously checking out shuriken for your ranged option (drow get shuriken expertise for free), I have a guildie who uses them on a straight rogue and does obscene damage, plus there is a nice new epic shuriken that just came out. This is a really powerful combo with the assassin poison stuff.

Istaria1
08-22-2013, 03:15 PM
One thing that nobody seems to have mentioned so far...

Currently, you can't TR into or out of an Iconic class. The tempation to start at 15 and be powerful off the bat is strong, but please don't rely on a TR to save a borked character. However, it's hard to TOTALLY bork a char. You have Fred who will give feat exchanges, and you can reset Enhancements anytime now (although you will need plat if you do it often).

Also, please note that Iconic are regarded as a RACE. That is, you won't be drow anymore. Dunno why that is, but there you go. Having said that, it could work quite well in your favour.

WRT Artis - in my (limited) experience they ROCK. I'll be TRing my Wiz into an Arti this week with any luck. I love the class as far as I've played it (level 10 alt, just to test).

Aes.