PDA

View Full Version : Give us Ed Greenwood!!!

Velluminous
08-17-2013, 08:04 AM
We've been brought into the Forgotten Realms. We've met Elminster. Now give us the man who created both!

Is there any way we can get Ed Greenwood to possibly create a short adventure (maybe 3 dungeons? (Obviously I'm not asking we toss Ed behind a keyboard and have him whip us up a dungeon or two, but I think the devs could manage to translate a written adventure to the game.)) and narrate them?

We already have Gygax narrating Delera's and Arneson narrating Threnal; I think Mr. Greenwood would be a perfect addition to the 'guest DM' roster, especially now that we're playing with the realm he created.

Uska
08-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Please no and let's go back to Eberron or let's go to greyhawk anything but get us out of the better they were forgotten realms!

Velluminous
08-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Please no and let's go back to Eberron or let's go to greyhawk anything but get us out of the better they were forgotten realms!

They're clearly focusing on Forgotten Realms right now. The Shadowfell expansion is expanding the FR universe even more. I seriously doubt we'll see another realm (Greyhawk/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc) any time soon, if even at all. And since people are playing (paying for) it, that's where their focus will remain for the foreseeable future.

If you'd like to see more Eberron content, please make a suggestion thread of your own instead of providing negative comments, or at least provide some constructive feedback.

Uska
08-17-2013, 10:24 AM
They're clearly focusing on Forgotten Realms right now. The Shadowfell expansion is expanding the FR universe even more. I seriously doubt we'll see another realm (Greyhawk/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc) any time soon, if even at all. And since people are playing (paying for) it, that's where their focus will remain for the foreseeable future.

If you'd like to see more Eberron content, please make a suggestion thread of your own instead of providing negative comments, or at least provide some constructive feedback.

If someone puts forth a suggestion I am against I will say so and why as is my right as I am a subscriber and spend additional funds and I am not alone in my hatred of the realms you don't want me commenting dont post or put me on ignore and I did post constructive feedback I let it be known I don't like the realms

Flavilandile
08-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I think Mr Greenwood is deep with Mythic/PWE and NWN, so if that's the case there's probably about zero chances that we get him to do something.

Dagolar
08-17-2013, 03:39 PM
R.A. Salvatore'd be a more iconic figure for the setting, and would most likely be able to provide a more complexly designed offering.
Just a consideration.

Velluminous
08-17-2013, 04:29 PM
If someone puts forth a suggestion I am against I will say so and why as is my right as I am a subscriber and spend additional funds and I am not alone in my hatred of the realms you don't want me commenting dont post or put me on ignore and I did post constructive feedback I let it be known I don't like the realms

Your statements (and attitude) are hardly conducive to the topic at hand.

I think Mr Greenwood is deep with Mythic/PWE and NWN, so if that's the case there's probably about zero chances that we get him to do something.

I don't know that he's done anything with PWE's Neverwinter...? If so, they sure didn't make any noise about it. Other than seeing their game is based in the Realms, I can't see any direct involvement from Mr.Greenwood there... Could you tell me how he's involved there?

R.A. Salvatore'd be a more iconic figure for the setting, and would most likely be able to provide a more complexly designed offering.
Just a consideration.

Perhaps, but my reasoning behind Mr. Greenwood is this: He created Forgotten Realms and Elminster, both of which we have interactions with now. Additionally, he's interested and active with anything Forgotten Realms related. He still answers questions on the Candlekeep forums, has written hundreds of books and Dragon Magazine articles concerning the realms, and has been an active DM and player (since '75) in his own campaign. I feel like he could deliver a very in-depth (even if short) adventure in the FR setting.
Basically, he's a really nice guy who supports people gaming (oft times for free) and I think he deserves the recognition.

Satyriasys
08-18-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree Greenwood would be cool

Norean
08-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I was introduced to d&d by a little nes game called Pool of Radience. That game was awesome. I'd play it now if my nes still worked. What I'd like to see added to the game is the city of Phlan. I bring this up because I think PoR took place in the Forgotten Realms? Of course I wouldn't mind if they skipped any reference to PoR 2...

Dagolar
08-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I was introduced to d&d by a little nes game called Pool of Radience. That game was awesome. I'd play it now if my nes still worked. What I'd like to see added to the game is the city of Phlan. I bring this up because I think PoR took place in the Forgotten Realms? Of course I wouldn't mind if they skipped any reference to PoR 2...

PoR was remade several times, across several settings, from AD&D 1st through at least 3rd.
As far as FR, it had its own trilogy of books, and the 3rd edition computer game (horrifically bad as it was) also took place there.
So all the lore is presented and accounted for within the setting, so it can certainly be added in some form or another, especially since (while I don't remember if this was true for earlier versions) there are numerous pools about.

Edit: A google search doesn't actually find any non-FR settings; I'd thought it also present in (generic D&D). So yes, should be feasible. ;)

Velluminous
02-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead... (Yes, I know, it's been 6 months or so) ...but I just wanted to say "Thank you!" to the staff. I don't know if this thread was seen by someone or if I just happened to ask for something that was already in the works and hadn't been announced at the time... but Thank You.

A big Thank You to Ed Greenwood as well!

More so, THANK YOU!!! for making the adventure an actual printed D&D module!!! I never got to play the AD&D print version so I don't know how much of it converted over to DDO/3.5, but I'm sure you guys made it work.

:D

Satyriasys
02-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Yup you called it, and the quest is superb.

kilagan800
02-24-2014, 11:29 PM

Turbine is putting all of its focus on Forgotten Realms.

Cordovan
02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead... (Yes, I know, it's been 6 months or so) ...but I just wanted to say "Thank you!" to the staff. I don't know if this thread was seen by someone or if I just happened to ask for something that was already in the works and hadn't been announced at the time... but Thank You.

A big Thank You to Ed Greenwood as well!

More so, THANK YOU!!! for making the adventure an actual printed D&D module!!! I never got to play the AD&D print version so I don't know how much of it converted over to DDO/3.5, but I'm sure you guys made it work.

:D

Working with Ed was already in the cards when this thread was originally made. This is an example of reading a thread and thinking, "Well SOMEONE's gonna be happy in (insert length of time here.)" :)

Vellrad
02-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Just a consideration.

Author of the most boring fantasy novels ever?
No, thanks.

Uska
02-25-2014, 10:38 AM
No, thanks.

Ding ding ding we have a winner although I don't say he is the most boring he is darn close I place he slightly less boring than Mr. Greenwood himself and there are a couple of others although they slip my mind at the moment.

Uska
02-25-2014, 10:40 AM

Sad but true

avepepix
02-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Theres a plan to add Salvatore or Troy Denning or Richard Lee Byers too?

Grosbeak07
02-25-2014, 10:55 AM

As is wizards of the coast. I bet they are telling Turbine where they can expand and where they can't.

Sokól
02-25-2014, 10:58 AM
No, thanks.

Well thats your opinion, I really had fun reading his books 15 years ago...

tu_mater
02-25-2014, 10:59 AM
working with ed was already in the cards when this thread was originally made. This is an example of reading a thread and thinking, "well someone's gonna be happy (soon)" :)

ftfy

Bogenbroom
02-25-2014, 11:06 AM
As is wizards of the coast. I bet they are telling Turbine where they can expand and where they can't.

I'm sure they have significant input. Frankly, I'm perfectly happy with the FR stuff. I'm not terribly familiar with the FR story lines outside of DDO, and to me it has more of a generic D&D feel to it. They've done great things with Ebberon, but to me that environment is more of a flavor fantasy environment.

When I was playing tabletop is was Greyhawk, so that's what I think of when I think of the genre, and FR seems to be, setting wise, fairly similar. Ebberon, Planescape, Ravenloft, etc seem to me to be flavor settings.

bruener
02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Just a consideration.

/signed x10

Satyriasys
02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Turbine surprised me with how well they were able to recreate the FR setting. Everything looks really great.

I also like the idea of Eberron in theory, but have been unhappy with Turbines presentation of it, visually speaking.

avepepix
02-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Well thats your opinion, I really had fun reading his books 15 years ago...

Im still having fun with Salvatore, im just started transitions

Seikojin
02-25-2014, 12:11 PM

neeeh, I wouldn't count on that too heavily. I know from experience here that they nudge, poke and prod, but full on cattle calling? Nah. I know they do a lot of back and forth when what they go to put into ddo ties into or may conflict with published cannon.

Seikojin
02-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Turbine surprised me with how well they were able to recreate the FR setting. Everything looks really great.

I also like the idea of Eberron in theory, but have been unhappy with Turbines presentation of it, visually speaking.

I am happy with how well they have done FR too. And I think Eberron on is lacking due to how little freedom they had with the setting. I am sure they could show more and do more now that the setting has matured in pen and paper.

die
02-25-2014, 12:24 PM

To say
" I don't like the Realms"
Is just being indifferent for no other reason than to be Indifferent. The Realms has every thing. For all tastes. So to say you don't like it is just to be combative its that Obvious.

Uska
02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
To say
" I don't like the Realms"
Is just being indifferent for no other reason than to be Indifferent. The Realms has every thing. For all tastes. So to say you don't like it is just to be combative its that Obvious.

Wong the realms are completely boring and unoriginal I said that the first time they came out all those years ago and my contempt for them has only grown it doesn't have every thing for all tastes it has nothing for me and I am far from being alone in how I feel I nearly quit when they shifted to the realms but I like ddo enough I ignore the realm storyline and when I do go to the quests there I pretend its part of Eberron

Gratch
02-25-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm gonna go start a thread: "Give us <the guy who did the outer planes of Shavarath stuff>" Maybe that's Keith Baker?

Tired of EPIC end game being wolves and spiders and skeletons and ... heroic cruds with too many HP's.

Take us back to the planes. Put a new quest series+raid on the Demon or Angel side of Shavarath. Add an L26 upgrade altar for all the stuff that comes out of ToD+belts and put rings/belts for missing PRE's into the new content. Feel free to tie the story in with Lolth ripping open the rift between Eberron and the Realms.

Or if that's too easy, just give us Planescape's city of Sigil. Easy. Win.

Robai
02-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Just curious who narrated Tower of Despair raid?
Because the part where he says " ... Eberron Burns ..." (right before Phase 2) is the top best narration in the DDO (and by far).

Dandonk
02-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Am I really the only one who read the title as give us the ED Greenwood?

zeonardo
02-25-2014, 01:10 PM
"Well SOMEONE's gonna be happy SOON ™"

Fixed.
YW!

zeonardo
02-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Am I really the only one who read the title as give us the ED Greenwood?

Nope.
I was really curious about this new suggestion of a Primal Sphere EPIC DESTINY

WilliamBraveheart
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM

Played that game on my commodore 64

Uska
02-25-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm gonna go start a thread: "Give us <the guy who did the outer planes of Shavarath stuff>" Maybe that's Keith Baker?

Tired of EPIC end game being wolves and spiders and skeletons and ... heroic cruds with too many HP's.

Take us back to the planes. Put a new quest series+raid on the Demon or Angel side of Shavarath. Add an L26 upgrade altar for all the stuff that comes out of ToD+belts and put rings/belts for missing PRE's into the new content. Feel free to tie the story in with Lolth ripping open the rift between Eberron and the Realms.

Or if that's too easy, just give us Planescape's city of Sigil. Easy. Win.

Not everyone was a fan of that either but I don't hold it in the contempt I do the realms

Singular
02-25-2014, 10:09 PM

Good! Eberron is so yesterday, so filled with outdated, blachy grind systems. No thank you! Except for GH. I like epic GH. Hopefully epic 3BC will be as awesome. Oh, hey, I guess that's Eberron stuff. So...nope, you're not entirely correct.

Certon
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Good! Eberron is so yesterday, so filled with outdated, blachy grind systems. No thank you! Except for GH. I like epic GH. Hopefully epic 3BC will be as awesome. Oh, hey, I guess that's Eberron stuff. So...nope, you're not entirely correct.

3BC is up there on my 'avoid it like it was Threnal' list, as it is for almost all my guildies. I don't know why they'd epic-ify that quest chain.

Just boring, terrible, and I have no idea how 'EPIC' the overall plot could ever be. It's friggin' pirates for chrissake.