PDA

View Full Version : How do I Free the War Wizard (Hag's Prize) in King's Forest?

Dimwhit1
08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
This one is annoying me. It's taken FOREVER just to get this one to show up, and both times I failed. The dialogue only allows me to help her cast the spells (all responses lead to it) and each time it kills the wizard.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

taurean430
08-07-2013, 11:08 PM
This one is annoying me. It's taken FOREVER just to get this one to show up, and both times I failed. The dialogue only allows me to help her cast the spells (all responses lead to it) and each time it kills the wizard.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

I belive it's a bluff check, then a haggle skill check to get the proper dialogue. I know it's social skills involved in getting the correct dialogue option to appear on the menu. I've just not done that encounter for quite awhile so I could be mistaken on the specific skills needed. I think my pally was able to get them with a dc of around 40 (item, gh, versatility skills boost).

Dimwhit1
08-08-2013, 08:15 AM
I belive it's a bluff check, then a haggle skill check to get the proper dialogue. I know it's social skills involved in getting the correct dialogue option to appear on the menu. I've just not done that encounter for quite awhile so I could be mistaken on the specific skills needed. I think my pally was able to get them with a dc of around 40 (item, gh, versatility skills boost).

I don't even see an option to try a bluff check. Unless that check happens in the background.

Of course, that would kind of suck. That means it's impossible to do all the encounters with some characters. My fighter has no bluff or haggle skill, so I can't do it. Lame.

Thanks for the info.

GeoffWatson
08-08-2013, 08:46 AM
IIRC, it has a variety of skill checks, not the same ones every time.

Unfortunately, the times I've tried it, it required a Perform check, which is automatic failure unless you're a Bard. Even a Sorc with great Charisma, a +15 perform item, +6 Cha skills item, and all the spell buffs to skills, automatically fails.

Geoff.

Dimwhit1
08-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Maybe I'll luck out and get to do an Intimidate check. I usually get those.

So do you guys know if the check happens in the background? I never see an option to perform a check.

Dandonk
08-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I saw this earlier today. I definitely saw the check types being mentioned. In my case I saw perform, concentration and bluff (not 100% sure on last one, but think it was bluff).

Dimwhit1
08-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I saw this earlier today. I definitely saw the check types being mentioned. In my case I saw perform, concentration and bluff (not 100% sure on last one, but think it was bluff).

Well dang. I've had the encounter twice, and I definitely did not see the check types in the dialogue. I'll have to take some screen shots next time I get it. If I do...

Dimwhit1
08-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Got it again. There were checks. I have to help her cast a spell. This time around it was a Concentration check and a Bluff check. Neither of which is possible with my fighter. Maybe I'll get lucky and need an Intimidate check for it one of these times...

KonradKoci
08-17-2014, 09:09 AM
The quest is bugged when I do it... I had it several times, tried many different ways...

1) The Hag wants to cast a spell - you fight and defeat her - I get exp, no comendations and FAIL to save the war wizard
2) The Hag wants to cast a spell - I help her - I fail the perform check - FAILED - I kill her - I get no exp but get commendations (Fail to save wizard)
3) The Hag tries to guess my name (killing option - FAIL), playing the game - some checks (diplomacy, bluff, haggle) - I guess her name correctly, she frees the Wizard, he thanks me... and I FAIL to save the Wizard (though I get exp and coms)...

SirValentine
08-18-2014, 07:47 PM
It seems to come in a couple different variations.

In one, it asks you to make skill checks. The skills asked for seem to be random, but if you get high enough totals on them, you succeed and free the wizard.

The other, no skill checks are called for, and, like you, I've never found a option that worked out.

SirValentine
08-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately, the times I've tried it, it required a Perform check, which is automatic failure unless you're a Bard. Even a Sorc with great Charisma, a +15 perform item, +6 Cha skills item, and all the spell buffs to skills, automatically fails.

I've succeeded on the Perform check on a non-Bard.

KonradKoci
08-19-2014, 03:01 AM
It seems to come in a couple different variations.

In one, it asks you to make skill checks. The skills asked for seem to be random, but if you get high enough totals on them, you succeed and free the wizard.

The other, no skill checks are called for, and, like you, I've never found a option that worked out.

The thing is, I have done it in different variations, but EVERY time it failed - and I succeeded in the skill checks required - I only wasn't able to finish it when it did a perform check...

KonradKoci
09-25-2014, 01:13 AM
The quest is apparently fixed now. Just managed to free the War wizard by guessing the hag's name. It didn't bug out like last time.