PDA

View Full Version : what good are cleric past lives?

kendo
08-11-2013, 07:16 PM
approaching 20 on my cleric and really hadn't read much about their past life bonuses. we get a +1 to conjuration spells?? what I am missing because that seems almost worthless to a cleric. unless you are using heal spells against undead, I see only 2 spells that could benefit from this - deific vengeance and comet fall. and only the latter is probably going to get any use in higher levels.

the extra build points are nice but right now I am leaning towards just leaving him as a first lifer and work on EDs instead. other casters see some real benefit from several past lives but not seeing a benefit to have cleric past lives. or am I overlooking something?

Satyriasys
08-11-2013, 08:08 PM
It also increases you turning ability and the +1 conjuration is nice if you tr into an acid arcane.

Syllph
08-11-2013, 10:07 PM
It's good for wizards and sorcs. Web is a conjuration spell and one of the best CC spells in my opinion. All acid spells are also conjuration. For clerics it's not as useful (even the turn undead doesn't seem that special), but at least Cometfall uses conj DCs (a few others do, like Deific Vengeance)

SirValentine
08-12-2013, 05:22 AM
we get a +1 to conjuration spells?? what I am missing because that seems almost worthless to a cleric.
<snip>
I see only 2 spells that could benefit from this - deific vengeance and comet fall.

You said it yourself: Cometfall. Knockdown with no Spell Pen check? Sign me up!

Though other casters, Wiz/Sorc/Drd, also have a variety of Conjuration spells to benefit from this past life, especially Web for Wiz/Sorc.

other casters see some real benefit from several past lives but not seeing a benefit to have cleric past lives. or am I overlooking something?

I see more benefit to a Clr PL for a caster than a FvS PL, and some people grind out 3 of those, too. If you don't care about your DCs, well, that's up to you.

Oh, and if you are actually going to TR back to a Cleric (or Pally), don't forget the bonuses to Turn Undead, as well. Useless to other classes, but very nice for a Cleric.

kendo
08-12-2013, 08:11 AM
maybe my original post wasn't clear, I am considering TRing my first life cleric back into a cleric. trying to decide if it's really worth it.

my first impression is in line with some of the comments I have seen so far. +1 to conjuration spells is not bad, if you are going to build an acid wizard or sorcerer. and while comet fall is a nice spell, I cannot really see doing a TR for 1 spell.

compare a cleric's past life feat to a wizard or sorcerer past life - +2 spell penetration to ALL spells that use it or +1 DC to Evocation spells which could be applied to at least a dozen decent spells in a sorcerer's spell book.

those provide good incentive to TR a time or two back into the same class and are still useful for other classes. I don't see the same benefit to TR a cleric back into a cleric. unless a +2 to turn undead has way more use than I give it credit for.

so let me ask my question a different way. assuming you don't have the time to TR multiple times, e.g. from cleric to wizard to sorc and back again to cleric and are focusing on a cleric with 1 or maybe 2 past lives, was it worth it to you to TR? or would you recommend staying on a first life cleric and spending that time on epic destinies? if it makes a difference, this is a 32 pt build, so the TR would gain only 2 build points. I could see doing a TR to jump from a 28 point build to a 34, especially if the past life feat is worth it.

Soulfurnace
08-12-2013, 08:31 AM
There is no simple answer.

If you want to TR into a new build, do it.
If you want to TR into a cleric (because you enjoyed it), do it.
If you want to stay at epics, get some destinies, grind gear, do some EE... Do it.

At the end of the day, it amounts to the same - do what you want, do what you enjoy, you'll be fine.
As often as it's said, just have fun. If you enjoy 1-20, then the answer is to TR.
If you enjoy epic, the answer is to not TR.
If you enjoy both, play every life at epics, then TR. Even with limited game time, you can TR within a reasonable amount of time. (I play for maybe 1.5 hours a day. I sit there talking for a stupid amount of hours, but that's just me.)

I know this isn't really an answer, but honestly, what can I say?
Try epics, see if you enjoy it. If not, TR. If so, stay there until you get bored. It's what I did, and it's what I do - every life.

Tscheuss
08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
those provide good incentive to TR a time or two back into the same class and are still useful for other classes. I don't see the same benefit to TR a cleric back into a cleric. unless a +2 to turn undead has way more use than I give it credit for.

so let me ask my question a different way. assuming you don't have the time to TR multiple times, e.g. from cleric to wizard to sorc and back again to cleric and are focusing on a cleric with 1 or maybe 2 past lives, was it worth it to you to TR? or would you recommend staying on a first life cleric and spending that time on epic destinies? if it makes a difference, this is a 32 pt build, so the TR would gain only 2 build points. I could see doing a TR to jump from a 28 point build to a 34, especially if the past life feat is worth it.

I found it annoying when turn failed, so I really want every buff I can get for it, but that's just me. I <3 it when turn vaporizes every undead in the room. ;)

danotmano1998
08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
assuming you don't have the time to TR multiple times, e.g. from cleric to wizard to sorc and back again to cleric and are focusing on a cleric with 1 or maybe 2 past lives, was it worth it to you to TR? or would you recommend staying on a first life cleric and spending that time on epic destinies?

Personally, I don't find the cleric past life worth much at all to a cleric and would recommend staying as a first lifer.
Destinies are going to give you WAY more power for the time spent.

SirValentine
08-12-2013, 04:19 PM
maybe my original post wasn't clear, I am considering TRing my first life cleric back into a cleric. trying to decide if it's really worth it.

If you like being a Cleric, and would enjoy levelling up as a Cleric again, then do so. Don't do it JUST for a single Cleric past life.

I don't see the same benefit to TR a cleric back into a cleric. unless a +2 to turn undead has way more use than I give it credit for.

It's not just a bonus to your Turn level, but also an extra Turn. So you could have a Charisma 2 points lower than currently and still have the same number of turns (and still be better at Turning, too). You could then spend those 2 ability points on, say, Dex or Int or something. That's +1 to your Reflex save, or 23 more skill points boosting a spellpower by 23 or something. That's not even counting getting to go up to a 34-point build.

Also, don't under-estimate Cometfall, especially since you DON'T have a big stack of Wizard and FvS past lives to boost your Spell Pen. It's your best crowd control spell against high Spell Resistance enemies.

so let me ask my question a different way. assuming you don't have the time to TR multiple times, e.g. from cleric to wizard to sorc and back again to cleric and are focusing on a cleric with 1 or maybe 2 past lives, was it worth it to you to TR? or would you recommend staying on a first life cleric and spending that time on epic destinies?

If you want to BE a Cleric, and already are, and don't have the time/energy for 2+ TRs, that's fine, you can just stay Cleric and not TR at all. Don't TR JUST to get a single Cleric PL. Cleric PL is decent, but no PL is required ever.

Though you might eventually get tired of high-level and want to TR just for a change of pace.

If you were going to do TWO TRs, I'd go Cleric->Wizard->Cleric.

EllisDee37
08-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah, exactly, the extra turn per rest is nice. I wouldn't dream of using a turn undead to actually, you know, turn undead, but I rather like having an extra burst.

Agreed that it's not worth a TR, but it's a nice perk if you're TRing anyway.

oradafu
08-12-2013, 04:42 PM
The Cleric past life, like the Bard past life, both gained a benefit with the addition of EDs. Prior to EDs, if you didn't have a Cleric or Paladin, the Turn Undead was useless, just like the Bard songs from the Bard past life. With the EDs , you can use some abilities in the Paladin and Bard EDs more often than if you had no past life or class levels.

FranOhmsford
08-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Personally, I don't find the cleric past life worth much at all to a cleric and would recommend staying as a first lifer.
Destinies are going to give you WAY more power for the time spent.

2nd Life is easy enough to get thru - and gains you 34 pt Build as well as the Bonuses from Passive Past Life {DON'T waste a feat on the Active Past Life though!}.

3 X Cleric {If you like Playing Cleric} means you get the FULL 36 pt Build {And if you decide to carry on TRing afterwards you'll have a nice boost for moving into Paladin, Wizard, Sorc or Druid}.

sunshadow
08-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Personally, I get super giddy playing my TR cleric in undead-heavy quests. Gather them up, hit my Turn Undead button, and watch them go bye-bye while everybody else is still swinging at them. It's hilarious watching the giant skellies in Epic Madstone instantly disappear. My guild leader has gotten into the habit of taking me for XP runs in Epic Wiz King because it goes so much more quickly. I With even a modest charisma, the Seek Eternal Rest buff, Silver Flame/Eternal Faith items, and enhancements, turning can be viable.

(I even used a cleric hireling with Turn Undead when I took my TR ranger through the Catacombs. Sure, the skellies cowered rather than being destroyed outright, but they weren't all coming at me, and I could attack one at a time without having an anxiety attack. It was fairly useful crowd control.)

I have been through 3 cleric lives, and each time I TR'ed it was not specifically for the past life feat. Rather, I enjoy the full scope of the game and find it absolutely refreshing to play through low-level content once again, especially as my skill as a player improves, my collection of twink gear grows, and my crafting levels increase. The extra build points and past-life perks are just icing on the cake. For me, the process is more important than the product, and the journey is more important than the destination.

PNellesen
08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
With even a modest charisma, the Seek Eternal Rest buff, Silver Flame/Eternal Faith items, and enhancements, turning can be viable.

Yeah, I've got a 19C/1F/5E with 1 Cleric PL who is melee specced, lowish CHA, but I was pleasantly surprised to find he can reliably turn mobs of undead in anything at his level. I didn't even really think about Turn Undead when I TR'd him (long time ago) and haven't really respecced him for that purpose, but it's nice to have a good insta-kill AoE ability in at least some areas now. (His Implosion flat-out sucks, and Cometfall on him is iffy at best).